• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

5 hours ago, alwaysdrawing said:

Made a knockoff version of spicy rigatoni from Carbone. 

It’s a version of penne alla vodka served at Carbone in SoHo NY (and Hong Kong and Vegas). Basically a vodka sauce with San Marzano tomatoes and Calabrian pepper paste, combined with an onion soubise. 

026A21FA-7B5F-456E-A0B6-E464EBBE78C2.thumb.jpeg.669ae34a710ddf096791effca301771a.jpeg

C0627317-5938-4AA9-8697-A5028165A6D2.thumb.jpeg.bf15f65862aff420ef82d952af52ffea.jpeg

2754DC37-50CD-4899-9779-8BC7EE37EC73.thumb.jpeg.0665f83f2aa818ea29a8d8036bdc6405.jpeg

83E36C7F-1EE8-4943-A18A-C9703AE09614.thumb.jpeg.8aec3840375ac37b09a944284fb15903.jpeg

I think they serve the same dish at Parm as well. Looks great. 

• Like 2

I have been making a chicken recipe with a honey and orange sauce since Charlie was little, so when I saw this one with orange, I wanted to try it. It is good but I have not decided yet if it like it better.  It is batter fried and so a lot more effort to make it.

20210829_174210.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Scallops with roast cauliflower puree and veg.

Perhaps I was a little generous with the puree.

20210829_090948.jpg

Looks great. Do you only sear the scallops on one side. I just had a dismal failure trying to sear scallops. Couldn't get them to release from the pan. What's your secret?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

39 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have been making a chicken recipe with a honey and orange sauce since Charlie was little, so when I saw this one with orange, I wanted to try it. It is good but I have not decided yet if it like it better.  It is batter fried and so a lot more effort to make it.

20210829_174210.jpg

What did Charlie think? Was the older recipe pan fried or sauteed?

4 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie is out with friends.  I don't know if he will be home before dark.  He will have leftovers tomorrow, I suppose.  The older recipe was oven baked. It uses whole Cornish hens. 

Good memories on the Cornish Game Hens back in the 80's. Did them in a fruit & wine sauce that inckuded cranberry, and roasted with grapes with a bit a sausage in thr cavity. Sounds like Charlie is ore in the camo of what we here refer to as Panda Express Orange Chicken, Trder Joes used toi and may stil have it in the freezer section, You bake the breaded pieces till crisp and it comes with orange sauce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Looks great. Do you only sear the scallops on one side. I just had a dismal failure trying to sear scallops. Couldn't get them to release from the pan. What's your secret?

Thanks!

I just gave a light sear to the bottoms. I was lazy.

I cook them sous vide to 123F, that way the big ones and the little ones are equally cooked.

Then I sear them in hot butter in a well-seasoned carbon steel pan.  No problems with release. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Good memories on the Cornish Game Hens back in the 80's. Did them in a fruit & wine sauce that inckuded cranberry, and roasted with grapes with a bit a sausage in thr cavity. Sounds like Charlie is ore in the camo of what we here refer to as Panda Express Orange Chicken, Trder Joes used toi and may stil have it in the freezer section, You bake the breaded pieces till crisp and it comes with orange sauce.

This recipe that I tried today may be a Panda Express copycat. The chef who wrote it was Asian and said it was better than take-out.  I don't remember if I ever ate at Panda Express.  I probably did once or twice but I don't remember specifically if or when.  Charlie still asks for the Game hen recipe at least a couple times a year.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

This recipe that I tried today may be a Panda Express copycat. The chef who wrote it was Asian and said it was better than take-out.  I don't remember if I ever ate at Panda Express.  I probably did once or twice but I don't remember specifically if or when.  Charlie still asks for the Game hen recipe at least a couple times a year.

Well should you do it again do post. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanks!

I just gave a light sear to the bottoms. I was lazy.

I cook them sous vide to 123F, that way the big ones and the little ones are equally cooked.

Then I sear them in hot butter in a well-seasoned carbon steel pan.  No problems with release. 

How long in the SV?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Pork with orange jasmine and hand-pulled noodles. Also contains garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, potato starch, soy sauce, green 'beautiful people' chilli, scallions and sesame oil.  

1036051091_porkandorangejasminelamiannoodles2.thumb.jpg.798b373e358f20079007947d54c654f1.jpg

1609457195_porkandorangejasminelamiannoodles.thumb.jpg.c3a117228eb3aa2dfa356955d61c061e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

My birthday dinner

Many happy returns. It is so unusual to see you cooking for yourself instead of for Moe! Yet I am certain you enjoyed each other’s company while you devoured such great food.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Recently Caught Halibut (  Patient brought in from a fishing trip ) Caponata/ Beans/ local corn

51410753447_1f15d00372_z.jpg

Beautiful photograph!

There are worse things to catch from a patient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ann_t's birthday dinner is gorgeous. I did the same August 15th for my birthday. I requested homemade scrapple/varregated eggs breakfast, stuffed squash blossom brunch/salad...then lobster rolls dinner....thankfully it fell on a Sunday. DH loves prep and chopping but not seasoning/finishing. So we had lobster rolls Sunday, scrapple/eggs Monday, then squash blossoms Tuesday. Three day birthday. My eyeballs were too big for prepping all that. 

IMG_5543.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2