• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

I DREAMED about ceviche last night. Not shrimp but a white fish. WANT.

If you can get your hands on King Fish - that is the authentic (and one of the better tasting) fish of many Caribbean ceviche's.  Between that and Conch  - you can't go wrong.  Any FRESH fish will do though!

Mmmm - now we just have to get this COVID shit over and done with so I can get back to the Bahamas!  Fried grouper cheeks, ceviche and coleslaw are calling my name!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Mmmm - now we just have to get this COVID shit over and done with so I can get back to the Bahamas!  Fried grouper cheeks, ceviche and coleslaw are calling my name!

Conch fritters!

• Like 4

new range/oven with "air fry" feature.

Did chicken wings along with shredded brussels.

I will never again use the air fry feature. The oven came with a large air fry basket and I put a 1/2 sheet pan on the rack below to catch the drippings.  It took me 2+ hours to clean the oven racks and hopefully after 3 hour self clean cycle the oven will be back to normal. Ugh.

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, scamhi said:

I will never again use the air fry feature. The oven came with a large air fry basket and I put a 1/2 sheet pan on the rack below to catch the drippings.  It took me 2+ hours to clean the oven racks and hopefully after 3 hour self clean cycle the oven will be back to normal. Ugh.

Wow. That is really sad. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Leg of lamb rotisseried in the fireplace

1114668683_ScreenShot2021-03-04at7_55_38AM.thumb.png.2e8a49d0c15ea896d6499e53da573d4a.png

137069872_ScreenShot2021-03-04at7_56_01AM.thumb.png.3cce5e071e610c01be2882ab975e69ab.png

1836488337_ScreenShot2021-03-04at7_56_25AM.thumb.png.c6f1580e75f4053d73fa08d8baaf8a49.png

Roasted carrots, and "roni".

wow... there is something just so primally beautiful about that.  Next time you're going to make this, please give a bit of advance notice so I can book my plane flight and corresponding quarantine time!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Conch fritters!

Those too!  And Grouper 'fingers'

One year we got a really good deal at the Atlantis and not far from there (a 20 minute cab) we went to one of my family's favourite local 'shack' - I say shack in the kindest word, and most shacks would look luxurious next to this place (think of a 10x15 plywood hut with a hanging light bulb) - the lady there makes the best conch salad, grouper in every way, and an unreal coleslaw! 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

My local farmers have been short of chicken breasts lately, so I've been buying turkey tenderloins instead. Took a couple and pounded them semi-flat, seasoned, dredged in flour, dipped in egg and milk, then breaded with panko for a more-or-less turkey katsu. Or schnitzel. Or whatever you will. 

With cream peas topped with the equivalent of Community Organizer, and what I believe may have been my first-ever roasted rutabaga. A rather monochromatic dinner, but not bad. Except I'm not fond of rutabaga.

969800080_dinner3-2.thumb.jpg.db343762a91e45f0b1d44451ae204fa5.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, scamhi said:

It took me 2+ hours to clean the oven

I had the same experience with the first convection oven that I bought. It had this lovely rotisserie Gizmo and the first thing that I did was stick a chicken on it. It took me more than 2 hours to clean the oven and the oven and I were never the same afterward. I've had two convection ovens since and the first thing that I pitch is the rotisserie Gizmo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, scamhi said:

What if you put a rack in your sheet pan and put the basket on top of that? No need to worry about cleaning an oven rack and you get the air circulation you need with the rack under the fry pot. Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver 

insightful thinking

\Id add some thing

to lift the chicken above the sheet pan

for circulation of the hot air

cage-ing the splatter

is param0nt.

then , there is vertical chicken 

out side ob the three burner Webber

not available to Folks in the Big City

• Like 1

@MaryIsobel – not lame at all!  Apt, I’d say.  I’ve always believed that appliances are inherently evil and know when they are especially needed.  I’ve had stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, etc. fail right before Christmas when we give our big party.  The one year that we did Thanksgiving instead, I thought I’d tricked them all😄.  Then a heavy can fell out of the cabinet above our glass topped stove and shattered it on the Tuesday before the holiday. 😖

@Ann_T – your Yorkies are great looking.

@Margaret Pilgrim – we are craving some red meat.  That lamb would fit us up perfectly!

We have had it with chicken and noodle dishes.  So, last night became take out from our favorite Chinese restaurant.  Hot and Sour soup:

IMG_5205.thumb.jpg.ac5c464d1a0c2dc752090df895b40e2a.jpg

Pork dumplings, egg roll, moo shu pork (sans fungus), and rice:

IMG_5206.jpg.5ba8d66c5c599891226a47bc73b6887b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, scamhi said:

will never again use the air fry feature. The oven came with a large air fry basket and I put a 1/2 sheet pan on the rack below to catch the drippings.  It took me 2+ hours to clean the oven racks and hopefully after 3 hour self clean cycle the oven will be back to normal. Ugh.

I use those copper colored crisper pans. The come with a wire mesh rack and drip tray.  They’re non-stick and clean up pretty easily. I know the finish won’t last forever, but I use them at least once a week and after 3+ years they are still doing fine. I have a medium and a large. 

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

14 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I use those copper colored crisper pans. The come with a wire mesh rack and drip tray.  They’re non-stick and clean up pretty easily. I know the finish won’t last forever, but I use them at least once a week and after 3+ years they are still doing fine. I have a medium and a large. 

the oven came with this mesh basket and I put a 1/2 sheet pan on the rack directly below. the oven was whirlwind of as @heidihsays "aerosolized grease". NEVER AGAIN.  I might use this basket on my charcoal grill for vegetables.

IMG_3903.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I have trouble understanding the whole air frying thing. Proper frying is not bad for anyone. And not greasy. 

The thing is, at least from my perspective, you can reach an age or a state of physical decline where hot oil in any quantity is just a bad idea. Similarly for people who have the patience and the attention span of a gnat. I see air frying as a much safer option.  I gave away my air fryer because the things it did best are not really the things that I like to eat!

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The thing is, at least from my perspective, you can reach an age or a state of physical decline where hot oil in any quantity it’s just a bad idea. Similarly for people who have the patience and the attention span of a gnat. I see air frying has a much safer option.  I gave away my air fryer because the things it did best are not really the things that I like to eat!

But the thing you've gained is perspective... and wisdom.

So you realize that, for instance, air fried potatoes are no match for real French fries (or whatever you call them up there). Air "fried" shrimp vs. fried shrimp? No match. And then that wisdom and perspective tell you that if you can't have real fried shrimp or potatoes, might as well make them in a way where they'll taste even better, and that may be via roasting in duck fat (potatoes) or griddling on a plancha (shrimp). If you get my drift!

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

So you realize that, for instance, air fried potatoes are no match for real French fries (or whatever you call them up there). Air "fried" shrimp vs. fried shrimp? No match. And then that wisdom and perspective tell you that if you can't have real fried shrimp or potatoes, might as well make them in a way where they'll taste even better, and that may be via roasting in duck fat (potatoes) or griddling on a plancha (shrimp). If you get my drift!

Thanks. But you give me too much credit on all counts!

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've pretty much come to this point with the airfryer.  I can fiddle recipes so that the crust browns without drying the meat...and it tastes good..but its not like deep fried in taste.

I still see the appeal though. Oil storage/disposal...oily mess esp if you have no hood...modest risk of fire,  are all an annoyance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1