• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Franci said:

Kids made dinner 

Impressive!  

Last night we had vegetable japchae with carrots, spinach, onions/garlic/ginger/cilantro, shiitake mushrooms, yellow bell peppers, and I added some fishcake I made from salmon to all but my nephew's plate.  He had chicken.  I meant to add sugar snap peas too but I forgot them.  I forgot the sesame seeds too!

japchae2.thumb.jpg.2ebc519c438ebfa413e8c9ca335ee312.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

15 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

fishcake

It all looks delicious and I am particularly interested in how you make the fish cake. It looks like sliced fish loaf. Whenever I make fish loaf it always falls apart and doesn't slice beautifully like yours does. How do you do it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It all looks delicious and I am particularly interested in how you make the fish cake. It looks like sliced fish loaf. Whenever I make fish loaf it always falls apart and doesn't slice beautifully like yours does. How do you do it?

I've talked about it on here before.  It is an Andrea Nguyen recipe from her banh mi cookbook.  Basically, you blend up onion, sugar, pepper, egg white, garlic, vegetable oil, cornstarch and baking powder, then add fish and blend it up some more.  Let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then blend it again with the herbs of your choice (I just use whatever's around--this time I used cilantro, spicy chiles, and lemongrass) and some fish sauce.  Shape it into cakes using damp hands, chill it in the fridge, and then pan fry and slice.  Here is a link to the recipe on her website: 

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/08/salmon-cakes-wi.html

The ingredients are the same, but the instructions on the website call for steaming.  In the book, she pan fries them, so I guess either way is good.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Franci said:

Kids made dinner 

7766475C-7A4A-4C8E-A67E-8FC216BEF2B8.jpeg

There is a law against child-labor. But I will not report you. 

Wow! He is a tall boy! He can reach in the cabinet just like that.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kerala said:

Conchiglioni con pancetta e funghi.

IMG_20210630_202804.jpg

What mushrooms? I missed the wild ones due to Pandemic access. Best I can do over cremini (various ages) is King Oyster. My dry shroom source dried up from Hungary - no travel I could order but when you know your source and have expectations on quality - blind ordering is risky to me.

Three or four years ago we had ready access to a range of mushrooms in the major supermarkets here in the UK. Shiitake, king oyster, chanterelle, enoki, many others. Even before the pandemic the choice narrowed down to closed cup, button, chestnut and ooh! portobello mushrooms. I managed to get two packets of "woodland mushrooms" which included king oyster and enoki mushrooms, and threw in a pack of white closed cup mushrooms.

I always buy the weirder shrooms whenever I find them to encourage the supermarkets to stock them. I feel responsible, as I did for the vinyl record shop that shut down because I didn't buy any records for a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Franci Can I borrow your kids...I'm not in the mood to cook.  Plus, I can tell they cook way better than me!

@liamsauntThanks for the recipe.  I also want to try this soon.  I have some really thin pieces of salmon and this seems like a good way to use them.

I did a chicken in my Ninja the other night.  High pressure for ten minutes and then four hundred degrees on the air crisp setting for about 12-15 mins.  Just as tender as the CSO....and I didn't have to cover the top so that it didn't burn.  But,  there is good and bad in everything.  Dragging the Ninja out...the cleaning etc.

thumbnail_IMG_0988.jpg.f8a255c6466cdedb37b9d7e2b8f0aa1f.jpg

Had tons of leftover chicken and some beautiful poblano peppers.  So, chicken\onion\pepper quesadillas and chiles rellenos.  Best rellenos I've made.  I did the sauce the day before.  Stuffed them with sharp cheddar, jalapeño jack and a bit of mozzarella and then froze them for about thirty mins.  Did the trick and all the cheese didn't run out before they were fried.  I don't do these often because they are a pain, but oh they are good.  RG beans on the side.

thumbnail_IMG_0991.jpg.3fe03ab344d95e4ebada00b450c8896c.jpg

Big salad to use up more chicken.  The first of the Yukon gold potatoes...excellent.  Yeah...probably weird to put on a salad , but it worked.

thumbnail_IMG_0993.jpg.a149d818fa8a8ba77a9249824af59c15.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0994.jpg.3210065557e05cc64e527199fec10dd9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0995.jpg.b145db64eeb613786161430bdfcd3b2c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 5

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

.. which is really just one choice. They are all agaricus bisporus at various ages.

That's interesting. They taste similar with slightly different textures. Are the other mushrooms different?

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Which other mushrooms?

Shiitake for example. I'm interested in what you say about the same mushroom at different ages. Does price reflect age? Never thought about it,  I'll have a look. I imagine genetically identical mushrooms could be very different if grown in different conditions. Different strains of the same species could also be very different. All I ask is for a bit of variety when I get to the mushroom section at the supermarket. While I'm here I'd also ask for the canned fish section to have something other than twenty types of tuna. 

12 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Shiitake for example. I'm interested in what you say about the same mushroom at different ages. Does price reflect age? Never thought about it,  I'll have a look. I imagine genetically identical mushrooms could be very different if grown in different conditions. Different strains of the same species could also be very different. All I ask is for a bit of variety when I get to the mushroom section at the supermarket. While I'm here I'd also ask for the canned fish section to have something other than twenty types of tuna. 

That is why I said cremini at different ages. Yes a bit different but same fellow.  Shitake I get fresh here in nice condition - I just do not like them. Chanterelles and morels are harder to get right here but I appreciate the differences.

10 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Shiitake for example.

Shiitake are different. They are Lentinula edodes. Some are more valued than others (flower shiitake for example) but that is based on aesthetic considerations, not taste or age.

I can't comment on UK prices for mushrooms. It's over 30 years since I left. I guess they haven't got cheaper, though!

16 minutes ago, Kerala said:

All I ask is for a bit of variety when I get to the mushroom section at the supermarket.

I think a large part of why I have never left China after coming for only two years, 25 years ago, is that it would be too painful to leave behind the huge selection of mushrooms that every supermarket and market carries.

I have detailed that on this topic from a while back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight's dinner with friends. Two brined 6 pound chickens smoking with the last of my black cherry wood.

I'm waiting for the 19" pizza pan to arrive, making do with a 14" and a 12".

• Like 3

Tonight's dinner was lemon pepper shrimp and scallops sauted in EVOO, butter and a mix of purchased yellow onion and our own Alsia Craig spring onion (if a 2 pound onion can be considered a spring onion), garlic and Smoking Loon Chardonnay. Just after the scallops were added some Alisa Craig onion tops were sprinkled in. The tops of Alisa Craig onions are as hot as the onions are mild.

PXL_20210630_223311638.jpg

• Like 13

On 6/30/2021 at 4:24 PM, dcarch said:

There is a law against child-labor. But I will not report you. 

Wow! He is a tall boy! He can reach in the cabinet just like that.

dcarch

He is going to be 14 in a week 😅 amazing growth this year!  He already passed me, not a difficult task though as I am so petite. Cabinets in this house, luckily for me are not as tall as in my previous house. 

• Like 3

@Shelby you can borrow the kids whenever you want. It was great they cooked as I was not in the mood

myself 😉 I hope they feel

the need more often 😂.

Tonight the husband did an awesome job grilling a ribeye cap. Some Bineshii on the side and a couple vegetables and a sliced pepino melon.  
I couldn’t resist adding a picture from the window.

0D9D39B6-ABA8-4AE9-AA52-12FE5049C370.jpeg

6FD1BFB1-F874-437D-B21B-7E36D711CD3D.jpeg

D522F786-3789-4D4B-877C-546855A07872.jpeg

6AF159DF-F708-4A58-9389-9ECF28A823A0.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

@Shelby you can borrow the kids whenever you want. It was great they cooked as I was not in the mood

myself 😉 I hope they feel

the need more often 😂.

Tonight the husband did an awesome job grilling a ribeye cap. Some Bineshii on the side and a couple vegetables and a sliced pepino melon.  
I couldn’t resist adding a picture from the window.

0D9D39B6-ABA8-4AE9-AA52-12FE5049C370.jpeg

6FD1BFB1-F874-437D-B21B-7E36D711CD3D.jpeg

D522F786-3789-4D4B-877C-546855A07872.jpeg

6AF159DF-F708-4A58-9389-9ECF28A823A0.jpeg

Loves me my Bineshii do I.  At $30 a pound Bineshii compares to the $30 dry aged ribeye I have decomposing to a different state of being at the back of my refrigerator.  Weather in New Jersey has not been compatible with grilling, sleeping, breathing.

Tall children in the kitchen department:  some years ago when I was in the camera business I was in the kitchen of our treasurer discussing corporate finances or the lack thereof.  I am not petit.  Her 10 year old stood on a stepstool to get to my eye level...

"Wow, mommy, she is tall.  She is taller than you are, mommy.  But that's not saying much, is it, mommy?  I am taller than you are, mommy."  Her mother advised her daughter to go play in the street.

• Haha 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou