• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@scamhi, what a lovely dinner and wines. 

Made Moe one of his favourite steaks for dinner tonight.

Green Peppercorn Steak.

Served with sauted mushrooms, steamed broccoli and Fondant Potatoes.

Great combination! Fondant potatoes - did a goggle and will have to try these. They look delicious!

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Man, I was so close to this option last night as well.  I ended up making donabe rice with ginger, hijiki, Alaskan salmon and halibut (both taken out of the freezer).

Sounds like you fared very well!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Light meal....tostadas topped with grilled/charred zucchini strips, goat cheese and a few hefty splashes of Cholula hot sauce.  Cholula is made here in Chapala; recently sold to a conglomerate.  Hope the quality stays up there.

zucch.jpg

chol.jpg

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Light meal....tostadas topped with grilled/charred zucchini strips, goat cheese and a few hefty splashes of Cholula hot sauce.  Cholula is made here in Chapala; recently sold to a conglomerate.  Hope the quality stays up there.

Cool it is your hometown hot sauce. I was always seduced by the wooden cap and label art. Since it is inexpensive I'm thinking the quality will remain steady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CantCookStillTry – Happy Birthday to your son!  Cheesy bread looks like something I need in my life.  What does it involve?  Your husband’s smoked meat looks fantastic.  And I’m with you on hating the prep for DIY tacos.  In fact, I detest prepping for any dish that needs a pile of “fixings” – tacos, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.  I love the foods themselves, but find the prep tedious.  Also, your pies are full-stop gorgeous and I’d love to have one in front of me right now!

TicTak – Happy birthday to your son, too!  And welcome to the wonderful addition to your family.

Liams – your chicken piccata looks lovely.  Great color on the chicken!  And the bratwurst meal was absolute perfection. 

Mr. Kim made really good chicken noodle soup Sunday night:

IMG_5128.jpg.08a946207b74403eebbe165ecf649a31.jpg

He used one of my least favorite pasta shapes and I still loved it!  We also had some of the bread machine bread that I made:

IMG_5126.jpg.00d50fa9e19c3e73ace6c407803fdf25.jpg

I even made cocktails:

IMG_5131.thumb.jpg.8e2523504e9160add64a3f223a1e214d.jpg

Not lime Kool-Aid, but Midori, Triple Sec, Elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice.  Pretty tasty.

Mr. Kim’s mom sent some lasagna over to us last night:

IMG_5136.jpg.25b7f42e0ca367e42f010ab13e5375a1.jpg

Unfortunately, it was infected with some kind of fungus, so only Mr. Kim ate it😁.  I  had some beanie-weenie:

IMG_5137.jpg.45f7f3b0d57ee1ff0024c2596e03ebb6.jpg

Which I should have added some broth to.  While tasty, it was very dry.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

We took a crack at Vietnamese spring summer rolls. The wrappers were sticky and not the easiest to handle but we got the hang - shrimp, rice noodles, romaine carrot, cilantro w Nuoc cham sweet fish sc (as opposed to the typical peanut sc) - fish sc, rice vinegar, garlic, sweet chili sc, lemon juice, water, sugar, carrot.  The roll is a bit bland on it's own.  The sweet and savory of the sc really makes it work. 

Sumr1.thumb.jpg.d60c2fcf2ef6828633b370762f04edf7.jpg

Sumr2.thumb.jpg.be59376b0abcce613a67b6761ad7d986.jpg

Viet influenced Turmeric thighs.  Marinated a few hrs with turmeric, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 5 spice, lemon juice, sugar, fish sauce, peanut oil and cooked on a cast iron grill pan.  Seriously good and tender.

Sumr3.thumb.jpg.d3318880e91130f6b2191dd273017180.jpg

Almond cookies w a dark drizzle.  As good as they looked.

