• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Everything looks great, but if it's not too much work, could you post your recipe for barbeque shrimp in RecipeGullet?

Done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

The Polar Vortex has finally snapped! Last night was only -20C. Today, we are heading to -15C!

So may be, we won't need to add the oven heat to warm both the kitchen and us.

Had a chuck roast ready to use along with a large daikon.

Cantonese Instant Pot Braised Beef with Daikon.

Too lean and not enough chewy bits, but it was lovely over Jasmine rice. My favourite part -  the chunks of daikon!

2010239258_BraisedBeefDaikon3277.jpg.75c69155bcab7fc017169d3329b615b2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

15 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Maybe apocryphal, but I was told that LA BBQ shrimp originated as a quick one-pan dish on the shrimp boats.

But the butter - on a shrimp boat in that climate!.I first saw it mentioned eons ago in Gourmet in an article about tax time indulgence. I get the crusty bread and the flavorful butter but the butter/shrimp ratio kept me away - not out of butter fear but lost crustacean flavor question. Perhaps I need to open myself to a new experience. 

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

But the butter - on a shrimp boat in that climate!.I first saw it mentioned eons ago in Gourmet in an article about tax time indulgence. I get the crusty bread and the flavorful butter but the butter/shrimp ratio kept me away - not out of butter fear but lost crustacean flavor question. Perhaps I need to open myself to a new experience. 

Well, there must be plenty of ice on a shrimp boat, no? So keeping the butter cold might not be an issue. But I agree about the butter/shrimp ratio. I've made some version of the BBQ shrimp many times but never with a cow's worth of butter like that.

Butcher had pork neck on offer ... got a nice 2 kg piece to play with.

4709F1D4-B774-4679-8ACE-297DD2037C3F.thumb.jpeg.1f6475e9866d835d2cbca675af881e87.jpeg

Cut it open to make a roulade, filled with a mash of salt, garlic, anchovies and rosemary. Rolled up, rubbed with fish sauce and roasted to a core temperature of 62 oC ...

FDE41F5E-5B5B-40C2-808D-514BCF23DACF.thumb.jpeg.a43d8b6d5e0faba2bfa3b59e4becee4f.jpeg

Served with roasted potatoes (same pan) and a sauce made from roasted onions (still same pan, pan juices and two tablespoons of Boursin). Yummy !

ACA33EC5-041B-4D40-8FC8-2FBD40266025.thumb.jpeg.48eae91fd4744dc3f01fe0fb39550665.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

4709F1D4-B774-4679-8ACE-297DD2037C3F.thumb.jpeg.1f6475e9866d835d2cbca675af881e87.jpeg

That is a lovely piece of neck. I only get pork neck bones. Meaty but not a single big piece like what you show.  If you think about the pig's profile the neck and all that rooting around surely leads to a hefty flavorful cut. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Maybe apocryphal, but I was told that LA BBQ shrimp originated as a quick one-pan dish on the shrimp boats.

I was pretty sure it started in a New Orleans restaurant, and an article about the restaurant Pascal’s Manale says that it originated there, in 1953. It seems that the original recipe used olive oil, not butter! 

BBQ Shrimp & Pascal’s Manale

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

The recipe calls for three sticks of butter, which I found excessive, so I only used 2 1/3 sticks. 😁

• Haha 6

I picked out three chicken wing recipes that I thought looked good.  Charlie narrowed it down to two.  We had one about a week ago. It was a Korean style.  Today it was one with a cherry glaze.  We had mac and cheese with it

20210218_170539.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Cut it open to make a roulade, filled with a mash of salt, garlic, anchovies and rosemary. Rolled up, rubbed with fish sauce and roasted to a core temperature of 62 oC ...

FDE41F5E-5B5B-40C2-808D-514BCF23DACF.thumb.jpeg.a43d8b6d5e0faba2bfa3b59e4becee4f.jpeg

Served with roasted potatoes (same pan) and a sauce made from roasted onions (still same pan, pan juices and two tablespoons of Boursin). Yummy !

ACA33EC5-041B-4D40-8FC8-2FBD40266025.thumb.jpeg.48eae91fd4744dc3f01fe0fb39550665.jpeg

Opening, seasoning and rolling butcher cuts is a brilliant move.     Lovely.

eGullet member #80.

34 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I picked out three chicken wing recipes that I thought looked good.  Charlie narrowed it down to two.  We had one about a week ago. It was a Korean style.  Today it was one with a cherry glaze.  We had mac and cheese with it

20210218_170539.jpg

Nice looking. Is the cherry element a preserve? I stumbled on some discounted Cherry Bonne Maman at Kroger - just the right tartness and sneak it into lots of dishes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dejah said:

Cantonese Instant Pot Braised Beef with Daikon. Also reference wet but you got to have a food preference in your room that plate looks great. Especially with the weather you're having up there sounds like it would be very enjoyable and nourishing hope you enjoyed it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Flat iron steak, mushrooms, rutabaga gratin looks wonderful unfortunately in Costa Rica I don't think it's available was the last of the Misfit experiment. It was actually pretty darn good. I'd do it again.

006.thumb.jpg.4f65b1a79934799f667a6a2ea93c9f48.jpg

• Like 1