• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

14 hours ago, shain said:

Sharp eye! It is indeed.

It's a local product in my case, the factory is within 10 minutes drive :P

Wow, I never made the connection w Caesarea.  I have vivid memories of visiting the theater on a JNF trip 20yrs ago. Very cool.  Can't wait to tell my shiksa.

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

15 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Agreed.  Bon Appetit got nothing on her!

X2! - If only I had the time to bust out the D600 prior to feeding the horde.

But the horde is hungry, and one must satisfy said hunger lest you feel ( aka; hear) their wrath!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

X2! - If only I had the time to bust out the D600 prior to feeding the horde.

But the horde is hungry, and one must satisfy said hunger lest you feel ( aka; hear) their wrath!

Same, they really *%$# up the shoots! 👶👶  

Remember when food pics were all about restaurant dishes? I can't imagine going back to that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

A dinner I made with leftovers from the care packages that went to the kids.

Black Bean Garlic Beef & Bitter Melon over Ho Fun. Good fresh Ho Fun is hard to find. At our local store, they are packed so tightly and vacuum sealed that they basically crumble when they hit the wok. Now, I use the dried noodles that I hydrate before cooking. They retain a bit of chew and so easy to stir-fry. I love the fresh noodles when I can get into the big city Chinese grocery stores.

560484046_BlkBeanGarlicBeefBittermelonHoFun3299.jpg.35147cee4c6031bfd2ef05df66304916.jpg

Had tofu and bell peppers in the fridge that needed using up. So, it was spicy tofu. ground pork, onions, and peppers in spicy toban sauce. Tossed in some ground up Szechuan peppercorns for that extra zing! 

1076821310_SpicyTofuGroundPork3320.jpg.0a94e5541ae19a40311efc9a8f2e707e.jpg                     

A former colleague is married to a Chinese lady who has not done much Western cooking, like his favourite - lemon meringue pie. They were coming into town for apptns, so I made him a pie last night for pick up today! I only gave them half a pie as his wife is keeping close tabs on his calories!🤪 It helps us out too as we don't want to eat a whole pie!

189775855_LemonMeringuePie3322.jpg.cdd566950514f4cf1bf56bbb6dd515bb.jpg

463409210_LemonMeringuePie3327.jpg.d595cffd07e25def10c23caed6c4ba85.jpg             

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Eatmywords – lovely looking almond cookies!

@Shelby – my left shoulder is damp from Mr. Kim leaning over me and drooling at your muffuletta!  When we went to NOLA, that was the one place that he requested we go.  He’d been there for a business trip and fallen in love with them.   

Dinner last night – salads to start:

IMG_5148.thumb.jpg.72b145e6b37fcffabe3c578dddcfefe8.jpg

Aldi Red Bag Chicken fillets on brioche buns with long grain and wild rice and applesauce:

IMG_5149.thumb.jpg.e4935e4139d5c50090588d51439aeb91.jpg

These are frozen fully cooked boneless breast cutlets.  They are decent for when we want a chicken sandwich without going out or making a mess.  

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Remember when food pics were all about restaurant dishes? I can't imagine going back to that.

I don't see why not...my restaurant pix were just as bad as my home pix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't see why not...my restaurant pix were just as bad as my home pix.

It doesn't matter when they're your children.  Those pretty artichokes and pizzas are your babies!     

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

Whacky Wednesday concoction - avocado, celery, spicy pickled carrots, picked ginger, lemon/evoo, sweet soy and roasted sesame oil.69AC3183-EEE7-4A2E-95F6-A5F3545D9669.thumb.jpeg.43b1c32a619f0145a19dd97c68105145.jpeg

Roasted cauliflower, Korean and russet potatoes, zucchini corn flour patties w/ tahini and pomegranate sauce - accompanied by aforementioned whacky concoction. 

5AB826BC-B216-417B-B9F5-F7F72099D9C3.thumb.jpeg.02c829dd0fc3c4e115fa90a791dea06b.jpeg

Hot sauce not pictured. 

