• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Rifling through the freezer yesterday (guess the inventory list never really got made), I came upon a couple of cubes of last summer's pesto. So...

IMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.f42828cd04705ff7d38392d1215aeab7.jpeg

Pasta al Pesto.  I always freeze pesto (when freezing it) without the cheese. Then, before plating, I mix the pasta in a bowl with the pesto, pasta water, and cheese, until it tastes good. A little sprinkle after plating can't hurt.

Brussels with bacon alongside.

Breaking all rules (many drink non-Chard white with pesto, to complement the herb)...

image.png.56c96492eb3bec92d2259ca3ca1d914e.png

At least it's northern Italian!

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lentil kielbasa stew - rice, tomato, spinach, smoked paprika, red wine, etc.  The smoke from the kielbasa and paprika made it very good.   Nicely paired w a J Vineyards Pinot gifted from the eg wine gods.

Lentilstew.thumb.jpg.aaad71b1d95aeb9c0cf41b9ff2960814.jpg

• Like 17

That wasn't chicken

Roasted acorn squash, sunchokes and garlic cloves. Lentils in butter with some wine, garlic, thyme, tarragon, pepper. Topping of toasted seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, poppy).

PXL_20210113_192928723.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I buy them live. Sometimes, they do jump out of the wok! But these ones were dead before I cooked them. When I cook them shell and head on, it can be fun in the kitchen catching the more energetic ones who object to being tossed into hot oil.

With their attempts at escape thwarted, I am not sure the shrimp think so!

😛

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, gfweb said:

I just saw these dishes somewhere.... @Kim Shook
?

Yep!  That would be me.  What I said on FB: Thanks to a gift from my dear, dear friend and a legacy from my adored Grandma Jean, I am the proud possessor of a LARGE set of Franciscan Desert Rose dinnerware. I ate every meal of my life from this pattern when I was in NC at my grandparents' farm - meaning every summer from age 5 to 15 plus other holiday and weekend visits. I have always loved them and wanted to be the one to set the table with them. Grandma Jean remembered and even put them in her will for me.  My friend somehow remembered all this and when he was paring down his kitchen, he set these aside for me and had them brought over.  Aren't they lovely? I even have soup plates (I have an obsessive love for soup plates and use them for everything)!  Nice to see someone shares my love for this pattern, @patti

@scamhi– the texture of your hanger steak looks so great.

@patti – arancini is one of my favorite things on Earth!  Did you make them or order them?  If made, would you share the recipe, please?

@Shelby – can’t do the wings hot, but other than that detail, I really want fries, salad, and wings tonight!

Jessica made that TikTok pasta on Sunday:

IMG_5570.jpg.f4285096e9e6818d2774991ebb8ead32.jpg

It was very good – all three of us liked it.  Served with a salad.

We have a plethora of cheeses – all three of us had independently overindulged at the Murray’s cheese counter and Jessica’s Easter basket had even more in it.  So, we did a cheese dinner:

IMG_5588.jpg.fb0b05b3c81a63d9c5b95315c23da45f.jpg

Cheddar, gorgonzola dolce, fromager d Affinois, goat cheese, aged Gouda, rosemary & olive oil asiago, and balsamic Bellavitano.

Fiorucci salami, mild sopressata (which I was thrilled to find at Publix – no one ever seems to have the mild.  Now, if I could just find mild capicola), crackers, and a sliced baguette:

IMG_5589.jpg.77fe2ba307f09f6a63662832aef98503.jpg

@CantCookStillTry – do you see my enameled bread bowl?  You started me on a beginning addiction.  I’ve got more pieces on my Amazon wishlist!

Mixed greens and arugula salad with blueberries and candied pecans:

IMG_5587.jpg.aa97345b99d986889802a5f944f64e04.jpg

Jessica’s Honey-Poppyseed and Creamy Caesar dressings on the side.

Jessica set out the accompaniments:

IMG_5593.jpg.7ff5de89b961221d083732250a006579.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg.aecf4195f23d8acfc0c6f6f18f5a1445.jpg

Tres elegant 😄!  I promise you she wasn't raised like that.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

TikTok pasta

I'm trying not to look at the skins

😁

Yeah, I LOVE that bread bowl....I don't need any bowls...I don't need any bowls....I don't need any bowls

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😁

Yeah, I LOVE that bread bowl....I don't need any bowls...I don't need any bowls....I don't need any bowls

I KNOW!  I was surreptitiously moving them aside when I encountered a "loose" one!  LOLOLOLOL 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not the slightest idea what this is but it sounds good.

heh, thank you!  Saag is basically an Indian curry that focuses on greens as the primary ingredient. Kabocha is a type of squash. So, the basis of this is a curry made with greens (spinach in this case,which would also make it a Palak) and roasted kabocha squash 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Possibly our favorite grape to drink. I'd say lemon, stone, herby, nice and juicy, it makes your mouth water! 

For the "cellar" (okay, I don't have a cellar; for the apartment) I order from Chambers St. Wines. They have a pretty nice selection of rieslings. All natural /organic blah blah stuff.

