• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

I just don't like to deep fry stuff. It's a pain in the neck. I grew up eating deep fried foods, but now, I'll just go to a restaurant.

Except for Scotch eggs. I still fry Scotch eggs.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Leg of lamb rotisseried in the fireplace

1114668683_ScreenShot2021-03-04at7_55_38AM.thumb.png.2e8a49d0c15ea896d6499e53da573d4a.png

Roasted carrots, and "roni".

That leg of lamb is a thing of beauty!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I do use my Ninja Foodie air fryer function whenever I make ribs that I used to deep fry. They turn out great. Fish & Chips, definitely deep frying is the way to go - once in a while. It does do a decent chips. The best is for crispy chicken wings instead the oven method.
And speaking of air fryer ribs, I tried again to replicate the Crispy Coffee Pork we had in Singapore years ago. The last 3 times, I used the instant coffee granules as in the recipe. There was always a bitter taste and not enough coffee flavour.
I finally picked up some Watkins Coffee extract and it worked better! After marinating, the ribs were tossed in flour and potato starch and into the air fryer @400F for 20 minutes, turning once. The coffee flavour is really just in the sauce: maltose, Worchesterchire sauce (brings to mind @liuzhou's post on Shanghai Worchestershire sauce), sugar and coffee extract.

887263124_CoffeeRibs3417.jpg.85596c3bccfa814d8df6341c8ba89851.jpg

Costco finally brought in the Kewpie Deep Roasted Sesame dressing and marinade. We love it on salads, but hadn't tried it as a marinade. Definitely didn't show well in "deep fried ribs". The sesame ribs I used the soda cracker meal / crumbs we used in our former restaurant.  The dressing didn't work as a dip either - might have worked better hot? I just used the Hot Momma Spicy Mango Drizzler I had and sprinkled on lots of toasted seeds. Hubby said they were great with his beer.😊

1408171357_Kewpiedressing3416.jpg.2452f032116e4b4076e809ed7292bdf1.jpg

1529143926_LazySusanFood3422.jpg.78aecd32992319a7089cafd98adb4128.jpg

I was hesitant to post the saddle of lamb we had a couple of nights ago after seeing @Margaret Pilgrim's leg of lamb!
I had marinated the saddle with whole grain Dijon mustard and fresh rosemary overnight. Stuck it in the 275F oven while I had a power nap. Turned out to be a 2 hour nap! The lamb was well done, but it was still tender and juicy. I gather the small roll of meat on either side of the backbone didn't require a long roasting no matter the temp!

887994607_SaddleofLamb3410.jpg.4c5b2fc1bcfb5068507e80900c50d824.jpg

Had lots leftover and we ate that  2 nights later with a curry gravy.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The little one has a regular cold, my wife made a mistake and took a 350 g piece of roasted salmon (plus side salad & pasta) to work, so basically I could cook dinner just for me ...

Spicy it is 🥳

Gong Bao Ji Ding (宫保鸡丁), no other things needed. Yeah, except that highball, but it really was a bit spicy ...

CFB66047-0145-443E-9A5B-AE560ECD0C8E.thumb.jpeg.6cbfb891f1d7ff9c67af525df9959bb0.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Venison 'bolognese' (come and get me Italian food police) - cannellinis, spinach, onion, red wine, chick broth, butter, tom sc, paprika, cumin, dry herbs over Rice a Roni (when's the last time you had or thought of that? My little had asked about it so why not.  Was pretty good : ) 

venchil.thumb.jpg.b8b1747b2c26ebd28741778230e10736.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

Picked these abalone up at the Chinese grocery. Have never had them like these before. Only kind I've ever cooked were the canned whole abalone, which is outrageous price-wise these days.

So, don't really know how to prepare these.

I want to do them sliced and braised? with Chinese mushrooms in oyster sauce. Will the abalone be tough? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

1019929706_Abalone3429.thumb.jpg.b24a485f6ce2b99bc29f1607d8b1adba.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Picked these abalone up at the Chinese grocery. Have never had them like these before. Only kind I've ever cooked were the canned whole abalone, which is outrageous price-wise these days.

So, don't really know how to prepare these.

I want to do them sliced and braised? with Chinese mushrooms in oyster sauce. Will the abalone be tough? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

1019929706_Abalone3429.thumb.jpg.b24a485f6ce2b99bc29f1607d8b1adba.jpg

@Dejah, I'm assuming those are raw & then frozen. I like to eat abalone raw, but not sure if you'd be comfortable eating them raw.

I've also had fresh-picked abalone, cooked. The person who picked the abalone cooked them. (I really wanted to eat that abalone raw, but I was not the one who picked them off the rock(s).) Anyway, I remember watching it being cooked (sliced, then cooked semi-briefly in butter) and I remember it being very rubbery and hard to eat (tough).

My conclusion: if you cook it, you've got to cook it down for a long time in order for it to become pleasant to eat. Liquid braise sounds good. I would try braising it whole and then slicing it later. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

There is a good summary of how to cook them here. The important thing, I feel, is to tenderise them. Either by pounding them or by long slow cooking. Or just eat them raw!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As @liuzhou and @MokaPot said, abalone needs to be tenderized or slow cooking.
I shucked, cleaned, and blanched the little abalone in hot water for a few minutes. The 10 little fellas and re-hydrated Shitaki mushrooms went into the liner pot of the Instant Pot with sauteed garlic, ginger slices, mushroom soaking liquid, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and cooking wine. The whole lot was cooked for 50 minutes on high pressure.

Everything was just tender, and each abalone was 2 bites! I also had some scallops on the shell to cook up. These were steamed on a rack in the wok with the Shanghai Bok Choy .

The liquid from the abalone was perfect, thickened with cornstarch slurry.

There wasn't much flavour to the abalone other than from the braising liquid. I was dreaming about the fresh baby abalone we enjoyed at a seafood buffet on the 15th floor of our hotel in Soeul, but alas, the ones I cooked didn't quite measure up.😉

1209306510_AbaloneMushrooms3432.jpg.373365a4547a9f7a42be19a02d0e42b1.jpg

321414868_Abalonecloseup3437.jpg.7c51e2e6f14e987f4e2e1f601e850124.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

An overnight slow cooked stew of chickpeas ,lentils, eggs, vegetables (carrots, sunchokes, potatoes, kohlrabi, turnip, browned onions, chilies). Finished with bahrat (with allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, nutmeg, pepper), smoked paprika.

Topped with yogurt, parsley, fried shallots, toasted almond slivers, sumac.

Served with turmeric and bay leaves flavored rice, fresh vegetables, olives, tahini sauce, zchug, olives.  Roasted eggplants slices with lemony tahini sauce. Helles lager.

PXL_20210220_114311805.thumb.jpg.53b0af949fe2f8ba8252737ab00428ef.jpg

PXL_20210220_114235581.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, Dejah said:

Will the abalone be tough? Any suggestions?

In my (northern) California years, there was a friend who would go up to Mendocino or Humboldt County a few times a year to go abalone "fishing." No - you don't drop a line, you dive. And at that time (I don't know what the current regs are), you had to free dive, and the limit was probably one or two. (You did not want to get caught illegally taking ab). That was not a very safe thing to do; it's a treacherous coast and the water is cold - but then again, the guy jumped out of planes and base jumped; he was one of those.

Anyway, he and his dive buddies would bring the abalone back, and we'd prep and cook it. Pried out of its shell, sliced thinly, and then got the shit pounded out of it, often with the side of a wine bottle!  Sautéed ever so briefly in butter and/or olive oil, it was heaven on a plate. Nothing from the sea tastes like that. Saline, sweet, tender - oh man. The stuff available in cans - nah. And as has happened to so many other sea creatures, over-harvesting led to even more regs, etc. etc. And now they farm abalone, and it's harvested much younger as it reaches market age more quickly, etc. etc. Sad decline of a delicious species. All this talk of seafood...

1847046782_Chirashi03-05.jpeg.6eceae6988c66e5899a4910ce781fa22.jpeg

Chirashi with grilled jumbo shrimp, ikura and smoked steelhead roe. Avocado, sweet carrots and pickled ramps!

IMG_3707.jpeg.8b119b0990d85c95e445069dd70c06ca.jpeg

Alongside, brussels with crispy bacon.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

YES, all the seafood looks so good.  I suppose I should order some to be shipped to us before the weather gets super hot this summer.  

Thawed out a few packages of venison burger so I had to use those up.  Made a big pot of chili.

thumbnail_IMG_0614-1.jpg.ae1716085775974834d4c229c39db422.jpg

Then I made a big pot of spag. sauce.

thumbnail_IMG_0616.jpg.269915aa180401ea3eb710b1885129ba.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0617-1.jpg.cd07784e9b000dfa7d6e55789267b393.jpg

I'm sure I'm late to the party, but I have been seeing these things called Burger Bombs online.  Fridge biscuits stuffed with cooked bacon, venison burger, cream cheese and cheddar cheese.  I seasoned it up more and added diced onions and pickles.  Oh and some Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ketchup.  These were pretty good. Ate them with fries and a mushroom salad.

thumbnail_IMG_0619-1.jpg.c3dfbc60dc658da0001f439f3f74548d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0618-1.jpg.f6d685009dae2712909a8f70cf8b74d3.jpg

It's almost fishing time again (time is going SO fast for me). So I need to start eating more fish from the freezer.  Fried up some catfish and had it with oysters, shells and cheese and some chard.

thumbnail_IMG_0622-1.jpg.6e6c51557fac6f83061ab42f7117fe59.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0623.jpg.6624330e9d1c9eb883fdb05e230f51a6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0624.jpg.8acf13266b1873c6384d85eae4400eba.jpg

I'm in a mood where I want something DIFFERENT ...I don't know what, just different.  I had a chicken breast left from the Banh Mi sandwiches and needed to do something with it.  OH I thought I had the most original idea:  Banh Mi PIZZA!!!!  Turns out it's a thing and I'm far from the first one ever to think of it.🤣  Made the dough.  Spread with a thin layer of hoisin sauce.  Topped with diced chicken, mozz. cheese, jalapeños and eggs.

thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg.eae93d00cf057b3b8a9c62c3e84eb803.jpg

After bake

thumbnail_IMG_0626-2.jpg.94413642c37e520fed2c827d8b49ad2a.jpg

Topped with pickled carrots and radish and cilantro and a sauce made from mayo, Sriracha, sesame oil and rice vinegar.

thumbnail_IMG_0627.jpg.6f67bfc257464e48f84384cc856ebbb7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0628.jpg.a86fd945cd0619bbce3235e62bc76303.jpg

I really thought Ronnie might like this....he said the eggs saved it lol.  When he would get a bite with a lot of chicken, he liked it, but again the veggie to meat ratio was off for him.  Next time I'd do ground pork seasoned up.  

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm in a mood where I want something DIFFERENT ..

OK Shelby. You absolutely know I love you so I can say this with impunity I hope. I frequently roll my eyes at things our members post but I do not believe until today I ever rolled my eyes at something you posted. But burger bombs? Pizza bahn mie. Oh Shelby! I think I’m going to blame it all on Covid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK Shelby. You absolutely know I love you so I can say this with impunity I hope. I frequently roll my eyes at things our members post but I do not believe until today I ever rolled my eyes at something you posted. But burger bombs? Pizza bahn mie. Oh Shelby! I think I’m going to blame it all on Covid!

Well, I joined in 2007 so that's 14 years.  I'm due an eyeroll 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, I joined in 2007 so that's 14 years.  I'm due an eyeroll 🤣

You are such a good sport. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog