• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

@Kim Shook- Thanks! I hope you have a chance to have your shrimp and grits soon.

Chicken livers with pomegranate syrup, potatoes, and peas. My husband eats two out of three of these, so he made a hamburger steak for himself. 

48B89D2B-5F37-4D19-B7A5-6DFC7BB54D68.thumb.jpeg.bc9aa18325ba2aba9ee25f5219246eee.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

9 hours ago, Shelby said:

Venison spaghetti red and salad

thumbnail_IMG_0680.jpg.b75018395fca0457f0417d6ca869be32.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0679.jpg.87e8bd562802af825db69fff39bc3ae5.jpg

And after reading about @Kim Shook's lemoncello, I had to make lemon posset with blackberries

thumbnail_IMG_0681.jpg.7469c17b7a7ceb55899015e78214a31b.jpg

Last night was salmon, pasta and asparagus

thumbnail_IMG_0682.jpg.1bc0483ccc9ca4dcb583fced0bafaa84.jpg

One of Ronnie's daughters brought several containers of strawberries over for us.  Someone came to a place she works and was selling them.  I'm not sure where they are from but they are good.  Was going to make angel food cake, but couldn't find my cake pan so I made shortcakes instead.

thumbnail_IMG_0683.jpg.e128fd052dbde8342dc66757182b66fc.jpg

Oh my! Strawberry shortcake! And I’ve never heard of lemon posset, but it looks very tempting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – once again, you have me craving fish and chips!

@patti – shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes in the entire world and yours looks fantastic.  I’ve just added it to my menus document!

@weinoo – I’ve never had brandade and I need to fix that.  I love anything that is in that creamy fish realm. 

@liuzhou – gorgeous chips!!!

@Duvel – that burrata is positively alluring.  I just told Mr. Kim that when the tomatoes come in this summer, we are finding burrata and a good baguette and we’ll feast on just THAT for dinner.

@mgaretz – I love the dark, glossiness of the sauce on your beef stew.

@Shelby – I’ve gotta try that lemon posset!

Everyone’s corned beef looks so good!  (Not to mention the lovely Ruebens.)   I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never made it.   It's been so long since I've posted in the Dinner thread that I'm taking up a lot of space here.

Last Wednesday was just a pickup dinner as I had to start fasting at 7pm for some bloodwork on Thursday:

IMG_5305.jpg.67686febeb3f03b00c86e54b932c4c20.jpg

Locally produced and canned Brunswick stew.  It is surprisingly good – a touch of Worcestershire and BBQ sauce and it is as good as lots of homemade (not mine).

Thursday night was from one of our favorite Greek/Italian places:

IMG_5308.jpg.442447ad70a31e3b6a29fb3849e08802.jpg

Chicken Alfredo for me and Chef Michael’s for Mr. Kim (basically all the meats).

I’ve been craving cheeseburgers and fries for a few weeks.  I decided to give @Ann_T's CSO “fries” a try on Friday.  After the halfway mark turn - soaked and tossed with a little olive oil and salt before putting in the CSO:

IMG_5314.thumb.jpg.ec1dee761417981b0154da4a2c62ec72.jpg

Done and served with the burgers:

IMG_5318.jpg.5c6173aa2b8c1267e03fd301452802f8.jpg

They were really great and no harder or more complicated than other baked “fries”.  And certainly easier to clean up from than deep fried potatoes.  My burgers were less successful.  While they tasted great, they really fell apart:

IMG_5316.thumb.jpg.e1c546456bcd20e0a50defb6590f1bb6.jpg

I like a really thin, crusty patty.  I press the meat together (I try not to overwork) and don’t season until they are frying in butter (or ghee) in the iron skillet.  Then, it’s just salt and pepper and Worcestershire.  I realize my pan was not hot enough, but I don’t think that is why they tend to fall apart.   This happens a lot when I make burgers.  I’m wondering about just switching over to pre-made patties.   I kinda overdid the buns:

IMG_5313.jpg.0daaa189e9fe95d4ccfb349e026f673c.jpg

Not burnt, though.  Very buttery and crunchy.  Served with a salad also:

IMG_5315.jpg.8731d2c5596753cf663febede0b4c296.jpg

With blackberry/goat cheese vinaigrette.