Do you order from D'artagnan at all?  Their Rohan duck is great for roasting, and they sell the other 3 popular breeds.

The legs I get from Moulards come from Hudson Valley.

Awesome.  I do love Riesling - that washed stone screaming fresh minerality, gentle attack and balance of acid and residual sugar...absolutely love good Riesling, just haven’t had enough to be able to sort through the German system (a note, generally not a fan of Alsatian wines - significantly prefer Mosel Rieslings).

My wife worked for Odessa Piper, when she still owned L’Etoile.  It was her husband Terry Thiese who really got me turned on to Riesling, in no small measure through his book.  His reverence for the purity of expression found in good Riesling rang my bell, and I was off to the races.  (Didn’t hurt he gives his red wine nod to pinot for the same reason.  We can’t be friends if we don’t agree, pinot is Gaia’s sacramental gift to the Great Mother and her consort the Green Horned One.  Ahem, yes, once upon a time, I was a pagan of the NE Shakespearean woods and lakes.  Pinot is holy).

D’Artagnan, yes, agreed, Rohan is fantastic!  Sold me and we’ll be regularly returning to it.  Their Heritage Green Circle Chicken, too, and squab.

One bummer about no longer being in the biz (god help me if I were - I feel I’ve no history, chops, nothing at all; like it never was), is the lack of access to farmers and ranchers.  I worked with Christian Gasset of Au Bon Canard in MN and bought dozens of whole moulards constantly, were swimming in gallons of rendered golden deliciousness we used just about everywhere.  I wrote to him awhile back and his business has exploded since his early years, which is when I worked with him.  No more whole moulards available, all committed out.  Bummer, but really, really happy for him.  Helluva nice guy.

I like Hudson too, great duck and great people to work with!

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 4

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I stopped in at the Pickle Guys yesterday, for only the 2nd time in a year.

Dinner last night was a roasted duck leg, RG beans, rice, and these vegetables...

IMG_3917.thumb.jpeg.d28235e68bcd159927c1763851ec7efd.jpeg

IMG_3916.thumb.jpeg.fe738090389bd9c887b45231d48a5dbd.jpeg

Half sours and pickled turnips.

A bissel more about the pickle guys...

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Braised chicken legs with fresh shiitake 'flower' mushrooms - 花菇 (huā gū), garlic (lots), wine, pepper (lots). Papaya in soy sauce, garlic, chilli, sugar, 白酒 (bái jiǔ) Chinese sorghum spirit, and spices (store bought - see image). Served with orzo and a side of wilted spinach.

20210414_195628.thumb.jpg.010b5cfe0bc221234d8dd1a526b4482f.jpg

20210414_191924.thumb.jpg.786f091e9480e52ff1b8bfbd1e374378.jpg

'Flower' shiitake mushrooms.

767674231_spicypapaya.thumb.jpg.c1a4715e9ffdb5d9da87269b8442a35f.jpg

Papaya Shreds

20210414_192624.thumb.jpg.f37ac093692797cf07dd96a98510c5ec.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Kim ShookI made them from leftover risotto and I watched a Bon Appetit video to see the process. I’d made them once before and they were a complete failure. These were good! Molly Baz making arancini.

I made a super easy soup with store bought cheese tortellini, Italian sausage, spinach and mushrooms. The recipe called for kale, but I like spinach better. Anyway, super easy and flavorful!

95D450C4-8DEB-4EBB-80BF-332A169503E3.jpeg.3283c2f50b4ed13ce3f9906831cb4983.jpeg

E7080EAC-6AC1-4EB9-8B8C-ACF36025A9E7.jpeg.1ec846fbf694d3322f30a43276ef9749.jpeg

And a couple of days ago, my husband’s favorite comfort food. Pot roast, rice and gravy, baby limas, pickled beets (not homemade), sliced cucumbers. 

DB3EFE0C-3A70-4BB3-B80A-44F6767FA2DB.jpeg.8d9675298bb578343ea219e23e2806dd.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I stopped in at the Pickle Guys yesterday, for only the 2nd time in a year.

Dinner last night was a roasted duck leg, RG beans, rice, and these vegetables...

IMG_3917.thumb.jpeg.d28235e68bcd159927c1763851ec7efd.jpeg

IMG_3916.thumb.jpeg.fe738090389bd9c887b45231d48a5dbd.jpeg

Half sours and pickled turnips.

A bissel more about the pickle guys...

Thanks for this history.    I remember my first solo food-oriented visit to NYC in the late '80s.   I especially remember going to Guss' Pickles (the red barrels in front) and Grand Dairy Restaurant where I ordered blintzes.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Well ... one corned cow‘s tongue makes a looooot of sandwiches 🤗

F3EF1DFC-C3D8-4E66-AD6B-98FFA490ABFD.thumb.jpeg.dfd8e8f0bc06034885654d2b487eca52.jpeg

you've obviously never been to a NYC kosher deli... ;)  You have to be a boa constrictor to be able to open your mouth wide enough to take the first bite. There's like half a tongue on a each sandwich...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3