• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Lamb chops

rOJKStp.jpg

5I471nq.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 3:36 AM, KennethT said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a charcoal brazier for my apartment, and if I did, I'd probably set off every smoke alarm in the building

At Cha Ca La Vong in 2004/05. Same pan! It was upstairs, downstairs was full, upstairs was heaving, too. Didn't see tourists when I was there. Server brought the food to the table and immediately started cooking up a storm taking us by surprise. She then showed us how to eat the meal. The amount of green onions made my jaw drop (I have a strong aversion specifically to green onions, leeks and Chinese chives, but not other alliums). It was a nice meal in an atmospheric restaurant. Had to change all the clothes and took a good shower as soon as I got back. All the flying fat was worth it.

rYMzEoW.jpg

I make it sometimes, when I see good looking skate at the weekly market. Only use fresh turmeric as I can't stand the powder. Even eat the purple shrimp sauce with it. Have to do it properly.

K48Q1gZ.jpg

And good looking monkfish (the price is more than twice it used to be...). But skate is still my favourite for this.

3CkVEFA.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – do you make your own dirty rice?  The only kind I’ve ever had is from Bojangles’s.  I like it a lot but would like to try to make my own. 

I have in the past, but this time was out of a box. I used Zatarain’s.. 

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You're eating really early or really late today ;)

I finished dinner about 3:00 am.  Forgive me I was tardy putting the picture up.

Forgot to mention the lamb was served with mint sauce and the vegetables were roast in home rendered duck fat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Let’s see if this works this time… Kind of, let me edit… 

I have several meals because I was having trouble posting images from the RV. So:

Yesterday’s tofu stir fry with butter-soy mahi mahi. First time trying Mahi Mahi, I think I overlooked it a bit but it was good. 

177A628B-5B6C-44CC-8C14-7EF8C9F8E724.jpeg

Asparagus frittata with a salad

32F8BA74-C7BD-4EC5-9C01-F0143F61C963.jpeg

First meal back at home instead of in the RV, I had a random craving for something Loco Moco-esque. Stir fried Napa cabbage on the side.

AE37EFB5-30F0-40CD-8D50-ACA6CB3D8CC0.jpeg

One of my RV experiments - quick riff on butter chicken in the instant pot. Turned out okay but a bit too much tomato.

A25047BC-2EF2-4BA2-BB95-A61B79FE4248.jpeg

RV chicken and asparagus risotto in the Instant Pot - overcooked the asparagus because I had to mess around a bit to be able to release the pressure without getting steam everywhere, but I have a system in place now.

D2A4D175-B200-4C52-8E38-094AAD835430.jpeg

RV tacos cooked on a butane camping stove outside - this campsite had a lovely view of Lake Erie so the annoyance of cooking using only a tiny table and my lap was worth it.

235203FE-41A9-4803-B6F5-E4145B20A4D0.jpeg

Edited by quiet1 (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

15 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Lamb chops

rOJKStp.jpg

5I471nq.jpg

At Cha Ca La Vong in 2004/05. Same pan! It was upstairs, downstairs was full, upstairs was heaving, too. Didn't see tourists when I was there. Server brought the food to the table and immediately started cooking up a storm taking us by surprise. She then showed us how to eat the meal. The amount of green onions made my jaw drop (I have a strong aversion specifically to green onions, leeks and Chinese chives, but not other alliums). It was a nice meal in an atmospheric restaurant. Had to change all the clothes and took a good shower as soon as I got back. All the flying fat was worth it.

rYMzEoW.jpg

I make it sometimes, when I see good looking skate at the weekly market. Only use fresh turmeric as I can't stand the powder. Even eat the purple shrimp sauce with it. Have to do it properly.

K48Q1gZ.jpg

And good looking monkfish (the price is more than twice it used to be...). But skate is still my favourite for this.

3CkVEFA.jpg

It's crazy how different your photos are to what I remember.  I was there for lunch in March 2006 and I remember a lot of dark wood around and a charcoal brazier brought to each table.  When you got to the table, there was a laminated sheet of paper lying there saying (in English) that there was only 1 dish and the price.  I'm sure we were on the 2nd floor by the window (unless they have a third floor?) as I distinctly remember our cyclo driver (we took one to get there as a novelty) waving and shouting to us from the street below "yoo hoo!!!!  I wait for you!!!!".  It still cracks us up.

• Like 1

Spicy pork with button mushrooms and asparagus. Included garlic, ginger, turmeric, olives, capers, chillies, olive oil. I had rehydrated some dried maitake mushrooms (hen-of-the-woods), but like an idiot, forgot to use them! Served with orzo pasta.

492228152_Turemericchickenwithmushroomsandasparagus.thumb.jpg.54e61b22870cb74312dc3a0bd2cac2de.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just now, gfweb said:

I was thinking early girl!

We had big wilt problems this year.

Ugh.  I'm sorry.  

Half of ours were killed in a storm a couple months ago...turns out that might not have been such a bad thing.  We would have tomatoes in our bedroom lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Had a kind of sad dinner at a place we’d been to once before.  Not sad because the food was bad (though some wasn’t very good), but sad because it’s pretty obvious they aren’t doing well.  Not sure that this is the place for this little essay, but here it goes.  As with our first visit, we were the only ones in the place and there were no food pickups while we were there.  Our other visit was after church and this one was during what should have been the dinner rush.  It’s especially sad because it is apparent that whoever is cooking knows what they are doing.  We went specifically for the chicken, and it was fantastic:

IMG_6885.thumb.jpg.78e908d01904fba33c5cf8373c867dd3.jpg

Juicy and hot with a thin, brittle coating.  Our sides were mac and cheese, green beans, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, and slaw:

IMG_6886.thumb.jpg.434ff94f9cfa644a257a3a7ba8c45e82.jpg

The mac and cheese, which I had and loved last time, was obviously scraped from a steam pan that had been made earlier in the day.  It was hard and crusted (not in a good way).  The beans were just canned ones, but cooked a bit and flavored well.  The potatoes were real with a few lumps, but the gravy was from a mix, I’m sure.  The slaw was certainly NOT housemade.  Jessica got the fish sandwich, which was made with whiting (I grew up calling this Lake Trout – what it is called on the Eastern shore in MD) that was a bit too fragrant, but well prepared.  When we went last the menu was front and back of a printed menu.  This time the menu was extremely pared down from that with only about 4 sandwiches and 3 dinners left and we were told when we walked in that all the hamburgers (regular and turkey) were sold out already (at about 6:35).  I hate to see people work so hard and have so much talent fail.  I hope that they will be able to carry on in some way – catering or a truck maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 6

Not giggling at your dish but at the provenance.  Louisiana? As a child of Southern California and thus well acquainted with Pirates of the Carib I associate it with boozing pirates ;)  Assuming it was an enjoyable dish. Any interesting twists from a "standard" hamburger casserole? My reference point would be Hamburger Helper which I had a few times as a kid.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

Not giggling at your dish but at the provenance.  Louisiana? As a child of Southern California and thus well acquainted with Pirates of the Carib I associate it with boozing pirates ;)  Assuming it was an enjoyable dish. Any interesting twists from a "standard" hamburger casserole? My reference point would be Hamburger Helper which I had a few times as a kid.

Depends. There are more than a few references to Jean Lafitte and how he would stop and eat in Louisiana, usually in the homes of people who were friendly with him. 
The casserole was excellent, tasted a bit like Beef Stroganoff. It had 15 oz of tomato sauce, ground beef, sour cream, cream cheese, egg noodles, salt, pepper and garlic.

• Delicious 2

22 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Depends. There are more than a few references to Jean Lafitte and how he would stop and eat in Louisiana, usually in the homes of people who were friendly with him. 
The casserole was excellent, tasted a bit like Beef Stroganoff. It had 15 oz of tomato sauce, ground beef, sour cream, cream cheese, egg noodles, salt, pepper and garlic.

Thanks. My mind was just set in the ride ;) And of course I'd blanked that it is in New Orleans Square. And then off to the Haunted Mansion...Ahh- you setoff memories.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

"Scour the veg compartment Soup"   4 small zucchini, quarter head broccoli, half head romaine, handful of sorrel, quarter pound button mushrooms, an onion and two cloves garlic, can of chicken broth, equal amount water.    Blitzed with Bamix, garnished with sour cream, guanciale, green onion.    Complex and quite delish.    And tomorrow morning's Compost Collection cheated of half a bucket!

1515387540_ScreenShot2021-08-24at5_19_48PM.png.33c350d6470e183063ffcef2175da153.png

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

48 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

"Scour the veg compartment Soup"   4 small zucchini, quarter head broccoli, half head romaine, handful of sorrel, quarter pound button mushrooms, an onion and two cloves garlic, can of chicken broth, equal amount water.    Blitzed with Bamix, garnished with sour cream, guanciale, green onion.    Complex and quite delish.    And tomorrow morning's Compost Collection cheated of half a bucket!

1515387540_ScreenShot2021-08-24at5_19_48PM.png.33c350d6470e183063ffcef2175da153.png

Often, clean out the fridge soups are the best! When my husband says, "make that vegetable soup again" I have to say "I can't, it was a one time thing!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bingo!    And those times you combined some mystery meat, a half cup of gravy, another of some kind of tomato sauce, some miscellaneous broth, and other spurious suspects for a one-timer dish.    And it becomes the most requested and memorable plate you've ever created.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.