• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Grilled chicken left over from my landlady and her partner's cookout , with sides of boiled potatoes with compound butter, and sauteed asparagus

20210510_193635.jpg

• Like 12

Flashback to old school Italian restaurants, Long Island style...

IMG_4122.thumb.jpeg.54836b0b55e4c0f820483b5e9aaa389f.jpeg

Pane all'aglio. 

IMG_4123.thumb.jpeg.43d4644e325a79403fd34b44c183dea5.jpeg

Spaghetti aglio e olio.

Carciofi alla Romana not pictured.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

23 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you again for this recipe. I made it last night and it was great. I also made their butter chicken and it was one of the best that I have tried. Made it on the stove top instead of in the IP.

I am glad you liked it!  And thanks for the recommendation for her butter chicken.  I am making Indian food on Saturday and will give it a try then.  I will confess that I have an Instant Pot but have never used it.  I think I am afraid the lid will blow off or something.

Last night, yellowtail flounder roll ups in a coconut, lime, and cilantro sauce with tomatoes.  Rice.  We all liked this recipe a lot.  The recipe was in the New York Times: (behind a paywall, sorry) https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022129-coconut-fish-and-tomato-bake?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=1

262814396_coconuttomatofish2.thumb.jpg.25d9f7b0b3605fca308b525f1f8bb592.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Crazy and sad times around here... I guess a year+ of pandemic wan't bad enough for some people...

Anyway, we still need to eat.

I improvised some noodles with Indonesian and Mexican inspiration. A salsa of roasted green chilies, cilantro, garlic, sesame paste, lime, coriander seeds, cumin, a bit of light soy sauce and MSG. Shrimp, grilled tomatoes, grilled onions.

PXL_20210227_142009510.jpg

• Like 13
  • Sad 6

~ Shai N.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you again for this recipe. I made it last night and it was great. I also made their butter chicken and it was one of the best that I have tried. Made it on the stove top instead of in the IP.

Where do I find this butter chicken recipe? Thanks

15 minutes ago, shain said:

Crazy and sad times around here... I guess a year+ of pandemic wan't bad enough for some people...

Anyway, we still need to eat.

I improvised some noodles with Indonesian and Mexican inspiration. A salsa of roasted green chilies, cilantro, garlic, sesame paste, lime, coriander seeds, cumin, a bit of light soy sauce and MSG. Shrimp, grilled tomatoes, grilled onions.

PXL_20210227_142009510.jpg

Yes food is our unifying factor and often the intersection and understanding needed for cultures to accept one another. Thus I LOVE your culture marriage dish :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I am afraid the lid will blow off or something.

I'm always sad when I hear someone say that they haven't IP and they are afraid to use it. I probably have more reason to be afraid of it than a lot of people because 3 weeks before I got mine, my Oster pressure cooker blew up. I was about eight feet from it and didn't get hurt but my kitchen is 15 by 20 and it splattered every wall and everything in my kitchen. Three weeks later I got mine, but it's a Chinese knockoff that is built just like an IP. It was the only thing available in Costa Rica at the time. It has all the safety features of an IP and I use it three or four times a week with no fear.

With your impressive repertoire of menus, I don't see that it would add a lot to your style of cooking but there are so many little things that I use it for that are time-savers and actually improve the quality of the food being cooked. It is a wonderful rice cooker, makes perfect boiled eggs every time in under 15 minutes, is great for steaming vegetables, and makes a lot of quick desserts. To get a better idea of what I am saying just check out our Multi Cooker thread. And to address your fear of the IP please check out this article.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Punctuation and spelling (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

things that I use it for that are time-savers ... ... makes perfect boiled eggs every time in under 15 minutes

Now I'm confused (as usual)

I regularly make "perfect" boiled eggs and eat them them in under 15 minutes. Where's the time saving?

I never steam vegetables either, but that's a Chinese thing I've picked up.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Lazy Okonomiyaki dog ...

0157988A-C472-48D8-8302-BE39F643362F.thumb.jpeg.c613a1ed5dcd6db14ce5f03dd4c03ea9.jpeg

Does one pick that up to eat it?  Or do you use chopsticks?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does one pick that up to eat it?  Or do you use chopsticks?

It‘s „Okonomi“, literally „as you wish“ ...

So ... I picked it up, but I can definitely see me (or you) sticking a chopstick in and eating it like a popsicle 😉

• Haha 1

I bought a nice fillet of wild pollock today ... yes, not the most adventurous fish, but sustainable and more importantly available fresh here in a regular shop. I was going for battered fried pollock, but in a last-minute decision I went for fish chowder. Good decision - family was very happy !

4BFC9A79-960C-48EF-B107-15C07DBBF28F.thumb.jpeg.03a7dd4374ba153d2d3786cecfae261f.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I bought a nice fillet of wild pollock today ... yes, not the most adventurous fish, but sustainable and more importantly available fresh here in a regular shop. I was going for battered fried pollock, but in a last-minute decision I went for fish chowder. Good decision - family was very happy !

4BFC9A79-960C-48EF-B107-15C07DBBF28F.thumb.jpeg.03a7dd4374ba153d2d3786cecfae261f.jpeg

I get wild pollock frequently so your chowder idea is on my tp be made soon list. I turned my last piece into a fish salad this morning.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kayb – the oysters have me drooling.  One of the things I’ve always regretted missing on our NOLA trip was those Acme oysters. 

@weinoo – I also saw that Japanese fried chicken on ATK.  I’ve saved the recipe and, seeing yours, I know I need to dig it out of the pile!

@Duvel – I love seeing your son dig into all the different foods that you serve.  It reminds me of my now 37-year-old daughter when we used to take her to our favorite Chinese restaurant.   She was only about a year and a half old when we started going.  She loved it all!  The cooks got to know her and would send out little dishes of mystery food and crowd around the kitchen door window to watch her eat it.  One waiter said that when their kids would come eat at the restaurant they would always want hamburgers or chicken nuggets, so they loved seeing my little blonde-haired baby eating their food!  

@liamsaunt – those dinner rolls are just lovely.  I can almost taste and smell them!

@dcarch – what an absolutely gorgeous lamb chop platter that was.          

@Tropicalsenior – I agree with you – I prefer to make my hard cooked eggs in the IP.  For some reason, they turn out more consistent and easier to peel that way. 

We drove up to MD to pick crabs on Saturday for an early Mother’s Day treat for me.  Our usual place was out of blue crabs (they said they still had snow crab  Seriously?  If you are in MD and call yourself a “Crab House” and you are out of blue crabs, you need to close your doors for the day).  We ended up on Cobb Island at a place that we’d never been but turned out to have much better food than the other place.  Fantastic she crab soup:

48631E64-5627-48F5-982C-380B532613FF.thumb.jpg.fca087d5e3084845a93dde97b5f51fe9.jpg

It didn’t just taste like cream soup with crabmeat.  Every bite tasted of crab. 

Good, oniony hush puppies:

B5CF3E59-6D0F-4B64-9AEC-3DA368CE7790.jpg.cb498a42e5a2352569ac2c9060ef303a.jpg

I think these might be food service pups, but they were still good. 

Crabs and shrimp:

IMG_5851.JPG.288ca52eb55b90e2e426d7a3e903659a.JPG

Good quality and perfectly cooked.

Last night:

IMG_5895.thumb.jpg.6b21bccd9813d2210609b75e642c2180.jpg

IP beef and gravy, Duchess potatoes (purchased), and long cooked green beans.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Fantastic she crab soup

I can’t eat crab but every time you post about it I think of this dish that was one of my late husband‘s favourites. It makes a lovely appetizer. I used to put shrimp instead of crab in mine. 
Here.

You can assemble it all a few hours at a time, put it in the fridge, and bake it for service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay, I should have said perfect hard boiled eggs. I don't think that I would ever cook a 3-minute egg in the IP. In fact, I'm sure I wouldn't. I don't like them.

I was talking about hard boiled eggs. They don't take 15 minutes in my world.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, patti said:

Catfish tacos in my imperfect world. 

5ADA7BCC-1715-4895-B63F-5A3CAD4257D8.jpeg.6a15c03f44d73dfee154ed1755519b34.jpeg

Well child to a California Baja girl fish tacos + corn tortillas only ;) But the fish looks great!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well child to a California Baja girl fish tacos + corn tortillas only ;) But the fish looks great!

If I coulda I woulda. Or waited for my husband’s next trip to the store. I looked up recipes, but masa harina is not in my pantry. Like I said, my imperfect world. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by patti (log)
  • Haha 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We drove up to MD to pick crabs on Saturday for an early Mother’s Day treat for me.  Our usual place was out of blue crabs (they said they still had snow crab  Seriously?  If you are in MD and call yourself a “Crab House” and you are out of blue crabs, you need to close your doors for the day).  We ended up on Cobb Island at a place that we’d never been but turned out to have much better food than the other place.  Fantastic she crab soup:

Now I'm just a little bit jealous...but seriously, no blue crabs and they're open?!

Have you ever been to Cantler's (my guess is yes)? My favorite place for picking crab.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?