• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Bad picture alert...

EA1577DC-24EA-4033-AAB6-DC365E5335EB.thumb.jpeg.1711a4b0ccd1b5aa88409cd92b7211e1.jpeg

This is a few slices of a Presa Iberica Bellota, pretty sure sourced from Regalis.  Marinated for like 2 nights, then roasted. (The cleaning out the freezer project).

But boy, this thing cooked way faster than I thought it might...even in a low oven. So perhaps a little overdone, or maybe it's better cooked by a different method?  I really wish I could grill something like this. Outside. On wood.

Over Carolina Gold rice (which doesn't move me) and some quick tzatziki. On the side, celeriac.

• Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For the first time in way over a year and a half Ronnie went out of town on a two night fishing trip in Oklahoma.  He drove....stayed in his own hotel room....fished with a buddy and the guide.  We felt like it was safe.  He came home with a HUGE amount of fish and had a really good time.  Since I was relegated to stay home and baby sit--well furry baby sit--I informed him that I was ordering sushi from Goldbelly.  Expensive.  Yes.  But I've been drooling for sushi during the whole pandemic and even before.  Also, hopefully my mom is coming at the end of summer and I wanted to test it out and see if I liked it so I could order it again when mom is here.  She loves sushi like I do, and like me, rarely gets to eat it.  Everything was in great shape when it arrived.  I didn't get pictures of it all.  It comes with a sushi rolling mat--already have one but you couldn't elect to have them not send it, sushi rice, cute little bottle of tamari

thumbnail_IMG_0944-1.jpg.98b31384ffd427c10281ef6dd7f940d1.jpg

Excellent wasabi, pickled ginger, little containers of sliced green onions and jalapeño, a really nice avocado, eel sauce and nori sheets.

Shrimp, salmon, hamachi 

thumbnail_IMG_0943-1.jpg.d22a6fbff9f9b21f54f42dfa41ebe980.jpg

OH MAN this was good.  Like butter.  Sweet.  

They include two crispy rice cakes to make their crispy rice appetizer--fry the cake in a bit of oil on both sides.  Top with spicy tuna mix--which is also included. Top that with avocado slice, eel sauce and a hot pepper.  Heavenly.  Ignore my side inside out rolls.  I should have stuck with the regular kind.

thumbnail_IMG_0951.jpg.8c1834e947a2cad90d5876912a9f329e.jpg

I also ordered salmon roe, and a container of spicy scallops.  I ate sushi for two days straight.  

OH and I really splurged and got some Uni.  First time ever tasting it. .....not my favorite but it was ok.  

thumbnail_IMG_0949.jpg.8397810f7f9c317aaaf432e5b4726538.jpg

Definitely going to do this again when mom comes.  Minus the uni lol.

The evening Ronnie got home I made a salad and venison cheeseburger pizza

thumbnail_IMG_0952.jpg.dd45b85629f5c2b0bf957ca54d6b520b.jpg

Next day I cleaned up the mountain of fish he brought home.  Mostly bass.  A few blue cats.

thumbnail_IMG_0955.jpg.266e1e8fd78e5d09cc6161657fe41e46.jpg

Had to fry some up for dinner

thumbnail_IMG_0956.jpg.0ce4a765e562436be02e391c67abc634.jpg

His greenhouse plants are making a bunch of cherry tomatoes now

thumbnail_IMG_0959.jpg.6b8536f0540bad2891d5e64c8141ce89.jpg

Had to make ceviche last night along with RG beans and venison enchiladas

thumbnail_IMG_0961-1.jpg.fd8031ee3490833425df1f7a483eaec6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0962.jpg.be5b83c4679ad65e49561e98334db221.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

For the first time in way over a year and a half Ronnie went out of town on a two night fishing trip in Oklahoma.  He drove....stayed in his own hotel room....fished with a buddy and the guide.  We felt like it was safe.  He came home with a HUGE amount of fish and had a really good time.  Since I was relegated to stay home and baby sit--well furry baby sit--I informed him that I was ordering sushi from Goldbelly.  Expensive.  Yes.  But I've been drooling for sushi during the whole pandemic and even before.  Also, hopefully my mom is coming at the end of summer and I wanted to test it out and see if I liked it so I could order it again when mom is here.  She loves sushi like I do, and like me, rarely gets to eat it.  Everything was in great shape when it arrived.  I didn't get pictures of it all.  It comes with a sushi rolling mat--already have one but you couldn't elect to have them not send it, sushi rice, cute little bottle of tamari

thumbnail_IMG_0944-1.jpg.98b31384ffd427c10281ef6dd7f940d1.jpg

Excellent wasabi, pickled ginger, little containers of sliced green onions and jalapeño, a really nice avocado, eel sauce and nori sheets.

