• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

this is dinner Saturday night with another couple

an heirloom tomato salad with burrata and fresh basil with white burgundy

@Ann_T greek ribs. cooked over charcoal

with roasted cauliflower with parm and herbs and Labne with sizzled herbs and cili flakes (Alison Roman recipe)

classic Chambolle

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

Edited by scamhi (log)
  • Like 21
  • Delicious 4

Grilled steaks and baked potatoes. Sliced cucumbers not shown. Mostly because I chose a plate that was too small. 🤪

EE58B313-5F4B-4F6A-82B4-4252CA63018F.jpeg.1fdb4eb2148b5a3bd39d54c3ed930489.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 16

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

20 hours ago, TicTac said:

Happy birthday to you and your little one!  Good timing on different continents- my ‘big’ man turns 8 tomorrow so this weekend was all his request - sadly in Canada still under lockdown no parties so we try to make him feel as special as we can by obliging to his special requests...

Happiest of Birthdays! 2013 was a good year for both of us! 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)

I don't often play with pastry, climates just wrong. But the final battle in the epic war against Christmas Hams came down to leek and ham pies. Not going to lie, did not bother with sides. 

Filling. Ham, leek, onion, wholegrain mustard, creme freche or however you spell it. 

20210222_195608.thumb.jpg.c6fcc1085eace4c81f461b381249759f.jpg

Pie. 

20210214_113339.thumb.jpg.174cce59a54077773f0849aab4bbae7e.jpg

We went back up to 42c today as some kind of final (hopefully) f you guys from Summer. Not really pie weather 😂🥵

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Reading a lot of Olney lately. Beard, Child, Pepin too.

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

All four of them are on my "active" shelf

Back to basics - good, solid cooking and only a bit fancy at times. Not a circulator, anova, paco jet, anti-griddle, etc. in the lot of 'em! How the fuck did they manage?!

Though if Jim were still alive, he'd probably be all over it.  As he was with this...

2038483000_PamphletBeardCuisinart.thumb.jpeg.cfcf0571e7b63d162ec09fd5c182d63e.jpeg

He actually loved the toys.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Back to basics - good, solid cooking and only a bit fancy at times. Not a circulator, anova, paco jet, anti-griddle, etc. in the lot of 'em! How the fuck did they manage?!

Though if Jim were still alive, he'd probably be all over it.  As he was with this...

He actually loved the toys.

Yup. Those who cooked before the labor-saving devices really appreciated the saving in labor.

For Canadians of a given age our homegrown equivalent to Beard or Julia was Mme. Benoit, who popularized cookery that went beyond the stodgy meat-and-two of the day. I have a copy of her vintage 1970s cookbook for microwave ovens, and in the intro she rhapsodizes about its speed and efficiency relative to the wood-fired cookstoves of her youth.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I have several 6 oz burgers patties ready to grill

Son’s 34th birthday.  Hand cut fries ready for the oven.  

Burger and fries, what’s not to like.  Will please every one except a vegetarian which will not be in attendance 

Another well timed execution!  Happy birthday!! 

We continued celebrations (seems more like Greek wedding celebrations than an 8 year olds birthday!) with requested (similar tastes scuba!?) cheese burgers.  Ground ribeye and chuck -

29869276-ACA5-4B44-9F08-1F0314997302.thumb.jpeg.106e5ecda8dcd10208f998a0e004ddc4.jpeg

For me however if I’m consuming red meat, I’ll take a true ribeye please!  This one is an 8 week aged from Cumbraes; deckle end.

41EA6DD4-47F9-4684-B1DD-29A172261448.thumb.jpeg.04dc225c80356fde029ffa98cdc4f9a5.jpeg

Fantastic Zinfandel 

B096A8A2-68DB-439E-A037-7FAF55224610.thumb.jpeg.16bec24df2fd2a98ed1b19165275a393.jpeg

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have a copy of her vintage 1970s cookbook for microwave ovens, and in the intro she rhapsodizes about its speed and efficiency relative to the wood-fired cookstoves of her youth.

So funny, because in the biography of Beard I just finished, it tells of how he could never figure out the microwave, and didn't use it at all!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

So funny, because in the biography of Beard I just finished, it tells of how he could never figure out the microwave, and didn't use it at all!

Smart man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Charlie made dinner tonight.  I told him I was going to the Korean grocery because we needed rice and fresh kimchi.  He told me not to throw out the old kimchi because he wanted to make stew with it.  His best friend from high school had made some when he visited last and gave him the recipe. He gave me a shopping list that included Dasida ( seasoning blend) tofu and lite Spam. It was very spicy. I also picked up some frozen, ready to cook spicy pork bulgogi.

20210222_173854.jpg

• Like 15

Truly a clean out dinner. Had a couple of eggplants from last week that needed to be used (one turned out to be bad, as it happened). Made a vegetarian sort of moussaka casserole with one eggplant and lentils, but instead of bechemel (lazy) I drizzled some heavy cream (fridge leftover) over the eggplant layers and scattered crumbled feta over. Worked fine (tastewise), if a bit looser than it should have been. From the freezer, a pack of vegan fish cakes (Thai flavor) which were pan fried. They did get fish flake texture, it was interesting but I probably won’t buy them again.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

After an hour of mentally debating what to make for dinner, I decided to order delivery. While I was debating where to order from, my son called. He thought I should try the delivery service he prefers, so then I debated which delivery service was a better choice.

Whew. Too much effort. When in doubt, stick with what you know. 

Pork vermicelli bowl. 

AFE7AB9B-FC3A-46AE-9505-6231C19DF850.jpeg.05a699f615269ac5d1b0394c6b399bad.jpeg

6896B070-BC22-44C1-A492-04D7B515319A.jpeg.60e04c8980ca1cd233fa7fb6adb7caee.jpeg

I also ordered some pho for tomorrow’s lunch. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

10 hours ago, patti said:

After an hour of mentally debating what to make for dinner, I decided to order delivery.

Man, I was so close to this option last night as well.  I ended up making donabe rice with ginger, hijiki, Alaskan salmon and halibut (both taken out of the freezer).

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 2/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is River named after River Tam?

I am pretty sure 2 of my granddaughters are named after characters from Firefly as both sets of parents are big fans. Our oldest granddaughter is Inara Jane (Jane for Tarzan's mate as my husband is a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs fan (creator of Tarzan and John Carter of Mars)and maintains the company's website ERBzine.com .
Our youngest granddaughter is River Jade Galaxy. She's the one kidlet who would appreciate everything in the care package!

@Shelby: You noticed all the seafood I had in my paella. 😋 I don't have your option of having seafood shipped in, but the frozen works well, and I am able to access them readily in town. I got tired of picking fresh clams and mussels in the store only to have half dead by the time I am ready to make supper.

The kids and kidlets enjoyed the food in the care packages. It was a joy to see them - albeit outside and no real hugs and kisses. Thank goodness the polar vortex moved on. It was 5C!

I did a LOT of shopping in Chinatown in Winnipeg - happily tired after unloading the car.

Was glad I picked up the fresh rice rolls AND Ong Choy - water spinach. These are two favourite foods and made for a quick supper after we got home.

I pan fried the  rice rolls and sprinkled on sweet soy sauce at the end. Ong choy was stir-fried then stirred in a couple of cube of Fuyu - fermented tofu. Added a quick stir dry of beef and supper was on the plate!

1696710703_RiceRollsOngChoy3311.jpg.645605f340418dd353a32bb9bbc0ec1e.jpg

We had lunch while shopping at Costco. Due to Covid, their seating area is closed, but we had to have their $1.50 hot dog and drink. We love their Polish Sausages, but had to miss out on the diced onions this time. Picked up fries too and we ate lunch in the car. I did pick up packages of the sausages for home. Divided the 15 up into bundles of 3 and froze for future lunches. They are hard to find once BBQ season starts in earnest!

844469846_CostcoHotDogs3281.jpg.774241fa3756303cc58b7ab8f4c90415.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com