• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T 

that meal looks Sooooo tasty .

I rarely cook BBR's

I can't image ' splitting ' them

sooo ;  did you use two and put the stuffing

in-between them ?

@rotuts, yes, but in this case since it was just for the two of us, I just used one rack, cut in half. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T 

that meal looks Sooooo tasty .

I rarely cook BBR's

I can't image ' splitting ' them

sooo ;  did you use two and put the stuffing

in-between them ?

Ha if you really want a challenge attempt Julia's stuffed veal breast!  Delicious, but once was enough.

• Like 3

I looked at ( red ) meat prices the other day @ MarketBasket

I rarely get RM , for no particular reason

I favor turkey these days

but they had some very nice looking meat 

and the price surprised me a bit :

the few items I used to get are all over $ 10  USD

but they were well marbled and nicely trimmed !

supermarket packaged  ' choice '

flap meat :  sirloin tips

and the first time i saw this :  TriTip  trimmed

as thick steaks.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Ha!  It wasn't cheap back in '81 or so but I lived near the upscale part of South Pasadena so the butchers stocked it. Ya know for those "ladies who take cooking classes". I was a grad student who got to play in their wonderful shops. First encounter with some not so great canned truffle! Got me interested. Balanced the cost with cows feet at Latin market on other side of town ;)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Ha if you really want a challenge attempt Julia's stuffed veal breast!  Delicious, but once was enough.

@heidih, I just watched a video on Julia's stuffed veal breast and unlike that recipe, there is no skill involved in making the stuffed ribs. And not time consuming either. 

Just a matter of sandwiching the dressing between two racks of ribs.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

1964195989_StuffedBabyBackRibDinnerOctober25th20211.thumb.jpg.06a6801de97a440301dc14a3a982a22c.jpg

Traditional bread stuffing,

216030931_StuffedBabyBackRibDinnerOctober25th2021.thumb.jpg.35462725baf95746c00947aa48e5ba85.jpg

served with mashed potatoes, gravy, squash and steamed green beans. 

Ann_T has a rare focused not at all stressed approach to a meal. I think it is about visualizing the process. Ahead of time. 

I'm an unfocused hack but can pull off a decent meal that is good and hits the daily needs but often wack. Last minute changes. 

Last night I made two humus quick. One zesty and one spicy. A big shredded salad with a dozen greens. (I need choices to last a couple days for lunches). It is Food. It is Fuel. Really good. 

It is rare I pull off something that is cohesive. A gravy off the cuff? No way. Big love for a gravy is not not easy for me. But that is ok....

A pile of fresh humus and salad is easy. 

Sausage cast iron crispy with onions and hot red peppers---arugula and a dozen greens. Corn tortillas. 

IMG_5848.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

26 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@heidih, I just watched a video on Julia's stuffed veal breast and unlike that recipe, there is no skill involved in making the stuffed ribs. And not time consuming either. 

Just a matter of sandwiching the dressing between two racks of ribs.  

I had a good knife. Husband said "why are you doing this? - then he ate it with a smile and hhmmm groanlets. He did do the dishes :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, heidih said:

That's what I said about boning a 22# turkey, stuffing it and trussing it into a nearly natural shape before roasting it for a dinner party. 

Oh, and puff pastry, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

A grilled cheese & ham sandwich (with wonderful Raclette cheese) and a tomato salad …

A5BE662A-FA55-42EC-8E45-A4E8DB830311.thumb.jpeg.d3084aff8d4d5d97336e72c450080972.jpeg

I love the picture of the melting cheese.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Ann_T has a rare focused not at all stressed approach to a meal. I think it is about visualizing the process. Ahead of time. 

I'm an unfocused hack but can pull off a decent meal that is good and hits the daily needs but often wack. Last minute changes. 

Last night I made two humus quick. One zesty and one spicy. A big shredded salad with a dozen greens. (I need choices to last a couple days for lunches). It is Food. It is Fuel. Really good. 

It is rare I pull off something that is cohesive. A gravy off the cuff? No way. Big love for a gravy is not not easy for me. But that is ok....

A pile of fresh humus and salad is easy. 

Sausage cast iron crispy with onions and hot red peppers---arugula and a dozen greens. Corn tortillas. 

I've never made gravy in my life. My husband makes it once a year for Thanksgiving. And I console myself by remembering that @Ann_Tgets up at 3 a.m. or some ungodly hour, so she has time to get a jump on dinner, lunch and tomorrow's breakfast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Veal has never been cheap here in Kansas. Wherever I have lived, actually, it was almost always unavailable.  Sometimes it's around during holidays.

Buffalo Wings were the only thing I made today.  Charlie said they were perfect.  I used Alton Brown's recipe.  First they were steamed, then dried and dried some more in the refrigerator.  They were baked in a hot oven for about 40 minutes before tossing it in garlicky butter with hot sauce.  I used Franks Hot Sauce because it isn't as vinegary as Tabasco. Charlie liked that too.

20211026_163718.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've never made gravy in my life. My husband makes it once a year for Thanksgiving. And I console myself by remembering that @Ann_Tgets up at 3 a.m. or some ungodly hour, so she has time to get a jump on dinner, lunch and tomorrow's breakfast!

This is tragic.    "Gravy" is simply  sauce that reflects the main protein or even veg.    My husband LOVES gravy so we serve it in many manifestations.    Chicken schnitzel with white gravy is simply white sauce enriched with chicken broth (veloute) and a little fresh thyme.    Veal marsala scrapes up veal fond, adds marsala wine and veal broth (think: packaged dry product) and a big splat of butter. 

Turkey, or other roast bird, is as complicated as you want to make it.    You can roast odd-bits of the bird, deglaze and make broth from the drippings, or use canned or frozen bird broth from your butcher.    Just thicken with a slurry of broth and flour.    I  use the white sauce method of heating fat (butter or roast fat) and blending in flour, heating to a froth then adding indicated broth.    Whisk until smooth.    My mother always strained gravy; i don't bother.   

Understanding basic white sauce method opens a zillion "gravy" doors.    5 minutes from thought to table.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Veal has never been cheap here in Kansas. Wherever I have lived, actually, it was almost always unavailable.  Sometimes it's around during holidays.

Buffalo Wings were the only thing I made today.  Charlie said they were perfect.  I used Alton Brown's recipe.  First they were steamed, then dried and dried some more in the refrigerator.  They were baked in a hot oven for about 40 minutes before tossing it in garlicky butter with hot sauce.  I used Franks Hot Sauce because it isn't as vinegary as Tabasco. Charlie liked that too.

20211026_163718.jpg

Those look great - have you tried the toss in salt and baking soda and baking them? I was amazed at how good and crispy this method makes them.

• Like 1

Husband coming home tomorrow so I'm cleaning up my act, or at least fridge.    Joe's Special is a favorite of mine, but tonight it was Joe's Kitchen Sink.  

Beet greens, maitake mushrooms, ground beef, egg, fresh goat cheese. 

IMG_1343.jpg.80c5593e5cd2dae7cf61a25d9b3d69d6.jpg

Looked a little pale so I added a splat of Turkish pepper relish.     Rather yum!

IMG_1346.jpg.2ffcc135e14eec666fd8f090c6c6f2a0.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

30 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Those look great - have you tried the toss in salt and baking soda and baking them? I was amazed at how good and crispy this method makes them.

No I haven't heard of that before.  I will look for a recipe that does that and give it a try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Katie Meadow, as @Margaret Pilgrim said, gravy is so easy to make.  Nothing better than mashed potatoes and gravy. 

Moe and I both love gravy/sauces. Can't imagine only having gravy once a year.   

Oh and just for the record, I don't get up early in order to cook.🙂  I just happen to be an early riser and unfortunately

that means being wide awake usually between 3 and 4.  I don't have to be at work until 10:00 so I might as well cook. 

So nice to have a variety of fish in the freezer from Walcan Seafood.
1800393866_HalibutFishandChipsOctober26th20211.thumb.jpg.27c1d9b759570fc353f82780a39e04e1.jpg
Pulled a couple of halibut filets out for dinner and made fish and chips.
1177099502_HalibutFishandChipsOctober26th2021.thumb.jpg.b10f0b4b093330f7c43d83c33d224b0b.jpg
Tempura style beer batter. Homemade tartar sauce on the side.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

A couple of hippy 'garbage' plates. A NewEngland term for Diner excessive egg/potato/sausage/pancake massive slop. 

I do not usually pic our 'garbage' plates being so piled on and really about next day lunches.

Fresh RG scarlet runner beans, fresh humus, ramen eggs, 10-green shaved salad. Lunch salads packed away but a great 'garbage' dinner.

A zesty and a spicy humus. So good I'm soaking another 2 cups of garbanzos tonight.

IMG_5854.jpeg

IMG_1363.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Ann, I'm up at 3-4am. I do the same. I use that time in the kitchen. 2020 I took an on-line class via Cornell about infectious disease and studied 3-5 am, but had always something on the stove on a timer. Time management is not a 'nut job'. It is a dance about calm and simplicity---having control over time used wisely. 

All it does is shift your clock a few hours. Early hours are very meditative and calming. 

37 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Katie Meadow, as @Margaret Pilgrim said, gravy is so easy to make.  Nothing better than mashed potatoes and gravy. 

Moe and I both love gravy/sauces. Can't imagine only having gravy once a year.   

Oh and just for the record, I don't get up early in order to cook.🙂  I just happen to be an early riser and unfortunately

that means being wide awake usually between 3 and 4.  I don't have to be at work until 10:00 so I might as well cook. 

So nice to have a variety of fish in the freezer from Walcan Seafood.
1800393866_HalibutFishandChipsOctober26th20211.thumb.jpg.27c1d9b759570fc353f82780a39e04e1.jpg
Pulled a couple of halibut filets out for dinner and made fish and chips.
1177099502_HalibutFishandChipsOctober26th2021.thumb.jpg.b10f0b4b093330f7c43d83c33d224b0b.jpg
Tempura style beer batter. Homemade tartar sauce on the side.

I got out of bed today at 3:00 myself.  Technically 2:54.  So far my only cooking is a batch Momofuku ranch.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou