• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Shrimp with ginger, garlic and spring onion (scallion). Rice.

20210207_182512.thumb.jpg.895a82ea3fbe86df8c7b9ae8fe64568f.jpg

20210207_182536.jpg

Looks great.  I've been wondering about a few things... sort of in the Language thread vein, I notice you call them shrimp (as do I) yet it seems as though most of the world calls them prawns. Is it common to call them shrimp in Scotland/UK?  Also, I've noticed that they typically appear uncleaned - do they have a way of removing the digestive tract without splitting the shrimp, or are the shrimp small enough where there isn't enough vein to worry about?

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Technically, shrimp and prawn are two different but related species. Though that distinction tends only to be observed by zoologists and pedants.

Normally, I would call most of them prawns. In the UK, 'shrimp', is usually reserved for the smallest varieties. In fact, 'shrimp' is a common expression used to describe anything or anyone of less than average stature.

I suppose, living abroad for half my life in places where 'shrimp' is preferred, I have reluctantly taken to calling them all 'shrimp', irrespective of their true nature. Saves endless explanations. Although 'prawn' is more common worldwide.

I'm not sure what you mean my crustacians look uncleaned! They are most certainly cleaned.

I never split prawns/shrimp to devein them. It is easy to do so by other methods. I use the toothpick method. That said, many I buy have been starved for some time and have naturaly purged themselves.

Frozen critters are often sold here deveined, but also unsplit - not that I buy them often.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This doesn't look like much, but it was.  I got some lamb in my Imperfect box yesterday.  Ronnie really likes lamb....me, well, I've had some that I like and some that I very much dislike.  Don't ask me what cuts but if you forced me I'd say they were all chops.  Why would I like some and find others very off-putting?  I don't know.  Anyway, Ronnie was quite surprised to find out we were having lamb stew last night.  OH it was GOOD.  The lamb was so tender.  Maybe I'm a real grown-up now and I like lamb?????  I have started liking coffee more.....

thumbnail_IMG_0479.jpg.d1c79b00712ecc780953f0e663291b1e.jpg

Served with just out of the oven warm bread and lots of butter.

thumbnail_IMG_0480.jpg.07e5e406832338de42fef8c0918f9226.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

@Shelby 

that stew really looks good

the bread looks fantastuic !

Lamb's flavor varies w age of the lamb and where 

it comes from.  New Zealand lamb is different

than American , and possibly even Canadian.

some is stronger , which Im guessing you don't care for

and those flavors are accentuated in the lambs fat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Hmmm.

Technically, shrimp and prawn are two different but related species. Though that distinction tends only to be observed by zoologists and pedants.

Normally, I would call most of them prawns. In the UK, 'shrimp', is usually reserved for the smallest varieties. In fact, 'shrimp' is a common expression used to describe anything or anyone of less than average stature.

I suppose, living abroad for half my life in places where 'shrimp' is preferred, I have reluctantly taken to calling them all 'shrimp', irrespective of their true nature. Saves endless explanations. Although 'prawn' is more common worldwide.

I'm not sure what you mean my crustacians look uncleaned! They are most certainly cleaned.

I never split prawns/shrimp to devein them. It is easy to do so by other methods. I use the toothpick method. That said, many I buy have been starved for some time and have naturaly purged themselves.

Frozen critters are often sold here deveined, but also unsplit - not that I buy them often.

Sorry - I didn't mean that they weren't clean - just not split.  I've tried the toothpick method but it seemed so slow compared with splitting and washing under running water.  Maybe it's just that I need practice.

28 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Sorry - I didn't mean that they weren't clean - just not split.  I've tried the toothpick method but it seemed so slow compared with splitting and washing under running water.  Maybe it's just that I need practice.

Yes. It's slower, but what's the hurry!?

I like the texture of the critters left more or less whole. Actually, I prefer them skin, head and tail on! I am especially uninterested in splitting the smaller ones.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shain said:

Generally those are a bit leaner (less butter/oil) than either blintzes or crepes. As thick as blintzes, but a bit less airy. That said, there's a large variation between cooks and recpies. 

The grannies just eyeballed the batter. Lean as I recall. I was more powdered vanilla sugar and lemon. Powdered sugar in a shaker tin with a stick of vanilla bean kept inside. In regular Friday dinner rotation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Hmmm.

Pedant that I am, I still distinguish between the two. And I'd contend that they cook differently too and the distinction is useful.

In cooking we even distinguish between subtypes of one species all the time. Think of all the tomato and potato cultivars.

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Pedant that I am, I still distinguish between the two. And I'd contend that they cook differently too and the distinction is useful.

In cooking we even distinguish between subtypes of one species all the time. Think of all the tomato and potato cultivars.

I'm quite partial to shrimp/prawn pedantry, too, but attempt to keep it out of discussions here unless specifically asked. It serves no useful purpose.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. It's slower, but what's the hurry!?

I like the texture of the critters left more or less whole. Actually, I prefer them skin, head and tail on! I am especially uninterested in splitting the smaller ones.

Deveining shrimp is my least favorite chore. Thankfully my husband is willing to do it now. I've tried the toothpickie thingie to abject failure. I just make a slit the depth of the vein and then remove the vein, so the shrimp is virtually whole. In recipes that require the shell on, most suggest cutting the shell with a scissors along the line of the vein, then doing what I do and keeping the shell almost intact. I have no idea if said husband would be willing to fuss with that, so I typically don't make dishes that require the shell on. Too bad, because I adore  tearing into messy Salt and Pepper Shrimp Chinese style.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm quite partial to shrimp/prawn pedantry, too, but attempt to keep it out of discussions here unless specifically asked. It serves no useful purpose.

I see your point but, as tedious as it can be, taxonomy isn't trivial.

Let down your guard on prawns and before you know it barbarians are at the gates

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I can understand that, but I'm maybe just strange! I quite enjoy it!

I used to do it without a problem, but the older I get the more squeamish I get about handling raw protein, whether shrimp, chicken or fish. I would prefer not to. 

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Deveining shrimp is my least favorite chore. Thankfully my husband is willing to do it now. I've tried the toothpickie thingie to abject failure. I just make a slit the depth of the vein and then remove the vein, so the shrimp is virtually whole. In recipes that require the shell on, most suggest cutting the shell with a scissors along the line of the vein, then doing what I do and keeping the shell almost intact. I have no idea if said husband would be willing to fuss with that, so I typically don't make dishes that require the shell on. Too bad, because I adore  tearing into messy Salt and Pepper Shrimp Chinese style.

I got those whole, fresh Carolina prawns (weekly, now, it seems) and I like to clean them - I had a really great shrimp deveiner, but can't find it (and I bought a new one from OXO - one of the few things made by OXO which sucks). I just take a paring knife and cut through.

@Katie Meadow - disposable gloves?

1470607601_Headonprawnsplancha12-18.thumb.jpeg.1931754e9ddb8d099f13321e3dd16b5c.jpeg

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I got those whole, fresh Carolina prawns (weekly, now, it seems) and I like to clean them - I had a really great shrimp deveiner, but can't find it (and I bought a new one from OXO - one of the few things made by OXO which sucks). I just take a paring knife and cut through.

Paring knifer here as well. I have prepped a lot of shrimp and find it quite cathartic when you can pull a fat vein (well digestive tract) out with your thumb and forefinger finger with one little tug. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's - Fresh Halibut 

101248299_BakedHalibutFebruary6th20211.thumb.jpg.d8364c666e1e7e59fdcadee61bb6b925.jpg

Served with just fried potatoes. 

Your halibut always draws me in. I can get it at a premium price at my fishmonger but it just never compares to what the guys would catch in Alaska and bring home. I will continue to enjoy vicariously.

Edited by heidih
Fix fishing location (log)
  • Like 3

Broth drunk in a cup alongside the solids.

L0QQYUR.jpg

Also beer

baNYuEm.jpg

Button dumplings with vegetables cooked in cream

Zg49bIe.jpg

Today at home watching the garden birds and not in Baja Sur watching the whales

PD0gxGx.jpg

My new fridge, courtesy of nature. (Joking. Just glad I don't live in somewhere with this kind of winter!)

hH3EpUl.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Also, I'm going to pop this here as I will no doubt be having some for dinner soon.

I purchased a pickled pork leg and turned it into ham.  In the smoker @110c till an internal of 65c.  Beautiful and moist.

IMG_20210207_140210.thumb.jpg.311b69c5907a1e7fae10a915b54e48c3.jpg

IMG_20210208_084435.thumb.jpg.f1b9225cb7c4e7bd914d6083e6eeabdf.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2