• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Fantastic, @weinoo … especially the nashi/yellowtail combo speaks to me !

Yes - they kinda used it as a sort of wrapper, which I liked. And which I'm pretty sure I had seen done before, maybe in California, but using super thin sliced kohlrabi or something similar (maybe jicama?).

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I had seen done before, maybe in California, but using super thin sliced kohlrabi

If I ever catch someone wrapping a hamachi in Kohlrabi, he’ll make it onto my enemy list in an instant. In an intant !

That means no Christmas cards, no kudos in any forum and a special place in my semiannual voodoo ceremony …

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I've been wanting to make poke for a long time.  I was looking for tuna in the market and ahead of me a lady bought about 10 packs of frozen ahi tuna cut for poke.  Knowing that frozen tuna can be very good, I bought some and it was delicious.  The only thing I would change is to cut it into smaller cubes.  Poke is so versatile the possibilities are endless. I tossed it in sesame oil, Chinese chili oil and a little soy sauce.  In addition to the tuna I put in some chives from the garden, garlic, ginger and furikake.  Delicious.  Next I'll try it with some fresh salmon and add some diced cucumber. Served with prawn crackers.

#2 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dinner today was supposed to be Dinner last night, but didn't happen.

This is REALLY good, we'll be doing this again.  It's Braised Cauliflower with Asian Flavors from Jack Bishop's Vegetables Everyday (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Which I highly recommend if you like a book full of good ways to cook veggies.

20210719_171743.thumb.jpg.4226aa2f2965bf6aa8032846ad61fcc2.jpg

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 10

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

If I ever catch someone wrapping a hamachi in Kohlrabi, he’ll make it onto my enemy list in an instant. In an intant !

That means no Christmas cards, no kudos in any forum and a special place in my semiannual voodoo ceremony …

Aww, life is short. Don't diss kohlrabi! Salted, paper thin slices of raw kohlrabi make a great cocktail go-with. I can see it as a wrapper for sushi, although I never would have thought of it. Pickled kohlrabi is excellent. It does need to be fresh and tender and juicy, and it isn't always like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Aww, life is short. Don't diss kohlrabi! Salted, paper thin slices of raw kohlrabi make a great cocktail go-with. I can see it as a wrapper for sushi, although I never would have thought of it. Pickled kohlrabi is excellent. It does need to be fresh and tender and juicy, and it isn't always like that. 

Imagine growing up in the culinary wasteland of rural Germany in an area that featured commercial harvest of exactly three vegetables: kale, sugar beets and kohlrabi. Imagine all the fun preparations that existed (hint: one - boil for a looong time). For kale I made my peace. For sirup from sugar beets I can cope. I learned also to tolerate pickled kohlrabi, but bringing me to branch out further is reaaally stretching it … 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

So much great looking food, y’all!  I’m having a massage this afternoon, so I’m trying to eat light and hanging out here is making that less and less likely. 

@Ann_T – when I see your beautiful seafood creations, I think I could almost be a pescatarian. 

@Shelby – you are eating pretty good for having no appetite.  I’ve neglected keeping up with my menu ideas document, but I’m adding wings to it right now.  Those need to happen soon. 

@Norm Matthews – that casserole and the egg rolls look and sound fantastic.  Crab Rangoon is a favorite Chinese-American dish for Jessica and me.  I really like the idea of the egg roll version.

@gfweb – your entire scallop meal is divine looking.  I’ve done shrimp and grits lots of times, but it never occurred to me to do scallops!

When our friends were here over the 4th of July holiday they talked about these frozen mini meatballs that they get at Target and how good they were.  I was a little concerned that they were going to be tough and bouncy like the ones that are in Spaghetti-O’s.  They were actually tender and pretty tasty:

IMG_6568.thumb.jpg.6101d78fc3f079dc627cb4996e277cba.jpg

I had a bunch of stuff to use up – half boxes of pasta, frozen ground beef, a jar of Rao’s, a bag of mozzarella, so put them all together to make a casserole – two layers of sauced pasta, mini meatballs, and cheese:

IMG_6571.jpg.ba1f2f2bab39ea36b58bf71491824c4b.jpg

Baked:

IMG_6573.jpg.b75a019bccd510706ebc20239db3c3a1.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg.506fd51c9f8465762db5c11a542b101e.jpg

Served with salad:

IMG_6572.thumb.jpg.4fc2606c59ea43039182bf54eae557eb.jpg

Funnily enough, doing this casserole was less about feeding us than about trying out a new dishwashing soap that promises it cleans with NO rinsing.  The commercial shows them putting a gooey, cheesy casserole dish in the dishwasher and it comes out perfectly clean.  We’ll see.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Funnily enough, doing this casserole was less about feeding us than about trying out a new dishwashing soap that promises it cleans with NO rinsing.

The things we do to disprove commercials …

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

@Kim Shook

I was a little concerned that they were going to be tough and bouncy like the ones that are in Spaghetti-O’s.  

Memories   :)

No lie I had spaghetti-o’s for dinner last night. Revoke my “foodie” (I hate that word) card, I know it’s gross. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

When our friends were here over the 4th of July holiday they talked about these frozen mini meatballs that they get at Target and how good they were. 

I don’t have access to Target’s mini meatballs up here but I do buy cooked, frozen meatballs. I find them extremely easy and versatile when cooking is not what I want to be doing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

So much great looking food, y’all!  I’m having a massage this afternoon, so I’m trying to eat light and hanging out here is making that less and less likely. 

@Ann_T – when I see your beautiful seafood creations, I think I could almost be a pescatarian. 

@Shelby – you are eating pretty good for having no appetite.  I’ve neglected keeping up with my menu ideas document, but I’m adding wings to it right now.  Those need to happen soon. 

@Norm Matthews – that casserole and the egg rolls look and sound fantastic.  Crab Rangoon is a favorite Chinese-American dish for Jessica and me.  I really like the idea of the egg roll version.

@gfweb – your entire scallop meal is divine looking.  I’ve done shrimp and grits lots of times, but it never occurred to me to do scallops!

When our friends were here over the 4th of July holiday they talked about these frozen mini meatballs that they get at Target and how good they were.  I was a little concerned that they were going to be tough and bouncy like the ones that are in Spaghetti-O’s.  They were actually tender and pretty tasty:

IMG_6568.thumb.jpg.6101d78fc3f079dc627cb4996e277cba.jpg

I had a bunch of stuff to use up – half boxes of pasta, frozen ground beef, a jar of Rao’s, a bag of mozzarella, so put them all together to make a casserole – two layers of sauced pasta, mini meatballs, and cheese:

IMG_6571.jpg.ba1f2f2bab39ea36b58bf71491824c4b.jpg

Baked:

IMG_6573.jpg.b75a019bccd510706ebc20239db3c3a1.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg.506fd51c9f8465762db5c11a542b101e.jpg

Served with salad:

IMG_6572.thumb.jpg.4fc2606c59ea43039182bf54eae557eb.jpg

Funnily enough, doing this casserole was less about feeding us than about trying out a new dishwashing soap that promises it cleans with NO rinsing.  The commercial shows them putting a gooey, cheesy casserole dish in the dishwasher and it comes out perfectly clean.  We’ll see.

Frozen meatballs are one of the few prepared foods that I buy. Meatball subs, spaghetti and meatballs, "stroganoff" meatballs, all lifesavers on "those days."

• Like 2

Little one eats pretty much everything, with just a few notable exceptions. One of them is aubergine. When he was small he showed some intolerance towards nightshades, but this has long subsided. Still, the taste (or the texture ?) seems to bother him. So I try my best to make it more palatable to him.

Today we tried ratatouille. In the shape of what he would recognize from the movie Ratatouille. Augmented by some grilled meats.

12DA0644-26FE-4132-B460-83AFAA09AF60.thumb.jpeg.78ccc74d86719b99ee70ca307ee830a4.jpeg

C55E8B96-2C43-4566-ABAD-5B1DA46D34F7.thumb.jpeg.5c990f4060feb99d4190b650a8b584ec.jpeg

921E546B-B17F-4E81-A125-105F8F2F1D50.thumb.jpeg.7e2867beb72ddcf79528e05fb9d227e6.jpeg

Let’s just say he appreciated the work, and the grilled sausage 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 5

So many delicious meals!
Don't know where the time has gone. I've been cooking and eating, but just got lazy in posting.😏
Most labour intensive cooking I did was about 3 weeks ago. I was late in celebrating Dragon Boat Festival, and was reluctant in taking up the task as Covid did not allow any family or friends to help out. However, I finally took up the challenge and made +80 packets of Joongzu, for family and friends to enjoy.
I made 2 kinds this year, both with the same filling, but one batch all sticky rice, and the other batch my Mom's mixed rice (jasmine and sticky)
                                                                                     1066934154_5wrapped4432.thumb.jpg.acb6ee86dfc680b0fe556e40948aa659.jpg

736372191_3JoongIngredients4425.thumb.jpg.d73dd93908b31cfae2f531bacd47ff62.jpg

983427621_Texturalcomparison4441.thumb.jpg.333be552699d25c607d84da7e443b3f5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Other meals:
                Fresh lily bulb soup

446989853_LilyBulbSoup4315.jpg.08a05b26e0cccdf4563c8522a9cec38d.jpg

Deep fried whole pickerel with Sweet & Sour sauce (ramped up jar of VH sauce!)
                                                             1791886537_SSPickerel4316.jpg.64f127a9623e6024467edbbbfa9f1793.jpg

Oven baked fried chicken and fresh vegetables from farmer's market. Chicken drizzled with Hot Momma Rum Raisin Sauce

1361344526_FriedChicken4673.jpg.5b6d61993cf5779ffe63a31893ffc4e5.jpg

Pickerel Fillets Piccata, fresh peas and carrot fries

985708406_PickerelPiccata568.jpg.5d9c6bd0f7de1d7f06f93e2e33cf8920.jpg

And last night: Beef and Shanghai Bak Choy over Udon Noodles (oyster sauce and sweet chili sauce)

1246567428_BeefUdonnoodles4674.jpg.0c47e46dba3168e21d58a6d2cb31bec2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com