• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

I was wanting to make some corn chowder.  My mom made some that was really good.  The recipe used a can of creamed corn but I prefer make it with whole kernel corn instead of what comes in a can. It also had bacon and potatoes and I added some ham to make it more of a meal.

20211010_105419.jpg

20211010_105431.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

15 hours ago, Duvel said:

Gesundheit !

And kudos for making it look exactly like the chicken fingers with tangy tomato dipping sauce sans sauteed lacinato kale on the side …

Gah!  Fixed now. 

Sometimes copy-and-paste doesn't do the "copy" part.  And sometimes when I'm awake at 2am I don't notice that.

• Haha 1

I think the “Sunday night Ooni” studies are over for this year. No fun when it is dark, cold and somewhat wet on the terrace. So, back to indoorsy pizza making …

Family liked the recent cornmeal inclusion, so I worked on that: upped the poolish time to 36h, reduced the hydration to 63%, added a bit of sugar to get a bit better browning … family is still happy.

Tuna & onion

8C582DF0-DF70-40F1-BB5B-87EFF19972B2.thumb.jpeg.a5206a06d7c2fb717f0bf10f4817394e.jpeg

Mushrooms & sweet ham (tad overcooked crust)

D4DA805F-B4D2-4F6C-A7DC-B115DAC6BC33.thumb.jpeg.bf21764df042e1a9e89d53193a66da7f.jpeg

Homemade Italian sausage

3ACC8303-6EE4-42C2-AE5D-6B7CF234815E.thumb.jpeg.789827a80c16fde9d13d2e987cfa0056.jpeg

Crunchy crumb shot

F3E36B9D-ABB6-4A10-A795-386BE6C123F5.thumb.jpeg.776ae5eac69280e65ffbe4dfa0bd6384.jpeg

Little one requested “Mary Poppins Returns” - again. I can’t recount how often we’ve seen that movie this year …

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

This is what I call a couldn't face the struggle to go shopping with one hand and a crippled leg meal. My friend J who has been helping me was unavailable. So it's a freezer and leftover show.

Chicken liver fried rice with egg, garlic, ginger, chili, hothouse chives, Shaoxing wine and leftover rice from yesterday (deliberately cooked to have for today).

It was OK.

915439069_friedrice.thumb.jpg.8a3ede3320e000965d3f7ab62f6921a0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night, I made the Dai flavored beef - no photo, it looked just like this.  I think we may have a mild addiction to this dish! I used the Wild Fork ground elk again (as compared to the last time I made it with bison), which is fantastic with it - much better than the bison - the slight gaminess of the elk was fantastic with the herbs and spices. Unfortunately, I couldn't use sawtooth in the herb mix - my sawtooth plant is struggling right now, so instead I used a whole bunch of cilantro.  And in addition to the curry leaves, I also added a couple leaves of kaffir lime (finely shredded) which wasn't immediately detectable, but gave it a subtle lift.

• Like 4

Recipe from the Indian cookbook I've linked a few times.

I modified it - added Orange Pepper, and diced the potatoes instead of doing them whole.

20211011_172528.thumb.jpg.4b17c0dfb7ee81ad9900d26378fce7e1.jpg

Finished a bottle of Zin with this - paired much better then I expected.  It has asafoetida in it, which makes it hard to place all the flavors.  Also fenugreek seeds, along with coriander, cumin, and cardamom.  And a stick of cinnamon in the oil to start.  And a hot pepper for heat.  We used a bulgarian carrot from our patio.  Finished with yogurt and cilantro.  I'm constantly amazed by this cookbook since it has recipes from all over India.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mmmm, have you ever had this outlier kale prepared well?     Even husband who balks at anything green scarfs this.   

Probably not.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Probably not.

Fry up some garlic in OO.   Remove and maybe use elsewhere.   Toss wet kale leaves into the hot oil.   Stir fry until wilted or seared or scorched, whatever floats your boat.   Salt and pepper.    And maybe change your mind.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Fry up some garlic in OO.   Remove and maybe use elsewhere.   Toss wet kale leaves into the hot oil.   Stir fry until wilted or seared or scorched, whatever floats your boat.   Salt and pepper.    And maybe change your mind.

Thank you for the encouragement but I hope I will never again be that hungry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Then I echo your hope.

A favorite quotation from The Food Explorer by Daniel Stone...

"The coast of Austria-Hungary yielded what people called capuzzo, a leafy cabbage.  It was a two-thousand-year grandparent of modern broccoli and cauliflower, that was neither charismatic nor particularly delicious.  But something about it called to Fairchild.  The people of Austria-Hungary ate it with enthusiasm, and not because it was good, but because it was there.  While the villagers called it capuzzo, the rest of the world would call it kale..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A favorite quotation from The Food Explorer by Daniel Stone...

"The coast of Austria-Hungary yielded what people called capuzzo, a leafy cabbage.  It was a two-thousand-year grandparent of modern broccoli and cauliflower, that was neither charismatic nor particularly delicious.  But something about it called to Fairchild.  The people of Austria-Hungary ate it with enthusiasm, and not because it was good, but because it was there.  While the villagers called it capuzzo, the rest of the world would call it kale..."

There is just one way to eat Kale: as Grünkohl! Harvested after the first frozen nights, boiled into submission for hours with the finest parts of the pig* and served with icecold caraway Schnaps …

E1F11684-1ECC-4F85-9D10-FBD341F61380.thumb.jpeg.784b5b74573d41d50b261fba9091e39d.jpeg

*technically only with those that did not make it in any other dish, sausage or mince. Preferably cured and smoked. “Bregenwurst” would be traditional (with Bregen meaning brain).

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2