• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Franci the tuna is beautiful.  May I ask how you cook your tuna, and how much you cook it?  When I grill tuna it is usually more rare than I enjoy, or else unappetizing and dried out.  Sometimes both.

Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker. For my experience, the cooking it’s important but not as much as people think. It’s the tuna that makes the difference. This was freshly caught, more often we get the black fin than yellow fin because it’s more common...huge difference. And I’ve cooked my share of previously frozen tuna from supermarket...for some, no matter how careful I was with the cooking the result was mediocre. Some were better than others, you realize when you defrost 3 pieces and cook exactly at the same time and depending on the where in the fillet the particular piece come from or just comes from a different fish and the result is quite different. This yellow fin, I might give different cooking times to some  of the steaks, to make everyone happy at the table but still comes out juicy and not dry even when not super rare. So, my advice is look for a place where you consistently had better results. Frozen fish from Costco in my experience always better the Wholefoods for example. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What is Marco Polo Pasta? Even Mr. Google isn't being helpful.

For us here in my Omaha  Community  ( My Italian group )  called Marco Polo.  Steak ( Filet ) and mushroom over pasta.. not sure its.. a definitive classification.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

Made several care packages for a friend whose 13 year old just had open-heart surgery. Just made up 2 of her favourites: Wonton soup and Cantonese Chow Mien. Both items were big sellers in my restaurant days. I left out the broth so she can freeze a couple containers. I also sent 2 cartons of chicken broth.

895080676_BeefChowMien3741.jpg.eae148a363392f9e8a02037f6c8f8452.jpg

1510431907_Wontons2ways3742.jpg.3d1d813c44772b69431d6591129cd922.jpg

Had planned for us to have the same for our supper but felt something different would be more appealing!  Beef and Broccoli

768869235_BeefBroccoli3746.jpg.b818abc942501b8a082bafbceed4e56b.jpg

And Spicy Crispy Ginger Beef                                                  486430185_GingerBeef3744.jpg.19a4db969b761f11bf0f2762638a2f98.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

By popular request (from both our little one and his grandparents):

14FD1D8B-B0D4-4361-9609-1281EBD33077.thumb.jpeg.cf4374ecf5fba33a6c1ec2c40ee35cca.jpeg

(Marcella Hazan‘s) Ragù alla Bolognese with maccheroni ! Plus a pinot gris ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

8 hours ago, TicTac said:

That tuna looks perfect.

Kind of made me sad that you cooked it.  But that's just me 😛

my husband too...and it’s psychological, because if you cook just the outside doesn’t help, but after pulling a couple very long worms (from other fishes) I got a little squeamish. If we decide to redo the kitchen in a couple years, I am considering a blast chiller just for that

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Franci said:

my husband too...and it’s psychological, because if you cook just the outside doesn’t help, but after pulling a couple very long worms (from other fishes) I got a little squeamish. If we decide to redo the kitchen in a couple years, I am considering a blast chiller just for that

Blast chillers are nice in the living room.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Objective Foodie said:

Hehe! It was a real treat after months in lockdown in the UK.

Glad to see that you could enjoy a day out in NYC! And that Bründlmayer is delicious

Also great that it's one of those dishes that doesn't necessarily suffer from taking it home and reheating it; some might think it even gets better.

Cafe Katja's wine list has some hidden gems; you just need to ask for the separate list. As a matter of fact, pre and (hopefully) post-pandemic, the wine tasting dinners are fun to attend, tasting wines we don't really see much of here. And there's always more than enough food.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

While I was at the store, Charlie called and suggested steak for dinner.  I picked out a T-Bone because it was the cheapest of the good steaks and one was big enough for both of is.  I should have asked why Porterhouse steaks were a dollar a pound more.  They are both from the same part of the cow.  Porterhouse is the same as a T-bone only bigger. It will cost more because it's bigger. It should not cost more because of its name. 

Charlie had Mac N Cheese with his. I had some corn and baked potato. I also had a small piece of Stilton cheese.

20210412_183840.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

5A9439C2-C562-4F5D-BA4C-27BB6F9E9095.thumb.jpeg.3e345e8656dee29e7c74cd3f73c999e0.jpeg

Seafood dinner - folks requested sea bass fillets so I kept the head and bones (if you get em crunchy enough you can it all of it!).  Seared dry scallops and aged balsamic.

7BB07F46-2FFB-4A59-A0AB-85026562EF7F.thumb.jpeg.5ce55af552e71fa6559394cdfe15d8c7.jpeg

Live Manila clams were too hard to pass up.  A little glutinous but who cares!  Leftover clams are a good thing.    

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

@Paul Bacino, I for one am happy it posted again, because I missed it the first time.

I finally received my ooni 14" perforated peel that I ordered back in November.  It had been on back order.

Need to make pizza this week in the Ooni.

I made Wonton soup using frozen wontons from Costco. Not something I would normally buy, but they were Chicken Cilantro Wontons.

They are actually not bad.
Homemade chicken broth, garlic, ginger, broccoli, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage (Napa) and Bok choy. Sesame oil and the green from green onions.

Wonton Soup April 12th, 2021.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Been on a bit of a take-out binge lately. Maybe all this cooking is finally getting to me.

But - and this is huge - I got Significant Eater to come out and have dinner (properly distanced, outside, etc. etc.) on Saturday night after our passeggiata. So for the first time in well over a year, dinner at Cafe Katja.

IMG_3900.thumb.jpeg.2baa81ecb6f14d19f4e83ddc52badb40.jpeg

The standard pretzel with butter and liptauer. Our other app is the new chicken soup, with noodles made from a crepe batter, which I need to find out a bit more about (@Duvel?).  Followed by a burger for my wife (that's what she was jonesing for) and fried chicken, mashed potatoes and slaw for me. 

image.thumb.png.eda67d04e420a0c83bdae7919f2ad77c.png

Accompanied by the above.

Yumm.

Riesling hunter.  I didn’t say a good one.  French vocabulary is decent but I am mad for good Riesling.  Descriptors?

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Really beautiful cook on the duck there, @paul o' vendange. Not too rare on the breast, the way it should be.  How'd the legs come out with the breast at that temp?

Now you're just teasing. What I would give for a cassoulet from St. John.

Thanks Weinoo!  I’d have preferred just a hair less but I’m happy, my wife and child mawed and Murph the mutt was extremely surly he didn’t get but a tiny bit.  All good signs.

I sectioned off both the legs and breasts off at the same time after just a 20 minute par-roast and then decided to change up and make an integral sauce (rather than just a pan jus), so....yeah, I do that.  👩‍🍳🤗

Finishing up the legs were good, but too tough, not badly.  I always prefer braising them.  Man, wish I could get whole moulard!

FWIW, I love D’Artagnan.

• Like 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

It's been snowing since mid-morning, and in the next 2 days, we are expecting 10 cm! Good thing it's mild temps and the snow will melt soon.
Pulled a single rib prime roast  from the freezer and tossed it into the pot for sous vide. A quick sear while the Yorkies and sweet tater were baking and veg steamed, and supper was ready!

15919142_PrimeRib3758.jpg.ac3cfd7b2fd4efcb3a34d1944135819e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Another APO duck leg.  You know what they look like.  So good.  Served with beans.  More beans.

For posterity, tonight's settings were fourth shelf, 250C, rear and top elements, 40 percent steam.  Cooking time 14 minutes.  Lots of lovely duck fat.  I preferred the moderate steam to last time's no steam, as good as last time's roast duck was.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

Riesling hunter.  I didn’t say a good one.  French vocabulary is decent but I am mad for good Riesling.  Descriptors?

Possibly our favorite grape to drink. I'd say lemon, stone, herby, nice and juicy, it makes your mouth water! 

For the "cellar" (okay, I don't have a cellar; for the apartment) I order from Chambers St. Wines. They have a pretty nice selection of rieslings. All natural /organic blah blah stuff.

9 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

Thanks Weinoo!  I’d have preferred just a hair less but I’m happy, my wife and child mawed and Murph the mutt was extremely surly he didn’t get but a tiny bit.  All good signs.

I sectioned off both the legs and breasts off at the same time after just a 20 minute par-roast and then decided to change up and make an integral sauce (rather than just a pan jus), so....yeah, I do that.  👩‍🍳🤗

Finishing up the legs were good, but too tough, not badly.  I always prefer braising them.  Man, wish I could get whole moulard!

FWIW, I love D’Artagnan.

Do you order from D'artagnan at all?  Their Rohan duck is great for roasting, and they sell the other 3 popular breeds.

The legs I get from Moulards come from Hudson Valley.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@liuzhouYour shrimp are always so fresh...they just jump out of the water on to your plate!

@TicTacI want clams.

Fries, hot wings and salad night before last

thumbnail_IMG_0745.jpg.8202ed95757cb387a48c21cc153bcbc6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0746.jpg.519523508cf43917e655d5df2d392e0e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0747.jpg.ee9ba965d3fdd0b826bbf4b64f0cf265.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg.2b58fcaa4dd7e21a41b1a08697f9348d.jpg

It was chilly yesterday and we had to run into the big city TWICE so I prepped a lamb stew in-between trips and then threw it in the IP when we finally got home.

thumbnail_IMG_0749.jpg.21cffd708593b626b93f8c224d6c903c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Your shrimp are always so fresh...they just jump out of the water on to your plate!

I buy them live. Sometimes, they do jump out of the wok! But these ones were dead before I cooked them. When I cook them shell and head on, it can be fun in the kitchen catching the more energetic ones who object to being tossed into hot oil.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto