• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

we had both California French and Catalina and Russian

[ sic ] growing up.  I looked up Catalina and now remember it well :

Ketchup  ' dressed up '

Yes. The only reason we ate it as kids was because we could see Catalina Island from the house. Not the origin of the name but - oh the mind...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Recent fish Run!!

Paddlefish ( Slap your Momma seasoning )/ walleye/ crappie ( Cajun spice)

51200665194_40981d467f_m.jpg

The set up--a panko crusted/ Tercero Viognier  Vino

51200095663_0db0b416a8_m.jpg

The finish--tarter dipping sauce

51200668114_4e3ef511be_m.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Its good to have Morels

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The link is not working for me.  Thanks but what I was looking for was how to air fry a facsimile of French fries, not sweet potato fries.

The embedded link doesn't work but if you copy the URL that was typed out and paste it into a new browser window, the proper recipe page will appear.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Hake stew with coconut, lime, cilantro, and bok choy

89406138_hakestew.thumb.jpg.4d2a7bb58fe2b8c97e260626d6288bf0.jpg

Nice ! Is that based on a curried coconut broth or which basic flavor elements you use for the stew (other than lime & cilantro) ?

My Friend , the Reluctant Poster

from Woods Hole , sent me these pics of a recent weekend dinner :

I post for him , as he is too busy lazy :

IMG-0071.thumb.jpg.b34daf9b6347bb90a05eae6cd38c1429.jpg  

said to be Lobster salad on fennel w lemon vinaigrette 

IMG-0072.thumb.jpg.290b0367334bced8ca3af1ba9d072f29.jpg

140F Lamb , saffron pilaf w currants and pine nuts   BrSps 

no mention of desert nor wine.

betting there were both.

Im trying to talk him into 135 F lamb the next time

no idea where these Chops came from

I like the idea they were not ' over ' Frenched

the meat around those bones Im sure was tasty .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

A German interlude:

Stewed beef neck, red cabbage & potato Knödel (commercial - hey, it’s a weekday) ...

97F58C06-AA28-4AD7-BF94-9867E267EFB1.thumb.jpeg.a51fb70b49f25b43fde6b25aed8b7e2a.jpeg

Served with a nice wheat beer.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Nice ! Is that based on a curried coconut broth or which basic flavor elements you use for the stew (other than lime & cilantro) ?

Yes, it is a broth made from coconut milk.  I put in shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, green curry paste, fish sauce, chiles, cilantro, a little palm sugar, scallions, and lime juice and simmered it until it tasted good to me.  The fish, bok choy, and extra herbs went in at the end.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dessert, to balance out all the potatoes this past week I was craving fruit. 

This is what I call Raw Apple Pie. The apples are partly candied and layered on a tart shell. Most often, I add a thick layer of pastry cream and/or an apple whip (from the juice that comes from the candying), but I was trying to cut back on the calories. ;) 

The browned slices marinated in rum and vanilla over night. I like the combination. 

raw-apple-pie18.jpg

raw-apple-pie15.jpg

raw-apple-pie01.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 7

Thanks all for chiming in re: the Air Fryer.  It sounds like what we thought was right and that it is a good thing for her to use on her own, but not worth me getting one. 

@Duvel – that leg of lamb looks SO good.  I have been dreaming of going to Zahav in Philadelphia to try their lamb shoulder with pomegranate molassas and your lamb looks like the roast they start with. 

@kayb– I’m so glad that you got to go to Bulrush!  Thanks so much for taking the time to get pictures and sharing with us!

@rotuts – I, too, remember those dressings.  I still like Russian a LOT.  Once in a great while I’ll want French.  But Catalina was too sweet for me even when I was a kid!

My uncle retired from McCormick spices years ago but is still loyal to the products.  One thing that he loves is using their Beef Stroganoff seasoning packet.  It is his “specialty”😁.  A couple of months ago he couldn’t find it anywhere up in Northern VA.  I found some down here in Richmond VA and sent him a bunch.  I hadn't had any in forever so, I kept a couple for myself.  It is one of those mixes where you cook the meat and add water and the seasoning mix and simmer.  Sour cream is added just before serving.  The flavor is fine for something so easy and quick.  But I made an interesting discovery.  I don’t know if anyone remembers some steaks I made at the beginning of the month that were SO tough.  I figured it was because I accidentally overcooked them.  Which I DID, but that is only part of the reason they were so bad.  I used the same “steaks” from the same place (Tom Leonard’s) for the Beef Stroganoff and they were even tougher and NOT at all over cooked.  We ended up in the store the next day and spoke to the butcher who confessed that these pieces of meat, though clearly marked “filets” and certainly cut and packaged to resemble filet mignon, are actually just “boneless chuck”.  So, we had sawed and chewed our way through this stroganoff Friday night:

IMG_6001.jpg.91e5bbe46dca538e27840e14adc70b29.jpg

😠 Thank goodness there was a nice salad or we’d have choked to death:

IMG_5998.jpg.895f6b72cfcfa69aad68e28c0abb312d.jpg

Mr. Kim had to start fasting on Sunday for some testing on Monday, so for dinner he picked pizza from a local place on Saturday:

IMG_6008.jpg.0f90a03355b92226d7dab265c797c172.jpg

Since he was fasting on Sunday, I just had breakfast for dinner:

IMG_6009.jpg.c1259b3b72354ca141349a71b7ba12fa.jpg

ET bagel from the freezer with smoked salmon cream cheese. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks all for chiming in re: the Air Fryer.  It sounds like what we thought was right and that it is a good thing for her to use on her own, but not worth me getting one. 

@Duvel – that leg of lamb looks SO good.  I have been dreaming of going to Zahav in Philadelphia to try their lamb shoulder with pomegranate molassas and your lamb looks like the roast they start with. 

@kayb– I’m so glad that you got to go to Bulrush!  Thanks so much for taking the time to get pictures and sharing with us!

@rotuts – I, too, remember those dressings.  I still like Russian a LOT.  Once in a great while I’ll want French.  But Catalina was too sweet for me even when I was a kid!

My uncle retired from McCormick spices years ago but is still loyal to the products.  One thing that he loves is using their Beef Stroganoff seasoning packet.  It is his “specialty”😁.  A couple of months ago he couldn’t find it anywhere up in Northern VA.  I found some down here in Richmond VA and sent him a bunch.  I hadn't had any in forever so, I kept a couple for myself.  It is one of those mixes where you cook the meat and add water and the seasoning mix and simmer.  Sour cream is added just before serving.  The flavor is fine for something so easy and quick.  But I made an interesting discovery.  I don’t know if anyone remembers some steaks I made at the beginning of the month that were SO tough.  I figured it was because I accidentally overcooked them.  Which I DID, but that is only part of the reason they were so bad.  I used the same “steaks” from the same place (Tom Leonard’s) for the Beef Stroganoff and they were even tougher and NOT at all over cooked.  We ended up in the store the next day and spoke to the butcher who confessed that these pieces of meat, though clearly marked “filets” and certainly cut and packaged to resemble filet mignon, are actually just “boneless chuck”.  So, we had sawed and chewed our way through this stroganoff Friday night:

IMG_6001.jpg.91e5bbe46dca538e27840e14adc70b29.jpg

😠 Thank goodness there was a nice salad or we’d have choked to death:

IMG_5998.jpg.895f6b72cfcfa69aad68e28c0abb312d.jpg

Mr. Kim had to start fasting on Sunday for some testing on Monday, so for dinner he picked pizza from a local place on Saturday:

IMG_6008.jpg.0f90a03355b92226d7dab265c797c172.jpg

Since he was fasting on Sunday, I just had breakfast for dinner:

IMG_6009.jpg.c1259b3b72354ca141349a71b7ba12fa.jpg

ET bagel from the freezer with smoked salmon cream cheese. 

That sounds illegal, mislabeled meat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That sounds illegal, mislabeled meat.

Certainly unethical.  It didn't say "tenderloin".  Just "filet".  Which, without a bone it certainly was.  Not sure how much actual regulation there is about what cuts are called.  When I Google it, there is nothing for "filet" but "filet mignon" - it is just assumed to be tenderloin.  Additionally, it is stupid.  If the butcher hadn't been standing there and told us that it was actually chuck, we would have continued to assume that it was really poor quality beef.  

• Sad 4

if its not clear what's in the packages 

I sometimes just ask.

never had a butcher bothered by it.

indeed the few Ive asked over the years 

enjoy interacting w their customers.

a bit harder these days :

1 }  I don't go to those stores these days

2 ) a lot more beef is cut and packaged off site.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3