• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

8 hours ago, TicTac said:

Located a new source for gourmet mushrooms, including one of my new favourites - Lions mane.  Forget the unreal health benefits from this fungi, the taste and texture are unreal.  Buttery beyond beliefe.

080F526F-AD0E-4D96-B9D3-331578C17EFA.thumb.jpeg.632e1e42334c0b894c097fa491b16ee1.jpeg

Initially I would slice these but most mushrooms are easily and naturally tear - so I tried that method.

E94513C5-7DC6-4DDC-A563-A27C5E53AC96.thumb.jpeg.4ff2044e02b934035a48e5a5803988ca.jpeg

Dry sauté just salt and high heat 

ECD89EDC-51FD-48BB-85A0-B14C839EC93B.thumb.jpeg.ab876e49a378804564abafd4989f8f13.jpeg

butter added at the end

79CAB6F6-7950-4D72-9CC1-2E8F11575825.thumb.jpeg.88b93f45b5884542761ca79858b96d40.jpeg

served in crisp gnocchi, fried prosciutto end bits, ricotta salata 

Does your source ship? 

7 hours ago, scamhi said:

dinner with a friend last night.

Grilled rib eye and I made a roasted cauliflower laab which was off the charts good. recipe here

wines the St Aubin was great and my Chevillon was corked. Replacement bottle of the Hermitage was awesome.

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

If you’re accepting friend requests let me know 😂 that all sounds delicious. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Does your source ship? 

Local organic farmers market.  Not sure the legalities of shipping shrooms cross border, but if you want to investigate, I am happy to send some down south :)

• Thanks 1

With fresh "Lion's Mane" mushrooms (the Chinese name, 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū) means 'monkey head mushroom'), for breakfast, I like to slice the larger ones and fry the slices, then poach an egg and place it top of the slices. Sort of like poached egg on toast,  but the "bread" being the mushrooms. It only works with fresh 'shrooms which regretably have a short season (in autumn) round these parts. The dried ones are available everywhere, all year round.

They are one of those mushrooms which I feel are as good dried as fresh, but in different ways. Shiitake are the same. In fact, I sometimes use both fresh and dried in the same dish. It's like having two different mushrooms, equally delicious. In fact, with the lion's mane, the dried and fresh versions even look very different.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh

1530471238_Monkeyheadmushroom.thumb.jpg.0dd2ebe8d61870b4ef78ba1a1bb3c08d.jpg

Dried

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

With fresh "Lion's Mane" mushrooms (the Chinese name, 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū) means 'monkey head mushroom, for breakfast, I like to slice the larger ones and fry the slices, then poach an egg and place it top of the slices. Sort of like poached egg on toast,  but the "bread" being the mushrooms. It only works with fresh 'shrooms which regretably have a short season (in autumn) round these parts. The dried ones are available everywhere, all year round.

They are one of those mushrooms which I feel are as good dried as fresh, but in different ways. Shiitake are the same. In fact, I sometimes use both fresh and dried in the same dish. It's like having two different mushrooms, equally delicious. In fact, with the lion's mane, the dried and fresh versions even look very different.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh

1530471238_Monkeyheadmushroom.thumb.jpg.0dd2ebe8d61870b4ef78ba1a1bb3c08d.jpg

Dried

It looks like you're eating Tribbles! (Star Trek reference)

xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

552153186_MoesBirthdayMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.3cb57c015f61d9cda955cd707d7c6637.jpg
We celebrated Moe's 80th Birthday tonight with a bottle of Champagne.
I have love this man since I was 21 and he was 32.
Amazing how quickly the time goes by.
330141138_PrimeRibBirthdayDinnerMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.e0daddcc78c561f0abcbf85d938e2310.jpg
Dinner tonight was one of Moe's favourites. Just a simple prime rib dinner with
354835226_YorkshirePuddingBirthdayDinnerMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.1666d935e12fa96d125c47d1af15fb33.jpg
Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes and gravy.

EDITED TO ADD:

Moe grew up in Windsor Ontario where strawberries were always in season in May. It was a tradition to always have something with strawberries on his birthday.

I've carried on that tradition for 48 years.

Thankfully strawberries have just come into season this week on Vancouver Island and I was able to get local strawberries. I vary the dessert every year, and this year went back to an old favourite.

918794186_StrawberryShortcakeMoesbirthdayMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.2cb6dde2d636ad839f7c1e5667335ed7.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Delicious 5

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

You made my day. Thank you for sharing that sweet sentiment in a troubled time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dinner tonight didn't really happen.

I was cooking and stuck some chicken legs in my slow cooker (with a few other ingredients, of course) and wandered off to let it do its thing, while I did mine. When I went back to the kitchen to check on it, the light bulb had failed. It was night. I need a miner's helmet.

Now, I'm the sort of person, who never buys one of things like lightbulbs. I always have spares. But I've moved home recently and haven't got round to lightbulb stocking up. The local lightbulb shopping street* is about 5 minutes away, but it was too late. Nowhere else sells them. No light until tomorrow.

Well, I could have moved the slow cooker to another room. In fact I did. It's still bubbling away slowly. But I had other things to prepare and cook that I can only do in the kitchen.

I went out for a bowl of noodles in my local noodle-eria instead of my more adventurous, planned meal!

87944614_.thumb.jpg.317d38c616593d4f48fefc370a3c7311.jpg

These are 鲜肉粉 (xiān ròu fěn), which rather boringly translates as either 'fresh pork rice noodles' or 'delicious pork rice noodles' or both. They were good, but not what I'd been looking forward to all day.

Still, the chicken won't suffer from a night in the fridge. It'll probably be all the better for it. Luckily my fridge-freezers are not in the kitchen (long story) and one contains a frozen baguette and cheese, so if I get hungry again later ...

* For some reason, shops selling the same things gather in packs here. We have lightbulb alley, computer accessory street, cigarette boulevard, shoe avenue etc. Light bulb alley is my nearest such street.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

22 hours ago, David Ross said:

Someone reminded me that walnuts also make a delicious pesto.

Walnuts are often used instead of pine nuts in mass produced pesto sold in supermarkets. The cheaper option for the manufacturers. Always check the ingredients list when buying industrial pesto. Even better, don't buy it!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

* For some reason shops selling the same things gather in packs here. We have lightbulb alley, computer accessory street, cigarette boulevard, shoe avenue etc. Light bulb alley is my nearest such street.

I think this was pretty universal a long time ago.  I remember reading about Hanoi how the streets in the old section are named after what's sold there.  But even here, in NYC, you would have a certain stretch of different streets (in the older parts of the city) dedicated to selling restaurant supplies, or lighting, or clothing.  I think the thinking was the whole "rising tide floats all boats" thing - putting similar stores in the same area brings more people who are looking for that thing because they feel more guaranteed they'll find what they want somewhere.

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

It looks like you're eating Tribbles! (Star Trek reference)

xD

Damn sure does.

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:
552153186_MoesBirthdayMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.3cb57c015f61d9cda955cd707d7c6637.jpg

Thankfully strawberries have just come into season this week on Vancouver Island and I was able to get local strawberries. I vary the dessert every year, and this year went back to an old favourite.

918794186_StrawberryShortcakeMoesbirthdayMay28th2021.thumb.jpg.2cb6dde2d636ad839f7c1e5667335ed7.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake.

While the prime rib and Yorkies look wonderful, I would be perfectly content with the champagne and strawberry shortcake. Happiest of happy birthdays to Moe!

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

* For some reason shops selling the same things gather in packs here. We have lightbulb alley, computer accessory street, cigarette boulevard, shoe avenue etc. Light bulb alley is my nearest such street.

Last time I was in Tokyo, I decided to treat myself to some good knives. I asked at the hotel where I should go, and was told "Kitchen Street." Whereupon I went, and entertained myself for hours (and bought knives), and left after having made it through maybe a third of it. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hello everyone I need some help.  I have been going through all my eGullet photo archives and came across a photo, but no recipe, of grilled spring onions with a smoked tomato vinaigrette.  I know I can write the vinaigrette from scratch, but thought I would see if anyone has a good smoked tomato vinaigrette you make?  I've got lots of ideas of how to use this vinaigrette.  Here is that very old photo.

Grilled Spring Onions with Smoked Tomato Vinaigrette.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Damn sure does.

While the prime rib and Yorkies look wonderful, I would be perfectly content with the champagne and strawberry shortcake. Happiest of happy birthdays to Moe!

Last time I was in Tokyo, I decided to treat myself to some good knives. I asked at the hotel where I should go, and was told "Kitchen Street." Whereupon I went, and entertained myself for hours (and bought knives), and left after having made it through maybe a third of it. 

Was usual in Paris before so many small shops morphed into international brands.    .

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Happy Birthday Moe!!!!  Your meal looks so good--as always, @Ann_T

@Paul BacinoLove your fried fish.  I'm trying to remember if I've ever had paddlefish.  Seems that I have once...

All the mushroom dishes have me wishing I could get more exotic kinds around here.  I usually can smell the morel mushrooms growing and search them out, but I haven't this year.  It's been colder than normal...maybe they are just late.

Just came in from the garden.  Weeded and  finally got the corn planted.  Yeah.  It's late, but it'll be fine.  Everything looks pretty good knock on wood.

Ronnie has been fishing a lot.  Catching tons of catfish and bass, but no walleye--one of our favorites.  None that are long enough to keep anyway.  So, we've been eating a ton of fish.  This is bass with scalloped potatoes, salad and garden asparagus.

thumbnail_IMG_0865.jpg.b7a0fcc1f4bb3be5e1dcd2e39e8a2068.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0863.jpg.d6277f687473d65eb528e810bbe9fdb5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0868.jpg.bce29c6a85c6493a6e4ad7b33ca9912f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0871.jpg.a9895795a8aa8333ff782c94da9c7a26.jpg

Found some wings on Imperfect Foods.  3.99 lb.  Yeah.  Pricey.  But, we couldn't find them around here.  So, I did a mishmash of Korean..Asian-ish wings, drunken noodles and bok choi from the garden.

thumbnail_IMG_0872.jpg.0bbba3b26f827c5b9279eb69e7b9331d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0873.jpg.a52caa971365c69553178ee8ce932e14.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0874.jpg.2135c566a81cc6c9563a3cf027379562.jpg

Lamb stew on a chilly night.  I put parsnips in the  stew two times ago and Ronnie raved about it, so I did it again the time before this.  He claimed he didn't like them in there that time --arrrrrgh.  So, this was parsnip-less stew lol.

thumbnail_IMG_0877.jpg.fa157d428f929ccc31e634a1e5a398e4.jpg

Sandwiches with lettuce and tomato from the garden.  Four because I made two for Ronnie to take for him and his buddy fishing the next day.  

thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg.890b9d4f65cc2a0e8cae4677a511e914.jpg

Took a couple big bags of catfish over to my cleaning angel friend and she gave me 5 containers of her garden strawberries in return!  HEAVENLY!!!  I have eaten my weight in them.  Still have some to use.....she freezes hers.  Might do that for a treat this winter.....  Her kids--adorable kids btw--picked them for me and were so excited that I was excited.

thumbnail_IMG_0880.jpg.8a2ad6ffea83836e3e9fc84a36f5cba2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0885.jpg.083bb02239f978d8c1afbba81b9fca29.jpg

Made a white cake...I could just eat this for days lol.

thumbnail_IMG_0884.jpg.d835f3f66248bdb602557eedf51c65ec.jpg

More fish with asparagus salad.

thumbnail_IMG_0883.jpg.5c8c49af9655a0f90adf1003baa489b0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0882.jpg.b1c26355f6a3a3fe207ef30190a86caf.jpg

And finally last night venison taco salads, stuffed peppers that fell apart and ceviche made from bass.

thumbnail_IMG_0887.jpg.e5de88fd7a0c46d7d1b211a460a76ac4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0886.jpg.69403b28a71f53cae5d4b10c3890dba8.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 5

6 hours ago, David Ross said:

Hello everyone I need some help. 

Does this help? Click

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, liuzhou said:

With fresh "Lion's Mane" mushrooms (the Chinese name, 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū) means 'monkey head mushroom'), for breakfast, I like to slice the larger ones and fry the slices, then poach an egg and place it top of the slices. Sort of like poached egg on toast,  but the "bread" being the mushrooms. It only works with fresh 'shrooms which regretably have a short season (in autumn) round these parts. The dried ones are available everywhere, all year round.

Never seen dried whole Lion's Mane.  From what I understand they are often used for medicinal applications (all of the 'brain boosting power' of this mushroom is purportedly best consumed in a dried ground form).

Fortunately these are from a local 'gourmet' mushroom farm which will be able to supply year round.  Good idea with the fried egg, might have to try that one.

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Never seen dried whole Lion's Mane.  From what I understand they are often used for medicinal applications (all of the 'brain boosting power' of this mushroom is purportedly best consumed in a dried ground form).

Fortunately these are from a local 'gourmet' mushroom farm which will be able to supply year round.  Good idea with t Yur fresh looked and sounded wonderfulhe fried egg, might have to try that one.

I have only seen them, in the more medicinal and tea shops in Chinatown. Very pretty but I have not purchased. Your fresh looked and sounded wonderful. 

• Like 1

Last four nights have been frozen French fries.  I am not ashamed.  A new brand for me, Alexia, that are pretty acceptable.  This afforded an opportunity to compare APO "air fried" to traditional deep fried potatoes, at least as far as frozen French fries are concerned.

The APO potatoes were better than expected, at least until they got cold.  But the deep fried potatoes were far better, and were tasty even after no longer hot.  Deep frying is a little more mess than air frying, but deep frying takes less time.  Thus I conclude there is no point to air frying French fries.  At least as far as frozen French fries are concerned.

Full disclosure:  three nights were Kenji smash burgers, tonight was tuna salad.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Kenji smash burgers

Ok, so I need to disclose that I never had a smash burger.

I looked it up, but I am still not clear whether this refers just to a specific type of burger chain variety or if that is decribing the cooking process (squeezing the patty like a sponge) or maybe both ? 

Anyway, I am curious: concerning the idea, the benefits / tasty secrets of the style and how you make yours 🤗 

Ohh - and a picture ! Because without a picture ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last four nights have been frozen French fries.  I am not ashamed.  A new brand for me, Alexia, that are pretty acceptable.  This afforded an opportunity to compare APO "air fried" to traditional deep fried potatoes, at least as far as frozen French fries are concerned.

Alexia makes a version of tater tots that works for me as a desperation snack. They are baked in the oven, so it isn't instant gratification and requires a little patience. Good with a whisky or a whiskey.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Ok, so I need to disclose that I never had a smash burger.

I looked it up, but I am still not clear whether this refers just to a specific type of burger chain variety or if that is decribing the cooking process (squeezing the patty like a sponge) or maybe both ? 

Anyway, I am curious: concerning the idea, the benefits / tasty secrets of the style and how you make yours 🤗 

Ohh - and a picture ! Because without a picture ...

Smash burger refers to the cooking process.  Kenji calls for a temperature of 370C.  The constraints of my kitchen dictate slightly lower.

I form a quarter pound of ground beef into a ball.  Then smash it with this (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  To make sure it's dead I whack it hard with this (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  Then turn the beef for about 30 seconds before plating on a Pennsylvania Dutch potato roll.

Ohh - and no one likes a cold smash burger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou