• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are you expecting the chickens to

cook for 4 hours 

in the ' oven ' using the thermal

energy in the sides and lining ?

Between 4 and 5 hours. I'll keep the temperature below 275F untill the last half hour. Then I'll try to get the cooker up to 375 before i pull the chickens off.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

looking forward to your neat

loss curve over the next few hours

do coals get a predetermined mount of air ?

Yes. There are two adjustable vents, top and bottom, that control the air flow. If the vents are both fully closed the fire goes out. Open both fully and the cooker can get over 900F. Careful adjustments can achieve any temperature in between.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this is the sort of set up that could have

one of those PID feed back loop

fans  that would control the temp of the coals

to give you a temp at the grill grate.

Yes.  In my not so humble opinion those devices take the fun out of it. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

Out of the fridge and trussed up for their trip to kamadoland.

PXL_20210606_181401006.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen this composition in a museum somewhere....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Wait. Wot 

do you plan to keep the temp in the oven

stable , or use a natural decay ?

I'm using the vents to maintain the temperature I want. I've adjusted the lower vent by closing it down a bit to keep close to my target 250F.  The vent opened this much is giving me 240F, close enough for me.

16230129550491434475105868217925.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

The Napoleon has done its job. Charred asparagus ready to be seasoned with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. 

Then it takes a trip through the blast chiller.

PXL_20210606_211318856.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Meatballs (with cream and capers). Spätzle in place of boiled potatoes.

XG69hyF.jpg

Spicy octopus tentacles. I used a jarred Chinese sauce/condiment that has mushroom bits and chillies.

Y4RjaqE.jpg

Quickly stir-fried sliced calf's liver in the same pan.

dpj4DUb.jpg

Some people take photos of churches, I take photos of airports. Looking forward to seeing certain 2 airports in some amazing places in a near future.

P9JEIGt.jpg

On 5/31/2021 at 12:26 AM, weinoo said:

What is Sicilian?

On 5/31/2021 at 12:52 AM, heidih said:

I assumed the capers but my assumptions usually follow the adage of "making an ass out of you and me".

On 5/31/2021 at 1:02 AM, Shelby said:

I was gonna say it was the wine 🤷‍♀️

Pretty sure I wrote "Sicilian capers. (They were) my absolute last", also brought home small capers preserved in coarse salt, which we don't have here (only in vinegar). I have a salt tooth. I can get caper berries here but they are not Sicilian.

The touch pad on my laptop is too sensitive. It often select a bunch of texts accidentally (like slight brush) and when I start typing again it wipes out the selected texts without me knowing. Happens all the time.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:31 AM, haresfur said:

I have been banned from ever cooking with squid ink again after pretty much the whole kitchen ended up stained black after I used too much when I tried. Looks good though.

Only messy part is my hand. I have enough practise, me thinks.

peOoFT4.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 17

10 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

Italian fig balsamic vinegar and Spanish Arbequina olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Edited to include the picture. 

PXL_20210606_212129056.jpg

Edited by Wait. Wot
Forgot picture (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

Then it takes a trip through the blast chiller.

PXL_20210606_211318856.jpg

Wonderful to know I'm not the only eGulleter with a blast chiller!  Though I may be the only one with a blast chiller in her living room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wonderful to know I'm not the only eGulleter with a blast chiller!  Though I may be the only one with a blast chiller in her living room.

Ours is in our dining room. It's going to go into the laundry beside the kitchen when we redo the laundry.

It was the thread about the Vesta blast chiller here that you were on that convinced us to get it. Vesta's customer service is fantastic!

FedEx dropped our chiller on the back left top corner. The damage was hidden, but significant. I sent an email with pictures late on Friday. Vesta contacted me on Saturday and put a replacement order in on Sunday. They provided free return shipping and the replacement came in less than a week.

• Like 7

SV and seared shrimp with charred corn and asparagus risotto. I made the rice with corn stock which might be the best use of the stuff. Very nice risotto. I put in a shitload of charred corn, should've used more.

020.thumb.jpg.8d244e8bf393a333f479574853a2b739.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

SV and seared shrimp with charred corn and asparagus risotto. I made the rice with corn stock which might be the best use of the stuff. Very nice risotto. I put in a shitload of charred corn, should've used more.

020.thumb.jpg.8d244e8bf393a333f479574853a2b739.jpg

I swear on corn stock.  Good stuff.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Cheater dinner tonight.
Too tired too cook so I bought a grocery store rotisserie chicken and picked one that had some drippings.
I pour the meager drippings from the container into a skillet, added some butter and let it cook until the juices cooked down and started to brown.
When they were brown enough I added some flour to make a roux and finished with chicken broth and seasoned with rubbed sage , salt and pepper.
267720579_HotChickenSandwichJune6th2021.thumb.jpg.533560f4e90e2ea3bae85f6746ca86f2.jpg

From "Moe's Diner" - Hot chicken sandwiches with homemade fries and canned peas.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

27 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
Cheater dinner tonight.
Too tired too cook so I bought a grocery store rotisserie chicken and picked one that had some drippings.
I pour the meager drippings from the container into a skillet, added some butter and let it cook until the juices cooked down and started to brown.
When they were brown enough I added some flour to make a roux and finished with chicken broth and seasoned with rubbed sage , salt and pepper.
267720579_HotChickenSandwichJune6th2021.thumb.jpg.533560f4e90e2ea3bae85f6746ca86f2.jpg

From "Moe's Diner" - Hot chicken sandwiches with homemade fries and canned peas.

Jacques Pepin just posted a similar cheat. You are in good comapny

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1