• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Roast Muscovy (really enjoyed simple stuffing after Jacques Maximin), kale tossed with the liver rose as tapenade and sherry vinegar, fresh pappardelle. Integral sauce.  Spanish garnacha.

BF845B02-A1D9-4861-BE10-82721C6FFE82.jpeg

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 5

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Sort of a tonkatsu-style breaded pork tenderloin with 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - violet napa cabbage and 黑皮鸡枞菌 (hēi pí jī cōng jùn) - 'black skin chicken fir mushroom', Oudemansiella raphanipes and Tonkatsu sauce. No points for authenticity, but it was tasty.

Tonkatsu.thumb.jpg.0d1b58a6a8e9a71b1da881f7701aafc4.jpg

1018296190_tonkatsusauce2.thumb.jpg.ea4f7a78750971d5d7e44f1aaadc8230.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Weather was balmy but will be expecting 10-20 cm of snow come tomorrow and Tuesday!  Hooked the Big Easy up to the propane tank, and cooked a chicken for supper.

I seasoned the bird and tucked in Thai lime leaves and bits of butter under the skin. Cooked for 1 hour 15 minutes.

319832632_BigEasyChicken3732.jpg.29ac4b509870c7d0d71c896a6cf87f21.jpg

Made gravy from the drippings, boiled carrots and fingerling taters.

1730662728_BigEasyChicken3735.jpg.22f1af7fd246732ddc229c950f52ddfa.jpg

Skin was lovely, but I didn't indulge...except for a small piece.😏

1724322828_BigEasyChicken3737.jpg.1116cb183c0d04bd1bebd7bd324888b2.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Monkfish (tail) in cream with crisp-fried Speck. Bread dumplings and steamed kale.

XT7a1Vi.jpg

Duck leggs with boozy orange sauce (I used Aberlour 12).

ZJWSwUM.jpg

So good I forgot it's supposed to be alcohol-free

5dEr37q.jpg

Spring has been cancelled. We had crazy weather from hell this week, night and day for 3 full days.

XEWkHDJ.jpg

My poor chives (3 pots). They are my hero herb. Only bloody black aphids can kill them. Happy to say my chives are thriving again now that the snow is gone. Hope my old bay laurel plant (in photo above) can make it through this spring.

VR1K5bR.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

10 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Monkfish (tail) in cream with crisp-fried Speck. Bread dumplings and steamed kale.

XT7a1Vi.jpg

Duck leggs with boozy orange sauce (I used Aberlour 12).

So good I forgot it's supposed to be alcohol-free

5dEr37q.jpg

Spring has been cancelled. We had crazy weather from hell this week, night and day for 3 full days.

Oh your monk tail - it has been too long. Intrigued by the no alcohol beer as others in Germany also mention. In US we think that would not be a thing there. Can you comment. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I just saw these dishes somewhere.... @Kim Shook
?

Desert Rose is a very popular pattern. It was first made in 1942 by Franciscan Ware and I think it’s still being made, although maybe not the same company. I bought it second hand. 

• Like 4

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Yellowfin tuna 

7A14CD99-0398-42ED-8CE3-397BF0147802.jpeg

1138F18D-DEF5-4D8E-9851-DE5CC56DF8F5.jpeg

A6FE399E-ABC9-425D-B9B4-C44A4BCEE317.jpeg

@Franci the tuna is beautiful.  May I ask how you cook your tuna, and how much you cook it?  When I grill tuna it is usually more rare than I enjoy, or else unappetizing and dried out.  Sometimes both.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/10/2021 at 11:46 PM, paul o' vendange said:

Roast Muscovy (really enjoyed simple stuffing after Jacques Maximin), kale tossed with the liver rose as tapenade and sherry vinegar, fresh pappardelle. Integral sauce.  Spanish garnacha.

BF845B02-A1D9-4861-BE10-82721C6FFE82.jpeg

Really beautiful cook on the duck there, @paul o' vendange. Not too rare on the breast, the way it should be.  How'd the legs come out with the breast at that temp?

21 hours ago, Objective Foodie said:

Cassoulet from St John in London and a bold oaky garnacha.

1673241068_IMG_00842.thumb.jpg.4283ab9c81909b4475d744825ac12874.jpg

Now you're just teasing. What I would give for a cassoulet from St. John.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Been on a bit of a take-out binge lately. Maybe all this cooking is finally getting to me.

But - and this is huge - I got Significant Eater to come out and have dinner (properly distanced, outside, etc. etc.) on Saturday night after our passeggiata. So for the first time in well over a year, dinner at Cafe Katja.

IMG_3900.thumb.jpeg.2baa81ecb6f14d19f4e83ddc52badb40.jpeg

The standard pretzel with butter and liptauer. Our other app is the new chicken soup, with noodles made from a crepe batter, which I need to find out a bit more about (@Duvel?).  Followed by a burger for my wife (that's what she was jonesing for) and fried chicken, mashed potatoes and slaw for me. 

image.thumb.png.eda67d04e420a0c83bdae7919f2ad77c.png

Accompanied by the above.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Our other app is the new chicken soup, with noodles made from a crepe batter, which I need to find out a bit more about (@Duvel?).

I think you had Flädlesuppe ...

We usually eat it in beef broth, but a strong chicken soup should be equally delicious. You can find the proportions for the dough here (German), and for making crepes out of that you are already more than qualified 😉

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

We usually eat it in beef broth, but a strong chicken soup should be equally delicious. You can find the proportions for the dough here (German), and for making crepes out of that you are already more than qualified 😉

Yes!! On the menu, it's...

FRITTATENSUPPE     chicken consomme', crepe noodles

Awesome - thanks!

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I looked at their menu, "Frittatensuppe". Frittaten are thicker than Flädle and often sliced in straight strips. Austrians and Swabians make a clear distinction between the two.

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh your monk tail - it has been too long. Intrigued by the no alcohol beer as others in Germany also mention. In US we think that would not be a thing there. Can you comment. 

Non alcoholic beers have been around all this time but the selection has got much bigger in recent years.

Many years ago I had a bad dreams about non alcoholic beers so I decided to buy a bunch to check them out. Half of them were rubbish. Much has improved now in the taste department. Nowadays almost all mass produced brands have at least one alcohol-free beer and lots of craft breweries do the same.

• Like 4