• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Minced pork and and asparagus, with doubanjiang, green Sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger, chilli, Shaoxing wine and scallions. Served over orzi because the rice cooker pot is currently sleeping in the freezer. It's a long, dull story.

1024.thumb.jpg.f476ed73b2319f8e49b011f35943b7dc.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Miso salmon with noodles seasoned with oyster sauce and maggi sauce.  The vegetables added were napa cabbage and choi sum, with mixed mushrooms cooked in sake, soy and mirin added to the adults' bowls (no mushrooms for my niece).  I chopped up an entire large head of napa cabbage and an entire bunch of choi sum and as usual the greens cooked down to nothing.  Next time I am going to cook a wheelbarrow full.  My fish hating nephew had leftover Indian food from the other night.

308650437_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.474753133d5de9169af32089ea74c859.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

16 hours ago, Raamo said:

3rd time the whole pie looked good, the non meat side is my wifes:

20210607_172325.thumb.jpg.b4d5d8c21a12b23e9d2163d4c79f13f0.jpg

We never get pizza unless we make it - looking forward to Modernist Pizza!

"Honey, trust me, I am not sleeping on more than half of the bed, look, you have half - and I have half.....But darling, look at all that meat which is clearly on MY half of the bed!"

(I have heard this one in various incarnations over the years!) :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Minced pork and and asparagus

I just had a very badly executed dish of dry- fried green beans and pork. Looking at your dish I am most envious.  

• Sad 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I just had a very badly executed dish of dry- fried green beans and pork. Looking at your dish I am most envious.  

My sad emoji is for your bad beans; not for your envy.  That I would normally thank, but we only get one emoji to issue! 

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was given a Hello Fresh box at work recently, which contained ingredients for two meals. After looking over the contents, taking in to account that this was for two meals, a phrase that my dad used to use sprang to mind "That's not even enough to keep a bird alive!". So I decided to combine what I'd gotten with some things I had in my pantry.
I sauteed the onion and garlic, then added a packet of the stock concentrate, diced and threw in the plum tomato, then added the chickpeas supplemented with another can of chickpeas. After that I added a can of tomato puree and the sun dried tomatoes, reduced that to a thick stew-like consistency and added the grape tomatoes. After letting that cook for a few minutes I added the fresh parsley and chives, finished w/sour cream and topped it with the sliced almonds and Parmesan. I saved the cream cheese, pistachios, and the lemon for later use.

20210607_192612.jpg

20210607_183646.jpg

Edited by Dante (log)
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was going to keep it to myself, but last night's chicken cacciatore was the worst dinner of recent memory.  The recipe is for a whole chicken cut in pieces.  I was cooking just three little thighs.  Now I like salt as much as anyone, even 23andMe informs that I like salt.  Before dinner I was even eating salt from the empty peanut bowl.

However to the chicken I added the specified amount of salt, neglecting I had scaled down the quantity of chicken.  Also neglecting to remember I had heavily salted the chicken pieces previously.  I think you can see where this is going.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Panko chicken tenders and panko cauliflower, both made in the air fryer (BSOA), served with cole slaw.

panko-chicken8.jpg.3e002f65fa497a9780fb7894e54f8de1.jpg

All looks nicely crunchy. Stepmother purchased 2 giant cauliflowers @ $1 each I've roasted and souped. Told her about your cauliflower. Can you tell me how you prepped? She only has a smallish air fryer but just for her it could work. The 90 year old does know what panko is. Thanks!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think you can see where this is going.

Sure can, been there did that. Just the other night, I took three beautiful boneless loin chops and brined them for several hours before I cooked them. I breaded them beautifully and added salt and pepper when I cooked them. I felt like I was licking a salt block when I ate them. My two wonderful, polite, housemates never blinked an eye.

• Sad 3

I've been having some pizza angst lately, and so I asked how long the dough should rest on the counter before baking. Got some great replies, and tried it with my "regular" method for making pizza, using a bread machine to make two dough balls, which then rest for a minimum of 3 days. The balls were cooked on June 4 and June 8 (rested 3 and 7 days) and may be (amongst) the best pizzas I have ever made. Read about the details here

IMG_3230.thumb.jpg.8008e49ecd90a32c286b243c099f9388.jpg

IMG_3252_cropped.thumb.jpg.8da797667b97baa667a70126be2cccc5.jpg

Because it was my friend's birthday, I thought dessert was in order. Blueberries in a little milk in greased ramekins. In the Kitchen Aid mixer: 6 T King Arthur custard powder, mixed with 3/4 to 1 cup labneh and some milk, whipped until light. Baked 20 minutes at 325. Into the Cuisinart Food Processor: 1/2 cup instant oats, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Deposited on top of dish, baked another 15 minutes.

One of the nicest things about it was that it wasn't too sweet. Would have been better with a splash of blueberry balsamic vinegar.

IMG_3257Cropped.thumb.jpg.6dc411a2e54d8fb0705e42f9f5c6c97e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

All looks nicely crunchy. Stepmother purchased 2 giant cauliflowers @ $1 each I've roasted and souped. Told her about your cauliflower. Can you tell me how you prepped? She only has a smallish air fryer but just for her it could work. The 90 year old does know what panko is. Thanks!

Sure.  I take the panko and put it in a large ziplock bag and add seasonings which is usually granulated garlic and onion, paprika, an Italian seasoning blend, salt, pepper and some sugar. For the cauliflower I first tossed it olive oil then in the panko. Once it’s on the air fryer tray I give it a light coating of olive oil spray. Then I cooked it for 20 minutes at 400f, but that’s for the BSOA- a standard air fryer will likely cook it faster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On Monday, I presalted a small prime rib, a one rib roast just big enough for two.

I was going to roast it on Tuesday and make a traditional dinner with Yorkshire puddings but I forgot I had live spot prawns being delivered Tuesday.
1427292762_GrilledPrimeRibJune9th2021.thumb.jpg.67a4cf86c55dd2cdd9153e898f718e3c.jpg
So the roast got move to today and instead of roasting, it was grilled and served with fries and a red wine rosemary sauce.

392067655_GrilledPrimeRibJune9th20211.thumb.jpg.8c93f4b5ebbbba89cfdb10ddc8d8fdb4.jpg
My version of "Steak and Frites".
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Somewhere between paella and Spanish soupy rice, but cooked in a cazuela...

IMG_4305.thumb.jpeg.7a20b2853746fa19abe1b434f5eceeb4.jpeg

was this: somewhat soupy rice of chicken and chorizo, with ramps, shallots, red peppers, chives, saffron and pimentón. (the thing with soupy rice is if you wait like 10 minutes to eat it, it becomes not so soupy rice).

Preceded by pan con tomate, and accompanied by a Romaine and butter lettuce salad.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 6/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, TicTac said:

"Honey, trust me, I am not sleeping on more than half of the bed, look, you have half - and I have half.....But darling, look at all that meat which is clearly on MY half of the bed!"

(I have heard this one in various incarnations over the years!) :laugh:

For us it's always about the cat getting 10-20% so I only get 40% 

For pizza the goal is 55 vs 45 but sometimes it looks more like 65 vs 35 :)

• Haha 3

@Ann_T 

your meals always look exceptionally inviting.

a question on te ' One Rib PrimeRib '

how thick was it to start off?

did you slice it in 1/2 to get that ' rare ' look ?

although an absurd thing to write :

' it looks soooo tender "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1