• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Haddock baked with lemon, white wine, and crispy breadcrumbs, roasted sweet potatoes with a hint of curry, and green beans

1355365050_denbyhaddock.thumb.jpg.33a551688368746e99a5e76c172f086e.jpg

Wine pairing

wine.thumb.jpg.410bdee045b3b38bb926d72215d96a19.jpg

I was thinking tonight how much our dinner time has changed since covid.  In the before times, dinner was served at 8:30 during the week due to commuting.  Now with my husband working at home full time and my sister getting off at 4PM, we eat between 5:30 and 6.  That's probably better for the digestion but makes me feel old 😄

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, liamsaunt said:

I was thinking tonight how much our dinner time has changed since covid.  In the before times, dinner was served at 8:30 during the week due to commuting.  Now with my husband working at home full time and my sister getting off at 4PM, we eat between 5:30 and 6.  That's probably better for the digestion but makes me feel old 😄

This morning's dinner was served at 2:00 am.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Objective Foodie said:

We are sorry for the delay! It's a simple recipe for a quick pickle, based on a recipe from J. Weissman.

Ingredients:

1 cucumber

1 fennel with its leaves

360g apple cider vinegar

180g water

15g salt

15g white sugar

Optional: dill, garlic

Method:

Cut the cucumber into 1cm slices. Cut the fennel on a mandolin (2-3mm slices). Combine both in a jar. Bring to boil the vinegar and water. Dissolve the salt and sugar in the liquids. Pour the liquid over the vegetables. Cover and cool down. Ready to eat in 2-3h. It can be stored in the fridge for weeks.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Salmon Quenelles in a Lobster Sauce.

479085472_SalmonQuenellesinaLobsterSauceMarch22nd2021.thumb.jpg.cc69df0d8f28cce19d7f8c738d0c779a.jpg
The photo is not very appetizing. My fault for plating the Quenelles and then spooning the lobster sauce around them. They kind of got lost in the sauce. Should have added the sauce to the plate and then topped with the Quenelles.
I have always loved Quenelles, but I found the flavour of the salmon, not quite as delicate as halibut or another white fish.
If I make them again it will be with halibut.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 5

7 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

In the before times, dinner was served at 8:30 during the week due to commuting.  Now with my husband working at home full time and my sister getting off at 4PM, we eat between 5:30 and 6.

But it leaves more time to enjoy your nice wines ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

Veal cutlets and tomato-edamame salad with burrata

Interesting that you call them cutlets - they appear to have bones, and I've always associated cutlets as boneless things. But butchery is obviously different in different countries.

1265321843_PorkstirfriedSichuanstyle03-22.thumb.jpeg.c022c296cde4be8ea96d46b8c1eb903e.jpeg

Pork stir-fried with a Szechuan style sauce, along with the only vegetables workable and in the fridge - peppers, celery, carrots, scallions.

IMG_3807.thumb.jpeg.761403a36dd473c9d8d3a0e14de43395.jpeg

And a NY State Finger Lakes Riesling to go along.  

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Interesting that you call them cutlets - they appear to have bones, and I've always associated cutlets as boneless things. But butchery is obviously different in different countries.

Might be more of a wording issue than actually a butchery topic ... I had this, but learned the term “cutlet” for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Cotoletta (meaning cutlet) alla milanese in Italy is also bone-in. Cutlet does not necessarily mean off-the-bone.

Except in the United States, where if you go into any butcher shop in America, and ask for cutlets, they will be boneless. After the butcher asks what kind of cutlet you want. That's why i asked @Duvel the question.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Except in the United States, where if you go into any butcher shop in America, and ask for cutlets, they will be boneless. After the butcher asks what kind of cutlet you want. That's why i asked @Duvel the question.

A lot of things are "except in the United States"!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When the granddaughters come for the day. all they want for supper is noodles!
So noodles it is!

Lupper3605.jpg.fd7bafc77a348c2fa00ccc0cd5d71158.jpg

The youngest and goofiest princess! They actually want JUST noodles. I added beef and beansprouts to the adults' version.

1399774500_Lupper3611.jpg.bfc5f10be204e0abbbb1885568a84c04.jpg

I also had some dim sum items: store bought har gow, xiao lung baos, and I made sticky rice in lotus leaf. They each have their preferences, and Nana aims to please when we have these rare gatherings.

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Kung Po Gai for supper last night, using up the leftover Crudités from the princesses' visit

171988554_KungPaoChicken3621.jpg.b9574eb3baae8080e18fb103d42e8c80.jpg

Then I put my life at risk making dim sum style braised chicken feet! Luckily, I had a huge wok with a big lid as the feet splattered like crazy even though I fried them really well first. I remember then why I deep fried them outside on a turkey fryer in the past! The fried feet were dunked into ice water, then braised in black bean garlic chili sauce in the Instant Pot.  They were maybe over cooked at 30 minutes and natural release, but so lip smacking delicious!

967179658_GoldenPalms3616.jpg.5e1e1430ea3b9ef1e7564528ad3b92c6.jpg

1910899342_GoldenPalmsicing3615.jpg.2bd8be206ad9b7f2cf1eb18154257a7d.jpg

1767719094_GoldenPalms3617.jpg.8a1a511aac192db08b9688a6aaa65782.jpg

795165853_GoldenPalmsBraising3624.jpg.1a7e67490c15dc1b2fe416af7a4dfa5b.jpg

374450583_GoldenPalms3623.jpg.5c9ff6d98f1b52e860c5a8cc6c66ea7c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Being down south at my Dad's I have been steak-deprived since he has trouble chewing it.  We were also pretty low in the freezer, so I picked up some tri-tips and sliced one into steaks.  Cooked SV then seared, served with TJ's latkes made in the air fryer and steamed Brussels Sprouts with butter.

tt-steak-latkes2.jpg.7adcb168469bd7b9d4f735130ccd0300.jpg

And since there seems to be a lack of good BBQ in his area,  I made some Blasphemy Ribs and have vacuum sealed them and froze them to take down.  Here are half of them sealed:

blasphemy-ribs-packaged.jpg.838f2f971f235ea45466efecbef8c4fd.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@Dejah I notice your chicken feet had the complete claw slice off. The ones I get are usually with claw. Your experience? (also fun to paint them and use in Halloween haunted house)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Haddock baked with lemon, white wine, and crispy breadcrumbs, roasted sweet potatoes with a hint of curry, and green beans

1355365050_denbyhaddock.thumb.jpg.33a551688368746e99a5e76c172f086e.jpg

Wine pairing

wine.thumb.jpg.410bdee045b3b38bb926d72215d96a19.jpg

I'd love to know specically how you did your haddock. Looks like a good treatment for the halibut we have.

When butchering tri-tip into steaks, there are always small pieces not really big enough to be a steak.  So I cut them up for stew meat, and if I'm not cutting a lot of steaks, I'll trim some of the tips off to pad the stew meat.  So beef stew made with tri-tip trimmings, onion, carrot, celery, peas, corn and potato.  Made in the IP.

stew8.jpg.54782dd7605bf8e224430cb761336ce4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight's dinner.
1168999454_CioppinoMarch23rd20213.thumb.jpg.07546df30276dcad896805470f8811e5.jpg

Cioppino with halibut, spot prawns, clams and mussels.
The halibut and spot prawns are from Walcan Seafoods. 
I picked up the clams and mussels from a local seafood shop in Duncan.
1084810668_BaguettesMarch23rd20214.thumb.jpg.d859ed24ddcdf714d7e8c529f9d19e16.jpg
And baguette for dipping.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 5

@heidih: Can't remember what previous chicken feet were like. These seemed shorter on the "handle"? Used to get them from the Hutterite colony close by. Don't have any contacts these days. Will have to check next time I go to the big Chinese supermarket. I remember tying several up one Halloween and hung it on my neighbor's mailbox. Freaked her out! 😆

A friend gave me a container of Schawarma seasoning. I marinated chicken breasts and had plans to grill on the BBQ.  But it was blowing with gale force winds then snow! So I grilled stove top then finished in the oven.
Eaten with peas and mint in Basmati rice and stir-fried mixed vegetables.

862022225_SchawarmaChicken3628.jpg.f30563700350a4e3732cf249f19deca2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

@heidih: Can't remember what previous chicken feet were like. These seemed shorter on the "handle"?                                                                                                           

My brain went to the band Little Feat and their song "Dixie Chicken," but was unable to complete the dad joke due to lack of caffeine.

...or maybe a suspicion that it wouldn't be worth the effort. :P

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning