• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

40 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Surprisingly, it was quite convincing.  

Thank you for this recipe. The pastry really sounds good. Unfortunately, I have never seen a rutabaga in Costa Rica so I have to substitute carrots. Good, but just doesn't have quite the right taste. Also, the beef here just isn't right for pasties. I have to pre cook it or sometimes I have even opted for ground beef. In Butte, Montana, they make pasties like a round ball, almost like a Chinese bao.

No need to apologize for your gravy, it sounds like it has a lot of layers of good flavor. Some shortcuts are surprisingly good . Years ago, a chef, that I worked for, taught me his secret for quick au jus. It was water, good bouillon powder, soy sauce and granulated garlic.

11 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Except for not being round, your pastie recipe sounds like it's from Butte, Montana, also. They look delicious as does your hot beef sandwich.   Are you using The Butte, Montana Centennial cookbook?

Are you from Butte???   I lived there in the early 60's.

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

"My grandma was not Cornish" pasties.    Steak, potato, rutabega, onion in suet and butter pastry.  

491874779_ScreenShot2021-01-31at5_51_18PM.thumb.png.3a6557581a3b3b38d6c882aea5639d3b.png

Served with mid-Century Butte, MT diner beef gravy.

1902589827_ScreenShot2021-01-31at5_50_27PM.thumb.png.9809be1b92ecb27ad0397395d834e11c.png

Oh my!  There's hardly anything I enjoy more than a good pasty.  Butte has really good ones and those in the U.P. are too.  We have a shop here in Hamilton that makes great pasties.  I buy a half dozen at a time and freeze them.  Wonderful!

• Delicious 2

No, I lived there for a short time in the early 70s. It was the same year that their favorite son, Evel Knievel, fell in the Snake River. Also, it was the same time that the mine started to devour and destroy old time downtown Butte. I would have loved to have seen Butte in the sixties before they destroyed it. With all the different ethnic groups, Butte had a fantastic food history. When @Margaret Pilgrim mentioned Butte diner food, it made me remember the hundred-year-old diner downtown that had the ratty old wolverine in the window. Her hot beef sandwich looked just like theirs.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)

Everything looks so good to me right now. 

@gfweb – I can vouch for that SV pork dish.  It is a favorite around here.

@weinoo – you’ve inspired me to dig some meatballs that I made back in December out of the freezer.  I’ve got some shortcut marinara, a can of San Marzano tomatoes, and some crusty bread in the freezer.  The meatballs are already roasted (I haven’t pan-fried them in years) and will heat up just perfectly in the sauce.

@liamsaunt – well your appetizers sure look better than mine did the other night!😁

I did fish and chips for dinner last night, along with some onion rings and slaw:

IMG_4943.jpg.1e756ed06a2476a054e48c3064ef8d0f.jpg

IMG_4946.jpg.99010f3ee6f6c91b5dc479ce13ada59d.jpg

The fish was haddock, and the batter was a recipe from @liamsaunt.  Thank you so much, @liamsaunt!  It was the best battered fish I’ve ever made.  It was very slightly greasy – I think because the electric skillet I used just couldn’t keep the heat up when I put the cold battered fish in.  But it was just barely noticeable.  The onion rings and chips were excellent.  Served with a choice of:

IMG_4942.thumb.jpg.a476deaea48e3ccb6facc5310397b9f0.jpg

No pickled onions, though☹️.  Some advice, please?  The Heinz malt vinegar lacked "punch".  I seem to remember my parents keeping London Pub at home and I've heard people praise Sarson's.  Any opinions?  Ta!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

London Pub

This is what I always buy.  Good flavor IMO.

I've been lax about taking pictures.  

I had to do pork belly again after making @Duvel's method the other day.  I remembered to take a picture this time, but it didn't turn out as good as the first picture would have.  Still good.  We ate all the crunchy bits.  If we die of this, at least we're happy lol.  Bok choy and drunke noodles to go with (no noodle picture)

thumbnail_IMG_0455.jpg.cf4fff0de966b43f91c6a3c5cb279ede.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0456.jpg.9ec6baa6a55da6c21808181e7ec546bb.jpg

Last of the Gyro meat that I made :( .  Good news is I have more lamb so I'll be making a mix of venison and lamb next time.  

thumbnail_IMG_0462.jpg.ed59a3791f3863949abf77eb25cbee92.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0463.jpg.94b228decf8064924567ec4166db1449.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0464.jpg.c620f076415cccbe8d6837400ce69e2c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

10 hours ago, Franci said:

Trying to make everybody happy. Pizza in teglia, fried shrimp and sauté, salad. Husband wanted to try the frozen Argentinian shrimp from Cotsco but me and the boy are not fans

Quite a cross to bear, @Franci.  Those frozen Argentinian shrimp appear to be the same stuff the Trader Joe's carries. Not a terrible product, but certainly not as delicious as wild shrimp from the gulf or the keys when those might be sourced.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Quite a cross to bear, @Franci.  Those frozen Argentinian shrimp appear to be the same stuff the Trader Joe's carries. Not a terrible product, but certainly not as delicious as wild shrimp from the gulf or the keys when those might be sourced.

