• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

59 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@weinoo What's the Rx for the endive?

Eat 2 and call me in the morning? 🤣

I brown 'em in some butter, salt and pepper, then add liquid (water or stock - I used water + some stock I had), bring to a boil, braise (covered) for a while till nice and tender - then I uncover, put back on the stove and reduce till the liquid is basically gone.  This is pretty classic per Olney, Lulu, Julia, et al. Some add a dash of sugar to aid browing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I brown 'em in some butter, salt and pepper, then add liquid (water or stock - I used water + some stock I had), bring to a boil, braise (covered) for a while till nice and tender - then I uncover, put back on the stove and reduce till the liquid is basically gone.  This is pretty classic per Olney, Lulu, Julia, et al. Some add a dash of sugar to aid browing.

I used to do this from time to time.... Love 'em that way.

• Like 1

I forgot to take a photo, but -- in honor of Lunar New Year, I stir-fried diced-up turkey tenderloins with onion, garlic, ginger, cauliflower and broccoli, then tossed in a sauce of soy sauce, miren, and gochujang sauce with a short splash of sesame oil for good measure.

Put the broccoli in too early so it was overcooked, but otherwise, pretty good.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I do this to romaine and endive (sans the braising) in butter in a saute pan, covered so it steams in its own juices.  I'll try your way . sounds tasty

• Like 1

@weinoo A belated happy birthday.    Glad to see you celebrating well.

Held up in town so arrived in country at dusk and rain.    Had left keys in town.   Aaaargh.    No flashlight either; that was with keys, at mechanic's getting stolen  catalytic converter replaced.    Husband finally found stashed house keys and we were grateful for dry sanctuary and fireplace.    But cooking beyond us ->   jarred soup  and grilled cheese sandwich.    Grateful for small pleasures.

390987814_ScreenShot2021-02-12at7_28_48AM.thumb.png.c16c4a8fdced277b0c9b9fc6f408d125.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

29 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I do this to romaine and endive (sans the braising) in butter in a saute pan, covered so it steams in its own juices.  I'll try your way . sounds tasty

yes, either way is great. I also like various veg à la Grecque; slightly different, but also classic.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I love endive done this way but I have never tried it with romaine. Bet it would work great with little gems also.  I usually finish with some grated Parmesan. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

@weinoo just bought endive at the store today. Please share prep. Nevermind, I just saw the prep upstream

Also - these were pretty big, so I sliced them in half. If smaller, you can always leave them whole.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Salad not shown.  You don’t make friends with salad! 

Yep if i was meant to eat salad i would have been born as a cow.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Under imminent threat of a Rancho Gordo bean club shipment, I boiled up a mess of beans.  Most I reserved for fagioli e tonno.  For tonight's dinner the rest I baked with leftover duck legs as the apogee of unctuosity.  Notable that this was the first actual use of the lovely donabe that I purchased a couple years ago.

Salad with Momofuku not shown.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Quite the vibrant pesto. Your favorite basil and proportions? I'm in.

It's really delicious too.

Try to find very fresh and healthy looking sweet basil. Ligurian varieties would be ideal. For 2 large servings (240g of pasta) we have come up with these proportions over time:

1 large clove of garlic (microwaved 15s to tone down the pungent notes)

Pinch of salt

30g pine nuts (optional: slightly toasted)

50g basil (no stems, makes it stringy)

50g of finely grated Parmigiano 

Crush to a smooth paste adding each ingredient in that order. You can also blend it, Lingurians would protest, but we don't care.

Add some fruity Olive oil until the paste acquires a viscosity and consistency similar to ketchup or mayonnaise. Arbequina or cornicabra olive oils work perfectly if you can't find any Ligurian one. Their green colour also intensifies the colour of the pesto naturally.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was hungry for a big sandwich again.  Really had to scrounge around to find different meats...had some ham in the freezer and a few pieces of salami so that worked. 

thumbnail_IMG_0530.jpg.a52459d2e9d020e91ee180b2b4857980.jpg

Roasted a young Canadian goose night before last.  Probably the last one of the season as it's too dangerously cold to go hunting for the next few days.  Scalloped potatoes, breaded tomatoes and @weinoo's celery root salad with it.

thumbnail_IMG_0532.jpg.f676bed95ecbc313c8298534a3b55e94.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0533.jpg.c530cf9b1d66af84f9b6354c16ec2971.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0534.jpg.0208bed62090a39c2c5585aff7857330.jpg

Rabbit ravioli with roasted green beans last night.

thumbnail_IMG_0541.jpg.a7ab30f5ad4ae68455d0b7b198b36f3d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

I did an early Valentine's dinner, so oysters were a given.

IMG_20210212_204921937.thumb.jpg.36c240d65f69c7520e7a3954282dcf23.jpg

These were grilled with black pepper, blood orange zest and crème fraîche.

No more photos, but they were followed by a whole brill with sauce maltaise, a piece of Etivaz and a chocolate and blood orange soufflé.

• Like 10