Sunday was quick and easy – prepared veal cutlets from Publix with Rao’s sauce and pasta:

IMG_5373.jpg.e0778f52e295feeb187cf65b5a6b1c3d.jpg

Served with a salad and some Momma-style garlic bread:

IMG_5372.jpg.ef68643996d200b04a3b849793c77514.jpg

IMG_5374.thumb.jpg.4235c22ba466d3313b4b6be8f85cf716.jpg

That would be leftover hamburger buns, buttered and sprinkled with garlic granules.  I’m guessing growing up, we had this to accompany spaghetti more often than garlic toast made with crusty bread😉

Monday’s dinner was a bit disappointing:

IMG_5379.jpg.e3d642bcdb564898dba6b9c2e1a835c8.jpg

Sweet potatoes, shredded sautéed Brussels sprouts, and miso glazed salmon.  The salmon was the disappointment – partly my fault and partly not.  The glaze tasted good (miso, brown sugar, sake – I also marinated a few minutes in soy sauce) but was MUCH too thick.  Instead of a glaze, it was more of a goo.  The part that I think wasn’t my fault is that it was mushy.  I don’t think that it was underdone or overdone.  Not sure what the problem is.  I’ll give Publix another chance, but no more than that.

Tuesday night Mr. Kim requested tuna salad sandwiches and tomato-beef consommé for dinner:

IMG_5382.jpg.ccf7287ed7a7f54b11aae1c1fdba2f8f.jpg

I also made some egg salad.

IMG_5384.jpg.7c7971d038bb286c5452e145852519a9.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg.6d226d95aa9057df6347dd26de5ec0ed.jpg

This soup is an incredibly easy cheat – just V8 and canned consommé with some aromatics.  It simmers for about 20 minutes.  And that’s it.  We all love it.  It makes for a great weeknight meal, but I’ve also served it to company. 

Last night Jessica brought dinner from one of her favorite places, Tazza Kitchen:

IMG_5397.thumb.jpg.db534f45a8ec41b2644398a110fe8217.jpg

Spicy sausage with aged provolone, fresh mozz and a black pepper honey drizzle.

IMG_5398.jpg.958c0a90ed1ef496d95be6851fb69749.jpg

Prosciutto and arugula with fresh mozz and grana Padano.

IMG_5399.jpg.c3bb2087d9238c77ba14b8bc82e6c7e1.jpg

White pizza with bechamel, Parm, fresh mozz, caramelized onions, and bacon.  All good and not too spicy for me.

Try Kenji smash burgers.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/08/how-to-make-wursthall-smashburger.html

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, heidih said:

Z noodles  are not my choice but the squash in lovely state and cost had been at market lately. I pre nuke  - save liquid - sauces, broths. Curious have you done the meatballs w/ gelatin> opinion?

Z noodles aren't really my choice either, but they do serve to lighten up what could otherwise be a quite heavy meal. Pre-nuking is a great idea; I usually pre-salt, drain, and then barely cook them in a very hot pan. I forgot the pre-salt this time, and they got more-than-barely-cooked while I lollygagged cutting herbs. Oh well. I have not tried the gelatin option on the meatballs, as that apparently interferes with browning and browning is a priority. And in this zoodily case, I'm glad I didn't include the gelled broth, as that would have exacerbated my already soupy situation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Monday’s dinner was a bit disappointing:

Sweet potatoes, shredded sautéed Brussels sprouts, and miso glazed salmon.  The salmon was the disappointment – partly my fault and partly not.  The glaze tasted good (miso, brown sugar, sake – I also marinated a few minutes in soy sauce) but was MUCH too thick.  Instead of a glaze, it was more of a goo.  The part that I think wasn’t my fault is that it was mushy.  I don’t think that it was underdone or overdone.  Not sure what the problem is.  I’ll give Publix another chance, but no more than that.

It works best if you scrape most of the miso marinade off of the fish before broiling.  The flavors will come through without being goopy.

Last night, we had a grilled chicken salad over mesculin greens and pea shoots, with pecans, blueberries, pickled onions and boursin cheese in a blueberry vinaigrette, with grilled ciabatta

1477626138_chickensalad.thumb.jpg.29bbc2056496364340a91b73b0431a64.jpg

Wine pairing

IMG_8133.thumb.jpg.ddff93f8b7693243b1e4b49d003b1c83.jpg

And despite what the menu board says, we are not having buddha bowls for dinner tonight as husband fiercely objected to my choice at dinner last night haha.  I will think of something else I am sure...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Seeing @Ann_T halibut and knowing that $4.99 / 100 g was the common price, I grabbed some fillets today as they are "on sale" at Sobeys.

Pan-seared in butter and olive oil with lemon slices. Made a sauce with more butter, white wine, lemon juice, capers.  Easy supper with store bought Cavendish tater wedges and peas.

585612849_Halibut3643.jpg.932a8836f9b65d4e0f5f54951de15da4.jpg

Might pick up some halibut steaks and make a recipe for "stew" with saffron. Have to have halibut when it's in season. New shipment of Manitoba Lake Winnipeg baby pickerel coming next week. I also ordered some pickerel cheeks. Didn't ask price...

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Bacon wrapped cheese stuffed chicken, from Costco frozen section. Better than I expected, although I had to bake it longer than the directions said to. Didn’t get dry, and it’s tender. Decent, but not fabulous. Great for a night when I didn’t feel like making much effort. Beet and goat cheese salad with toasted pecans and balsamic vinaigrette. 

BAC613D6-941E-4517-8B9A-4D8D4BE8BF1B.jpeg.5dbfeb4472e1e42309ba842ccc137a44.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

@patti – wow, those chicken livers look so good.  No one around here eats them but me, so I almost never cook them.  But I’d love to have those.  I will check our Costco to see if they have that stuffed chicken breast.  I use frozen Kiev for the same thing you were mentioning – having something easy and tasty with no huge expectations for those nights when you need good, dependable food without a ton of effort!

@JoNorvelleWalker – thanks!  That’s actually kinda what I do.  Except I flatten in my hands slightly rather than putting balls of ground beef in.  Also, I wonder if the temperature of the beef matters?  Mine is usually refrigerator temp when I put it in the pan.

@mgaretz – Thank you!  I use Gravy Master – would that be the same as your caramel coloring?  And, as far as cornstarch goes – is that a last-minute addition?

@liamsaunt – yes, I somehow missed that step🤪.  I’m determined to get it right, so I’ll be trying that again soon!

@Shelby – great looking turkey sandwiches.  Mr. Kim was making “time to smoke some butts” noises this morning.  I think I’ll sneak in a turkey breast for him to do at the same time. 

Last night was very much the kind of meal I mentioned to @patti just now.  Grocery store prepared foods of a fairly high quality.  Easy, tasty and dependable:

IMG_5415.jpg.e16a59f9050222b88e587e35058e915c.jpg

Chicken cutlets, sprouts, Duchess potatoes with some really good cheat gravy.  I made the sprouts and they were especially good – sliced in half and cooked potsticker-fashion – sauté pan with oil and a little water in it.  Cooked from cold over med-high heat with a lid on the pan.  When almost tender, the lid is removed and any leftover water poured off, then they are sauteed until they get that great color. 

Served with Ukrops (local business – went from being a beloved grocery store to being a beloved food purveyor and food hall - same suppliers of the potatoes above) strawberry and cream congealed salad and cornmeal rolls:

IMG_5417.jpg.3fe43e0105dcb32c2b5555a8009716f7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

@Kim Shook for a smash burger effect you have to smash the patty in the pan.  I don't think it matters at all if the meat is cold or at room temperature.  And now you have me wanting one.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, scamhi said:

red curry (mae ploy), onion, garlic, ground pork, cabbage and cilantro. all cooked in butter.

With a delicious riesling

You rebel

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Those both look so good! Did you make them? And if so, would you share some recipes?

You've caught me out!  LOL  The congealed salad is from a local store and the rolls are Pillsbury whomp rolls.  They ARE really good, though. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

You rebel

I was about to say the same ... certainly a combination ! Kudos to @scamhi (and also: you baaaaad enabler - just looked through my collection and will stock up on Riesling Spätlese on Tuesday).

• Like 1

Last night my wife got her 2nd covid shot, we stayed downtown and so got to watch Giada Entertains on Food TV this morning.  She made this dish and we our local grocery had fresh sole in stock!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sole-with-lemon-caper-sauce-5592211

20210327_180845.thumb.jpg.06f87b183b00f116847ed33748b31dea.jpg

It's really good - I paired it with a 2017 Le Debut Chardonnay from HDV.

I'm quite confident we'll make this again.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Husband is getting better at bacon! He went so smoke heavy for a while, I put a moratorium on it. Pretty sure that your house, your clothes, your sheets, your dog are not supposed to smell like a campfire after a smoking session! This batch was good, my only complaint was that it was just a tad sweet. Carbonara and a salad tonight.

bacon.jpg

carbonara.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1