• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Dinner tonight was supposed to have been clams.  I'm not sure what presentation of clams, but clams.  However life got in the way.  After a migraine this evening dinner tonight was shad.  Shad that probably should have been pitched by now, but at $110, waste not want not.  Methode Rotuts and a mai tai cover many sins.  It was not impossible to pretend the shad was not half bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Maybe I’m watching the Eurovision Song Contest… maybe I’m not…

It takes more than a bottle of Malbec to watch that ...

• Haha 4

You know the drill ... Pizza & Movie night on Sundays 🥳

The classic opener: Salami & mushrooms (unfortunately, not as round as it should be) ...

4A65CA2E-454B-43B3-B481-0A001EA07B82.thumb.jpeg.96cc8f2c242b0046b1cc90f43e5c3987.jpeg

Cooking time just short of 3 min.

42F75B9C-9233-49A6-B4A8-CAB4B9B4764E.thumb.jpeg.575da8620e1e9b69966d2ac13c09b679.jpeg

Tuna and onions for our house guest ...

CA231F93-3C57-4C26-B0D6-54E1FF5D64E8.thumb.jpeg.c4a64163d43aed03703ae71ed390f1ff.jpeg

Fresh pineapple and smoked lardons for @weinoo 

114F676B-58EA-40F3-8402-DCE395DCBB6D.thumb.jpeg.a9a15e6b55faaf62c98257b1c0b60c77.jpeg

Olives & extra cheese for the house guest, too ...

B6184DB5-E762-47E8-89BA-E3D24DFE6C9D.thumb.jpeg.3eadae11f77eabb74484308e1069892d.jpeg

Classic Margherita for me !

74A24788-41EF-48EA-8C5F-0A5D1937EEC5.thumb.jpeg.ca6f27d5ecf59d1af815cea357928d68.jpeg

All enjoyed with „Night at the Museum III“ and this ...

1764286D-892F-440E-BC38-F8F70E38BE71.thumb.jpeg.b1c817abab15d829b92a3fb7a3b4ea2a.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Bloody ground beef puck with matsutake.    Divine.

40 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That looks lovely - but are you positive on your matsutake

I'm fairly certain those are maitake, (Japanese: 舞茸  or マイタケ), aka hen-of-the-woods, ram's head or sheep's head, Grifola frondosa.

Definitely not matsutake. I hope you didn't pay matsutake prices for maitake!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Salami & mushrooms (unfortunately, not as round as it should be)

You better spend  $500 to figure that out!!

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Tuna and onions for our house guest ...

Aaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh.

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Fresh pineapple and smoked lardons for @weinoo 

Oh god...

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Classic Margherita for me !

Whew...

image.png.7d8e89f9f9575d07ea8f9859e4f777d6.png

Ahhhhhhhhhh...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

IMG_4194.thumb.jpeg.922124b0b0918deac20ec3478f959116.jpeg

3rd grade plating. Cured and slow-roasted Rohan duck legs. Not crispy enough (but good enough for lazy person) potatoes. Asparagus. A Burgundian-leaning California Pinot Noir to drink.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

3rd grade plating. Cured and slow-roasted Rohan duck legs. Not crispy enough (but good enough for lazy person) potatoes. Asparagus. A Burgundian-leaning California Pinot Noir to drink.

Was this with the ME Sonoma Coast? What did you think?

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I made the Aubergine Dumplings alla Parmigiana from Ottolenghi's Flavour to deliver to my cousins.  She avoiding meat, he a die hard carnivore.  I got good reviews from both of them. 

These look really good.  I am going to make this on Wednesday, assuming I actually get eggplant in today's grocery delivery (Mondays are dicey for food deliveries around here).

Last night, chicken kebabs marinated in yogurt, ginger, and lime juice, grilled and tossed in a lime-mint butter, with yogurt sauce, flatbread, rice and salad.

1429659265_mintyogurtchicken.thumb.jpg.623efa0268803aaa8faae57dfe465a73.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

55 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Was this with the ME Sonoma Coast? What did you think?

Yes - I really like the ME stuff in general, and often feel like the general "Sonoma coast" pinots are perhaps more to my liking than some of the single vineyard wines. A little bit "thinner" if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm fairly certain those are maitake, (Japanese: 舞茸  or マイタケ), aka hen-of-the-woods, ram's head or sheep's head, Grifola frondosa.

Indeed. Matsutake prices in Japan...

US$247

41sLBxj.jpg

US$165

YRFMUyS.jpg

I ate it cooked in rice in Japan. So incredibly aromatic.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Indeed. Matsutake prices in Japan...

US$247

41sLBxj.jpg

US$165

YRFMUyS.jpg

I ate it cooked in rice. So incredibly aromatic.

I distinctly remember reading about the matsutake in the 70s for the first time in the Time Life Foods of the Word - Japan book. They went on my list along with fresh truffles. Sadly neither have entered my life. The reverence shown them was an eye opener to the Japanese way with seasonal foods.

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

I distinctly remember reading about the matsutake in the 70s for the first time in the Time Life Foods of the Word - Japan book. They went on my list along with fresh truffles. Sadly neither have entered my life. The reverence shown them was an eye opener to the Japanese way with seasonal foods.

Truffles are nice but if I had to choose one...matsutake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Actually most 3rd grade plating is often in the "no 2 different items touching or I can't eat it" phase

• Haha 3

On 5/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, kayb said:

Warning: long post. Because it was a dinner that calls for a long post and lots of pictures.

I was in St. Louis this past week, and having had to miss my planned dinner at Bulrush year before last, I was determined to get there this time. And I did. And it was spectacular.

Rob -- thank you for a  great evening!

Thanks for making the journey up! Maybe next time I can actually not recoil from your hug :) (sigh, covid ptsd)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Many thanks.    Definitely hen-of-the-woods.   Typing too fast for my own good.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ill have to look up Catalina

That was one of my husband's favorite salad dressings. It is totally unavailable in Costa Rica so I learned to make it. It tastes just like the real thing case you want the recipe.