• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

8 hours ago, shain said:

@Objective Foodie very similar to the recipe I use, only difference is that I use slightly less cheese and keep the garlic raw. I want to try and make trofie one day. I love it and it's not available here. 

Trofie are great, @shain. We haven't tried making them ourselves, but it sounds like a nice project! 

• Like 1

@Shelby – I always love your big sandwiches!

On Thursday I finished up the meat sauce:

IMG_5027.jpg.949815792665082549398c1a46d137f4.jpg

Served with a salad and some cheese bread out of the freezer that I toasted and added garlic and butter to. 

Dinner last night was IP pot roast and noodles with CSO broccoli done on the “Bake/Steam” setting:

IMG_5034.jpg.67f0b5b2e3c17c681883ffd9f6b659e5.jpg

Served with bread machine “French bread” and applesauce.  I had some elderly apples that weren’t good for anything but applesauce:

IMG_5033.jpg.336971582580ea8438ccefeb06625226.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday's dinner ;

1591368327_HP1.thumb.jpg.28c02dec42fb5a52129947e5a20a7441.jpg

drained and rinsed Diner Peas from Target.  note they are small , and do not have added salt.

1240582526_HP2.thumb.jpg.1a269bfbf2b81501c8b58a8b3f678d89.jpg

minced and soaked in cold water  "  Country Ham Seasoning Pieces "  most fat removed.

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Country-Ham-pSeasoning-Pieces_p-p2-2-Lb-Pkgs/productinfo/840/

these are very very smokey and salty , as one might suspect.   in the cold water soak , a lot of the salt is

removed and enough of the very very very smokey flavor to be ' just right '

Ravioli from TJ's , Vacc'd and Fz , refrigerator thawed and ready for its Bath

747771240_HP3.thumb.jpg.14ce4508e819078dc9a6c08a714f2d81.jpg

ham dice gently sautéed in my 10 " Fond-Less pan , of which im quite fond of these days 

Wait !

I know we live in topsy-turvy times , but is that Fond in the Fond-Less ?

drunk.jpeg.a3e0b0aebfddb8759eebaf9983585341.jpeg

1209470302_HP4.thumb.jpg.81f1cc8110d2f530489b57c1a8bdf68a.jpg

as these were ' beef '  I cooked them in some Minor low-er-salt soup base

the added the ham and the peas.

N.B. :  there is no final pictured.  Camera fine , BTW

this smelled so good , and tasted sooooo good , I forgot.

didn't even add some TJ's house cheddar , as planned.

or green onion tops , which Im getting very very low on.

I forgot how tasty Ham and Peas are.  esp w de-salted CountryHam

( I have several packs , many in my refrigerator , and some in the freezers in the basement.)

I know they don't need refrigeration or freezing.  I check that all the bags were sealed tight

and choose to do this " just in case "   I don't regret it.

I also have a ' supply ' of these ham bits :

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Premium-CountrypHam-Seasoning-Pieces_pp-4-1-lb-Pkgs/productinfo/830/

I moved in this direction on my second ( large ) order some time ago

as they were all on sale.   there is a fare amount of fat on the first items , very little on the second

and I think the price difference is well worth it for the premium if you don't plan to use the fat.

this was a really really good dinner.

all items are available by clicking ' return '

a new-dish standard for me , pre-vacc's

the target peas are almost the same as Le Sueur peas :

https://lesueurvegetables.com/vegetable/le-sueur-very-young-small-sweet-peas/

I can't  really explain the Fond.  An Inversion ?   I put some stock from the Rav's

in the FL  pan and the Not-Fond dissolved nicely.

this is going to be on my menu for quite some time.

I also plan to dice up several cups of the country ham

add to a SV bag , w several ice cubes and vac.  then 130.1 F for a few hours

to remove most of the salt and enough of the Smoke to be " Suburban Ham "

I use ice cubes as its easier to seal ( quickly ) than using cold water.

no other reason

great stuff !

when I run out of ravioli , bow-ties ( Barilla ) will do fine.

I impressed myself !

ravioli about to simmer in the MC2 medium pan .  also a current favorite

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Valentine's Eve dinner...

Keep stirring - never stop. When the eggs reach the perfect consistency, they get hit with a dash of heavy cream, which stops the cooking.

IMG_3560.thumb.jpeg.e18f7f62918ea1808f30f8cecbc61c35.jpeg

Cool plate so as not to cook the eggs any more.  A few slices of Perigord truffle atop.

IMG_3561.thumb.jpeg.d4ac00b4f23b318786b75d1521664dc6.jpeg

With some toasts and crêpes de pommes de terre. Salad too.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

More info on these, please?   

You're referring to the potato pancakes??? (or my use of Google translate from English to French is really bad!!)

They were previously baked potatoes, shredded on a grater, minced a little shallot, seasoned up, and fried in olive oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Got a bunch of tomatillos in my Imperfect box yesterday specifically for making salsa verde which I've been craving.  Ronnie doesn't like it...I think if I added some of my canned tomatoes he would, but then it wouldn't be salsa verde any more..... It freezes well so I'll have a nice batch in the freezer for later.  RG beans, guacamole and chicken enchiladas to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_0544.jpg.f155c9ac26d41a482ec280fe6149bdba.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0545.jpg.b5f2cc4fca16713aab6d39cca0c9ab4b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0546.jpg.136747b439e5ff3fc9041a2f889fbfac.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0548.jpg.4cf39eca79497df7515bd5fce87d5b94.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

This is what happens if Valentine’s day collides with family traditions ...

Pizza in an auspicious shape ...

82CC3DE0-FB92-4D88-9A96-37A45FA373DC.thumb.jpeg.50b7c0196226a1823b51aec132eb76d7.jpeg

And a regular shaped one (in which I slipped some tongue - corned beef tongue, that is ...) ...

2E4EC5FB-6610-4CBC-952E-970CFAE6C0D2.thumb.jpeg.2a79504aa57f95cb95f5ec646c1a760a.jpeg

And “When Marnie was there ...”

B412DBEA-196B-418C-B068-B71F3417273B.png.b1f518498e034d2da8b95ba503b4ef05.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

Yesterday's dinner ;

1591368327_HP1.thumb.jpg.28c02dec42fb5a52129947e5a20a7441.jpg

drained and rinsed Diner Peas from Target.  note they are small , and do not have added salt.

1240582526_HP2.thumb.jpg.1a269bfbf2b81501c8b58a8b3f678d89.jpg

minced and soaked in cold water  "  Country Ham Seasoning Pieces "  most fat removed.

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Country-Ham-pSeasoning-Pieces_p-p2-2-Lb-Pkgs/productinfo/840/

these are very very smokey and salty , as one might suspect.   in the cold water soak , a lot of the salt is

removed and enough of the very very very smokey flavor to be ' just right '

Ravioli from TJ's , Vacc'd and Fz , refrigerator thawed and ready for its Bath

747771240_HP3.thumb.jpg.14ce4508e819078dc9a6c08a714f2d81.jpg

ham dice gently sautéed in my 10 " Fond-Less pan , of which im quite fond of these days 

Wait !

I know we live in topsy-turvy times , but is that Fond in the Fond-Less ?

drunk.jpeg.a3e0b0aebfddb8759eebaf9983585341.jpeg

1209470302_HP4.thumb.jpg.81f1cc8110d2f530489b57c1a8bdf68a.jpg

as these were ' beef '  I cooked them in some Minor low-er-salt soup base

the added the ham and the peas.

N.B. :  there is no final pictured.  Camera fine , BTW

this smelled so good , and tasted sooooo good , I forgot.

didn't even add some TJ's house cheddar , as planned.

or green onion tops , which Im getting very very low on.

I forgot how tasty Ham and Peas are.  esp w de-salted CountryHam

( I have several packs , many in my refrigerator , and some in the freezers in the basement.)

I know they don't need refrigeration or freezing.  I check that all the bags were sealed tight

and choose to do this " just in case "   I don't regret it.

I also have a ' supply ' of these ham bits :

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Premium-CountrypHam-Seasoning-Pieces_pp-4-1-lb-Pkgs/productinfo/830/

I moved in this direction on my second ( large ) order some time ago

as they were all on sale.   there is a fare amount of fat on the first items , very little on the second

and I think the price difference is well worth it for the premium if you don't plan to use the fat.

this was a really really good dinner.

all items are available by clicking ' return '

a new-dish standard for me , pre-vacc's

the target peas are almost the same as Le Sueur peas :

https://lesueurvegetables.com/vegetable/le-sueur-very-young-small-sweet-peas/

I can't  really explain the Fond.  An Inversion ?   I put some stock from the Rav's

in the FL  pan and the Not-Fond dissolved nicely.

this is going to be on my menu for quite some time.

I also plan to dice up several cups of the country ham

add to a SV bag , w several ice cubes and vac.  then 130.1 F for a few hours

to remove most of the salt and enough of the Smoke to be " Suburban Ham "

I use ice cubes as its easier to seal ( quickly ) than using cold water.

no other reason

great stuff !

when I run out of ravioli , bow-ties ( Barilla ) will do fine.

I impressed myself !

ravioli about to simmer in the MC2 medium pan .  also a current favorite

Frozen peas are on the menu here tonight.  Peas in abundance.  It seems I misclicked on the quantity from my last amazon delivery.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Almost thought we wouldn't see a Dungeness Crab season.  It typically kicks off around the first two weeks of December.  There were many factors that made us think we'd have to wait until December 2021, including ocean conditions, testing of the crabs, pricing issues between the fishermen and the processors, and then the pandemic.  But last week they started showing up in our markets in Eastern, WA.  The season is always up and down, and the past few days has been stormy off the WA coast so we may not see many Dungeness for the next week or so.  This is my recipe for Dungeness Crab Cakes that I make each year.  Packed with mainly just crab, a little fresh breadcrumb as a binder, and homemade mayonnaise.  

Dungeness Crab Cakes.JPG

Dungeness Crab Cakes #2.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Back when my restaurant was open, my now-GF would come with her now-ex for brunch. She'd always order the eggs Bennie variation with my house-cured gravlax under the eggs. I make it now with store bought cold-smoked salmon instead (because small-batch gravlax is a PITA, and a full filet falls into "a ham and two people" territory), and it's kind of our "thing."

So that plus some roasted asparagus is dinner tonight, with an ice cream cake for dessert (she loves those). Sadly she has to work, but gets an extra 15 minutes for her lunch break (45 minutes, instead of 30) so there's time. I just have to have it all ready when her break starts.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Almost thought we wouldn't see a Dungeness Crab season.  It typically kicks off around the first two weeks of December.  There were many factors that made us think we'd have to wait until December 2021, including ocean conditions, testing of the crabs, pricing issues between the fishermen and the processors, and then the pandemic.  But last week they started showing up in our markets in Eastern, WA.  The season is always up and down, and the past few days has been stormy off the WA coast so we may not see many Dungeness for the next week or so.  This is my recipe for Dungeness Crab Cakes that I make each year.  Packed with mainly just crab, a little fresh breadcrumb as a binder, and homemade mayonnaise.  

Dungeness Crab Cakes.JPG

Very nice light prep. I am not gonna make it to fish market if they even have any.  

• Like 2

Today is the second day in a row that I made these.  We couldn't eat them yesterday because somehow I filled the sugar canister with salt.  Charlie ordered sushi for delivery.  Fortunately I had an extra package of chicken wings to properly make this Korean style chicken wings. 

20210214_161521.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Dungeness Crab Cakes.JPG

This is the mayonnaise recipe:

2 large eggs

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1-1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

2 tsp. chopped fresh dill or other herbs

Place the eggs, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a blender. Process just until ingredients are combined, about 20 seconds.

With blender running at low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil in a slow steady stream. Continue to add enough oil until the mayonnaise thickens. This will take about 3-5 minutes. 

Refrigerate the mayonnaise at least one hour before using to allow it to cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, David Ross said:

This is the mayonnaise recipe:

2 large eggs

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1-1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

2 tsp. chopped fresh dill or other herbs

Place the eggs, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a blender. Process just until ingredients are combined, about 20 seconds.

With blender running at low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil in a slow steady stream. Continue to add enough oil until the mayonnaise thickens. This will take about 3-5 minutes. 

Refrigerate the mayonnaise at least one hour before using to allow it to cool.

And the crab cakes:

1 2-3 lb. crab yields 2 1/2 cups Cooked, fresh Dungeness Crab

1/4 cup dill mayonnaise

1/4 cup fresh white bread crumbs

2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper

1 tbsp. chopped chives

1/2 tsp. each salt and black pepper

1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning

6 tbsp. drawn butter

chives for garnish

fresh lemon wedges for garnish

curly parsley for garnish

crab legs for garnish

Prepare the Dill Mayonnaise. You can make the mayonnaise a day ahead.

To make the fresh breadcrumbs, cut the crust off 3 slices of white bread. Pulse quickly in a food processor to make fine bread crumbs.

In a large mixing bowl, add the crab, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, red bell pepper and chives. Season with salt, pepper and Old Bay, then gently toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate the crab cake mixture for one hour before sautéing.

Use your favorite recipe for clarified butter/drawn butter. 

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the drawn butter. Gently form crab cakes and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Gently turn and sauté the crab cakes on the other side, another 3 minutes.

To serve, place the crab cakes on a serving platter. Drizzle with some dill mayonnaise. Garnish the top of the crab cakes with crab legs, chives and fresh dill. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and a garnish of curly parsley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1