• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

@mgaretz and @rotuts – He ordered 3 tri tips at Publix yesterday – one for him to try smoking again, one for me to SV, and one for when our friends come next month.  They aren’t easy to get here in VA, so we went ahead and ordered them. 

@MetsFan5 – it was the shrimp that was roasted – the corn was fried in a pan.  The shrimp is tossed with olive oil and Old Bay and then roasted at 400F for about 6-7 minutes, depending on size.  You can do them peeled or not. 

@weinoo’s comment regarding the corn reminds me of a question I have had about it.  I grew up eating what was called “Silver Queen” corn in the Washington DC and Eastern Shore of MD area.  It was white and had teeny-tiny little kernels of corn.  Lately, when I see corn labeled “Silver Queen” its white but has normal-sized kernels and isn’t quite as sweet as I remember.  Is this anyone else’s experience, or am I misremembering?  I know that my mother thought the same thing. 

I tried out a new recipe for dinner on Tuesday:

IMG_6960.jpg.85dea89463a78ed40ca42a46070e2274.jpg

A parmesan noodle mix, spinach, Swiss cheese, chicken, Parm, and almonds. ☹️  Just completely blah and I forgot how leftover cooked spinach is foul.  Mr. Kim put some refrigerated Alfredo sauce on it last night, but it didn’t help much. Bless his heart, he finished it for lunch today.   

MIL just dropped by with leftover pancit and cake from her girlfriends’ lunch.  One of them is Filipino and makes excellent pancit.  I think that’s for dinner tonight.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo’s comment regarding the corn reminds me of a question I have had about it.  I grew up eating what was called “Silver Queen” corn in the Washington DC and Eastern Shore of MD area.  It was white and had teeny-tiny little kernels of corn.  Lately, when I see corn labeled “Silver Queen” its white but has normal-sized kernels and isn’t quite as sweet as I remember.  Is this anyone else’s experience, or am I misremembering?  I know that my mother thought the same thing. 

Good question, but here's what is sold as silver queen...

image.png.85e2531e4c303c589ea07a1f106960d5.png

It's lack of sweetness to your taste maybe just mean it was harvested a day or two ago?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo’s comment regarding the corn reminds me of a question I have had about it.  I grew up eating what was called “Silver Queen” corn in the Washington DC and Eastern Shore of MD area.  It was white and had teeny-tiny little kernels of corn.  Lately, when I see corn labeled “Silver Queen” its white but has normal-sized kernels and isn’t quite as sweet as I remember.  Is this anyone else’s experience, or am I misremembering?  I know that my mother thought the same thing.  ☹️

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Good question, but here's what is sold as silver queen...

It's lack of sweetness to your taste maybe just mean it was harvested a day or two ago?

Do we need a thread on fresh corn?    As I posted someplace, husband and I gave up on fresh corn some years ago as the available varieties became sweeter and sweeter until they lost all corn flavor.   Yellow corn completely disappeared from our local farms, like Brentwood and the Delta.   Silver Queen, which was originally a delicious white corn became sugar bombs.   We seldom bought fresh corn for a couple of years.   Then this year yellow corn reappeared and white corn that had a good flavor/sugar balance was available.    Did farmers/seed developers get the message that they had gone too far?    Dunno.    Your thoughts?

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Do we need a thread on fresh corn?    As I posted someplace, husband and I gave up on fresh corn some years ago as the available varieties became sweeter and sweeter until they lost all corn flavor.   Yellow corn completely disappeared from our local farms, like Brentwood and the Delta.   Silver Queen, which was originally a delicious white corn became sugar bombs.   We seldom bought fresh corn for a couple of years.   Then this year yellow corn reappeared and white corn that had a good flavor/sugar balance was available.    Did farmers/seed developers get the message that they had gone too far?    Dunno.    Your thoughts?

When I was growing up, spending long summers at the south Jersey shore, corn was plentiful and good.  I have no idea what variety.  Later as a young married, Silver Queen was regarded as the epitome of maize.  I even tried to grow a few ears more than once.  Now, for decades, the only corn available from local markets is "bicolor".  Sometimes OK, sometimes not so OK.  Nothing with which to become enraptured, however rarely awful.

But it is a long slog till next summer so enjoy what corn you have while it is here.  I have two ears in the refrigerator.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bugialli's maiale ubriaco from The Fine Art of Italian Cooking (p443).

Before @Duvel asks, since I don't know when I'll be working and paid again, I ordered a camera tripod while I have funds in the bank.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I'd be glad to rent you a room or share left overs with you is if you were a neighbor. 

Thanks! But unfortunately I live in Northern NJ. 

My dinner tonight was shredded romaine lettuce with chicken, avocado, fresh corn, tomatoes and avocado. Essentially a chopped salad. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Kim ShookThe Silver Queen that I used to grow had the smaller kernels like you remember.  Over the last few years I've switched to Nirvana--much bigger, juicier kernels.

@Norm MatthewsI need to make some more of that China Coast dressing that you do.  We loved it.

It's still dark here at almost seven in the morning--it poured rain all night.  The garden is going to be a slog.  Debating on waiting until this afternoon to pick, but then it will be hot.  I'm rambling.  I want an iced coffee but I don't feel like making it lol.

Dinners have been wedged in-between canning and cooking up tomatoes.  

Venison chili over zoodles with shishito peppers

thumbnail_IMG_1198.jpg.ef97cddb7dffe7c83632cdfac2e5cf3d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1199.jpg.6dc1f3ad41a22552f51c12f730ba8220.jpg

Every meal has a big plate of tomatoes on the side :)

Turkey sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_1200.jpg.56f0c61c6644cb092b7203cd5a8f9097.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1202.jpg.8c11f6e3f7e61c552396815a1229c7e2.jpg

Chicken strips

thumbnail_IMG_1210.jpg.b09185ac2a9699e955f4e495f8a40c54.jpg

Pepperoni pizza--basil from my plant on the porch

thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg.74c4351a18be6355e3ca01c65af42cd9.jpg

Ronnie grilled beef steaks last night.  Corn was pretty good--from Imperfect Foods.

thumbnail_IMG_1212.jpg.41d8b955bb098484a8567d1cc5f4ba77.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Odd to be on a humus kick after a long hiatus from the dip. Made some grains and beans and salad options for a storm prep thinking power outage was eminent. We were spared but nice to have a fridge full of snack options. 

Bonus salad dressing adding AC vinegar and a bit of toasted sesame oil to the blender jar to rinse the good stuff, no waste. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 9.07.02 PM.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Rice noodles, beetroot, shrimps, some coconut cream, lemon grass, ginger, red curry paste, anise, makrut lime leaves, lime zest and juice, basil, coriander seeds, oyster sauce. Spicy-sweet-sour.

Onion salad with chili, scallions, lime juice, zest, fish sauce, basil, mint, sesame, soft eggs. With sticky rice.

PXL_20210724_185449873.thumb.jpeg.1c3bc322626f35aae2b142d63399c232.jpegPXL_20210724_185829577.thumb.jpeg.d19cd9783402b3f282aecdbd57c978c0.jpegPXL_20210724_185511754.thumb.jpeg.b3e125ce9368eb4c0dfe3e31da70f057.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

I don't give onions enough play like your salad. The dressing is familiar to me. Must try. Also those look like cashews on the noodles mimicing the shrimp shape. Sister in her closet cleaning frenzy unearthed  couple tins of cashews. Kinda stale so I tried roasting and wow quite enjoyable,. Deeper roast than what usually sold here as roasted. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I don't give onions enough play like your salad. The dressing is familiar to me. Must try. Also those look like cashews on the noodles mimicing the shrimp shape. Sister in her closet cleaning frenzy unearthed  couple tins of cashews. Kinda stale so I tried roasting and wow quite enjoyable,. Deeper roast than what usually sold here as roasted. 

This salad is quite intense, it's made to be eaten with the eggs and rice, otherwise it's very aggressive with the onion-chili-fish sauce combo.

We love onions, and raw onions are quite popular in the middle east.

One of my favorite quick preps is raw onion marinated in leftover olive brine (one made with green bitter olives, whole lemon slices, olive oil, bay, garlic and some colve. Not overly salty). It's eaten as a side to hummus or eggs.

Another is onions finely sliced and mixed with sumac and olive oil. A classic with grilled meats, especially kebabs, and also in a pita, with falafel, or a sort of sabich with eggplants and eggs.

I like finishing dishes with some nuts, and cashews are a good neutral yet flavorful option.

We always have a box of homemade mix in the fridge - cashews, almonds and peanuts are the base. Sometimes we add pecans, walnuts or pistachios; and more rarely hazelnuts or pepitas.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Many years ago, I managed to train my No. 1 fish supplier not to automatically scale,  gut and prepare my purchases for the only dish she knows how to cook. She often serves me before other people who are in line, as she knows she only has to throw my fish into a bag, weigh it, print out a ticket, attach said ticket and I will go away happily to pay for it. For her other customers, she has to descale, gut and, depending on the species and said customers' whims, then render it suitable for cooking to their recipe. I prefer to do that myself.

Today, however, I decided to do it her way, but habits took over and she did no preparation at all and the fish was in my hands before I knew it. I shrugged and took it home.

Normally for this dish, I would use sea bass, but it seems the sea bass catcher decided to take a day off, so this is red drum, a fine substitute.

I was planning to steam it in a vaguely Cantonese style, but with twists.

So after doing the descaling, gutting etc., I sliced some garlic and slipped it into the slashes I had made along the body of the fish (both sides). The same with some ginger. Then with some hot red chillies (a twist). I rubbed the  body and cavity ,which I had previously degutted, with salt and Shaoxing wine, then left the fish for about 20 minutes.

It was then put onto my steaming plate and had more chillies and scallions strategically placed on top.

1284244905_stemedfishbefore.thumb.jpg.988ee5ae4eb97c8c029acdfc10b276a8.jpg

After a pause to take its photo, I placed that into my wok on a rack over water and steamed it. After 10 minutes I transferred the fish to a serving plate over some chayote shoots (my spellchecker just tried to "correct" that to "coyote shoots", which would have confused you!) And added a quarter of lemon (another twistette).

Here it be.

1194411889_steamdfish-after.thumb.jpg.f577320ec64c0e5291d43194e1be8963.jpg

Served along with stir-fried Shanghai greens (what you probably call "baby bok choy") and rice.

Happy mouth.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto