• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Korean Sweet potatoes, my mistake.  White fleshed variety - absolutely amazing roasted.

And yes, I did!  Typically used for tacos, but I needed a heat element and these called out to me.

Oh I do enjoy the Korean sweet potatoes. To me heartier and more subtle than what we call a sweet potato  in US and available in a variety of Asian focused markets. I have not done my own pickled carrots in a while since a huge can of them is $1 at $1 store and quality is good. When I see shoppers buying the huge 25 or 50 pound carrot bags I always ask "horses or juicing?" Never get a pickle answer ;) Now I have carrot on the brain. 

26 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh I do enjoy the Korean sweet potatoes. To me heartier and more subtle than what we call a sweet potato  in US and available in a variety of Asian focused markets. I have not done my own pickled carrots in a while since a huge can of them is $1 at $1 store and quality is good. When I see shoppers buying the huge 25 or 50 pound carrot bags I always ask "horses or juicing?" Never get a pickle answer ;) Now I have carrot on the brain. 

Us as well.  I also read somewhere that if you freeze them prior to baking you get a superior end product (if you do it whole) - have not tried yet, but will at some point.  Agreed, far superior to the 'orange' sweet potato, IMO. 

I have tried the Mexican pickled carrots in cans, what we can get always seem softer than is my preference (though I am sure your selection is far greater in LA) - plus it's a great way to play with some of my frozen chili's.

Two recent dinners:  Burger, cooked SV then seared, served with sautéed spinach and mushrooms.

burger-mush6.jpg.9c7bf0fea026dc0f32df963b9c6470c4.jpg 

Pork chops, cooked on the PAG and glazed with maple-bourbon, served with sweet potato, and steamed spinach.

pork-chop-sp.jpg.ee74bcdc60231a9f6823d5b0a67a3920.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

crack cabbage tonight. Ground pork, red curry, garlic, onion, onion powder and rice vinegar. I  topped mine with chili crisp and my husband couldn't believe it 

He drank beer and I had cru bojo (2017 Lapierre Morgon "N")

IMG_3858.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

the turkey i bought from a local farm for xmas dinner was so freakin' good that i went and got another one each of the next two weeks and stuck them in the freezer. next year i might buy ten, this was great to sit down to on a weeknight

7E78E978-E271-402A-B427-74D32A7BA862.thumb.jpeg.7d5100043cdb0d2e2a49eafa037e9515.jpeg

spatchcocked, cooked at 425F

skin separated and between the skin and meat i rubbed a compound butter with a metric shedload of smoked pap, plus garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.

edit: pretty smokey, i bet this would make a great carbonara.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, scamhi said:

crack cabbage tonight. Ground pork, red curry, garlic, onion, onion powder and rice vinegar. I  topped mine with chili crisp and my husband couldn't believe it 

Looks great. Why couldn't he believe it Too good? (I won't go into my issue with crack descriptor)

• Thanks 1

It’s been awhile since I’ve made larb, but I had a craving. The limes I had were the unjuiciest ever, but I think it’s still pretty good. And if unjuiciest isn’t a word, it should be!

Pork larb. 

9E21A0FE-B600-4A2E-80FA-20BF240A41FB.jpeg.1dfc0bd0b20172e1d81a230241a070dd.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I have been jonesing for chow fun for quite a while.  There was a vendor in Chinatown who would sell 3 or 4 different types of rice noodles; one could get a sackful for like $2.  But when I went for a walk the other day, she was no longer to be found. Other stores I stopped into led to no success either. So I asked around, and found out a place called Kong Kee sells them, and I took another walk in that direction yesterday...

IMG_3658.thumb.JPG.1a9014439a423966beab1d76aaf1d5ad.JPG

I don't know what those characters translate to in English, but the address matched the one I googled. And sure enough, rice noodles! More expensive than before, but a few bucks netted me about 3 or 4 lbs. of them...

IMG_3659.thumb.jpeg.6a217dafb5fd863918f4d8271c0a15ca.jpeg

As discussed elsewhere, wok hei is not happening too often at home. Now Serious Eats has figured out how to do it, (they call it torch hei) but I'm not in the mood for firing up the torch, and or burning down my apartment. So - I just stir-fried them, with a little beef and greens...

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.f3ebcbbf3dc06100beffef5cea8ca7da.jpeg

They hit the spot.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, jimb0 said:

skin separated and between the skin and meat i rubbed a compound butter with a metric shedload of smoked pap, plus garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.

edit: pretty smokey, i bet this would make a great carbonara.

LOL Okay, now you're just trolling... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, scamhi said:

He drank beer and I had cru bojo (2017 Lapierre Morgon "N")

IMG_3858.jpg

Crack cabbage?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I have been jonesing for chow fun for quite a while.  There was a vendor in Chinatown who would sell 3 or 4 different types of rice noodles; one could get a sackful for like $2.  But when I went for a walk the other day, she was no longer to be found. Other stores I stopped into led to no success either. So I asked around, and found out a place called Kong Kee sells them, and I took another walk in that direction yesterday...

I don't know what those characters translate to in English, but the address matched the one I googled. And sure enough, rice noodles! More expensive than before, but a few bucks netted me about 3 or 4 lbs. of them...

IMG_3659.thumb.jpeg.6a217dafb5fd863918f4d8271c0a15ca.jpeg

As discussed elsewhere, wok hei is not happening too often at home. Now Serious Eats has figured out how to do it, (they call it torch hei) but I'm not in the mood for firing up the torch, and or burning down my apartment. So - I just stir-fried them, with a little beef and greens...

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.f3ebcbbf3dc06100beffef5cea8ca7da.jpeg

They hit the spot.

Ughhh, chinatown walking distance.  Hate you.  How are the public schools down there?  

That wasn't chicken

20 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Ughhh, chinatown walking distance.  Hate you.  How are the public schools down there?  

Probably pretty hard to get into, though I don't really know how it works.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 hours ago, weinoo said:

Do you make the shells?

Nope.  I have tried a couple of times but they always fall apart.  Those are ancient grains ones from Whole Foods.  I forgot the brand name.  Last night, chicken shawarma

shawarma.thumb.jpg.69a2ba82aaf83de12fb6ddcbf32d27a0.jpg

And since some are showing wines now, this syrah to share.  It was good.

henson.thumb.jpg.e8d7f70965e214f8955546812362064a.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

27 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

lard does have a storied history as a pasta add. but outside of the real far north seal is pretty hard to come by

...and Newfoundland. We ate it pretty regularly in winter, though the blubber wasn't something anyone used anymore (in the old days apparently they'd render it for cooking or lighting, but not by the 70s when I lived there).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Had some filling left over from the stuffed mushrooms, so I stuffed some jalapeños.  They were good, but not spicy at ALL.  And I was in the mood for spicy.

thumbnail_IMG_0585.jpg.23c2862cf89b5518003d68e554a0b027.jpg

More muffuletta to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_0586.jpg.699dc6335d78e04cb2b4f51f37406b00.jpg

Made lamb stew again.  I seem to be addicted to this right now.

thumbnail_IMG_0587.jpg.ba15ef781c393b537e65c26182d08545.jpg

Last night, very ugly, but good.  Pork enchiladas, beans and stuffed poblanos.

thumbnail_IMG_0589.jpg.712745c69d36b98a81db620894d23f83.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2