• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

21 hours ago, David Ross said:

One of my favorites I created last summer, and I'm glad I remembered this morning how delicious it was.  The Pissaladiere.  Not too many anchovy lovers in my world, except me, which only means I can have this all to myself. 

Pissiliadere.JPG

For the Tart/Pizza Dough-

1 packet dry instant yeast

2 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 cup lukewarm water

⅓ cup olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoon cornmeal for dusting

For the Caramelized Onions and Topping-

2 large sweet yellow onions, cut in half then cut in thick slices

3 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

4 sprigs fresh thyme

½ cup beef stock

salt and black pepper to taste

¼ cup olive oil

¾ cup dry-cured Nicoise olives

2 tablespoon anchovy paste

1 tin flat anchovy filets in olive oil

1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts

3 sprigs fresh thyme

3 sprigs fresh oregano

Make the Tart/Pizza Dough-

Place the yeast in a mixing bowl. Add the warm water and sugar and let the yeast stand for 5 minutes to begin to grow. Once you see the yeast is foaming and bubbles are on the surface, add the olive oil.

Attach a dough hook to the mixer. With the mixer running, add the flour and salt. Let the mixer knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and form into a ball. Place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic film and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about one hour.

Make the Caramelized Onions and Bake the Tart-

Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep, heavy saucepan or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the onions and thyme sprigs and sauté the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to turn golden and carmelize about 30 minutes. 

Add the beef stock, and let it cook down with the onions. Continue to cook the onions for another 30 minutes until they are a deep, dark color and the stock is absorbed. Season to taste with black pepper and salt.

Heat the oven to 425°. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape to a thickness of ¼". Cover it with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Drizzle the dough with the olive oil. Brush the anchovy paste over the top of the dough. Add a layer of the caramelized onions. Lay the anchovy filets on top of the onions and dot the top with the olives and pine nuts.

Sprinkle a cookie sheet with cornmeal. Gently slide the dough onto the cookie sheet and bake until the crust is golden about 20 minutes. Remove the Pissiliadere from the oven and cool slightly. Garnish with the fresh oregano and thyme. Cut into squares and serve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Objective Foodie said:

Reverse-sear ribeye, candied pimientos del piquillo and a modern-style Bordeaux.

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.ee68f7385956d93d6cef1efae7a77698.jpg

I keep seeing mention of candies hot peppers of various sorts. Did you make yours, and if so, method?

This was popularised in Spain by Casa Julián (see Matías Gorrotxategi's video making them) to accompany their famous steak. The peppers are quickly sautéed in olive oil and then left to braise/caramelise in the preserving liquid they come with.

José Andrés has another video/recipe, following a slightly different procedure too.

• Like 2

I'm making Michael Symon's "Pap's Pork and Sauerkraut" tonight, but since it is a very unphotogenic albeit delicious dish, decided to take the picture at this stage. The sausage and smoked pork won't be added for another 30 minutes. Due to my not wanting to go out, I'm making a couple of substitions; cajun spice & a bit of cayenne instead of red pepper flakes(since someone didn't add red pepper flakes to the list when they used the last) home smoked pork chops rather than a 1/2 rack bone-in smoked pork loin and a little less meat altogether than the recipe calls for. It is one of my husband's favurite dishes. Excuse the grungy dutch oven - it is well used and I do have a nicer, newer one to use when we have company. We'll have it with local corn, which we are eating at every opportunity while it is available.

IMG_5683.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

23 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Excuse the grungy dutch oven - it is well used and I do have a nicer, newer one to use when we have company

Trust me - if you serve me from that well worn one, I’ll know immediately that my hostess knows how to cook and to eat !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Trust me - if you serve me from that well worn one, I’ll know immediately that my hostess knows how to cook and to eat !

Thank you - I'd be honoured to have you as a guest, should you every find yourself near Vancuver, B.C. As I'm sure you realized immediately, this is a bastardization of Choucroute Garnie, which we first had in Alsace on our honeymoon, 32 years ago. I think it was a highlight of a month in Europe for my husband. The addition of a whole head of cabbage makes it go further I guess!

• Thanks 1

Salmon burgers by Boston Swordfish and Tuna, fried in avocado oil. Ingredients are salmon, dehydrated garlic and spices. Green beans from our garden sauteed in olive oil and this year's garlic. The garlic was just toasted a medium brown..

PXL_20210822_230435769.thumb.jpg.fd32823ef04e6c2d1124812f76f7e364.jpg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

I have those same plates

from some time ago

I always liked the Gold Rim

so rarely used them.

just when it was Just Right.

You must have a different pattern as there's no gold on mine. It's a Mikasa pattern called "Fruit Panorama". It's been out of production for more than a decade. There's a thriving secondary market for the pattern, mostly for the dinner plates.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

You must have a different pattern as there's no gold on mine. It's a Mikasa pattern called "Fruit Panorama". It's been out of production for more than a decade. There's a thriving secondary market for the pattern, mostly for the dinner plates.

The internet photos of this pattern all show a colored border that could be described as "gold" albeit not metallic or gold leaf.    As does yours in your photo.

1229050673_ScreenShot2021-08-22at6_01_36PM.png.a00bc5654cc046e5037f5f2652b677bf.png

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

3 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The internet photos of this pattern all show a colored border that could be described as "gold" albeit not metallic or gold leaf.    As does yours in your photo.

1229050673_ScreenShot2021-08-22at6_01_36PM.png.a00bc5654cc046e5037f5f2652b677bf.png

Those are the ones. The border is actually a light brown and It's only on the top of the dish. Definitely not metallic.

• Like 2

We've never had tomatoes like we have this year.  They look like the perfect ones in the store--only they taste like the best KS tomatoes ever.  It will probably never happen again lol.  But it's nice to have tons to inhale.  Tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

thumbnail_IMG_1161.jpg.6be1932e9737072e124c390ce9b45ee7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1162.jpg.c0c8e5938665acf33d0d70f7b844781e.jpg

Roasted chicken thighs, okra, and @Jaymes'squash

thumbnail_IMG_1165.jpg.135c41f854b79b6270bb3c32f72b73e6.jpg

Big plate of tomatoes and pepperoni and ham pizza

thumbnail_IMG_1168.jpg.84ab8f702edb213f9c6c6381e3174617.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1169.jpg.a6031d99544aaee2787d8a599e9d9ab2.jpg

Deviled eggs and chicken fattoush salad

thumbnail_IMG_1171.jpg.509348c47e498dc8a68a630a73676254.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1173.jpg.3d4cdb91706326ab027db5d3f39569f2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1174.jpg.b8884514db94bb5a68b5f98c9b434161.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1175.jpg.b15b9ae511ac1794e288659f3a26512a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

Big salad with burrata and tomatoes.  My CSA box was three boxes this week, plus a bunch of sunflowers.  One box was entirely tomatoes.  I love this time of year for vegetables, and wish some of the bounty could be spread out to the winter months when all we get are potatoes and onions.

1843590682_capresesalad.thumb.jpg.d9879a48196e8c37284a38e72e0ede4c.jpg

• Like 18

@robirdstx – do you make your own dirty rice?  The only kind I’ve ever had is from Bojangles’s.  I like it a lot but would like to try to make my own. 

@dcarch – those tomatoes are absolutely gorgeous and bless you for donating them.

@mgaretz – I’m sorry that the ribs weren’t good.  Glad the fries were.  Such a delicious looking plate, too!

@weinoo – those duck legs and potatoes look so incredible.  So simple and so perfect. 

@Shelby – good Lord, girl!  What fantastic looking food.  Your tomatoes are killing me and I’m making deviled eggs next time I do hard cooked ones.  I keep looking at @Duvel's holiday tomato-rubbed bread and thinking that one would need your exactly perfect tomatoes to do it right. 

Dinner on Friday was a repeat of the Aldi schnitzel:

IMG_6859.jpg.ad084986aea1728282175ab2467d12eb.jpg

With a slice of my MIL’s chocolate cake (made to celebrate Mr. Kim’s birthday) for dessert:

IMG_6857.jpg.c7ae44f82c4bffef584b9907b828bf5b.jpg

Saturday was leftover spaghetti and meat sauce from that same BD dinner:

IMG_6869.jpg.262c1e4ab383f0fca9e939c68158a5c0.jpg

She does a very nice thing when she’s making spaghetti for us.  She makes her sauce with green peppers and knows I don’t like them, so she makes the sauce to the point of adding the peppers and then sets aside my portion.  She made a ton, so we had leftovers. One of the few leftover meals I care for.  Served with salads:

IMG_6868.thumb.jpg.1dde49996393c5bd07362d5f3bfefcff.jpg

Last night was @Maggie the Cat’s Shrimp and Corn sauté with caramelized cauliflower:

IMG_6881.jpg.64c5dad9aa9427d6f3697a7f62d00846.jpg

Served with tomatoes and a new (to us) pimento cheese:

IMG_6879.jpg.713766824c0060a408fc925774789830.jpg

The corn, tomatoes, and pimento cheese were all from one of the farmer’s markets and were SO good.  We have been getting such good tomatoes this summer and are really going to miss them when they’re gone. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2