• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My brain went to the band Little Feat and their song "Dixie Chicken," but was unable to complete the dad joke due to lack of caffeine.

...or maybe a suspicion that it wouldn't be worth the effort. :P

I was thinking Tennessee lamb. But instead...

2009652553_Blacktrufflerisotto03-23.thumb.jpeg.e9269d5c5be80db64e27e75841a52b58.jpeg

This birthday batch of truffles from Regalis was really fine. Since I'd made stock earlier in the day, why not make some black truffle risotto? 7 grams of porcini and a few button mushrooms found their way in as well. Mounted with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Chives for color. While it seems quite wavy (all'onda - Venetian style), by the time this gets to table (after the fantastic photography 😂), it's not so wavy. Carnaroli rice used.

Served with carciofi alla Romana.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I was thinking Tennessee lamb. But instead...

2009652553_Blacktrufflerisotto03-23.thumb.jpeg.e9269d5c5be80db64e27e75841a52b58.jpeg

This birthday batch of truffles from Regalis was really fine. Since I'd made stock earlier in the day, why not make some black truffle risotto? 7 grams of porcini and a few button mushrooms found their way in as well. Mounted with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Chives for color. While it seems quite wavy (all'onda - Venetian style), by the time this gets to table (after the fantastic photography 😂), it's not so wavy. Carnaroli rice used.

Served with carciofi alla Romana.

Need the Wow emoticon as well.  Wonderful plate, weinoo.

I’d never heard of Regalis before coming across a post of yours somewhere, so thanks for the resource.

I don’t dive in to truffles mostly because I’ve not had occasion to use them all up.  Do you store yours at all?  While here, looking for decent preserved truffles.  And peelings.  Can’t recall if Regalis carries these but if any source comes to mind, I’d love to know of them.

Also while here - I hope this isn’t OT, be glad to take it elsewhere - but anyone living in the Midwest, where do you go for your fresh seafood?  I’ve always gone with Browne Trading, but I’d like to find alternatives that work well for land-locked midwesterners as well (trips to Chicago occasionally are one means).  Thanks and mods, I apologize if this belongs elsewhere.  Fully deign to your judgement of course.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

17 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'd love to know specically how you did your haddock. Looks like a good treatment for the halibut we have.

I just put 1/3 lb. haddock in each dish, added a splash of white wine, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and a knob of butter to each dish, and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Then I topped with the crumbs and baked at 300 for about 25 minutes.  I toasted the crumbs before adding them to the dish as they would not brown at 300.  The crumbs were a mix of ground up baguette from the freezer and panko.  I stirred in a couple cloves of minced garlic, some minced parsley, a little melted butter, and the zest of one lemon to give the crumbs good flavor.   You could skip the toasting step and cook the fish at a higher temperature for less times, but I find that the crumbs do not brown as evenly that way.

Last night, vegetable pad thai topped with sweet chili glazed salmon

864151137_padthaisalmon.thumb.jpg.5fa244d5a8e0664420e7d97584990d8e.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

I’d never heard of Regalis before coming across a post of yours somewhere, so thanks for the resource.

I don’t dive in to truffles mostly because I’ve not had occasion to use them all up.  Do you store yours at all?  While here, looking for decent preserved truffles.  And peelings.  Can’t recall if Regalis carries these but if any source comes to mind, I’d love to know of them.

I do store them - when they arrive (in perfect condition from Regalis), I put them in a sealable glass container loosely wrapped in a clean paper towel. 4 eggs can fit into the container with them, and in they go as well. I change the paper towel every day or so. The first day I usually make a pasta, the next day brouillade, the next day risotto, and the last day maybe under chicken skin some or something  like that. Mashed potatoes, perhaps?

Regalis says their truffles will last about a week, but are obviously at their best within a a few days of receiving them.  This last batch was 4 14 gram truffles, so they were easy enough to use equally.  They're also very clean, so after a wipe down with a paper towel or brush, I like to peel them and use the peelings and trimmings as I'm cooking the risotto or making the sauce for the pasta, and then shave the rest over at the end. I imagine they could actually be frozen or made into a good butter.

Regalis has a number of different truffle products; the only one I can  comment on is the butter, and at the price, it's pretty darn good.

Not for nothing, La Mère Brazier includes a recipe for what was allegedly her most famous dish:  Volaille Demi-Deuil, Chicken in Half Morning, making use of the exquisite black périgord truffle.  I notice that now the truffles from Regalis are frozen; I appear to have gotten in under the wire with the last batch of fresh ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I do store them - when they arrive (in perfect condition from Regalis), I put them in a sealable glass container loosely wrapped in a clean paper towel. 4 eggs can fit into the container with them, and in they go as well. I change the paper towel every day or so. The first day I usually make a pasta, the next day brouillade, the next day risotto, and the last day maybe under chicken skin some or something  like that. Mashed potatoes, perhaps?

Regalis says their truffles will last about a week, but are obviously at their best within a a few days of receiving them.  This last batch was 4 14 gram truffles, so they were easy enough to use equally.  They're also very clean, so after a wipe down with a paper towel or brush, I like to peel them and use the peelings and trimmings as I'm cooking the risotto or making the sauce for the pasta, and then shave the rest over at the end. I imagine they could actually be frozen or made into a good butter.

Regalis has a number of different truffle products; the only one I can  comment on is the butter, and at the price, it's pretty darn good.

Not for nothing, La Mère Brazier includes a recipe for what was allegedly her most famous dish:  Volaille Demi-Deuil, Chicken in Half Morning, making use of the exquisite black périgord truffle.  I notice that now the truffles from Regalis are frozen; I appear to have gotten in under the wire with the last batch of fresh ones.

Great, thanks weinoo.  I’ll have to try them.

I haven’t seen the recipe yet but I’m guessing her recipe is the later named « poulet en vessie, » right?  Can’t recall if I saw it first in Bocuse or Point (or maybe in one of the masterful twin biographies of poor Chef L’Oiseau?), but must do the dish at least once.  Maybe along with Chef Bocusés Soupe Giscard D’Estaing?  Go fund me campaign started!🙏

It’s a shame so few know just how tremendously important she was.  Started in last night.  Thanks again for jogging my memory.

With truffled thoughts .... I think this might be in The Perfectionist, but an Alexandre Dumaine recipe kept on by Bernard (I think).  Something Belle Aurore, a poultry en vapeur, truffled broth, something like that?

The winter truffle dinner (I think maybe more than one!) as given in Jean-Louis Palladin’s opulent and drippingly gorgeous book.

Sorry for the reverie.  You just got me geeked with the generosity on your plate and the sourcing, since I’ve never used them but was excited to come across them from your earlier post.  I agree with Keller's comment from TFL:  if you’re going to go with truffle, or foie, or caviar - don’t hold back, don’t serve meanly.

Inspired.  Reminded of a great lesson given to me by the owner of a boutique coffee shop in Chicago, when I was on my way but still pretty threadbare as a working actor. Great black beard, thinning black hair.  Very serious man, former Greek Orthodox monk.  Dithering over a coffee or espresso, he simply leaned in, broke a rare smile and said « always leave a little room for luxury Paul. »

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

12 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

I haven’t seen the recipe yet but I’m guessing her recipe is the later named « poulet en vessie, » right?  

Her two recipes (the demi and the en vessie) are slightly different, as her"en vessie" recipe, at least in this book, contains  no truffle. Instead, the chicken is cooked in Riesling inside the bladder. Other recipes I've seen for the dish include truffles and foie.

And "en vessie" is practically the original sous vide! in Dirt, Buford talks about it, and how they ended up putting all sorts of goodies inside the bird inside the bladder...

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891290856/bill-buford-discusses-his-culinary-journey-in-new-memoir-dirt

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The Bocuse soup mentioned -can you imagine it in today's media world? As soon as I read it the mages were in my head it was everywhere in print.  Mitch can you comment on the egg stored with T my impacted keyboard can not  now type some letters.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dejah said:

Can't remember what previous chicken feet were like. These seemed shorter on the "handle"? Used to get them from the Hutterite colony close by. Don't have any contacts these days. Will have to check next time I go to the big Chinese supermarket. I remember tying several up one Halloween and hung it on my neighbor's mailbox. Freaked her out!

Always complete with 'toe nails' here.

1663206727_chickenfeet.thumb.jpg.fb542f93acf4702585d427ea2ff55e19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don’t use our instant pot often enough to feel confident using it, but my son swears by it. And if he can do it, certainly I can do it? I did IP pulled pork yesterday. 

