• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Fuck - all this talk, and I had to make...

IMG_4371.thumb.jpeg.09ded138ef232fb49aa0769b8c31297b.jpeg

Chirashi!  After all, I had that first shipment from Wild Alaska, and some various roes in the fridge, so why not?

With 50% milled brown rice from The Rice Factory, chirashi mix from, ummmmmm, Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)...

I decided to poach the just defrosted fish. So...from Wild Alaska...halibut and coho salmon, poached. Ikura. Kaluga. Avocado. Gari. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Fuck - all this talk, and I had to make...

IMG_4371.thumb.jpeg.09ded138ef232fb49aa0769b8c31297b.jpeg

Chirashi!  After all, I had that first shipment from Wild Alaska, and some various roes in the fridge, so why not?

With 50% milled brown rice from The Rice Factory, chirashi mix from, ummmmmm, Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)...

I decided to poach the just defrosted fish. So...from Wild Alaska...halibut and coho salmon, poached. Ikura. Kaluga. Avocado. Gari. 

You're killing me smalls

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I was even willing to sit outdoors (in the shade) when it's still 85degF outside, but they're closed on Monday  :(

Dude...even if they're open on a Monday...you read Bourdain, right?

Count your lucky stars.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you!  I appreciate both you and @weinoo helping me out.

It is so expensive, but.....I've said a million times here.  I don't travel.  I don't buy expensive clothes or makeup etc.  So.  This is the fun stuff for me.  AND my mom will just love it I hope.

It's weird that the rice is the complaint though, right

Lame comp but that is like saying the bread is not super important in a great sandwich ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Tomato stems can also add flavour. You would want to remove them for service! I have a vague recollection of a well known chef using tomato stems to boost the flavour of tomatoes. Maybe somebody else recalls him or her. 
Click.

Haven't the slightest doubt about this.    A cluster of tomatoes just off the vine always emit more scent than the resulting tomatoes.    Thanks for this great truc.

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Tomato stems can also add flavour. You would want to remove them for service! I have a vague recollection of a well known chef using tomato stems to boost the flavour of tomatoes. Maybe somebody else recalls him or her. 
Click.

I've seen a few chefs do that - I always do.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Dude...even if they're open on a Monday...you read Bourdain, right?

Count your lucky stars.

I've heard that for a long time, but I wonder about it.  I often hear that the best sushi places use super fresh fish, but I've had discussions with Yasuda that say otherwise - from what I was able to glean, many of the fish you have in top sushi places is aged on purpose. And certainly the fish that is not local (tuna/yellowtail) are frozen on the boats and are never "fresh".  I imagine that Kanoyama is either bringing in whole tuna or large pieces of it because, from time to time, I see large pieces of backbone on some tables as an appetizer.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, MokaPot said:

@Shelby, this ceviche looks really good. Have you ever posted your recipe on eG? Thank you!

Thank you so much!  It changes a bit each time due to what veggies I have or don't have, but here is the basic recipe:

About a pound of white fish filets cut in small pieces

Fresh lime juice to cover fish filets in a bowl

Leave the fish in lime juice for at least 15 minutes.  I've left it in for an hour before with no ill effects.  I've seen a recipe that says to marinate them overnight but that seems like too long.

Drain lime juice and add:

Celery, chopped

Jalapeno, chopped

Onion, chopped

If you have good tomatoes add one or two, chopped

Sliced black olives

Sliced stuffed green olives

2 T. juice from green olives

4 T. of hot salsa--or more to taste

Garlic

Pepper

Salt

Cumin

Fresh cilantro

Stir.  Devour.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is probably the laziest and most simple meal I've ever prepared, but also one of the tastiest, not that I can take credit for that. I had a very busy day (and will do so again tomorrow) and hadn't done any shopping. Luckily, yesterday I picked up some sausages from the local supermarket a couple of days ago and had rice left over from yesterday.

I am no fan of the Cantonese sausages you may know as "lap cheong" or something similar. I never eat them. These, however, I do.

They are 四川麻辣肠 (sì chuān má là cháng) - Sichuan hot and numbing (mala) sausages. Basically they are pork, rice, Sichuan peppercorns and chilli.

1465084555_SichuanSausage-1024-2.thumb.jpg.2f19c7768d52d3b53d607ebd6fdf48b3.jpg

875952872_Sichuansausahe31024.thumb.jpg.bf1ad65061ff2b03943bfab2be5baaaf.jpg

I also had some fresh bamboo shoot.  I always have garlic and ginger. So I fried the ricewith bamboo, sausage garlic and ginger. End of recipe!

Damn! It was so much better than I deserved it to be. And very spicy! Take-no-prisoners Sichuan!

1768159314_sichuansausagefriedrice11024.thumb.jpg.9298db83faacbe8b6022bf1148dc34a6.jpg

2041115293_sichuansausagefriedrice21024.thumb.jpg.ebe6d2b256e97e2c5bc80c0570d73ce9.jpg

It would have been nice to have had some scallions for aesthetic appeal, but honestly I didn't need them. Anyway, no one is going to see the dish otherthan me, are they⁈

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ronnie's little green house tomatoes are doing so well.  Very sweet and good.  Like summer bursts in your mouth.  We are eating a lot of salads.

thumbnail_IMG_0964.jpg.e0d7381b035662e259d661ea1f525dcf.jpg

Had some venison burger left over so I made a few meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_0965.jpg.d0f249a6afc319c715a584461e19b856.jpg

Used a precious jar of Palisade peaches that I canned to make a peach crisp for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_0966.jpg.85f63fd3ee06bf94f13a3c45f0145273.jpg

Last night was steak night.  My favorite beef cut used to be the filet, but it changed ribeye over the years.  However, I was hungry for a filet so I bought two small ones from Imperfect Foods.  They weren't a thick cut but boy they were good.  Nice and tender.  Ronnie had venison.  Here is mine:

thumbnail_IMG_0968.jpg.4021d5a864601e5cd44c1c0bb96e4462.jpg

Our first red potatoes from the garden that I roasted in butter and lemon juice with just a sprinkle of fresh parm on top and the usual salad to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_0969.jpg.26bf0a4685d00d2a1ac764553fe805aa.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

I am a failure.  I had a beautiful avocado so I decided to make tacos.  I got out the tortilla press.  I put on a pot of Rancho Gordo Moro beans.  I needed serrano peppers for my salsa so I placed an order with Whole Foods.

Long about 9:30 I realized tacos were not about to happen.  It looked like dinner would be a second mai tai.  But I'd included some ground beef in the shipment from Whole Foods.  What could be faster than a Kenji smashburger?  So smashburger it was, with frozen fries and a lovely salad.  Smashburger and fries were excellent.  Sadly for the salad the romaine had frozen in the refrigerator.  The tomatoes were unripe.  And the avocado too hard to eat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am a failure.  I had a beautiful avocado so I decided to make tacos.  I got out the tortilla press.  I put on a pot of Rancho Gordo Moro beans.  I needed serrano peppers for my salsa so I placed an order with Whole Foods.

Long about 9:30 I realized tacos were not about to happen.  It looked like dinner would be a second mai tai.  But I'd included some ground beef in the shipment from Whole Foods.  What could be faster than a Kenji smashburger?  So smashburger it was, with frozen fries and a lovely salad.  Smashburger and fries were excellent.  Sadly for the salad the romaine had frozen in the refrigerator.  The tomatoes were unripe.  And the avocado too hard to eat.

You need to make some Bacon Jam for your next burger.  You need no other accompaniments.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Smashburger and fries were excellent.

I think our definitions of failure are somehow different - if I put that on the table at night and get myself one or two Mai Tai’s I would not only had a nice dinner (and a buzz) but also a feeling of accomplishment. Nothing wrong with being flexible and making do with what you have 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zucchini Crust casserole--For my wife btw/  its some Lean and Green thing!!  But actually tastes pretty good.  .this I think was 4 servings

51262678608_11287b2ca5_z.jpg  

51263225954_822fc8f06a_z.jpg

51263226049_e396d6f324_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

IMG_4383.thumb.jpeg.de9adf686601ecb542d6ca27d1f03f38.jpeg

Pretty darn lazy dinner last night. Rancho Gordo pinto bean tacos.

My tortilla reheating game totally sucks. I can't quite get them the way we want them, be it in the CSO, on a gas flame, wherever.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

My tortilla reheating game totally sucks. I can't quite get them the way we want them, be it in the CSO, on a gas flame, wherever.

Have you used cast iron?  I reheat store bought premade tortillas similar to how I'd make fresh ones and it works pretty well.  I even get a good amount of puffing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

Have you used cast iron?  I reheat store bought premade tortillas similar to how I'd make fresh ones and it works pretty well.  I even get a good amount of puffing!

Yes it does.   

I have a cast iron comal on one of my back burners of my gas range top.  It stays there ready for use 

Edited by scubadoo97
Composition (log)
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, KennethT said:

WE  wrap in towel and microwave..to soften!!  This is what my Hispanic in-laws do

I suppose after u could skillet them

@weinoo

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

This is what I use on a burner turned to medium high.

20210623_082226.thumb.jpg.2536ab46f9edb83788dcbc75369b4924.jpg

Heating them in the microwave will work but you don't get that puff that gives you the nice flaky texture. The trick is to have the griddle hot enough to give you some nice brown spots in just a few seconds instead of black spots.

The Griddle is made by Lodge.

Edited:

A comal will work perfectly fine. I used to have one but I find The Griddle to be a much more versatile tool which is important when you have a small kitchen. Let me tell you, it's almost impossible to make a grilled cheese sandwich in a comal.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_4383.thumb.jpeg.de9adf686601ecb542d6ca27d1f03f38.jpeg

Pretty darn lazy dinner last night. Rancho Gordo pinto bean tacos.

I'm envious.  This is what I wanted night before last.  But I couldn't summon the energy to chop the salsa or press the tortillas.  Besides, my avocado wasn't ripe.  At least my Rancho Gordo Moro beans were good.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou