• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

11 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Beans and cornbread (and greens).

Jalapeño cheddar cornbread with local cornmeal from The Old Mill at Guilford.

Anson Mills sea island red peas cooked in ham stock. Collards cooked the same.

Representing the Carolinas here. Good stuff - really like those sea island peas! (Though I'm still not convinced about Carolina gold rice.)

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

35 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

That looks SO good to me! 

Very kind of you - tasted pretty good too!  I had to forego a second helping as my 3 and 5 year old kept 'Oooing and Ahhhing' requesting seconds (and fifths) prior to a bare dent being put in their initial servings.

• Like 1

Hamburger steak made with store bought sale chuck burgers, mushroom gravy with green peppercorns, and tater wedges.

2114332674_HamburgersteakMushroomsauce3776.jpg.3da630f03797d659c024a4b9bb0a4306.jpg

First time cooking Chinese lettuce / celtuce. I remember what @liuzhou said about this veg being bland and needed to be paired with something stronger flavoured. 
We had gone to get our first Covid vaccine shots, so supper was a quick one with the celtuce. Opened a can of fried dace with black beans. Sliced up the celtuce and stir-fried with some leftover prime rib roast.
I liked the texture of the celtuce and it went well with the fried dace.

1978878689_FriedDaceCeltuce3779.jpg.b1e63e335417b10ffe4f4f367de2d498.jpg

Used to be able to buy the canned dace for around $1.25, and it was great when we were bumming around the country in the 70s with a limited budget. The product was "banned" for a long time. It's been available for the last year or so, but the price has gone up to $4.25 for this last can! I think the little grocery store made big profits on this! Must load up when we are next in the big city Chinese grocery store!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Can we talk about the name of this?

Sure. They are a prized type of dried shiitake known in Chinese as 花菇 huā gū, literally 'flower mushroom'. The Chinese consider that the pattern of the cracked cap resembles the petals of a flower. Whether they taste any better than regular shiitake is a matter of opinion.

There is a lot more on Chinese mushrooms here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

47 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sure. They are a prized type of.......

Great info, thanks but I was referring to the papaya condiment, the relation to the name, if Mama is being teased or doing the teasing, etc.  

That wasn't chicken

@patti – great looking soup!  And I’m with your husband – pot roast is one of my favorite foods!

Made some kale for Mr. Kim.  Soaking:

IMG_5599.thumb.jpg.9e26c89affbc7efdebf3e6f90d711efe.jpg

Kale supporting players:

IMG_5600.thumb.jpg.93b1de0e28386a0b6ec9b1009303eeab.jpg

Frank’s, GOOD (Benton’s) bacon grease, and whatever oniony things are in the vegetable bin – this time it was half a large shallot and a couple of tired scallions.

Done and stinkin’ up my kitchen:

IMG_5601.jpg.f43905a44b80c13bef4397bdf8fa4b95.jpg

😉

Dinner on Tuesday was a recipe we saw on The Kitchen by Sunny Anderson:

IMG_5604.jpg.29b8e7bbeaf7182d7b072fe1d612d9c6.jpg

The kebabs and rice were her recipes.  I added the stir-fried snow peas.  The kebabs are pork tenderloin cubes marinated in soy, pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger and the rice is baked pineapple rice.  The pork was great.  The rice less so, but I think that was my fault.  It was overly sweet and gummy.  Instead of using water, as instructed, I used the leftover pineapple juice from the pork marinade.  Next time, I’ll use water and see if that helps.  I also think I probably cooked it too long.  I did it in the CSO and sometimes the timing is different than in the regular oven.  I did rinse the rice, but maybe I need to do it more than I did.

Last night Mr. Kim picked up meatball subs and slices and I made salads:

IMG_5610.thumb.jpg.88c3f4ae8dd8661cf2c28b4bdbe24a50.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg.ca55a44c153a393461f089e4d9e5936b.jpg

IMG_5609.thumb.jpg.49bcad68d038e22aaec83a209e0fa77d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Great info, thanks but I was referring to the papaya condiment, the relation to the name, if Mama is being teased or doing the teasing, etc.  

My apologies.

I have no idea what Mama's Tease is referring to. There is nothing in the Chinese with such a meaning.

But, every day I see products and stores with random English names. They think it is exotic. Just like all the westerners who ask me what their "Chinese" tattoos mean. They are seldom Chinese at all; just random characters or even random Japanese.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Just like all the westerners who ask me what their "Chinese" tattoos mean. They are seldom Chinese at all; just random characters or even random Japanese.

Soooo ... you mean there is a chance my tattoo doesn’t say “accomplished cook “ ?!

tumblr_mpsitqp2521r7tobyo1_400.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Do you know what it really means? If not, are you sure you want to?

My knowledge of Chinese is very limited compared to yours, but as a frequent business traveler I know a little bit of the associated terminology (purely theoretical, of course) 😉

Beer battered sea bass with chips and bits*.

20210416_193645.thumb.jpg.1be2a640f2404280ce8f5af5ec4bf3a8.jpg

* Scraps or batter bits are pieces of deep-fried batter left over in the fryer as a by-product of frying fish, and are served as an accompaniment to chips. They are traditionally served free of charge with chips by some fish and chip shops in the United Kingdom, although some places charge for the scraps.

Wikipedia

As a kid, I'd pick up a bag of bits on the way home from school. Never paid for them. Unheard of back then.

Anyway, today's were home made.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Nice looking salad @btbyrd You, too, @Kim Shook.  

Tea salad, salmon and noodles the other night

thumbnail_IMG_0752.jpg.39b07454b85901520594f4cdce52dc74.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0753.jpg.036af137ff7f4897eb728895e6df0a4a.jpg

And last night I finally made a Banh Mi that Ronnie liked.  Pork belly.  And my beloved shishito peppers :

thumbnail_IMG_0757.jpg.3992d32d7d44ab405dc5b824b3e5048a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0750.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 5

On 4/14/2021 at 8:44 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Looks wonderful! What's the base?

Thank you!  Tempeh (browned in sweet soy sauce first) for the protein, plus onion, peas, corn, mushrooms,thyme, pepper, garlic, and coriander.  Gravy was made with home-made veggie stock. Topping is just basic mashed potatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1