Shrimp, salmon, hamachi 

thumbnail_IMG_0943-1.jpg.d22a6fbff9f9b21f54f42dfa41ebe980.jpg

OH MAN this was good.  Like butter.  Sweet.  

They include two crispy rice cakes to make their crispy rice appetizer--fry the cake in a bit of oil on both sides.  Top with spicy tuna mix--which is also included. Top that with avocado slice, eel sauce and a hot pepper.  Heavenly.  Ignore my side inside out rolls.  I should have stuck with the regular kind.

thumbnail_IMG_0951.jpg.8c1834e947a2cad90d5876912a9f329e.jpg

I also ordered salmon roe, and a container of spicy scallops.  I ate sushi for two days straight.  

OH and I really splurged and got some Uni.  First time ever tasting it. .....not my favorite but it was ok.  

thumbnail_IMG_0949.jpg.8397810f7f9c317aaaf432e5b4726538.jpg

Definitely going to do this again when mom comes.  Minus the uni lol.

The evening Ronnie got home I made a salad and venison cheeseburger pizza

thumbnail_IMG_0952.jpg.dd45b85629f5c2b0bf957ca54d6b520b.jpg

Next day I cleaned up the mountain of fish he brought home.  Mostly bass.  A few blue cats.

thumbnail_IMG_0955.jpg.266e1e8fd78e5d09cc6161657fe41e46.jpg

Had to fry some up for dinner

thumbnail_IMG_0956.jpg.0ce4a765e562436be02e391c67abc634.jpg

His greenhouse plants are making a bunch of cherry tomatoes now

thumbnail_IMG_0959.jpg.6b8536f0540bad2891d5e64c8141ce89.jpg

Had to make ceviche last night along with RG beans and venison enchiladas

thumbnail_IMG_0961-1.jpg.fd8031ee3490833425df1f7a483eaec6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0962.jpg.be5b83c4679ad65e49561e98334db221.jpg

Nice - Blue Ribbon is really good and not stupid expensive like some sushi places are in NY nowadays.  Where was the uni from?  I love getting the Hokkaido uni. I haven't been there in over a year and a half because I don't think they have an outdoor dining setup.  Once I feel comfortable enough and decide to take the plunge and eat indoors, Blue Ribbon Sushi will be one of the first stops.  I can't wait to get their raw sweet shrimp, which comes with a 2nd course of the deep fried head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Nice - Blue Ribbon is really good and not stupid expensive like some sushi places are in NY nowadays.  Where was the uni from?  I love getting the Hokkaido uni. I haven't been there in over a year and a half because I don't think they have an outdoor dining setup.  Once I feel comfortable enough and decide to take the plunge and eat indoors, Blue Ribbon Sushi will be one of the first stops.  I can't wait to get their raw sweet shrimp, which comes with a 2nd course of the deep fried head.

I almost messaged you and @weinoo to ask if you guys knew this place, but I didn't because I was getting it whether it sucked or not LOL.

The uni was from Blue Ribbon too.  They have no other description besides just "uni".

Now I'm hungry for it all again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

too bad you didn't love the Uni.  y favorite

looks like you bought a ton.

hoping it was really really fresh

so you didn't get something not at its peak.

Yeah...I'm not saying it wasn't fresh...but maybe uni is something that needs to be like scooped from the water and on to your plate lol.  It was ok.  It was a big portion, but it was also dang expensive.  Let's just say I didn't love it enough to spend that much again.

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah...I'm not saying it wasn't fresh...but maybe uni is something that needs to be like scooped from the water and on to your plate lol.  It was ok.  It was a big portion, but it was also dang expensive.  Let's just say I didn't love it enough to spend that much again.

That's the problem with uni - it comes in a huge tray that is definitely not meant for 1 or two people!  I once got one of those trays when we had a dinner party and I made a pasta with sea urchin sauce - like Le Bernardin or Marea.  Expensive but delicious.

When we go to Blue Ribbon, we usually get a Hokkaido uni (it's similar to the regular uni most of which comes from CA (I think) but a little brinier) in a handroll as dessert! I want that uni-ness lingering in my sinuses for as long as possible!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was under the impression that a lot

of ui comes from Maine

ad is air shipped from the docks to Japan.

the sea urchins used to be tossed 

and were more a problem for the fishing nets

now, or then  are or were a ' cash ' crop.

maybe over harvested ?

Uni can come from many places; usually Blue Ribbon has 2 or 3 types: Maine, Hokkaido, and California. And Blue Ribbon used to be a biweekly sushi place for us. But...

I've been sadly having issues with Blue Ribbon (the one on Orchard). Not with the fish, but the rice has been terribly prepared.

As a matter of fact, on our last visit (within the last month) Significant Eater and I decided that the best way to use Blue Ribbon Izakaya (the one on Orchard) would be for their non-sushi stuff.  Like we've always enjoyed their fried chicken, grilled collar, and other stuff from the kitchen. Ever since Toshi passed, I wonder whose running the show. And who the hell is making the rice - which is kinda important with sushi.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Sad 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've been sadly having issues with Blue Ribbon (the one on Orchard). Not with the fish, but the rice has been terribly prepared.

As a matter of fact, on our last visit (within the last month) Significant Eater and I decided that the best way to use Blue Ribbon Izakaya (the one on Orchard) would be for their non-sushi stuff.  Like we've always enjoyed their fried chicken, grilled collar, and other stuff from the kitchen. Ever since Toshi passed, I wonder whose running the show. And who the hell is making the rice - which is kinda important with sushi.

That's really sad.  We've always gone to the OG Blue Ribbon Sushi in Soho.  Their rice has always been really good - I think the rice is equally as important as the fish.  The best rice I've ever had was always at Sushi Yasuda.  We used to sit at the sushi bar in front of Yasuda-san and he would always say that, to him, the rice is the most important part of the sushi.  He talked about when he was in Japan, he spent years as an apprentice - just making rice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Don’t feel bad: first of all it is an acquired taste and then - it needs to be good quality and fresh. 
I lived almost three years in Japan and had uni on many occasions (in an student/junior academic context) and could get myself to embrace it. A month before leaving I took my girlfriend (now wife) out to a very nice place while visiting Tokyo - and there was a plate of uni. It was amongst the most memorable things I have eaten - and not only because it got scooped out of a live sea urchin while we were watching. It was sublime. I had only one more uni dish that came close, also from a live specimen, also in a upscale place in HK. 
I hunted, I tried, I wanted to like it but ... maybe your palate is just too refined (like mine) to enjoy the ordinary stuff 😜

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, Shelby said:

I do, for a fact. That's a regular in the fall. Although, oddly, I had trouble last year sourcing baby lima beans! So very strange. But I generally always have pulled pork in the freezer (you don't cook just a little barbecue," and while barbecued or smoked chicken is nice, I've done just fine with poached thighs or meat off rotissiere birds.

Recovering from road trip, haven't cooked much this week. Ripe tomatoes are in, so there have been BLTs. Some with avocado. Some with slaw instead of lettuce. Some just bacon and tomato. I have finally ALMOST perfected the copycat chicken salad from the place up the road that makes the most MARVELOUS chicken salad. One uses about 1:2 pineapple juice to mayo, lots of green onions, and I add sliced almonds, chopped apples and dried cranberries to mine. I also added tarragon, which didn't show up much originally, but now two days later, with the added chilling, has a really nice flavor.

Cooked burgers Friday night, with assorted salads (cole slaw, bean and corn salad, potato salad) and baked beans. Been eating leftovers from that and the chicken salad all weekend.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

have finally ALMOST perfected the copycat chicken salad from the place up the road that makes the most MARVELOUS chicken salad. One uses about 1:2 pineapple juice to mayo, lots of green onions, and I add sliced almonds, chopped apples and dried cranberries to mine. I also added tarragon, which didn't show up much originally, but now two days later, with the added chilling, has a really nice flavor.

Now you have me craving and remembering a dark meat chicken salad with chopped artichoke hearts and I think a thin pasta and TONS of tarragon that Trader Joe's used to sell. Challenge for hot weather to copy cat that. Total comfort.

Mashed potatoes (with cashel blue cheese, butter, birdeye chile and Majorcan sweet paprika - Pimenton dulce de Mallorca), caramelised onion, and cold smoked ocean trout.

pure-papas.JPG

Edited by farcego
remove broken link, not needed (log)
  • Like 4