• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Simple meal for a simple (souled) Boy. Who knew single serve mashed potato would be so tricky! It was very nearly butter with a potato swirl. 

You say that like it's a bad thing?... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/18/2021 at 10:48 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I bought a head today.  Do you do something to your romaine or just grill it naked.

I do a light drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon or lime, and a bit of salt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Niece's request: salmon banh mi.  She is trying to cram all her favorites in before her brother comes home (tomorrow).  They have very different food preferences and do not agree on many dinners.

1444079883_salmonbanhmi.thumb.jpg.1a6926ca153657b51114425512089c0a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

10 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Niece's request: salmon banh mi.  She is trying to cram all her favorites in before her brother comes home (tomorrow).  They have very different food preferences and do not agree on many dinners.

1444079883_salmonbanhmi.thumb.jpg.1a6926ca153657b51114425512089c0a.jpg

This looks like you make a salmon cake first, is taht right?  What seasonings do you use in there?

I haven't done much cooking lately (too busy unpacking and setting up) but I did get a chance to do this:

PXL_20210520_000123764.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.95e1e8441449282d2cba6d3ae5de9dad.jpg

Indian spiced chicken thighs with masala potatoes

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

you have BC Spot Prawns in the freezer

In my dreams!

I did see Santa Barbara spots at Regalis; they're a fortune. And if you tell us how much the BC ones cost you, I'll be extremely jealous.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

In my dreams!

I did see Santa Barbara spots at Regalis; they're a fortune. And if you tell us how much the BC ones cost you, I'll be extremely jealous.

@weinooThe price isn't all that bad right now.  I've been buying all my seafood from Walcan Seafoods which is just up Island from me and they deliver twice a week down Island both fresh and frozen seafood.

This season they have live prawns delivered to the door.  5lbs for $99.00.   I still have some of their frozen prawns from last season (last nights) and they were $36.00 for a 1 kilo box (heads on)  Extra large which is about22 to 24 prawns in a box.   Even though I still have a few boxes in the freezer,  I'm thinking of ordering 5lbs for next Tuesday. 

I still have the fresh halibut I bought recently that I vacuumed packaged as well as sashimi grade Albacore tuna, petrale sole and sockeye salmon in the freezer.  All from Walcan.  Moe is very happy. He has always loved seafood more than me. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

This looks like you make a salmon cake first, is taht right?  What seasonings do you use in there?

Yes, it is an Andrea Nguyen recipe.  I have made it enough that I don't look at the cookbook anymore.  Basically, it is salmon ground up in a food processor, seasoned with onion, cilantro, and fish sauce.  You add cornstarch, baking powder and egg white to bind it together.  I put in Thai basil too when I have it, but right now my plants are too small to take any leaves from them.  I leave the cakes in the fridge for a couple of hours before pan frying to make sure they hold together nicely. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Yes, it is an Andrea Nguyen recipe.  I have made it enough that I don't look at the cookbook anymore.  Basically, it is salmon ground up in a food processor, seasoned with onion, cilantro, and fish sauce.  You add cornstarch, baking powder and egg white to bind it together.  I put in Thai basil too when I have it, but right now my plants are too small to take any leaves from them.  I leave the cakes in the fridge for a couple of hours before pan frying to make sure they hold together nicely. 

I wonder what the purpose of the baking powder is?  You could make this Thai style as well by throwing in some chilies, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass,etc... or just add a bit of red curry paste!  Like a salmon ho mok

• Like 1

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Smashed cucumbers has converted many a cuke hater. It did so for my father, too.

Perhaps there's a recipe on the internet somewhere for smashed corn that will convert you. xD :wink:

• Haha 8

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 5/19/2021 at 6:47 AM, Anna N said:

Lightly brush it with olive oil. I have not run into the issue of it becoming so limp that it is hard to handle as mentioned by @gfweb.  I like mine still crisp but with char. 

How long do you broil / sauté the halved romaine?

(I have no grill).

22 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How long do you broil / sauté the halved romaine?

(I have no grill).

I don’t mean to sound flippant but I don’t know any other way to say it. Until it is done to my satisfaction. It depends very much on how hot the broiler is, how close the lettuce is to the heat source, how much char you enjoy…. It’s just lettuce. Try it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don’t mean to sound flippant but I don’t know any other way to say it. Until it is done to my satisfaction. It depends very much on how hot the broiler is, how close the lettuce is to the heat source, how much char you enjoy…. It’s just lettuce. Try it. 

Funny this comes up now.   We served charred romaine with gribiche as starter at a dinner Tuesday night.   My method: halve heads of romaine, run two twines around the halves i.e,, at one end and at the other.   Moosh in OO, salt and pepper.   Fire up ridged grill pan to smoking, drop in bundles, cut side down, flip when that side is, as Anna instructs, blackened to your style.    Plate, remove strings, dress, serve.    Take a  bow!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

A couple of days ago @blue_dolphin posted a tasty looking blueberry and corn salad with blueberry dressing from the Moosewood Restaurant Table in the salad thread.  That reminded me that I also own a copy of that cookbook, and I have never really looked through it before (it was a gift). I had all of the ingredients, so decided to make it for dinner last night.  I topped it with chicken marinated in lemon, thyme and olive oil.  My sister hates goat cheese so I used Boursin.  The corn was fire roasted from the freezer.  Everyone really liked this salad.  I left the book out to go through and mark other recipes to try in the coming weeks.

246908634_blueberrychickensalad.thumb.jpg.901e44d8af732f746d5be25b13241dd6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Clearly ( I hope), this not all of my dinner, but I bring it to tell you something important!

I have stumbled on my new favourite way to cook potatoes.  I was braising some skinless chicken drumsticks in Shaoxing wine and Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) black vinegar with some onion.  Decided to have the chicken with simply boiled, skin-on, new potatoes.

At that moment terminal laziness struck and I just threw the potatoes in with the chicken and braising liquid instead of getting out a  new pan. 

A revelation! Potatoes done in Zhenjiang vinegar, Shaoxing wine and some chicken exudance juices are the future of potatoes!    

20210521_214717.thumb.jpg.2f363df6e8f0c8afb1dcb11ee9ec43cc.jpg

Some of dinner. Served with a side of stir-fried greenery, which I can't even remember eating. I was more in awe at the awsomeness of the awesome potatoes.

Did I mention, they were quite good?                  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Clearly ( I hope), this not all of my dinner, but I bring it to tell you something important!

I have stumbled on my new favourite way to cook potatoes.  I was braising some skinless chicken drumsticks in Shaoxing wine and Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) black vinegar with some onion.  Decided to have the chicken with simply boiled, skin-on, new potatoes.

At that moment terminal laziness struck and I just threw the potatoes in with the chicken and braising liquid instead of getting out a  new pan. 

A revelation! Potatoes done in Zhenjiang vinegar, Shaoxing wine and some chicken exudance juices are the future of potatoes!    

20210521_214717.thumb.jpg.2f363df6e8f0c8afb1dcb11ee9ec43cc.jpg

Some of dinner. Served with a side of stir-fried greenery, which I can't even remember eating. I was more in awe at the awsomeness of the awesome potatoes.

Did I mention, they were quite good?                  

What made them so good? Was the texture any different than standard boiled potatoes? If so, how?

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What made them so good? Was the texture any different than standard boiled potatoes? If so, how?

No. The texture was as normal. Just the taste knocked me out. The way they absorbed the vinegary taste with hints of chicken fat.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto