• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just for the record, in sauces or similar, I always peel the tomatoes. Even cherry tomatoes.

1028808207_cherrytomatoes.thumb.jpg.f36cb54d0d0ca23a86c0c3ae2c97ab60.jpg

I remember a summer years ago that the big tomato plants just up and died and I was left with only cherry tomatoes.  I peeled sinkfulls of them and canned them.  Ronnie thought I was nuts lol.  I don't think I'd go that far again.  But I'm with you!!  I don't like cherry tomato skins either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

But I'm with you!!  I don't like cherry tomato skins either.

I don't mind cherry tomato skins per se. I just don't want them in sauces. If I'm eating them raw or fried with breakfast, as I often do, I'm happy with the skins.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What to do with a mountain of leftover brown rice?

As suggested, freezing would work.

My mom would make fried rice with rice leftovers...use the protein of your choice (my mom would dice up a ham steak...chopped shrimp would be good, as well). She used small-diced celery and diced water chestnuts (canned) to add some crunch to contrast against the soft rice (with chopped green onion, too).

Plus, you could make a rice pudding. With raisins. None of my brothers liked raisins so I always knew when my mom made rice pudding, I would be the only kid eating it so I pretended she made it just for me.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sous vide tri-tip (or in German Bürgermeisterstück), cooked 7h@55 oC and seared in clarified butter. Served with cheesy mashed cauliflower and caramelized courgette with garlic. 

0A59901C-EA45-42BB-A7C8-51E41FDD6E45.thumb.jpeg.923a162a4938ea0b40baca4923f55e7d.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Dante – “chopped cheese sandwich”?  I’m intrigued.  Can you elaborate, please?

Chopped Cheese sandwich:  Saute some onions, add a slab of ground meat, let cook on each side until a bit of a crust forms, then chop the meat up and keep it cooking until thoroughly done. Add melty cheese on top (American is acceptable, as is muenster) and let the cheese melt, serve on a sub roll with ketchup and mayo, topped with lettuce and tomato.  Quick, easy, and completely delicious.  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

41 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Last night was chicken pot pie. Nice gravy from the stock I made Tuesday. (I thought I posted this) apologies if a double post.

IMG_5782.jpeg

IMG_5783.jpeg

Is that a pair of pliers?

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bone-in strip steak, brown rice steamed in homemade chicken stock, kale sauteed in olive oil with garlic and sherried baby bella mushrooms.

PXL_20211015_003420655.thumb.jpg.26f069f4a8f6c36ca6e2deaf85993f21.jpg

Steak was frozen and SVed for two hours at 122F then seared in an antique CIFP at 500F.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that a pair of pliers?

Odd in a food pic, 😜. It is oven pliers. I have a side door wall oven and use them mostly for iron and aluminum bakeware. I use my oven broiler as my toaster so they make it easy to pull out the rack and hot pans, plates, soufflé' dish...LINK 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Odd in a food pic, 😜. It is oven pliers. I have a side door wall oven and use them mostly for iron and aluminum bakeware. I use my oven broiler as my toaster so they make it easy to pull out the rack and hot pans, plates, soufflé' dish...LINK 

I just use tongs for manipulating pans, but I can certainly see how those would give a better grip. Fortunately my drawers could not accommodate even one more kitchen gadget, so I'm safe from temptation (even at that modest price).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Imteresting … what makes the mushrooms sticky ?

If it's the variety of mushrooms - then perhaps they are Slippery Jacks's (just picked a bunch - delish!)

Or - more likely; the caramelizing of them with sugars, etc.

• Like 1

@shain  We were also in a pasta mood last night.  Quick and easy; angel hair with hot Italian sausage, onions and peppers, goat cheese and basil.  "Sauce" was white wine and chicken broth reduced with the sausage.  

angelhair.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

We were also in a pasta mood last night.  Quick and easy; angel hair with hot Italian sausage

Hmmm...

Our first dinner cooked back at home after a short vacay, with everything already in inventory. Started off by browning a couple of hot Italian sausages...

IMG_5070.thumb.jpeg.8596445c74152f79075a75e67c5d2533.jpeg

because who doesn't want that fond? Removed the sausage and added a pint of Marcella's tomato sauce from the freezer, scraping up the fond. Sausages added back after the sauce reduced a bit, and the pasta had just started cooking. The vegetable side had already been on the stove for an hour +...

IMG_5072.thumb.jpeg.3d0b404c76829ca35984489a07f7244c.jpeg

Dinner.

IMG_5077.thumb.jpeg.0fd1989d9ea5ac61324edbcb10e4330c.jpeg

Marcella's smothered cabbage, leeks in lieu of onion.

IMG_5076.thumb.jpeg.51badb2f61ee64a5e67a3cd75d2731bf.jpeg

Ziti with tomato sauce, hot Italian sausage, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Got about 500g SV tri-tip left over from last night. Thought I broaden the culinary horizon of my family and make a french dip sandwich …

EA723CB0-CF29-46EC-9A3F-328A91DB25EA.thumb.jpeg.bb4073c158e3c5f050275242a5890177.jpeg

Just the beef & some really good Provolone from the Italian supermarket …

A1B41D16-6052-4078-8AD4-C190533E6B3E.thumb.jpeg.3d3c1e21287c714ca815c16b766c118b.jpeg

Briefly heated and served with SV stock (augmented by some homemade beef broth, sofregit and fresh herbs) and (commercial) french fries. No complaints 🤗

8F13FFFE-EB8D-4CBE-BC4F-FD7893006153.thumb.jpeg.a38b87c856f03d8fa70fcc070771e7f0.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3