That’s what we get from a local frozen chain store, shrimp from the Keys, prefer those for sure!

• Like 1

In addition to pizza last night, yesterday was a fine day for soup making.

IMG_3459.thumb.jpeg.cfa1b74939e7de5aae83513fea816a36.jpeg

Bean soup with a few parmesan rinds, but no stock or meat of any kind. Quite delicious. These @rancho_gordo cranberry beans make a lovely broth.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

a small 3.3lb boneless pork butt. scored the fat cap and made a paste of fennel seeds, garlic, dijon mustard and olive oil.

rubbed that all over. cooked at 275F until internal temp was 140F. then blasted in a 450 oven for another 10 min.

No picture of the roasted broccoli with shallots served alongside.

Foillard Fleurie to drink

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

6 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Burgers, cooked SV then seared, served with steamed cauliflower with butter.

After all the many ways we have to cook cauliflower simple steamed cauliflower with butter is quite appealing. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

While mentally working on the rabbit cook-off, I am of course observing important festivities ... such as Setsubun !

鬼は外! 福は内, everyone !

Traditionally eaten are ehō-maki, large maki sushi, consumed while looking into this year’s auspicious direction (south south west).

28FF7AD5-24B2-41ED-9DC3-D99F8061EE9F.thumb.jpeg.ecbc75880cba8de85cc09045e1a4a708.jpeg

Augmented by Asahi, Gyoza (Ajinomoto), copious amounts of sake and one of the best movie of all times, Tonari no Totoro ...

F06BD2ED-4711-46DC-B9D2-A68D9DE6F904.thumb.jpeg.772602618586fa03a6bd7d3f060fe74d.jpeg

538B3B72-CE87-4CF2-9765-B6DDE073A8A2.jpeg.fad520d674c535a9680b10ed73345297.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@Duvel - Can you share more about those large maki rolls?  My kids would go ape-shit over them...

It is regular futomaki, so a big roll made from one piece of nori and rolled around a generous filling. The difference is that futomaki is usually sliced up, while ehō-maki is eaten as a whole (there are some connotation on that in Osaka, but I won’t get into details here). And the ehō-maki should be eaten while facing in a certain direction and in silence.

So, nori, sushi rice and some filling - I used dashi-tamago (and omelette flavored with fishstock and sugar), avocado and smoked salmon. I also added pickled daikon for crunch. Roll up (kids can help) and enjoy ... 

92E7D883-56E3-4ADD-B1C4-AFA99B70EBF6.thumb.jpeg.7e3821cd26e2e07788aae29fb9ce4733.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

is this possibly a 

Sausage  

w Wasabi ?  

1501426290_SSS.thumb.jpg.df08a06f609c9e630cb1e511e112eca9.jpg

Sure, but ...

Karashi - Japanese mustard - is equally sinus-clearing as wasabi !

The most popular Japanese sausage is called Schauessen (German heritage): it is small, but very savory and has a crunchy texture. Japanese go crazy over it ... Schauessen, karashi & Asahi beer 🤞

• Thanks 1

""  Schauessen, karashi & Asahi beer ""

guessIll need those to finish the movie

I can wait

and wait some more

BBC Endeavor 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavour_(TV_series)

required me to get :

1)  some 

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/lagavulin-16-yr/p/643750?s=1701&igrules=true

my friend recommended it, but it was $ 59 USA pre tarifs

2 ) and some of this :

https://www.totalwine.com/beer/ale/pale-ale/english-pale-ale/boddingtons-pub-ale/p/10751162?s=1701&igrules=true

then

3 ) https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/gin/bombay-sapphire/p/1658010?s=1701&igrules=true

but I tried this

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/gin/bombay-sapphire-east/p/118391750?s=1701&igrules=true

could not tell the difference

as the Chief inspector said :

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504320/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5

' Fresh Limes "

• Like 1