• Like 12

I’ve been anxiously waiting for crawfish to be both reasonably priced and a decent size. We’ve usually had boiled crawfish by this point in crawfish season. The big freeze has not helped. I had to satisfy my envie with frozen, packaged tail meat. But at least they are Louisiana crawfish. 

Crawfish Étouffée 

94AE490B-ABD4-4934-80CC-C015D34A8AAF.jpeg.d6385d7bc387b026a79a9d22b0f53d7a.jpeg

2564FCE9-A486-472F-BEB9-E9F6F6C2CDCF.jpeg.5598ada55ebf494fbde64d2425891678.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

18 minutes ago, patti said:

I’ve been anxiously waiting for crawfish to be both reasonably priced and a decent size. We’ve usually had boiled crawfish by this point in crawfish season. The big freeze has not helped. I had to satisfy my envie with frozen, packaged tail meat. But at least they are Louisiana crawfish. 

Crawfish Étouffée 

94AE490B-ABD4-4934-80CC-C015D34A8AAF.jpeg.d6385d7bc387b026a79a9d22b0f53d7a.jpeg

2564FCE9-A486-472F-BEB9-E9F6F6C2CDCF.jpeg.5598ada55ebf494fbde64d2425891678.jpeg

My step dad is Cajun and now lives in Colorado with my mom--been married for 21 years now.  They (and me) always order fresh crawdads....last year it wasn't feasible.  Hoping to do this year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

My step dad is Cajun and now lives in Colorado with my mom--been married for 21 years now.  They (and me) always order fresh crawdads....last year it wasn't feasible.  Hoping to do this year.

We didn’t buy any live crawfish last season, either. Might have been a first for us. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, patti said:

We didn’t buy any live crawfish last season, either. Might have been a first for us. 

Weird, right??!!  We were at New Roads and watched a Mardi Gras parade..  Anyway...can't wait to get crawdads again.

• Like 2

Crawdads - grew up with them in the 2 local lakes. A curiosity we were too clueless t think about eating them. Ten again water quality probably questionable due to run-off. Are most of the Louisiana ones "farmed" now?  @pattigood lookin dish

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

Crawdads - grew up with them in the 2 local lakes. A curiosity we were too clueless t think about eating them. Ten again water quality probably questionable due to run-off. Are most of the Louisiana ones "farmed" now?  @pattigood lookin dish

The season for wild caught doesn’t usually start until March and farmed sometimes starts before Christmas. The vast majority of Louisiana crawfish are farmed. Although some people look down on farmed crawfish, I don’t. You don’t need to hear my opinions on that, though!

And thanks. 

• Like 1

You won't find a recipe for this in any Sichuan cookbook, but it is replete with Sichuan flavours and attitude. Not for the faint hearted.

20210225_192826.thumb.jpg.d2661b2af68cc05b6697c87747da208b.jpg

Prawns with asparagus, garlic, ginger, green Sichuan peppercorns, fresh green chilli, dried red chilli, doubanjiang and scallions. Rice.

20210225_192839.thumb.jpg.f803ea5d2b82ce38fd1b329654160277.jpg

The three dried chillies on the rice are meant to read (chuān) as in 四川 (sì chuān) which is a common abbreviation for the province.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fuchsia Dunlop's Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook was deshelfed last night...

1280819892_ShrimpwithgreensHunanstyle02-24.thumb.jpeg.6d8b3ba9d28ccc58297f3f3645fd3705.jpeg

So Hunan "style" shrimp (wild gulf previously frozen) with choy sum and snow peas, over noodles in a bit of broth.

Shrimp and greens over noodles, Hunan style 02-24.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, heidih said:

@TicTac Korean potatoes?  Do you pickle your own carrots?

Korean Sweet potatoes, my mistake.  White fleshed variety - absolutely amazing roasted.

And yes, I did!  Typically used for tacos, but I needed a heat element and these called out to me.