• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Time for smoking outside is getting short.  I did a brisket in the smoker. I did all the smoking outside but when it came time to wrap it, it was getting late so I wrapped it and put it in the refrigerator and finished it in the oven today.  Our local grocery chain, Hen House, has whole briskets for sale occasionally and when they do, their USDA Choice is only $45 to $60.  That is about the same price for Prime brisket at Costco but the two times I got the Choice from Hen House, they turned out juicer and as tender as the Prime from Costco.  I have heard mentioned that their Prime might be dairy cattle, IDK whether or not that makes a difference. I just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone cares to comment.   The one I got for today had a funny shaped round end with a little piece sticking up.  When it got done that piece looked burned but when I cut it off, it was not burned burned.  It was blackened but just under the skin, it was moist and juicy.  I imagine it was like Arthur Bryants original burnt ends.   He'd trim off the blackened ends and put them out for free so people could nibble on them while waiting in line to order.  People started asking other restaurants to put burnt ends on their menu.  The restaurant owners knew there were never going to be enough burnt ends to have as a daily menu item so they came up with what Kansas City's burnt ends are today and not at all like Bryant's was 50 years ago.

My smoker was 9 years old in June.  It will probably last longer than I will.

20210924_143145.jpg

20210924_143204.jpg

20210925_175510.jpg

20210925_175801.jpg

Nice gear and great looking brisket. I haven't done brisket for a long time mostly because I can't bring myself to pay $8.99/# or more.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shain said:

Stir fried tofu, mushrooms, zucchini, caramelized onion, in shawarma style seasoning (with fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, paprika, allspice, cinnamon, garlic). Tomatoes, tahini sauce, amba.

PXL_20210920_122431426.jpeg

Amazing!

I don't know if the food tastes good or not, but the plating design is amazing, amazing in a simple way; how the colors and the graphics on the plate just work so well with the colors of the ingredients.

dcarch

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Walcan delivered halibut to the door Friday.  I've started ordering it in 1/4lb pieces.  Perfect portion size.

1718091396_ParmesanCrustedHalibutSeptember25th2021.thumb.jpg.f93d597a7ab2ffff6393623b8d1d1333.jpg

Made Parmesan Crusted halibut for dinner last night.  With roasted potato wedges.

Wish I could get fish delivered a 1/4 pound at a time.  Sometimes I can order 1/2 a pound but usually a pound is the minimum I can buy.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Amazing!

I don't know if the food tastes good or not, but the plating design is amazing, amazing in a simple way; how the colors and the graphics on the plate just work so well with the colors of the ingredients.

dcarch

Thanks! Though honestly I haven't gave the looks much thought :)

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wish I could get fish delivered a 1/4 pound at a time.  Sometimes I can order 1/2 a pound but usually a pound is the minimum I can buy.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I never order just a 1/4 pound, this time  I ordered ten 1/4 pounders.  It is available in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb pieces. In the past I have also ordered it fresh and vacuumed packaged it myself.    I still have at least three 1/2 pounders in the freezer.  But I prefer to have 1/4 pound pieces in the freezer.  

You can order as little or as many as you want , and delivery is free on orders over $50.00.  Best delivery service ever.  They deliver twice a week down island and send a tracking link to a map, so you can follow the driver down island.  I know within minutes when the car will be pulling into the driveway.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Have never had wild turkey. How does it differ from domestic turkey? The burgers look fabulous!

Most wild turkey is dark meat..a lot of moving parts with these birds.   They are inn corn fields so good feed.  The legs are really inedible, just to stringy.

So a bit more gamy in flavor,  but not that noticeable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Its good to have Morels

So I have these pawpaws. Super sweet and fruity. Banana crossed with strawberry. Not a huge yield from each when you get the seeds out.

011.thumb.jpg.3d76fe39027dc9ddc409c49eeec620b1.jpg

An experiment...mashed pawpaw and bacon on salmon. It was OK, but there may be no savory use for pawpaw.

061.thumb.jpg.cb577d4ba9364e53ee9512a32b92cdca.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

So I have these pawpaws. Super sweet and fruity. Banana crossed with strawberry. Not a huge yield from each when you get the seeds out.

011.thumb.jpg.3d76fe39027dc9ddc409c49eeec620b1.jpg

An experiment...mashed pawpaw and bacon on salmon. It was OK, but there may be no savory use for pawpaw.

