• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

8 hours ago, Wait. Wot said:

Chickens, smoked, ready to be eaten.

Looks good - have you done duck like this?  It was my favorite bird to brine and smoke (when I was able to smoke).  

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Jacques Pepin just posted a similar cheat. You are in good comapny

Some of the more recent videos, I practically detect a bit of a wink wink and sorta smile/smirk on Jacques' face. Using certain things which in his younger days would never have been used; I also understand some of the audience he's going for.

I think there was one dish where he actually used canned chicken, and they almost had to force him to say "Mmmm - this is good."

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Looks good - have you done duck like this?  It was my favorite bird to brine and smoke (when I was able to smoke).  

I have done duck in a smoker. It came out very good but the rendered fat wasn't usable. Duck fat is one of the reasons I cook duck so I haven't repeated the exercise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Jacques Pepin just posted a similar cheat. You are in good comapny

But did he use canned peas?😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV and seared shrimp with charred corn and asparagus risotto. I made the rice with corn stock which might be the best use of the stuff. Very nice risotto. I put in a shitload of charred corn, should've used more.

020.thumb.jpg.8d244e8bf393a333f479574853a2b739.jpg

I had not thought of SV shrimp. They cook so quickly. Why SV?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

I had not thought of SV shrimp. They cook so quickly. Why SV?

They do cook quickly and that is my problem. They get overcooked in the blink of an eye esp if I'm doing a lot of them.  Serious Eats has a nice chart of temp vs result with shrimp.  I like 135...always perfect and enough temp leeway to color them a little with a quick skate across a hot pan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

your chicken lo0ks fabulous.

Thanks!

Just now, rotuts said:

how many hours ?

Five+ with the cooker between 240F and 270F. Target cooker temp: 250F.

Just now, rotuts said:

temp goal for the cook ?

160F

Just now, rotuts said:

what temp did you pull them off ?

158F

where was the probe :  white or dark ?

White.

Just now, rotuts said:

thanks for sharing this

You are more than welcome.

• Like 1

Grilled chicken salad two ways.  My sister, husband and I had it with olives, tomatoes, onions, and red wine vinaigrette

1023645336_olivesalad.thumb.jpg.02a85fcee173406c76a73d2f0c588479.jpg

Niece and nephew had theirs with strawberries, blueberries, and a strawberry vinaigrette

1548714545_strawberrysalad.thumb.jpg.b5facdb49e341eae3a7d7c637fba16cc.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

why not do a duck the way you did th chicken.  

no added smoke to the fire

and keep the ducks in a pan , perhaps on a shallow rack

so you can save the duck fat

The rendered fat was too smokey for my taste. The lump charcoal imparts some smokey flavor. I'm just not a fan of smokey fat.

Edited by Wait. Wot
Misread the post I was responding to. (log)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

They do cook quickly and that is my problem. They get overcooked in the blink of an eye esp if I'm doing a lot of them.  Serious Eats has a nice chart of temp vs result with shrimp.  I like 135...always perfect and enough temp leeway to color them a little with a quick skate across a hot pan.

How long are they in the bath?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

They do cook quickly

Years ago when I first bought shrimp from a fishmonger he gave me the best advice that I have ever had. He told me that the shrimp themselves will tell me when they're cooked. When they curl into a C they are cooked. If they curl up into an O they are overcooked. It always works for me.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Years ago when I first bought shrimp from a fishmonger he gave me the best advice that I have ever had. He told me that the shrimp themselves will tell me when they're cooked. When they curl into a C they are cooked. If they curl up into an O they are overcooked. It always works for me.

I'd say that's roughly correct, but then again it depends how well you like the critters cooked.  I prefer the regular size to be marginally undercooked, by many people's taste.

I wonder what your fishmonger would recommend for these, bought this week in the local market.

39811240_giantprawns.thumb.jpg.17d5e506405b7b6217e73d7e0d874fb6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

these

So far, that formula has held for everything that I can get. The river shrimp we get here or about that size and they turned out perfect. Then again, like you, I prefer them slightly undercooked.

Just out of curiosity, what did those weigh?

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'd say that's roughly correct, but then again it depends how well you like the critters cooked. 

For the kind of shrimp that I am likely to get,  headless and no bigger than eight to the pound, I learned to cook them until they resemble the shape of a comma which is quite a bit short of a C. But I have a friend who considers my shrimp to be a undercooked. So it comes down to personal preference I guess. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

why not do a duck the way you did th chicken.  

no added smoke to the fire

and keep the ducks in a pan , perhaps on a shallow rack

so you can save the duck fat

I think he may not like smoked duck fat.

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 6/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, MaryIsobel said:

...I have always been hesitant to rub the potatoes with oil, as I assumed that it would make the skins soft but apparently I have been underbaking them for an hour or so...

With regard to baked potatoes, my mom always rubbed her pierced baking potatoes with Crisco. She said she liked a crisp skin on her baked potato and now, having grown up and moved away, we "kids" do the same to our baking potatoes. 

I can see how you would think oil would keep the skin soft but it's the high heat on those fat-covered potato skins that makes the crispy skin happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 6/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay oh, I had to ask Mister Google but they said that this is an 'everything but the kitchen sink' type Russian soup. Yours looks delicious. Would you mind telling me what is in it?

There are a lot of variations.Mine is sausage, ham, chicken breast, shredded cabbage, celery, onion, carrot,  pickles (I used my homemade pickles), black olives, and capers, seasoned with bay leaf, black pepper, and allspice,   with a base of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste,  finished with sour cream and fresh dill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1