• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

For the first time in a year, I relented and made plov. Non-traditional, with pork shoulder, but still very much plov.

I love it, probably my favourite rice dish of all time (who doesn't like a greasy rice dish?), but it is not possible to make it in small quantities...

IMG_20210203_192233099.thumb.jpg.bd91bef3276eea4998b72adf3826c304.jpg

This was dinner for two, but will last for days. It's excellent in a tortilla wrap, too.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

The "meez" (with apologies to Anthony Bourdain RIP)...

IMG_3480.thumb.jpeg.0546e5bf75f832e6933ef6abb1932783.jpeg

For a Chinese dinner.

IMG_3481.thumb.jpeg.f159d9d147bf4794df06ee9380b27bad.jpeg

Simple stir-fry. Salt, tiny bit of sugar. The rather unpicturesque main...

IMG_3482.thumb.jpeg.97b91e0e41dca5fef76758a0868e9f76.jpeg

Mapo tofu.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Ann_T – your blue plate special looks delightful!  One of my all-time favorite meals.

@Margaret Pilgrim– the red cooked pork looks delicious and sent me off looking for recipes.  Did you use pork belly? 

Turned the leftover spaghetti and meatballs into baked spaghetti:

IMG_4960.jpg.906d2f57be96b113fa71b2fdda43c2cd.jpg

I’ve learned that in Italy this is known as Pasta al Forno.  I didn’t grow up calling it that.  Except for my great grandfather (who mostly cursed😁), my Italian immigrant family didn’t speak any Italian. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

The "meez" (with apologies to Anthony Bourdain RIP)...

IMG_3480.thumb.jpeg.0546e5bf75f832e6933ef6abb1932783.jpeg

For a Chinese dinner.

IMG_3481.thumb.jpeg.f159d9d147bf4794df06ee9380b27bad.jpeg

Simple stir-fry. Salt, tiny bit of sugar. The rather unpicturesque main...

IMG_3482.thumb.jpeg.97b91e0e41dca5fef76758a0868e9f76.jpeg

Mapo tofu.

Looks good.  One thing I've been adding to my veggie stir fries is a bit of chicken powder. Takes it from great to "is this from teh restaurant?"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Do you dip your grilled cheese in ketchup?

i've been known to do so, on occasion, when there's not tomato soup, or a spicy pepper paste available. but this was for the so. i don't really eat bread or carbs much these days so i just some of the melty cheese. :V

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

i've been known to do so, on occasion, when there's not tomato soup, or a spicy pepper paste available. but this was for the so. i don't really eat bread or carbs much these days so i just some of the melty cheese. :V

I love dipping in ketchup....even better adding a fried egg.....

I'm hungry.  Ignore me lol.

• Haha 3

Dinner was take out because the tuna I took out for dinner didn’t defrost. Pizza (pretty good) and a pasta (not good). However they also gave us 2 slices as a bonus (veggie) because they had extras, so DH has lunch for tomorrow (as the pasta leftovers were binned). I guess the net result was positive.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Looks good.  One thing I've been adding to my veggie stir fries is a bit of chicken powder. Takes it from great to "is this from teh restaurant?"

The whole (for me, anyway) idea is for it to be better than from the restaurant!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My husband bought two big bags of string beans from Costco and not happy, thinking we love them, bought some more today. Expect some string beans dishes in the next few days 🤣 Fish is almaco, which I hope not to see in a while 😙

0C3F2EAE-9381-4D8A-AF07-E131709A6B6C.jpeg

87F66AA9-EF4D-4259-A163-8E8B6E549072.jpeg

A8D723FC-C2AD-4B84-A5FE-7A6FE1D03DBD.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

The card price was very good as well!

And I was thinking Germany had cheap pork meat ... is this from a regular butcher/supermarket ? It definitely looks good, but(t) for that price I‘d probably only get roadkill here 😉

• Delicious 1