061.thumb.jpg.cb577d4ba9364e53ee9512a32b92cdca.jpg

nice effort but maybe as previously noted by others - out of hand is best.  Reminds me of my plethora of pears and a found quince tree. Poached in spiced syrup and served with Schlag ended up the most enjoyable as raw did nit work with them. "Beyond the Paw Paw Trees" was one of my favorite books as a child - but I've yet to taste one. Thought they were North American mangoes https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1518739.Beyond_the_Pawpaw_Trees

pear tree.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

@TicTac 

that ' middle '  lighter colored

slice  is talking to me

well , the whole plate is

congratulations  looks so delicious.

Lighter coloured is organic Scottish salmon belly.  I seared those for about 20 seconds per side. Goes to show how deep an orange the trout is! 

• Like 1

Really the only place for us to go on a Saturday night, sans ressie, is our local for the last 12+ years, Cafe Katja. (Note rarely are Saturday nights out, but making a fancy lunch at home will do that).

IMG_4950.thumb.jpeg.93f6ed63cfdb180397b807c312eca06c.jpeg

It's almost October, amirite @Duvel?!

I knew someone had been out fishing, as well as what's runing right know, and we really like this dish...

IMG_4951.thumb.jpeg.c1520ab83c0984451f6b44aed94b8dde.jpeg

The star attraction above, in the crock - smoked Long Island bluefish paté. Some pickled onions and radishes and major rye toast. Excellent.

IMG_4952.thumb.jpeg.b787dcb18797d1a508133a9fa157e86b.jpeg

And my main - a grilled flank steak, parsleyed potatoes, heirloom tomatoes, and some greens. Wowza. Sig Eater went a bit more traditional with the berner würstel, a dish Katja does perfectly. 

Way too much to drink; including some schnapps and more wine. OK - So Sunday it's back to slaving over the stove...

IMG_4953.thumb.jpeg.a5e7502bf02f1f2ef7fb878fbd9d74f6.jpeg

Sorta carciofi alla Romana; actually frozen artichoke hearts cooked in a nice court bouillon.

IMG_4956.thumb.jpeg.ee7ff96a0b007b8bc026f02b2128518c.jpeg

Raffetto's ricotta cheese ravioli in Marcella's simple tomato sauce. Ricotta salata grated upon.

image.png.d910e93529ac4bccc8402a7a72d94609.png

Quite interesting, this wine.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dinner09262021.jpg

APO arctic char.  Smoke detector off.  Liberal Gaspesian Salmon Rub:

https://epicesdecru.com/products/epices/rub-gaspesien-a-saumon

Some of the finest fish I have enjoyed.  Any moment I expect the visions to embark.  Hopefully with English subtitles.

Edit:  lemon wedge not shown.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I never order just a 1/4 pound, this time  I ordered ten 1/4 pounders.  It is available in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb pieces. In the past I have also ordered it fresh and vacuumed packaged it myself.    I still have at least three 1/2 pounders in the freezer.  But I prefer to have 1/4 pound pieces in the freezer.  

I started ordering salmon from Alaska, sushi grade, a few years ago---twice a year...now and February. 5-7 ounce portions, cyrovaced. Dry ice packed. Straight to the freezer. Local meat farm share is excellent. In our area once a month using their own vans. Dry ice. Cyrovaced but one pound portions. Fine as beef is less often in our diet. Dinner, lunch, dinner---6 meal portions in a pound. Different recipes. Having the portions sealed in thicker than food saver bags---no added chore...dreamy. 

The past week was a blur. I was a singleton. Mr.H worked late all week. (my sous chef). I multi-tasked many salads, grains, slaws. For lunches and easy mixed salad bowl dinners. Every other night to spread out the prep. Fed on nibbles. Worked out well and a re-peat this week. 

Wednesday insalada caprese, prosciutto bacon. Next day lunch salads, slaw, mixed grain. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 7.44.35 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:41 AM, Ann_T said:

A sloppy plating of Momofuku BoSaam I left for Mr.H in the fridge---I went to bed. Ramen eggs he loves. A favorite we make quarterly. Gives a couple freezer food saver packs for quickie mid-week meals. Made a killer lunch Cubano. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.02.01 PM.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

What is left over wine?

dinner is something I would enjoy.

the leftover wines were a from a Sunday restaurant lunch with 6 people and 8 bottles of wine. 3 bottles each with about 1.25 glasses left

• Thanks 1