• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, weinoo said:

By the way, I've seen a similar vessel (Chinese sandy pot) being used over some pretty high flames.

Yes. I've been using this sand pot (沙锅 - shā guō) for over ten years now.

claypot.jpg

I got through a few before I worked out how to look after them. No sudden changes, as you say, though they do take a high flame when asked to. That said, for most applications I use medium heat.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tchoulent. Mixed chickpeas and beans. Lots of caramelized onion, mushroom, potatoes, carrots, kohlrabi,  turnip. Wheat berries, eggs. Plenty of spices.

I decided to try various "meat substitutes", though I don't like thinking of them as such - rather I see them as ingredients good in absorbing flavor, and some textures. The three i added are tofu and seitan - which I often use, and TVP, which I rarely do. The tofu is my favorite texture wise, the seitan absorbed more flavor and has a nice chew, but is a bit dry, the TVP absorbed a lot of juices which release when biting it, but tough the long cooking tenderized it, the texture is still not my favorite - That said, I might still include it for variation next time.

Simple salad, cucumbers, radish, dill. Vinegar, cold pressed sunflower oil, caraway, pepper.

Served with pickles, wine, some crisp warm bread.

PXL_20210116_111647447.thumb.jpg.f37bad9230f440be858f80bc9f9f9899.jpgPXL_20210116_110834308.thumb.jpg.8a8e03dd24de2a0ab6198c12fc6b746b.jpg

PXL_20210116_105840036.jpg

PXL_20210116_111951551.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. I've been using this sand pot (沙锅 - shā guō) for over ten years now.

I got through a few before I worked out how to look after them. No sudden changes, as you say, though they do take a high flame when asked to. That said, for most applications I use medium heat.

There was a restaurant here (A-Wah - rip) with the specialty being their sand pot rice dishes. As a matter of fact, when they delivered, they actually delivered in the 沙锅 - shā guō. One could accumulate a fair number of these if one so wished, but I would always return the last one I got upon the next delivery.

Sometimes I would just walk a couple of blocks to the restaurant and have lunch there. Imagine my surprise when I see literally 20 of their pots all cooking away over what certainly would qualify as a high flame! I guess they got them so cheaply it didn't matter if a few broke here and there!

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

they actually delivered in the 沙锅 - shā guō. One could accumulate a fair number of these if one so wished

That's how I got mine! I've never specifically bought one. They are dirt cheap and the restaurants just factor the cost into the general overheads. In bulk, they are less than 1元 each (USD $0.15).

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

51 minutes ago, shain said:

"meat substitutes", though I don't like thinking of them as such -

If I ate at your house I might happily go vegetarian. Your variety and your flavor combinations are wonderful. I'm glad to see your take on the "meat substitutes". I have never quite understood them because they definitely are not and some of the attempts border on the ridiculous. We even have a brand of frozen prepared dinners down here called Chick'n NO Chicken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At my parents place - German Abendbrot.

Rye bread with oats & sunflower seeds, rye rolls with mixed seeds.

26FCFE78-91A7-4CAB-9958-CF53F69A9C1F.thumb.jpeg.ab7bc6ba104f7ce4b860883f10dca0ea.jpeg

A couple of cold cuts and cheeses. For me the most important one being these: aged Schwartenwurst, aged Kopfwurst, fresh Schwartenwurst and Fleischsalat.

5DDDD512-539A-42F0-A30B-37E09D043350.thumb.jpeg.670ac26b42537b6d933cb64c5787618e.jpeg

Rye, a generous helping of butter and traditional sausage. Plus beer. That’s home 🤗

D13CC682-1A3F-406C-B961-6B7A88D3E303.thumb.jpeg.28f8e7c0705a9844cc3f659a3ce5e8a2.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Schwartenwurst, aged Kopfwurst, fresh Schwartenwurst

Oh boy, does that bring back memories! German sausage is something that I really missed because it is non-existent in Costa Rica. The area where I grew up was predominantly German and we had the best sausage maker in the state. Oscar was kind of a character and a jack of all trades. He was the town plumber and fixed all the windmills in the area. Whenever any of the farms had anything to butcher, they called Oscar. He was often at our farm but we were never allowed to go anywhere near him. He talked to himself constantly and used a few words that our mother did not want us to add to our vocabulary. He did have a shop in town where he made and repaired harnesses and repaired shoes. It was also where he made sausage and he had a Smokehouse in back. There were always lots of sausages hanging from the ceiling of the shop. I can never smell fresh leather without associating it with the smell of German sausage and I sure do miss it.

My favorite thing of all was a fresh, raw liver sausage that was made into patties and fried for breakfast. I've never seen it anywhere since and I've tried to duplicate it for years. I've never even come close. Some of your posts are sheer torture for me, but I look forward to all of them.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

There was a restaurant here (A-Wah - rip) with the specialty being their sand pot rice dishes. As a matter of fact, when they delivered, they actually delivered in the 沙锅 - shā guō. One could accumulate a fair number of these if one so wished, but I would always return the last one I got upon the next delivery.

Sometimes I would just walk a couple of blocks to the restaurant and have lunch there. Imagine my surprise when I see literally 20 of their pots all cooking away over what certainly would qualify as a high flame! I guess they got them so cheaply it didn't matter if a few broke here and there!

One of our favourite sand pot dishes is salty fish. chicken, tofu, and rice.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I believe there was a thread called "Regrettable Dinners". This one was in terms of appearance, but actually, tasted not bad.

It's one of Jamie Oliver's Quick and Easy 5 ingredients meals - Gnarly Peanut Chicken - a riff on Chicken Satay.

We enjoyed the lime, chili, and chunky peanut butter, but if I make it again. I would really thin down the sauce (chunky peanut butter, lime juice, red chilis)and do a heavy drizzle rather than a slather.

What attracted my attention was the crisscross scoring on the chicken breast. It looked pretty when seared, and took in all the flavours. It also cooked quickly.

1174188016_GnarlyPeanutChicken3285.jpg.dbc8b0b4e93a4c1114f52cc666198ca9.jpg

Cumin Lamb Stir-fry with Cardamom Basmati rice.

1369095417_CuminLamb3219.jpg.3b8fffeab2bfc374935014258610a189.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Duvel

nice 

always SuperNice 1

anf watt id tis ?

nnnnn.thumb.jpg.9092ba9ebbb3aa994fad5d92aebff442.jpg

Ill take a gallon , or 6 Literw

which ever is more !

many thanked\s for all your

and so many others

I have ideas

afer i get Vaxx'd x 2

w a booster every 6 Mths

why not look a bit ahead ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Fleischsalat

I'm with @rotuts. I already know what it is but I would like to know how to make it. I looked up a recipe on the internet and they said if I couldn't get the German ingredients, forget it. Do you think it would be possible to get a good flavor with local ingredients? And would you share a recipe? It looks delicious and it looks like something that I remember that my grandmother used to make. She also used to make the big, fat, soft pretzels every Saturday. I sure wish I had some now.

Please don't post any pictures of those oh, I don't think that I could take it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

nice 

always SuperNice 1

anf watt id tis ?

nnnnn.thumb.jpg.9092ba9ebbb3aa994fad5d92aebff442.jpg

Ill take a gallon , or 6 Literw

which ever is more !

many thanked\s for all your

and so many others

I have ideas

afer i get Vaxx'd x 2

w a booster every 6 Mths

why not look a bit ahead ?

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm with @rotuts. I already know what it is but I would like to know how to make it. I looked up a recipe on the internet and they said if I couldn't get the German ingredients, forget it. Do you think it would be possible to get a good flavor with local ingredients? And would you share a recipe? It looks delicious and it looks like something that I remember that my grandmother used to make. She also used to make the big, fat, soft pretzels every Saturday. I sure wish I had some now.

I am also a fan of this.  I drool over it every time he posts.  WANT.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I am also a fan of this.  I drool over it every time he posts.  WANT.

To me not  flavor bomb - just comfort food - creamy, pickly, mayo, cold cut goodness. Beige image not worth it. I get it from this place. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/138482-eg-foodblog-heidih-2011-a-slice-of-life-in-the-south-bay-of-los-a/?do=findComment&comment=1812212

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Have not seen our kids or kidlets in Winnipeg (3 hour drive) for many months other than on zoom. Will head in tomorrow for an early Monday morning appointment.
Kids hinted for a care package of Ma-Mah's comfort food. I made up wonton filling and froze it in packages to take in so they can make them when they want a feed. The filling has ground pork, shrimp, and waterrchestnut, so it's a tad fancier than usual.

Today, I did up 5 dishes, using lots of fermented black beans, garlic, etc, which the kids love:

Black bean Garlic Beef & Bitter Melon for daughter and son 812879359_BlackBeanGarlicBeefBittermelon3295.jpg.37bcb8b6822da5e2da99fbe216b4efd3.jpg

Black bean garlic Beef & Bell Peppers for s-i-l and d-i-l who do NOT like bitter melon🤪

25561585_BlkBeanGarlicBeefBellPeppers3292.jpg.03c66ca48b0b675dc6a6a30a1bef2d38.jpg

Gai Lan and Ho fun for our 13-year-old vegetarian granddaughter. The same with added beef for the carnivores

479765382_HoFun2ways3290.jpg.d31c7739283f175b68e611e26e5fbc1c.jpg

Steamed Black bean Garlic Pork Ribs for all carnivores

1125164474_SteamedBlackBeanGarlicRibs3288.jpg.c27aa94c37ddaf095030b787fe22f460.jpg

And Cantonese Shrimp Chow Mein for the youngest kidlet, 7 year old River who loves everything! She's the most adventurist of our 5 grandchildren. I also have 6 packets of Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaf for her - her favourite dim sum                                      

1526309979_CantoneseShrimpChowMein3296.jpg.075565ec2a0fae77f534ab0056eceb43.jpg 

For our supper, we'll have bits of this and bits of that which wouldn't fit into the containers!

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

creamy grits made from some old popcorn i found and ground up in the vitamix, 

Well that was a clever save! Did you think it up or had you seen it elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well that was a clever save! Did you think it up or had you seen it elsewhere?

it was unpopped so i don’t think i get much credit for creativity, haha. with that said it did make me wonder and so i googled after the fact and it’s apparently totally a hip thing to do with the popped stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Have not seen our kids or kidlets in Winnipeg (3 hour drive) for many months other than on zoom. Will head in tomorrow for an early Monday morning appointment.
Kids hinted for a care package of Ma-Mah's comfort food. I made up wonton filling and froze it in packages to take in so they can make them when they want a feed. The filling has ground pork, shrimp, and waterrchestnut, so it's a tad fancier than usual.

Today, I did up 5 dishes, using lots of fermented black beans, garlic, etc, which the kids love:

Black bean Garlic Beef & Bitter Melon for daughter and son 812879359_BlackBeanGarlicBeefBittermelon3295.jpg.37bcb8b6822da5e2da99fbe216b4efd3.jpg

Black bean garlic Beef & Bell Peppers for s-i-l and d-i-l who do NOT like bitter melon🤪

25561585_BlkBeanGarlicBeefBellPeppers3292.jpg.03c66ca48b0b675dc6a6a30a1bef2d38.jpg

Gai Lan and Ho fun for our 13-year-old vegetarian granddaughter. The same with added beef for the carnivores

479765382_HoFun2ways3290.jpg.d31c7739283f175b68e611e26e5fbc1c.jpg

Steamed Black bean Garlic Pork Ribs for all carnivores

1125164474_SteamedBlackBeanGarlicRibs3288.jpg.c27aa94c37ddaf095030b787fe22f460.jpg

And Cantonese Shrimp Chow Mein for the youngest kidlet, 7 year old River who loves everything! She's the most adventurist of our 5 grandchildren. I also have 6 packets of Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaf for her - her favourite dim sum                                      

1526309979_CantoneseShrimpChowMein3296.jpg.075565ec2a0fae77f534ab0056eceb43.jpg 

For our supper, we'll have bits of this and bits of that which wouldn't fit into the containers!

Is River named after River Tam?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou