• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

33 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Individual Dutch babies dressed with ragu of prawns, clams, onions, sorrel, white wine, well...a little butter...

1395369868_ScreenShot2021-07-28at5_45_53PM.thumb.png.4194eb7aae335acbc9c7e63063cf4909.png

Yum 🥰 !!!

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yep - that's what I've seen on menus that offer the Vietnamese words on their menus.  I've seen them on TV a couple of times, but not all the Vietnamese places in our area have them.

Sadly, my local Vietnamese restaurant doesn't have bánh xèo, either. Fortunately, Vietnam is just down the road. Or will be when we can  travel again.

The best bánh xèo I've eaten were these in Ho Chi Ming City(Saigon). The restaurant only does that one dish.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sadly, my local Vietnamese restaurant doesn't have bánh xèo, either. Fortunately, Vietnam is just down the road. Or will be when we can  travel again.

The best bánh xèo I've eaten were these in Ho Chi Ming City(Saigon). The restaurant only does that one dish.

Viet crepes are easy enough to make at home, requiring almost no exotic ingredients.    To be honest, ours are better than many that we've sampled at Viet restaurants.    There are many reliable recipes on the net; here is one.   Enjoy at will!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Viet crepes are easy enough to make at home, requiring almost no exotic ingredients.    To be honest, ours are better than many that we've sampled at Viet restaurants.    There are many reliable recipes on the net; here is one.   Enjoy at will!   

I know how to make them, thanks, and often do.

Still say those in that place I linked to are the best I've eaten. Also, many of the traditional accompaniments are difficult to source outside Vietnam.

'Exotic' just means 'I can't find these where I am'. Where I live, 'mac and cheese' is considered exotic and sounds disgusting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pizza.  But not in a good way.  As Dylan has said:  "And when finally the bottom fell out I became withdrawn."  This weekend I may clean the oven, or possibly I may not.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was a huge fan of banh xeo in Saigon, but became a convert once I had an amazing example of banh khoai in Hue - it's like a smaller banh xeo, but crispier, and came with the most addicting, murky looking sauce.  And yes, part of it is the accompaniments which are unavailable elsewhere - like trai va - some kind of unripe fig that I had heard only existed in Hue. I found it hard to believe they didn't exist elsewhere (reminded me of the magical well water found in Hoi An) - but the story goes that people come from all around Vietnam to Hue for a few things- the trai va and mam tom chua - fermented raw shrimp.

• Like 3

@payok

I take it you cooked your beef SV ?

it looks perfect in terms of ' done-ness '

if it ends up dry ' in-the-mouth '

it not a SV issue

but the meat itself.

no to very little intra-muscular fat ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Zucchini flower abundance this year (no complaints!) …

stuffed with fresh ricotta, mozzarella, sliced prosciutto (Excuse the un-plated photo but it’s the best you’re going to get as these went straight to the mouth!)6CAB1823-B3E0-4FC7-81F3-17BE6076B8B4.thumb.jpeg.747b99754dc346f2255dea7191f5748f.jpeg

sauteed with a Mexican queso fresco and eaten with tacos 

7B66C1DC-A016-43E5-ADC6-FAE95529CFEF.thumb.jpeg.42ad687fe2dfa0d2f68a8be892b9b2ec.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

@TicTac One of my favorites alongside fried oregano blossoms. Are yours done neckid or a light coating. And my usual questions - do leave the innards in? I do- like the contrast and the flavor. 

• Like 1

Like @David Ross, I'm not letting the season dictate my taste buds.  Last night was braised beef (via IP) on egg noodles with a salad:

IMG_6607.jpg.5c5c6f7a9f69f0353885802c634614ec.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg.ebf66e3cef66fd7a6c60896dabea3eb9.jpg

I also made what I call "1970s Mom Garlic Bread".  A loaf of grocery store "Italian" bread, sliced partway through and slathered with garlic/parsley butter and wrapped tightly in foil before being baked.  As a kid in the 70s, I didn't know one mom that didn't make their garlic bread this way:

IMG_6609.thumb.jpg.61f83da6a21ef6c4a4864aee5b6952e5.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Like @David Ross, I'm not letting the season dictate my taste buds.  Last night was braised beef (via IP) on egg noodles with a salad:

I also made what I call "1970s Mom Garlic Bread".  A loaf of grocery store "Italian" bread, sliced partway through and slathered with garlic/parsley butter and wrapped tightly in foil before being baked.  As a kid in the 70s, I didn't know one mom that didn't make their garlic bread this way:

IMG_6609.thumb.jpg.61f83da6a21ef6c4a4864aee5b6952e5.jpg

Oh yes though someone taught my mom the version with a slice of American cheese in the slit but no parsley though we grew and used plenty of it.. Maybe more 60's. A comforting meal in itself. She always made it for the young man she took under her wing so we really looked forward to Carl's weekly dinner visit. (plus he played the piano and sang)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

but the meat itself.

no to very little intra-muscular fat ?

That's the kind of meat that we get in Costa Rica. It's a part Brahma cow and all free range. No fat whatsoever and impossible to ever have a juicy steak.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Kim Shook 

""  As a kid in the 70s, I didn't know one mom that didn't make their garlic bread this way:  ""

we had it ithe same way.  in the '60's

delicious. the bread came from the grocery store

in a paper sleeve.  maybe some red/white/green

to make it italian-ish on the white wrapper

it was so long.   it flopped around a lot.

the french may put 50 % butter in their version of Mash

but this bread was 60 + % butter

and 10 % garlic .  from a press !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Pork Cutlet with Green peppercorn gravy. Peas from farmers market.
                                                                       1937329537_PorkKatsu4694.jpg.318da4f8749d74814af99f9cb292ba14.jpg

Medical appointments meant pick-up chicken @Safeway.
                                                                       525794313_RoastChicken4460.jpg.60acce50594a9e9d9c992535fa7614ee.jpg

Finishing up more of the Safeway chicken with green beans stir-fried with Fu Yu (fermented tofu). This is the only way my hubby will eat green beans!

575042326_SafewaychickenBeans4778.jpg.5420078cc30bcb23b47cb6c08c760338.jpg

Hot hot day, and a visit from our two little granddaughters (9, 6). They like lots of vegetables, so we had summer rolls, followed by Saskatoon pie with vanilla ice cream!

1437286668_SummerRollsanddippingsauces4739.jpg.497d7d42a16770bfb68c07c931c0d90f.jpg

1184477936_Saskatoonpie4750.jpg.a7f3bb5b6a56e97f46ec775b9580f450.jpg

Lots of pickerel from our supplier in Gimli, Manitoba. Lighter protein than salmon, etc. Eaten with VH1 Mango Chili sauce.

1295759772_Pickerel4790.jpg.d075c4a5a93908088f29ef07430cbeb7.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That's the kind of meat that we get in Costa Rica. It's a part Brahma cow and all free range. No fat whatsoever and impossible to ever have a juicy steak.

Sounds like a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to eat beef there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

""  As a kid in the 70s, I didn't know one mom that didn't make their garlic bread this way:  ""

we had it ithe same way.  in the '60's

delicious. the bread came from the grocery store

in a paper sleeve.  maybe some red/white/green

to make it italian-ish on the white wrapper

Yeppers, I can vouch for that in the late 50's and the 60's, even in the far north of New Hampshire, though it was garlic powder and margarine on our household.

52 minutes ago, rotuts said:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Dejah  

smart

'   pick-up chicken @Safeway '

do you get more than one ?

seems like a good idea

One was plenty for the two of us. Had 2 dinners, and enough leftover for 2 salad with field greens, etc.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com