• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Sunday night „Pizza & Movie“, with todays choices:

Champignons, Burrata & Iberico ham ...

DCE0D445-3A9F-4FB7-8245-C232C7E64F66.thumb.jpeg.9de3648a1097b1d85a409439f8f9518c.jpeg

Anchovies, olives & onions (plus 1/3 with the popular 1st variety, to keep for tomorrow) ...

144DD5AC-1AC6-4936-8770-8B7A90F7C053.thumb.jpeg.1c3a3de186024d8a6dc8df10ce0b73e3.jpeg

... and „Hotel Transylvania 2“ 🤗

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

For the past couple of weeks, on Saturday I use the website random.country to choose a cuisine to try.  This week I got Morocco.  I made seven vegetable couscous and khobz.  The vegetables are onion, garlic, cauliflower, turnip, carrot, cabbage and tomato (a fruit but I am counting it to get to seven). The dish also has chickpeas, golden raisins and cilantro.

855579000_sevenvegetablecouscous.thumb.jpg.67bb1efbae7806099b30956792201801.jpg

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

For the past couple of weeks, on Saturday I use the website random.country to choose a cuisine to try

What a fun way to keep things interesting in the kitchen and on the table. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_3373.thumb.jpeg.dc74ef1c1b8ce9f76cf8e91abbb8f7db.jpeg

Marcella's Smothered Cabbage Soup. Consistency of risi e bisi. (Italian congee?)

63304906203__EB22F702-4B3B-407C-A530-453780453FA9.thumb.jpeg.a1da9333e70deac18c573f0ee7fe8a31.jpeg

D'artagnan Berkshire porterhouse chop - I did it in a well-heated cast iron pan, in the oven, under the broiler. Might've gone a minute too long, but still quite luscious and juicy.

Last night my dinner was a Berkshire chop.  Thanks for sparing me from having to post a picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, scamhi said:

a dry aged burger blend from Flannery Beef.

And grilled burgers with roasted sweet potatoes and home made cole slaw

2018 Lapierre Morgon N (unsulfured)

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

Oh man, that's an excellent bottle of wine. Last time I had it was 2011 or so. Lucky you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Some Beef Short ribs rubbed with salt, pepper and ground coffee then smoked.

IMG_20210124_190413.thumb.jpg.bf54710765b66c3f4e0781607be8a1ed.jpg

That looks like my kind of 'cue. Delicious!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

A bottle of Malbec, 5 bottles of water and two fruit mentos. 

Sounds about right....2 fruit mentos to keep the kids busy and 5 bottles of water to wash your feet....😁

• Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Sounds about right....2 fruit mentos to keep the kids busy and 5 bottles of water to wash your feet....😁

What kids dribble fruit mento saliva onto the floor? I missed the meaning I think.

1 minute ago, MetsFan5 said:

What do I know? I don’t have kids and barely have a husband. 

I have kids but I don't have a husband or a wife.  And I confess I don't know what fruit mentos are.

A couple days ago I defrosted the freezer.  Dinner tonight is a formerly frozen rib steak that I anovaed and am now about to go sear on my Philips grill.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

What kids dribble fruit mento saliva onto the floor? I missed the meaning I think.

If those kids are drooling on the floor they are way too young to have fruit mentos. That's neither the size or shape you want stuck in your kid's airway.

well actually the way to use the fruit mentos is to show the kids (to get their hopes up), then throw them (the mentos, not the kid...although...)onto the back lawn and tell the kids to go find them. If the lawn is long enough it will take them long enough for you to enjoy the Malbec.

You want the after taste of the wine to linger as long as you can so rather than drink the water and dilute the taste, wash your feet.

Q.E.D.😀

• Haha 4

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

One of our favorites, from the Italian-American canon...

IMG_3389.thumb.jpeg.5145dafc3e36bd2e6175b25c0c69dd76.jpeg

Not gorgeous chicken scarpariello.  I didn't have a bell pepper on hand (I'm sure some here wouldn't miss it at all); I subbed celery. I did have those hot cherry peppers - and they are really HOT. The chicken parts I used were 4 legs and 4 wings, after cutting up two whole birds, stock making, portioning, etc.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/23/2021 at 3:52 PM, btbyrd said:

Thanks! My family has always, and I mean always, cooked burgers on the grill. I've always considered the "grilled, roughly 1/3lb burger" to be my personal burger-making style; its what I grew up with and it's what I've been making my entire adult life. But I recently got a small Blackstone griddle and decided to give the smash variety a try; we love them at restaurants, but never made them at home because we haven't had a cooking surface large enough to cook them efficiently. But oh my goodness, this was probably the best burger I've ever made, and I doubt I'll make them another way for quite some time. As for the fries, they were hand cut. I follow a modified version of the ChefSteps thick cut fries recipe, the potatoes get a pre-soak in Pectinex SPL and are then blanched in simmering brine instead of cooking them sous vide. You blanch them until they're almost falling apart, let them dry, and do a low-temp fry to set the crust. Then freeze them and do a final high-temp fry to brown them up and warm them through. The fries are superior, but the downside of blanching them until they're almost falling apart is that they're very fragile and you end up breaking a lot of them. The batch in the photo was the busted/broken dregs of a larger batch that I'd used for steak frites and fish/chips. Just realized that I never posted the fish and chips, so here they are with the unbroken "fancy" fries:

1632861131_FishandChips.thumb.jpg.29f8d8aca9bf11caae6d619f0fba494a.jpg

I use a fries recipe very similar except it makes thin fries and the boil time is shorter. 

Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch strips, soak in water a couple minutes, transfer to pot with water to cover.. about 4 cups.  Add 2 Tbsp salt and 2 Tbsp. white vinegar and turn heat on high.  When boiling, time for five minutes, then transfer to cold water to stop cooking.  Spread on dish towel and dry.   

Fry @ 375 for just one minute.  Drain and freeze.  When ready to cook fry from frozen@ 375 for three minutes, transfer to paper towels, salt and serve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 7:41 AM, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews 

""   I have noticed sometimes on her recipes, the list of ingredients don't always jibe with the directions.  ""

The Understatement of the Month.

Once she (Martha) had a cookie contest and the grand winner was for chocolate cookies.  Two  of the ingredients were Dutch Cocoa powder and baking soda.  Turned out the recipe does not work with those two ingredients.  You need to use either baking powder or cocoa powder like Hershey.  Dutch cocoa powder does not have the acid needed to work with baking soda.  The first time I used Hershey cocoa and they came out fine. Next time I uses Dutch cocoa and they were totally flat.  They even spread.  It took me six months to figure out what was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, scamhi said:

stuffed tomatoes- Tomates Farcie

With pork, onion garlic, sage, parsley and one egg.

With a special bottle of red burgundy for no particular reason.

12 minutes ago, scamhi said:

IMG_3601.jpg

And a Durand, the purpose we know.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?