• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Dinner04082021.png

APO roast duck.  One of the finest things I have eaten.  Served with David Libovitz’s haricots tarbais and good bread.  Beans were merely OK.  Duck was exceptional.

I spilled the duck fat on the floor.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/8/2021 at 7:12 PM, gfweb said:

@liuzhou your bok choy isn't our bok choy

I know, but I use the names and definitions used in China, not America. Seems reasonable.

There are many different types of 白菜 bok choy / pak choi. It just means 'white vegetable' or 'cabbage'. 'Bok choy' is Cantonese; in Mandarin it's 白菜 (bái cài). For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'm using Mandarin.

In 2016, a purple variety of napa cabbage was bred in Korea and introduced to China as 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - literally 'violet cabbage'. That's what I had.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Hand-pulled supermarket roast rabbit with a dry spice dip. Served with stir-fried purple bok choy (napa cabbage).

Boggles my mind that you could get a supermarket rabbit the way we buy rotisserie chicken. Are they routinely available?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

@Anna N

P.S.  I also get rotisserie chicken, duck, fish and more, including bits of animals I never knew existed! I should take some pictures of the roasting station. Soon.

I resisted asking out of fear of going off topic. But in the future if you should start a new topic about what is available I will be following it with great interest. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got another rainbow trout today. Unfortunately, my filleting skills are ... somewhat rudimentary. Which is still a euphemism. Soooo ... I made fishcakes 🤗

1181B19E-7E2D-4835-8493-B1EF641F96DF.thumb.jpeg.0173b482846fcd4c6a4e964fd10dda8b.jpeg

Served with Swabian potato salad, (commercial) remoulade and a quick cucumber salad. And a Bavarian “Helles” !

• Like 13

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

@Anna N

P.S.  I also get rotisserie chicken, duck, fish and more, including bits of animals I never knew existed! I should take some pictures of the roasting station. Soon.

Bats?

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

IMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.3e1b79ad92cbdd525f43f2d0538d69cb.jpeg

Made these beautiful duck legs for dinner last night. (Bonus is the 300 ml of duck fat). They were cooked for 2+ hours in the steam girl, at 275℉. I didn't blast them to finish, as we were too full from lunch to enjoy them, so only had the sides.

Which were knishes from Katz's and sautéed asparagus.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 4/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, Paul Bacino said:

Thought I would experiment with alternative Noodle ideas!!

So I took the KingMushroom--Sliced to noodles/ simmer in pan with garlic/ added white wine reduced/ added Beyond Bouillon veg stock reduced

51100986517_24a4e2ff4d_z.jpg

My Version of a Marco Polo Pasta--usually i use mushroom and steak

51101349674_0bd25ebbca_z.jpg

Finish with left over sugo!!  Actually the texture was quite meaty

Great idea.  They are absolutely a meaty texture.  I have done something similar (creating a meat substitution) pan frying with onions and finished with a BBQ sauce to create faux pulled pork on a bun.

• Like 1

Another dish using Spot Prawns from Vancouver Island's Walcan Seafood. 

1996420891_MexicanstyleGrilledPrawnCocktailApril8th20212.thumb.jpg.2721857a939a5deadf5e46f5d119e1cb.jpg

I made a Mexican Style Prawn Cocktail for Moe tonight.
A kind of gazpacho with small cubes of cucumber, green pepper, jalapeno, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, cilantro,
avocado, a splash of clamato juice, salt, pepper and fresh squeezed lime juice.
Spot prawns marinated for about 15 minutes in minced garlic, hot red pepper flakes,
olive oil and fresh squeezed lime juice and salt. Cooked on a cast iron grill pan.
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 3

On 4/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That is a gorgeous photograph.  About how much did the piece weigh before cooking?

it was 4lbs.  just the perfect size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Objective Foodie said:

First morel mushrooms of the season. A classic French Vin Jaune sauce with chicken and crêpes parmentières.

Great sauce! Although I've never seen it cooked separately from the chicken 🤔

IMG_20210409_193029066.thumb.jpg.a2a93e6b70639fd17b0bdb62084ba32e.jpg

My third run at a potato pie, this time more of a pithiviers. Next time I'll mould the filling before covering with pastry, the result here is a bit squat and lumpy for me...

• Like 14

Today I got my 1st Covid-19 Vaccine, and last week I received a 2009 Stone Edge Farms Cab.  So why not celebrate and try a aged wine.

So that means American Wagyu ribeye with some asparagus and fried potatoes.  And some nice salt for the steak.

20210409_184347.thumb.jpg.93fdfa8a5c44275ecef5bac00b076107.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1