• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

33 minutes ago, Dante said:

Pullum Parthicum variation (using chicken breast instead of a whole spatchcocked chicken), cooked in red wine, black pepper, asafoetida, celery leaf, ground caraway seed, and fish sauce. served with couscous and arugula.

20210209_200243.jpg

Most interesting.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Rigatoni alla Norma. Tomato sauce, eggplants, dry strong sirene (in lieu of ricotta salata), basil, toasted bread crumbs with olive oil.

Limoncello (last year's batch coming to an end). Mine mixed with a bit of gin.

PXL_20210108_123142803.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

38 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Baked Chicken Legs & Rice 

"Mum, did you burn my chicken" 

"No it's just the spices" 

"It's okay if you did"

"Taste it it just went dark, it's fine" 

-eats-

"Fine like Charcoal" 🙃

LOL One of my stepdaughters is "weird" (her word) about anything even slightly dark on her food. This extends to toast, which she likes at a stage of just barely off-white.

I like mine a shade or two darker than most, so every time she visits overnight she calls out dramatically at breakfast time "Someone call a neurologist, I keep smelling burnt toast!"

• Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Baked Chicken Legs & Rice 

"Mum, did you burn my chicken" 

"No it's just the spices" 

"It's okay if you did"

"Taste it it just went dark, it's fine" 

-eats-

"Fine like Charcoal" 🙃

20210211_211203.thumb.jpg.c635df975fb71905b46e3575ba43b02b.jpg

Nothing burnt on those legs but really that plate is so cool!

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

Birthday dinner last night...

IMG_3540.thumb.jpeg.fd8f1712cca8d732213436e0babfb859.jpeg

First delivery of ready-to-eat food since pandemic began. The place I wanted to order from wouldn't deliver to us...too far. Yes, they are more than 2 miles away. So I took a chance and ordered from a fairly new place we'd never tried, but which had good feedback. They had actually opened 2 weeks before everything shut down here.

We were not disappointed. The chirashi platter (on the left) was for Significant Eater, and I had the sushi sashimi combo. They use partially milled rice, which is new to me for high-end sushi!! Don't worry, they didn't forget the uni - it was just hidden under the green stuff. There were 2 of these, just brimming...

IMG_3541.thumb.jpeg.e5ed2514fad68f0bb15931a7b632d79d.jpeg

Only disappointment is that I had no idea what some of the fish is.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

First delivery of ready-to-eat food since pandemic began. The place I wanted to order from wouldn't deliver to us...too far. Yes, they are more than 2 miles away. So I took a chance and ordered from a fairly new place we'd never tried, but which had good feedback. They had actually opened 2 weeks before everything shut down here.

We were not disappointed. The chirashi platter (on the left) was for Significant Eater, and I had the sushi sashimi combo. They use partially milled rice, which is new to me for high-end sushi!! Don't worry, they didn't forget the uni - it was just hidden under the green stuff. There were 2 of these, just brimming...

do you mind me asking which restaurant this is from?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Looks delicious. I haven't had sushi since lockdown. Was SE's birthday yesterday the 10th? Or was it yours? My daughter turned 33 yesterday! 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

@Ann_T – what are your veal rolls stuffed with?

Happy Anniversary to @weinoo and @Eatmywords!

@mgaretz – the sauce on your beef and broccoli is so nice and glossy and dark!

We’re still eating Super Bowl leftovers.  Last night was crab meltaways, meatballs, and deviled eggs:

IMG_5021.thumb.jpg.e4d93bfa67c0d8499a7658500303a708.jpg

Close up of the meltaways:

IMG_5022.jpg.868c2b019d04c72c9dfa8682408da91d.jpg

For those not familiar with this snack, let me educate you.  Like the grape jelly/BBQ sauce meatballs this is a 1960/70s throwback.  You mix crabmeat, mayo, butter, processed cheese spread, seasoned salt and garlic granules.  That is spread on English muffin halves and frozen.  Those are cut into quarters and frozen in a bag.  When ready to serve, you put them on a baking sheet and broil until bubbly.  Like the meatballs, they are ridiculous and delicious and disappear in a moment when set out at a party.

Served with a salad:

IMG_5018.jpg.8f185f5a8950b23a875d04e0dddec427.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is torture.  Please, no more. 

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@mgaretz – the sauce on your beef and broccoli is so nice and glossy and dark!

Thanks but it is pretty simple:  Mostly low sodium soy sauce, some oyster sauce, some cream sherry and a water/cornstarch slurry.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

You can skip the entire box - just give me a plate of that uni (and some sake) !!!

It was very good!  

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

do you mind me asking which restaurant this is from?

Of course not!  Nakaji.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Looks delicious. I haven't had sushi since lockdown. Was SE's birthday yesterday the 10th? Or was it yours? My daughter turned 33 yesterday! 

It was. Wow, happy birthday to your daughter. Amazing that I turned 34 yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – what are your veal rolls stuffed with?

@Kim Shook  I just winged it.  So no real recipe.

Sauted in butter, shallots, garlic, a little sausage meat, finely chopped mushrooms, fresh bread crumbs, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and seasoned with rubbed sage. Pounded out the veal cutlets, seasoned with salt, pepper and brushed with a little Dijon mustard, spread with filling and rolled. Browned in a little butter. Removed from the pan and made a sauce by sauteing sliced mushrooms, a minced garlic clove, added flour, cooked a couple of minutes, added chicken broth, salt, pepper and put the veal back in the sauce, covered and simmered for about 45 minutes until meat was tender. Added some heavy cream and served.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back to the drudgery of cooking, yet keeping it simple...

IMG_3545.thumb.jpeg.444bb8078dc3daa65337a1669cd3b605.jpeg

Braised endive. Love this prep.

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.2b2a53f84139bc1e0602dd43acd61d7f.jpeg

Spaghetti with black truffles and parmesan. So good. So easy.

Now of this dish, Significant Eater mentioned how she could get used to truffles (and me preparing them, evidently). So I'm like - "Hey - these things are expensive. Get a job!" Then I'm like: - "Oh, you're the one with the job." 

The last of the truffles will be used in a brouillade.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog