• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

4 hours ago, scamhi said:

no drivers. This is the beauty of wine dinners in a big city. Everyone that lives in Manhattan took Uber or Lyft home. We walked home.

Almost like normal times.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dinner tonight had our first veggie side that we grew our own selves.

Clockwise from upper left:

Alisa Craig onions, garlic scapes, zucchini (tiny and harvested to avoid blossom end rot), Alisa Craig onion tops, nasturtium leaves.

PXL_20210707_232345186.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wait. Wot said:

Oh, and the salmon we had as the protein seasoned with commercial ground vegetables and garlic. 

PXL_20210707_234336952.jpg

I am acquainted with garlic.  What are commercial ground vegetables?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A quick dinner from the a while ago.

Bought frozen goat milk and beetroot tortellini. A sauce of white wine, butter, toasted sesame, fava beans, feta.

Salad and wine.

PXL_20210416_191220701.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

so true. All vaccinated attendees...it was like a pre-covid dinner party

I'm looking forward to hosting one or a few of these; that is, once our "dining room" table isn't also Significant Eater's office.

IMG_4485.thumb.jpeg.fb53c3e092a5195631eea4bee8489af5.jpeg

Shrimp with broccoli, pre final-saucing and tossing, which cooked the shrimp to perfect doneness.

IMG_4483.thumb.jpeg.98758f67cf6c42aef9ddc41b39e99faf.jpeg

Pickled cabbage. Might be called cole slaw?

IMG_4480.jpeg

Strawberry/blueberry crisp.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, Wait. Wot said:

Dinner tonight had our first veggie side that we grew our own selves.

Clockwise from upper left:

Alisa Craig onions, garlic scapes, zucchini (tiny and harvested to avoid blossom end rot), Alisa Craig onion tops, nasturtium leaves.

PXL_20210707_232345186.jpg

Certainly a decent sized zucc....

I have been reading a lot about zucchini plants and their cousins.  If you are having blossom end rot, chances are the female flower is not being fertilized.  Lately I have taken to a fine paint brush, and playing matchmaker between my male and female flowers.  Fruits are getting larger and larger - no issues.  You can also remove the flower on the fruit after it has been fertilized and growth starts.

Also, if you have yet to try - zucchini leaves are delicious!

Corn muffins with fresh corn and corn meal, sour cream, very lightly sweetened. Baked twice so they get quite crisp.

Served savory with fresh cheeses and salad.

Some leftovers were served for breakfast, lightly toasted and with honey. Some went to the freezer.

PXL_20210508_185127580.jpg

PXL_20210508_190459182.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Certainly a decent sized zucc....

I have been reading a lot about zucchini plants and their cousins.  If you are having blossom end rot, chances are the female flower is not being fertilized.  Lately I have taken to a fine paint brush, and playing matchmaker between my male and female flowers.  Fruits are getting larger and larger - no issues.  You can also remove the flower on the fruit after it has been fertilized and growth starts.

Also, if you have yet to try - zucchini leaves are delicious!

Lack of fertilization is a real possibility along with drowning. We have had 4.5" of rain so far this month with TS Elsa arriving tomorrow.

Haven't tried the leaves. How are they prepared?

1 hour ago, Wait. Wot said:

Lack of fertilization is a real possibility along with drowning. We have had 4.5" of rain so far this month with TS Elsa arriving tomorrow.

Haven't tried the leaves. How are they prepared?

Over watering is an issue - I have seen some white leaf mold/mildew forming due to far too much moisture lately.  Not much to do about that.

Get the small-mid size leaves and just sautee with some onion and/or garlic - they have a really nice flavour, almost nutty.  Very healthy too.

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Get the small-mid size leaves and just sautee with some onion and/or garlic - they have a really nice flavour, almost nutty.  

So at the point before they get hairy/prickly or does the cook fix that. Unfortunately none growing now in my life. But I do see pumpkin greens for sale in Asian markets but they are more smooth.

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

So at the point before they get hairy/prickly or does the cook fix that. Unfortunately none growing now in my life. But I do see pumpkin greens for sale in Asian markets but they are more smooth.

Cook fixes that.  Just like stinging nettle.

I made a fantastic zucchini leaf/roasted potato soup with some frozen greens from last summer - they are also very good just as a side dish. 

I might try mixing some with ricotta/mozz and stuff the flowers with it.

• Like 1