Sumr4.thumb.jpg.614fa507712c4882b186efe64fc12d35.jpg

@shainI think we have the same countertops - caesarstone pebble? 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 7

That wasn't chicken

11 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

We took a crack at Vietnamese spring summer rolls. The wrappers were sticky and not the easiest to handle but we got the hang - shrimp, rice noodles, romaine carrot, cilantro w Nuoc cham sweet fish sc (as opposed to the typical peanut sc) - fish sc, rice vinegar, garlic, sweet chili sc, lemon juice, water, sugar, carrot.  The roll is a bit bland on it's own.  The sweet and savory of the sc really makes it work. 

Sumr1.thumb.jpg.d60c2fcf2ef6828633b370762f04edf7.jpg

Sumr2.thumb.jpg.be59376b0abcce613a67b6761ad7d986.jpg

Viet influenced Turmeric thighs.  Marinated a few hrs with turmeric, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 5 spice, lemon juice, sugar, fish sauce, peanut oil and cooked on a cast iron grill pan.  Seriously good and tender.

Sumr3.thumb.jpg.d3318880e91130f6b2191dd273017180.jpg

Almond cookies w a dark drizzle.  As good as they looked.

Sumr4.thumb.jpg.614fa507712c4882b186efe64fc12d35.jpg

@shainI think we have the same countertops - caesarstone pebble? 

Might I suggest a few things about the summer rolls?  While it varies from region to region in Vietnam, I really like a classic Southern style lime juice, raw garlic, fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, chilli dipping sauce.  Some places in Central vietnam would make a dipping sauce basically of raw garlic and fish sauce. Others were just fish sauce and black pepper.  I also like to add some vermicelli rice noodles to the summer rolls (which is quite common) and also a bunch of herbs.  In Saigon, the best summer rolls I had had a whole bunch of herbs tucked in there... thai basil, rau ram (aka laksa leaf), garlic chives, sawtooth coriander, mint...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Might I suggest a few things about the summer rolls?  While it varies from region to region in Vietnam, I really like a classic Southern style lime juice, raw garlic, fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, chilli dipping sauce.  Some places in Central vietnam would make a dipping sauce basically of raw garlic and fish sauce. Others were just fish sauce and black pepper.  I also like to add some vermicelli rice noodles to the summer rolls (which is quite common) and also a bunch of herbs.  In Saigon, the best summer rolls I had had a whole bunch of herbs tucked in there... thai basil, rau ram (aka laksa leaf), garlic chives, sawtooth coriander, mint...

Thx Ken, sorry I meant vermicelli instead of rice noodles.  We would've included more typical ingreds if I wasn't so lazy to go to the store (had lemon, no lime, had cilantro, no mint or other herbs, fresh chilies, etc).  The southern style is what we were going for.  We spent a month in Vietnam so I totally hear you. 👍    

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

16 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

We spent a month in Vietnam so I totally hear you. 👍    

🤩🤩🤩 Wow!!!  Now I'm totally jealous!

We would've included more typical ingreds if I wasn't so lazy to go to the store (had lemon, no lime, had cilantro, no mint or other herbs, fresh chilies, etc)

That's why I grow my own...  once we move, I'll get started growing a chilli plant....

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That's why I grow my own...  once we move, I'll get started growing a chilli plant....

Don't be too jealous, it's over 10yrs now.  Everyone should get there once in their life.  My herbs are covered in snow including the mint w grows wild around the house.  The pups and kids make indoor herb growing a real challenge.  Have to figure that out.

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

47 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Check out Aurora peppers when you do.  One of my favourites and they look really neat too (little white things that turn purple, then red) and have a fantastic flavor profile.

Those and Serrano's are my go-to's

I have one Aurora plant under burlap and a plastic tub over winter, read somewhere that they can, potentially - continue growing next year - we shall see.  If not, I got seeds!

• Like 2

SO many great meals.  Happy Birthdays to those that had them :) .

@Eatmywordsthose rolls look great.  It's been a long time since I've made any.  Will have to do so soon.

Better late than never.  Got my muffuletta.  OH did it hit the spot.  I can replicate the meats, cheeses and olive salad, but the bread.  Nope.  I can't.  It's crisp on the outside...not so much that it's difficult to bite, just enough...and soft on the inside, but not too soft.  Some of the best deviled eggs I've made in a while.  Don't know what I did different.

thumbnail_IMG_0570.jpg.b8193ea2d69a52461c4387bfa2c779f8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0571.jpg.daee458c74a88476bb60f8dfd6d3f17c.jpg

Mom got me those cute masks on toothpicks :)  

thumbnail_IMG_0573.jpg.5bd5ae219a9081dc2d6f74e46dec30f7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0574.jpg.634554edbd1c4c0f1c0399cd44855fba.jpg

Next night I had some portobello mushroom caps that needed to be used.  They were quite flat so I put them in ramekins and stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, diced spicy pepperoni, parm. cheese and a bit of spinach.

thumbnail_IMG_0579.jpg.8a2b5e03b775d18d938bde5aeb4f8bb7.jpg

Pepperoni and Canadian bacon pizza to go with

thumbnail_IMG_0580.jpg.16e8e215a1c2848388987525dbf5a6c3.jpg

Next was pork belly that failed to get the skin the way I wanted (again).  Don't know why.  I did it the same way.  It just wouldn't poof up and get crackly.  Still tasted good with drunken noodles.  

thumbnail_IMG_0581.jpg.5fe9e81257ae6d602d0b0dbf771f527a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0582.jpg.6d19d70afde07d251cd9a272033bc605.jpg

Roasted some chicken quarters last night

thumbnail_IMG_0584.jpg.6edbdaf05a12eb86d1834ef868569849.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Don't be too jealous, it's over 10yrs now.  Everyone should get there once in their life. 

I agree - I've been there on 3 different trips and the 4th (to the Delta area) was originally planned to be during this past December... It's one of my favorite countries to visit... oh well...

11 hours ago, Dejah said:

I am pretty sure 2 of my granddaughters are named after characters from Firefly as both sets of parents are big fans. Our oldest granddaughter is Inara Jane (Jane for Tarzan's mate as my husband is a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs fan (creator of Tarzan and John Carter of Mars)and maintains the company's website ERBzine.com .
Our youngest granddaughter is River Jade Galaxy. She's the one kidlet who would appreciate everything in the care package!

@Shelby: You noticed all the seafood I had in my paella. 😋 I don't have your option of having seafood shipped in, but the frozen works well, and I am able to access them readily in town. I got tired of picking fresh clams and mussels in the store only to have half dead by the time I am ready to make supper.

The kids and kidlets enjoyed the food in the care packages. It was a joy to see them - albeit outside and no real hugs and kisses. Thank goodness the polar vortex moved on. It was 5C!

I did a LOT of shopping in Chinatown in Winnipeg - happily tired after unloading the car.

Was glad I picked up the fresh rice rolls AND Ong Choy - water spinach. These are two favourite foods and made for a quick supper after we got home.

I pan fried the  rice rolls and sprinkled on sweet soy sauce at the end. Ong choy was stir-fried then stirred in a couple of cube of Fuyu - fermented tofu. Added a quick stir dry of beef and supper was on the plate!

1696710703_RiceRollsOngChoy3311.jpg.645605f340418dd353a32bb9bbc0ec1e.jpg

We had lunch while shopping at Costco. Due to Covid, their seating area is closed, but we had to have their $1.50 hot dog and drink. We love their Polish Sausages, but had to miss out on the diced onions this time. Picked up fries too and we ate lunch in the car. I did pick up packages of the sausages for home. Divided the 15 up into bundles of 3 and froze for future lunches. They are hard to find once BBQ season starts in earnest!

844469846_CostcoHotDogs3281.jpg.774241fa3756303cc58b7ab8f4c90415.jpg

Always pleased to meet a fellow browncoat.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou