• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

When I used to use my Cameron's stovetop smoker (I haven't used it in a while), I lined the bottom with foil, but the wood chips on top of that, then another piece of foil, then the drip tray they use (which presses the foils into a tight sandwich around the chips) and I get a good amount of smoke and it definitely makes clean up easier.  BUT, the Cameron is a closed device which traps the smoke - I don't know how smoky it would get if the cover was left off - plus, using the drip tray to weight down the chips only lets the smoke past the edges/corners, which works fine in an enclosed box, but wouldn't work in your setup.

Maybe you can get a piece of screen with a metal or stone weight on top to press the wood chips into the bottom of the donabe?

This is a closed device as well...but I seriously don't know why cleanup, as it relates to smokers, drives everyone so batty. Take a look at @Norm Matthews set up...my guess is Norm isn't overly worried about cleanup!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This is a closed device as well...but I seriously don't know why cleanup, as it relates to smokers, drives everyone so batty. Take a look at @Norm Matthews set up...my guess is Norm isn't overly worried about cleanup!

Well, with the Cameron smoker, when the wood chips smolder they create this black gunk that flows all along the whole bottom.  When I cleaned it, I didn't do a job like I do with my normal pans, but I got the brunt of the gunk off, probably because they told me to in the instructions and I didn't think much of it.

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The first thing I was told by the maker was to fire up the smoker a couple of times while it was empty to get the smoker tempered with a coating from the fire.  It is supposed it be "smoked" inside.  I clean the racks every time I use them with SOS in the sink. I usually clean the convection plate by scraping it with a putty knife maybe three times a year and scrape the excess out of the bottom once a year. I never gave a thought about the smoke build up inside.  The metal is a quarter inch thick and not supposed to ever burn or rust through, at least not for at least several decades.   

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

you would have gotten a Toque , 

but they require pictures.

just saying.

Pictures are currently difficult.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It is indeed Spring!

546675952_ScreenShot2021-03-11at5_33_54PM.thumb.png.e5c344fd9ec5e7b46450abbcce05ccb1.png

So much for health food.   Now on to frites and prawns (mayo, cocktail sauce, lemon)

443212404_ScreenShot2021-03-11at5_30_29PM.thumb.png.f3b67a5de6e6a5deb4ba684766529e11.png

That is one gorgeous salad! Frites and prawns aren’t too shabby, either. 😉

Tonight, quesadilla, guacamole, and bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers. 

20F4498B-AD81-4BC2-B84E-CC210BC6A84C.jpeg.313715eaded76c726246db7be25dc209.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

IMG_3728.jpeg.bc75fc2aa9ecf27b12109523c2ea7a3f.jpeg

The All-American dinner. Grass-fed, local rib eye (sous vide to 133℉, then seared), RG Buckeye beans with Hatch red chili sauce, organic "spud puppies" (oy).

Rounding it out...

IMG_3730.jpeg.4c52cfd144ee64f940bb23741d36d31d.jpeg

One of our favorite wineries in Sonoma.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

Nice !  Melted cheese !

I cant figure out what the ' red ' is in the upper 1/2 of the burger.

it looks quote thick for tomato

Tomato - very juicy !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I am jealous of all your salmon!

@weinoo, if you lived closer I would share some.  I've have eaten more fish in the last two weeks than I would normally eat in six months.

And more to come.   I have four pounds of Halibut and five pounds of Swimming Scallops arriving today from Tide to Table Walcan Seafoods.  

I'm not big on scallops but these little scallops in pretty pink shells are suppose to be "clam" like so I'm thinking I'll make a chowder tonight for dinner. 

Swimming Scallops (Whole)

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@weinoo, if you lived closer I would share some.  I've have eaten more fish in the last two weeks than I would normally eat in six months.

And more to come.   I have four pounds of Halibut and five pounds of Swimming Scallops arriving today from Tide to Table Walcan Seafoods.  

I'm not big on scallops but these little scallops in pretty pink shells are suppose to be "clam" like so I'm thinking I'll make a chowder tonight for dinner. 

Those are so pretty!  Are they difficult to open?

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thai yellow curry with prawns and asparagus.

20210312_190612.thumb.jpg.7190ec7a0db5fe9160c066e4ae129765.jpg

20210312_190634.thumb.jpg.7f738abce47900f49c41e7c49c52f839.jpg

Thanks fo the ide. I have all the ingredients and have not done a yellow curry in a while

Local little Chinese grocery had live oysters just in. I have never bought them in the shell before, but in my moment of madness, I bought 12. I didn't even have an oyster knife!
A friend told me to warm them up in the oven for a few minutes, and they will open just enough for me to get a tool in. It worked! I still had to work for it tho'. Got 6 ready and baked them with cream cheese /herbs with a bit of chili sauce and lemon juice. Topped with butter bread crumbs. They were good and made the struggle worthwhile.

1929760424_oysters3475.jpg.2ed1b525feeadb463ca6e5db26c1a523.jpg

2129309667_BakedOysters3482.jpg.0d00ee6c9a5afb7173d2e689210ce94c.jpg       

More seafood for supper: Bouillabaisse with pickerel, scallops, clams, mussels, and shrimp. Toasted sourdough bread to sop up what broth was left from spooning!

"I'd like to be, under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade"       

Bouilllabaisse3486.jpg.bae86149fb8b5782cb71850a2dfb868a.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

27 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I too am jealous of your fresh seafood, especially the halibut!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

29 minutes ago, Dejah said:
57 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I too am jealous of your fresh seafood, especially the halibut!

@Dejah, well what I have been getting from Walcan is vacuumed frozen.  Although they do offer specials on fresh when available.  Recently they offered

fresh Dover sole, and Black Cod (Sable) which I missed out on.   Not sure when Halibut season opens. I haven't seen it fresh in the market yet, but I'm hoping to order

fresh halibut and fresh Spot Prawns when both are in season.  

I currently have both Wild Spring and Sockeye in the freezer, Albacore (sashimi grade), Petrale sole, Halibut,  and 1 1/2 pounds of tail only Spot Prawns.  Also 6 East Coast lobsters, cooked and frozen. I was concerned about buying frozen cooked lobsters, but I used two of them in pasta the other day and they were really tasty.   And this morning after the delivery  I'll have four more pounds of Halibut and the Swimming Scallops. 

Moe loves fish and thinks he has died and gone to heaven.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T 

""  Moe loves fish and thinks he has died and gone to heaven. ""

NO No No Moe !

think about the RB's !

that being an aside

Im so pleased you are able to find these

Fishies .  and help the FisherPoeple out

and you both do indeed deeply enjoy them.

and can make them shine on your plates

A pair of salads, one of which confirms to me that nope, I still don't like beets. They taste like dirt.

20210312_162453.thumb.jpg.3cc9dfc99db9bf9645a4615854b73a8e.jpg

The other is chicken salad in a mildly sweet dressing made of mayo, chili sauce, curry powder and Worcestershire sauce, which I nailed. Close to the best chicken salad I ever made. It has apples, cranberries and sliced almonds in it.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com