• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Vegetable coconut curry with carrots, yellow bell peppers, and summer squash, plus Thai basil/cilantro/lime.garlic/ginger.   I added mushrooms to all but my niece's bowl.  It would have been better with peas and/or green beans, but my niece dislikes those too, and according to her they flavor the entire dish.  She goes back to college Sunday and then I will be back to cooking only one type of dinner in the evening for a while, so I do not mind catering to her tastes this week.

889094703_thaticoconucurry.thumb.jpg.2e8a2cd8ef3d190cf1b99fe7676b99d5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:15 AM, shain said:

Pasta, inspired by caponata. Eggplants, over roasted cherry tomatoes, browned onion, pine nuts, almonds, some herbs, olive oil, orange zest. Baked ricotta.

PXL_20210813_184947523.thumb.jpg.365a156c22d6072d9d726d64978aa949.jpg

I am intrigued by this baked ricotta concept.

I wouldn't dare suggest that this is larp in any way, but it does have Laotian / Thai influences. I would have made something more authentic, but didn't have all the required ingredients - or appropriate salad materials - and it was too hot to go out!

So, here we have hand-minced beef marinated in Thai fish sauce and freshly squeezed lime juice with finely chopped lemongrass, Thai chillies and makrut lime leaves, then stir fried. I did have scallions but forgot to add them. Duh!

Served with a simple lettuce and tomato salad, dressed with more lime juice.

not larp.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I wouldn't dare suggest that this is larp

Food doesn't have do be authentic or have a name to taste good. Nowadays everything has to be named. Growing up, the only name our food had was breakfast, dinner, and supper.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:09 PM, mgaretz said:

Burger and grilled cauliflower, cooked on the Ninja Food Grill at the same time, along with steamed spinach with butter.

Simple food but it always looks simply delicious.

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Moe and I celebrated our 42nd Anniversary today.

Happy anniversary and may you have many many more.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Food doesn't have do be authentic or have a name to taste good. Nowadays everything has to be named. Growing up, the only name our food had was breakfast, dinner, and supper.

Of course not, but when a name is widely applied to a certain dish, even one which has many variations, appropriating that name for something which doesn't really resemble that dish strikes me as disrepectful at best, dishonest at worst.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

appropriating that name for something which doesn't really resemble that dish strikes me as disrepectful at best, dishonest at worst.

And that is exactly my point. Don't call it something it isn't just to give it a name. Seems to me a great subject for a new topic.

Just now, Tropicalsenior said:

And that is exactly my point. Don't call it something it isn't just to give it a name. Seems to me a great subject for a new topic.

I think it's been done to death across several topics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I wouldn't dare suggest that this is larp in any way, but it does have Laotian / Thai influences. I would have made something more authentic, but didn't have all the required ingredients - or appropriate salad materials - and it was too hot to go out!

So, here we have hand-minced beef marinated in Thai fish sauce and freshly squeezed lime juice with finely chopped lemongrass, Thai chillies and makrut lime leaves, then stir fried. I did have scallions but forgot to add them. Duh!

Served with a simple lettuce and tomato salad, dressed with more lime juice.

not larp.jpg

Is that iceberg lettuce or some kind of Chinese variety?  I think this was discussed sometime in the past but I can't find it - do Chinese people eat salads?  Other than what I believe was raw Celtuce tops in a salad in a donkey meat restaurant in Beijing or a smacked cucumber salad, I don't recall hearing about too many.  If not, what would Chinese people typically do with that lettuce, stir fry it?

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Is that iceberg lettuce or some kind of Chinese variety?  I think this was discussed sometime in the past but I can't find it - do Chinese people eat salads?  Other than what I believe was raw Celtuce tops in a salad in a donkey meat restaurant in Beijing or a smacked cucumber salad, I don't recall hearing about too many.  If not, what would Chinese people typically do with that lettuce, stir fry it?

It is similar to iceberg and is the only lettuce I've ever seen in China. My friends are surprised when I tell them there are many types of lettuce. There are very, very few Chinese salads. Yes, the smacked cucumber and two versions of tiger salad, which I have posted about elsewhere in this forum.

Yes, the locals will briefly stir fry it or added it to soups or hotpots. I like it cooked, too

• Thanks 3

We are once again in Atlanta, where I am having to adjust to a lack of certain staples, my daughter's strangely equipped kitchen, and her husband's many categories of "Mmm, no I don't think so." They are both on a high-protein diet (she's nursing twins, he's just wired that way) and are picky about certain preparations of ingredients; she seems to have accommodated to most of his quirks. One thing we can all agree on is hot spice. He's game for rice and beans, Sichuan takeout, BBQ. Luckily he will eat fish and shrimp. And almost any kind of chicken. Her cookbook collection is meager, but it fortunately includes the Lucky Peach 101 book. Last night we made the Lemongrass Chicken from the book and it was a hit. The night before we made the lamb burgers and they liked that as well. One of the few things I will be relieved about when I get home, aside from not being in an airport or on a plane, is less meat.

Vegetable sides are a challenge; they hate cauliflower and okra and he doesn't like salads with any vinegar or mayo.  Finding good cheeses, good bread, good ice cream and good stone fruit also seems to be hurdle of olympian proportions. The plums and peaches are dreadful and the lemons don't have much taste. Lemongrass is abundant and so is good beer. And for those of you like me, who have developed a bizarre love of boiled peanuts, the DeKalb Market is up to its neck in the best fresh raw peanuts I've ever tasted, big, meaty and not a bad one in a batch. So we did that and my husband and I ate most all of them, even though we thought the protein content would be a draw. Not so. We are drinking lots of Highland Gaelic Ale, a brown ale made in Asheville. Today we are making a big batch of marinara sauce they can freeze and we can have for dinner with spaghetti and Italian sausages. We make it at home all the time, but prefer it half the time with cauliflower instead of pork. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

We are once again in Atlanta, where I am having to adjust to a lack of certain staples, my daughter's strangely equipped kitchen, and her husband's many categories of "Mmm, no I don't think so." They are both on a high-protein diet (she's nursing twins, he's just wired that way) and are picky about certain preparations of ingredients; she seems to have accommodated to most of his quirks. One thing we can all agree on is hot spice. He's game for rice and beans, Sichuan takeout, BBQ. Luckily he will eat fish and shrimp. And almost any kind of chicken. Her cookbook collection is meager, but it fortunately includes the Lucky Peach 101 book. Last night we made the Lemongrass Chicken from the book and it was a hit. The night before we made the lamb burgers and they liked that as well. One of the few things I will be relieved about when I get home, aside from not being in an airport or on a plane, is less meat.

Vegetable sides are a challenge; they hate cauliflower and okra and he doesn't like salads with any vinegar or mayo.  Finding good cheeses, good bread, good ice cream and good stone fruit also seems to be hurdle of olympian proportions. The plums and peaches are dreadful and the lemons don't have much taste. Lemongrass is abundant and so is good beer. And for those of you like me, who have developed a bizarre love of boiled peanuts, the DeKalb Market is up to its neck in the best fresh raw peanuts I've ever tasted, big, meaty and not a bad one in a batch. So we did that and my husband and I ate most all of them, even though we thought the protein content would be a draw. Not so. We are drinking lots of Highland Gaelic Ale, a brown ale made in Asheville. Today we are making a big batch of marinara sauce they can freeze and we can have for dinner with spaghetti and Italian sausages. We make it at home all the time, but prefer it half the time with cauliflower instead of pork. 

That's too bad about the peaches.  GA used to have excellent ones.  Maybe it was a bad year....

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary @Ann_T!  Lovely celebration dinner.

Had to clean out the basement freezer.  The most hated chore that I have.  Especially when I let the ice build up to where it looks like and iceberg.  Apart from a whole chicken sliding off the second shelf and pummeling my foot --which has turned it lovely shades of blue and purple--it mostly went well and I'm glad it's done.  Found some fish that needed to be eaten.

thumbnail_IMG_1180.jpg.da74440751de5040ccefaee949af0cf3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1181.jpg.d332397a90618a0900eee52d35df2d68.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1182.jpg.eb1b4505ebcc779bfe75c436c9583730.jpg

Hot Italian sausage with sauce and pasta

thumbnail_IMG_1183.jpg.5b842ef266d815d58a057fd97bd1a359.jpg

Smoked turkey sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_1188.jpg.7a9ad94115cbd7f7a9efcbacdfa93282.jpg

FIVE fries, ya'll.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Anniversary Ann. Beautiful meal. Breakfast tiramisu is so clean. I usually see it as a sloppy blob. Happy Moe.,    -sleeve

I've had two nights most bizarre. Cod fillets from a good reputable source. Absolutely zero flavor. Bland nothingness. Even with a miso glaze. Baked and well seasoned. Fortunately the mixed grain, mostly wild rice with a kimchi punch was good.

Not over-cooked cod. It was under-cooked and went back in the over for 5 more minutes. Grains/beans excellent. 

I had an extra fillet meant for cod cakes last night. Nada. 360 to a veg lasagna from the garden haul. Clean out the crisper drawer. First course bland baked cod on top. Baby lasagna using squash planks, spinach, lacinato kale, fresh tomatoes, cold smoked mozzarella and smoked pecorino. 

Dessert....smoked pecorino on popcorn, 😀

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 1.36.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.30.34 AM.png

• Like 9

Happy Anniversary Ann and Moe! I am making lazy cabbage rolls AKA cabbage roll casserole in an effort to use a neighbour's gift of a gigantic cabbage as well as some of the 10 bs. of ground beef that my husband impulsively bought "because it was on sale!" I have asked before for him to please check with me before making large purchases of meat - but this "was on sale!" 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1