Last night, pulled pork in brioche bun, topped with homemade coleslaw and pickles. 9F79A56B-6D19-4EC9-9562-E01EF0D573A2.thumb.jpeg.e37cb0a94bd3d0f638c1350d7340e0c8.jpeg

Tonight pulled pork tacos with pico de gallo. 

00A84C65-7282-49EE-9E9B-20ECE592F39C.thumb.jpeg.5d1a02714059d29c7129d60c1dda8c82.jpeg

Trio of noodle desserts I made for a noodle cooking challenge. A little fancy for a follow up of humble pulled pork. 😂

D942BBCF-F17F-447B-A0EE-A66C522F7FA4.thumb.jpeg.731fb00dce2a7192f8b86f52f25410c5.jpeg

7ACADC06-31AF-4972-A6E8-9D29F6A3066C.thumb.jpeg.cfa6bc78e2bdf6f88f5c7b3e8170121d.jpeg

ETA: Lately my photos seem duller upon upload. Is anyone else experiencing that?

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Always complete with 'toe nails' here.

1663206727_chickenfeet.thumb.jpg.fb542f93acf4702585d427ea2ff55e19.jpg

I gave mine a pedicure. Many of my friends already thought they were gross, so I thought I'd soften the scariness a bit.
Those look great! I will reduce the cooking time when I make them again. The ones this time were coming off the bones too easily. I miss the bit of chew!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

43 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
I made Moe Parmesan Bread Crumb crusted Halibut for dinner tonight.
623432580_ParmesanBreadCrumb-CrustedHalibutMarch24th2021.thumb.jpg.03a67b4155ed8be2564aa7fc680173df.jpg

Served on a bed of spinach with roasted potatoes.

Line caught fresh halibut from B.C just came into Sobeys. $4.99 / 100 gm! Guess I won't be buying any until they actually go on sale...

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Her two recipes (the demi and the en vessie) are slightly different, as her"en vessie" recipe, at least in this book, contains  no truffle. Instead, the chicken is cooked in Riesling inside the bladder. Other recipes I've seen for the dish include truffles and foie.

And "en vessie" is practically the original sous vide! in Dirt, Buford talks about it, and how they ended up putting all sorts of goodies inside the bird inside the bladder...

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891290856/bill-buford-discusses-his-culinary-journey-in-new-memoir-dirt

Wow, crazy provenance, weinoo.  Pic below - these now are the top three of the holy of holies, the bedside stack.  The reading light shows who sits atop all.  I just flipped to her en vessie and love the description - « A good butcher may be able to find you a pig’s bladder.  You could also try to cook the chicken sous-vide. » !!!

Arguable, but pithy:  « there is nothing new in cuisine » - Andre Soltner (paraphrased).

I just saw in Point his simple hommage to Mere Brazier, p. 165.  To be quite honest though I know the recipes in Point (or Escoffier, for that matter, or Waverly Root or any number of others) are sketches, shorthand, there are times I read through his book and flatly wondered, « really?  This? ». To see the name « Poulet de Bresse » specified with her name, treated so exceedingly simply, I think, tells me so much more than I knew even a few nights ago.  I can’t believe I’ve had her book this long and have yet to work it.  Or, I can believe it, which is probably a teaching moment.  I really can’t wait.  (Btw - I love his vessie « Marius Vettard » a couple pages later. That at least is more familiar ground.

Just got the Buford book today and the other bios bedside (incl. Pierre Franey’s, which I just got) are bumped.  I see Anthony Bourdain gives a nod that at 53, the man went to Lyon « to learn to cook. »  Perhaps there’s still time.  

55E96853-32D7-40BB-908D-14C415025F86.jpeg

• Like 5

-Paul

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

I gave mine a pedicure. Many of my friends already thought they were gross, so I thought I'd soften the scariness a bit.
Those look great! I will reduce the cooking time when I make them again. The ones this time were coming off the bones too easily. I miss the bit of chew!

Does anyone who watches the show remember Casey’s elimination on the chicken feet?  Pretty disastrous service for everyone, not their best outing...

-Paul

Prep of sauces :

279D7537-AE88-4F5C-9D6E-4E8289B55EE0.thumb.jpeg.d5bc55f124721d0ccbf9cd84272e2887.jpegF12C3712-7E6E-4E83-8A51-1929C63A83F5.thumb.jpeg.0d84f578f2769db3e87355420a7b59db.jpeg

Crispy gnocchi / porcini & shiitake sauce / crispy smoked sausage / parm 

BE9F1CD0-8306-4F62-A996-3466DAD0264E.thumb.jpeg.fd54ba2c33903251fae35b65bdaf4a00.jpeg

salad - newish dressing; aged balsamic, sweet soy, lemon, fresh mayo, Dijon, olive oil.  If it gets the kids to ask for seconds, it’s a winner.

wine - Roero Arneis

cheese for dessert 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, Dejah said:

Line caught fresh halibut from B.C just came into Sobeys. $4.99 / 100 gm! Guess I won't be buying any until they actually go on sale...

@Dejah, I hate to tell you this, but I never see it less that $4.99/100gs.  That is the sale price here the first week or two of halibut season and then it 

quickly goes up to $5.99 or higher.   Except for halibut steaks.  They will often have them on for slightly less.  Unfortunately, I don't care for the steaks as

much as the filets. 

• Like 1

Venison spaghetti red and salad

thumbnail_IMG_0680.jpg.b75018395fca0457f0417d6ca869be32.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0679.jpg.87e8bd562802af825db69fff39bc3ae5.jpg

And after reading about @Kim Shook's lemoncello, I had to make lemon posset with blackberries

thumbnail_IMG_0681.jpg.7469c17b7a7ceb55899015e78214a31b.jpg

Last night was salmon, pasta and asparagus

thumbnail_IMG_0682.jpg.1bc0483ccc9ca4dcb583fced0bafaa84.jpg

One of Ronnie's daughters brought several containers of strawberries over for us.  Someone came to a place she works and was selling them.  I'm not sure where they are from but they are good.  Was going to make angel food cake, but couldn't find my cake pan so I made shortcakes instead.

thumbnail_IMG_0683.jpg.e128fd052dbde8342dc66757182b66fc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Dejah, I hate to tell you this, but I never see it less that $4.99/100gs.  That is the sale price here the first week or two of halibut season and then it 

quickly goes up to $5.99 or higher.   Except for halibut steaks.  They will often have them on for slightly less.  Unfortunately, I don't care for the steaks as

much as the filets. 

Oh my! So best I grab some now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@liamsaunt – once again, you have me craving fish and chips!

@patti – shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes in the entire world and yours looks fantastic.  I’ve just added it to my menus document!

@weinoo – I’ve never had brandade and I need to fix that.  I love anything that is in that creamy fish realm. 

@liuzhou – gorgeous chips!!!

@Duvel – that burrata is positively alluring.  I just told Mr. Kim that when the tomatoes come in this summer, we are finding burrata and a good baguette and we’ll feast on just THAT for dinner.

@mgaretz – I love the dark, glossiness of the sauce on your beef stew.

@Shelby – I’ve gotta try that lemon posset!

Everyone’s corned beef looks so good!  (Not to mention the lovely Ruebens.)   I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never made it.   It's been so long since I've posted in the Dinner thread that I'm taking up a lot of space here.

Last Wednesday was just a pickup dinner as I had to start fasting at 7pm for some bloodwork on Thursday:

IMG_5305.jpg.67686febeb3f03b00c86e54b932c4c20.jpg

Locally produced and canned Brunswick stew.  It is surprisingly good – a touch of Worcestershire and BBQ sauce and it is as good as lots of homemade (not mine).

Thursday night was from one of our favorite Greek/Italian places:

IMG_5308.jpg.442447ad70a31e3b6a29fb3849e08802.jpg

Chicken Alfredo for me and Chef Michael’s for Mr. Kim (basically all the meats).

I’ve been craving cheeseburgers and fries for a few weeks.  I decided to give @Ann_T's CSO “fries” a try on Friday.  After the halfway mark turn - soaked and tossed with a little olive oil and salt before putting in the CSO:

IMG_5314.thumb.jpg.ec1dee761417981b0154da4a2c62ec72.jpg

Done and served with the burgers:

IMG_5318.jpg.5c6173aa2b8c1267e03fd301452802f8.jpg

They were really great and no harder or more complicated than other baked “fries”.  And certainly easier to clean up from than deep fried potatoes.  My burgers were less successful.  While they tasted great, they really fell apart:

IMG_5316.thumb.jpg.e1c546456bcd20e0a50defb6590f1bb6.jpg

I like a really thin, crusty patty.  I press the meat together (I try not to overwork) and don’t season until they are frying in butter (or ghee) in the iron skillet.  Then, it’s just salt and pepper and Worcestershire.  I realize my pan was not hot enough, but I don’t think that is why they tend to fall apart.   This happens a lot when I make burgers.  I’m wondering about just switching over to pre-made patties.   I kinda overdid the buns:

IMG_5313.jpg.0daaa189e9fe95d4ccfb349e026f673c.jpg

Not burnt, though.  Very buttery and crunchy.  Served with a salad also:

IMG_5315.jpg.8731d2c5596753cf663febede0b4c296.jpg

With blackberry/goat cheese vinaigrette.

Sunday was quick and easy – prepared veal cutlets from Publix with Rao’s sauce and pasta:

IMG_5373.jpg.e0778f52e295feeb187cf65b5a6b1c3d.jpg

Served with a salad and some Momma-style garlic bread:

IMG_5372.jpg.ef68643996d200b04a3b849793c77514.jpg

IMG_5374.thumb.jpg.4235c22ba466d3313b4b6be8f85cf716.jpg

That would be leftover hamburger buns, buttered and sprinkled with garlic granules.  I’m guessing growing up, we had this to accompany spaghetti more often than garlic toast made with crusty bread😉

Monday’s dinner was a bit disappointing:

IMG_5379.jpg.e3d642bcdb564898dba6b9c2e1a835c8.jpg

Sweet potatoes, shredded sautéed Brussels sprouts, and miso glazed salmon.  The salmon was the disappointment – partly my fault and partly not.  The glaze tasted good (miso, brown sugar, sake – I also marinated a few minutes in soy sauce) but was MUCH too thick.  Instead of a glaze, it was more of a goo.  The part that I think wasn’t my fault is that it was mushy.  I don’t think that it was underdone or overdone.  Not sure what the problem is.  I’ll give Publix another chance, but no more than that.

Tuesday night Mr. Kim requested tuna salad sandwiches and tomato-beef consommé for dinner:

IMG_5382.jpg.ccf7287ed7a7f54b11aae1c1fdba2f8f.jpg

I also made some egg salad.

IMG_5384.jpg.7c7971d038bb286c5452e145852519a9.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg.6d226d95aa9057df6347dd26de5ec0ed.jpg

This soup is an incredibly easy cheat – just V8 and canned consommé with some aromatics.  It simmers for about 20 minutes.  And that’s it.  We all love it.  It makes for a great weeknight meal, but I’ve also served it to company. 

Last night Jessica brought dinner from one of her favorite places, Tazza Kitchen:

IMG_5397.thumb.jpg.db534f45a8ec41b2644398a110fe8217.jpg

Spicy sausage with aged provolone, fresh mozz and a black pepper honey drizzle.

IMG_5398.jpg.958c0a90ed1ef496d95be6851fb69749.jpg

Prosciutto and arugula with fresh mozz and grana Padano.

IMG_5399.jpg.c3bb2087d9238c77ba14b8bc82e6c7e1.jpg

White pizza with bechamel, Parm, fresh mozz, caramelized onions, and bacon.  All good and not too spicy for me.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Meatballs with red sauce and zucchini noodles. Daniel Gritzer’s Serious Eats meatballs (minus the optional chicken gelatin) with a well-executed red sauce. I did, however, forget the horrendous watery fallout that comes with zucchini noodles. It has been a year or two since I last made them, and forgot the need for special technique (whatever that is). Happily, enough bread can sop up almost all sins.

E0185E9C-DD8A-450B-8844-80CDB3E28B7E.thumb.jpeg.035ac4c36bf43fd0803a0fbeae930d08.jpeg

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Meatballs with red sauce and zucchini noodles. Daniel Gritzer’s Serious Eats meatballs (minus the optional chicken gelatin) with a well-executed red sauce. I did, however, forget the horrendous watery fallout that comes with zucchini noodles. It has been a year or two since I last made them, and forgot the need for special technique (whatever that is). Happily, enough bread can sop up almost all sins.

E0185E9C-DD8A-450B-8844-80CDB3E28B7E.thumb.jpeg.035ac4c36bf43fd0803a0fbeae930d08.jpeg

Z noodles  are not my choice but the squash in lovely state and cost had been at market lately. I pre nuke  - save liquid - sauces, broths. Curious have you done the meatballs w/ gelatin> opinion?

• Like 1