• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Won't use this brand of noodles again, they broke up real small.

From what I can see on the internet, "wok ready noodles" are just rice noodles and will be very soft and liable to break up. Especially if you fry them for 20 minutes or did I misunderstand that part?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, heidih said:

Ah Mikasa - so trendy in the 80's. I've always favored the plain green chard. No garden now - long sad tale. Rainbow is pretty but I donlt care for the color bleed when cooking - though as is nutritionally the trend - ya do get to eat the rainbow

Chard is a good container vegetable, if you have a sunny spot.

IMG_4688.thumb.jpeg.0e9fbab9843e343e23ab6f5512abf55b.jpeg

It may have been better had I taken a picture of the finished dish, but by that point, all I could do was sit down. The Instant Pot made its first appearance in a really long time for a 3.5 lb. heritage pork shoulder (which was at least 3/4 lb. of fat) that I butchered up (saving about 3/4 lb. of pork for another dish). Big chunks. And 1/2 lb. of @rancho_gordo's Mantequilla beans soaked/brined for about 4 hours. And the last jug of 3 jugs of this stuff (having already used both the jug of medium and jug of hot purchased a few months ago).

image.thumb.png.d81b86865443f8f23a5007dc729d251a.png

Green chile stew in New Mexican cooking is basically pork braised in roasted green chile with other stuff (not beans, but hey), and it's pretty awesome.  I didn't have all the other stuff, but diced up some onion, shallot, garlic, celery and carrot in lieu of. Also toasted some cumin and coriander and crushed them in a mortar. Browned the pork, removed, threw in the mirepoix to soften, added back the pork, spices (Mexican oregano and bay leaves in addition to the cumin and coriander), about 1/3 of this jug of roasted chiles and a cup of chicken stock. Cooked it all for that 36 minutes and let it natural release. Tasted, salted and smashed a few beans right in the pot to thicken a bit - it was not too soupy, but a little thicker was just right. Holy shit - it was great! I don't think these beans have ever been more perfectly cooked (at least not by me) and flavored. The pork was just at the point where it was shreddable, but not shredded. Holy shit - it was great! Over rice - roasted broccoli alongside.

It's just coming into chile season in New Mexico, by which I mean everywhere you go, you smell chiles roasting. It's like driving through Gilroy during garlic season; you can't escape the smell. And the smell is wonderful.  If I had more freezer room, I'd stock the frozen, diced chiles, but these shelf stable ones work surprisingly well. I also keep a pound or two of the dried reds (which aren't roasted, but still taste smokey); they're the base for many other classic New Mexican dishes - chile colorado/carne adovada being my favorites. And when you can't make up your mind what sauce you want on your enchiladas or whatever it is you're having - ask for Christmas - and get both!

For reds, I like this brand...

image.png.12177107121c1259ce7d8c904e5abccb.png

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That's the one, but this particular clip excludes the setup (like telling the punchline, but without the rest of the joke).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 8/8/2021 at 7:51 PM, MaryIsobel said:

That looks delicious - do you roll it up like a jelly roll? I havent made it in a while, and like most things I make, I think I tend to overstuff it. I love how the middle of your bread is fully cooked!

I tried to figure out how to answer your question without putting in a whole column of commentary but I decided just to post the recipe for Stromboli. The main trick to have the center cook all the way through is to let it rise enough and to make sure that the steam is able to escape from the middle.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

From what I can see on the internet, "wok ready noodles" are just rice noodles and will be very soft and liable to break up. Especially if you fry them for 20 minutes or did I misunderstand that part?

I just stir the noodles through after the 20 minutes cook time, you heat and separate in water. These ones were egg/wheat. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, Kim Shook said:

They ended up being a giant PITA.  I’ve seen folks make them on TV tons of times and read a number of recipes and NOWHERE does it mention that when you flip them (blueberries down) the blueberries will stick to the griddle!  They didn’t burn exactly, but they stuck and I ended up with some ugly, unevenly cooked pancakes.  It’s obviously just me, but I think next time I get a craving, I’ll make my regular pancakes and blueberry syrup!  Before the flip:

@Kim Shook,  you just need to make sure that there is a little bit of batter coating the berries and then they don't stick to the pan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What was the gravy?

• These were the the ingredients but I didn't measure. I mixed them by eye and to taste. I used some brown sugar instead of white sugar.
  •  
  • 1 tbsp [Sauce] Butter
  • 1 tbsp [Sauce] Garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp [Sauce] Onion, minced
  • 1 oz [Sauce] White mushroom, diced
  • 0.25 cup [Sauce] Ketchup
  • 2 tbsp [Sauce] Red wine
  • 0.25 cup [Sauce] Fresh milk
  • 1 tbsp [Sauce] Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tsp [Sauce] Sugar
  • 0.25 tsp [Sauce] Black pepper (to taste)
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Penne, chicken, morels, garlic, ginger, chilli, white wine, scallions.

chicken2.thumb.jpg.45a04b442afa81da868f270a30cb6285.jpg

537531469_chicken1.thumb.jpg.54bcf84ecdee9038d49bef1a70617da5.jpg

Is that chicken breast?  When shopping in your area, are the chicken parts prepackaged (either by the farm/slaughterhouse/distributor or the store itself) or do you deal with the store's butcher?

Just now, KennethT said:

Is that chicken breast?  When shopping in your area, are the chicken parts prepackaged (either by the farm/slaughterhouse/distributor or the store itself) or do you deal with the store's butcher?

It is chicken breast. Not something I usually buy - I prefer dark meat 90% of the time.

The birds are butchered in house by the supermarket staff. I don't recall seeing pre-packaged chicken bits.

Regular markets seldom sell parts; just whole live birds although they will kill and de-feather them for you. But they don't normally break them down into parts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The birds are butchered in house by the supermarket staff. I don't recall seeing pre-packaged chicken bits.

So then I am left wondering. Did you buy a whole chicken which was broken up by staff at the store or did you pick out your chicken pieces from an open, refrigerated bin (as is the  practice  in the Asian stores here)?  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog