• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Really?!  I've always seen both given. Maybe you just mistook the slaw for a pickle.

I haven't been to New York much, but the few times I have been there I always hit a few delis.  Never got slaw, and sometimes not even a pickle, except as side with the sandwich.  But there's a deli in PA that I've been to a few times and they have a pickle/slaw bar (free) with different pickle and slaw styles.  My last trip to NY I went to a well-rated deli and I ordered a pastrami sandwich.  I just assumed it would come on Jewish rye.  Nope.  Plain white bread.  Don't recall the name of the deli but somewhere in the vicinity of Queens.

I don't think we have any more Jewish delis in the Bay Area any longer, but now I make my own rye bread, pastrami, pickles and slaw.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

99241791_MillBasinDelisnacks2016_03_12.thumb.JPG.2f15bc3670439c91795b73e4f3cc80d5.JPG

Mill Basin Kosher Deli

From trip advisor:

My family took a quick 1 night stay in NYC with the number 1 goal of visiting the 9/11 Memorial. While there, I wanted to try a few different corned beef sandwiches.
I read good reviews about Sarge's so figured I would give it a shot. I was not disappointed. In fact, I LOVED it!. I had the standard corned beef and it was more than enough, but at $13 or so, you would think they would add a pickle or some chips. However, they do provide a large bowl of pickles and cole slaw to every table, so I guess that was OK.

My only gripe with that idiot's post is - THEY DID ADD A PICKLE. IT WAS ON THE TABLE, LIKE YOU WROTE!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Really?!  I've always seen both given. Maybe you just mistook the slaw for a pickle.

Or maybe I thought someone ordered it? Or maybe I just assumed the food appeared like magic in front of me? My deli days are way behind me. I've lived away from NY a lot of years, but I can still tell slaw from a pickle, thank you very much!

7 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I haven't been to New York much, but the few times I have been there I always hit a few delis.  Never got slaw, and sometimes not even a pickle, except as side with the sandwich.  But there's a deli in PA that I've been to a few times and they have a pickle/slaw bar (free) with different pickle and slaw styles.  My last trip to NY I went to a well-rated deli and I ordered a pastrami sandwich.  I just assumed it would come on Jewish rye.  Nope.  Plain white bread.  Don't recall the name of the deli but somewhere in the vicinity of Queens.

I don't think we have any more Jewish delis in the Bay Area any longer, but now I make my own rye bread, pastrami, pickles and slaw.

Okay, pastrami on white is really sad. Like a raisin bagel is sad. They should have asked, and I would have sent it back or bought two slices of rye bread and done the conversion myself. 

• Like 2

My child has returned! He was fed emphatically on the drive home to quiet his chatter so I am to believe. I fed him chicken nuggets when he asked because I have to reinstate myself as best parent ever. 

He is refusing bed because he is a "Bacon Zombie" but I am not an enabler. 

20210118_213051.thumb.jpg.1d67f2704d5ad59547ab0b342409d704.jpg

Here is the tiniest air frier bacon sandwich ever (bread plate). 

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I think you do, actually. https://wisesonsdeli.com/

As far as your deli experience here in Queens, which I'm sorry about - just because a place calls itself a deli, doesn't mean they have a clue.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Squash gratin

lnJkd7s.jpg

SV sweetbreads

sjOzU4F.jpg

Ordered from my organic butcher, 1 kilo of calves' sweetbreads. The most expensive offal. More expensive than any meat I could buy here, actually.

HQRgtwN.jpg

Yesterday

rqeJd4V.jpg

Congrats on the inaugural snow, you could have helped yourself to some of ours far earlier in the season!  Oh, and if you can still see the green, that ain't really snow!  More like the threat of, a tease....if you will! ;)

Curious as to what the white sauce the sweetbreads and morels are in is?

Love sweetbreads, one of the most underappreciated 'cuts' available.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

As far as your deli experience here in Queens, which I'm sorry about - just because a place calls itself a deli, doesn't mean they have a clue.

Yes, they actually are doing food truck pop-ups at our temple occasionally, but the prices are extremely high.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I had no idea about Wise Sons. My source for lox, bagels and cream cheese is Beauty's Bagels in Oakland, apparently a partner! The bagels are quite good. When I've stayed in NY in the last few years I didn't bother to search out a deli. We usually split our stay between my oldest friend who lives in Chelsea and the Beacon Hotel in the West 70's. The Beacon has kitchenettes with toasters and is right across the street from Fairway, so several days in a row I get my breakfast lox and bagels fix in my hotel room. 2020 was the first year we didn't go back.

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

The deli was Ben's and it appears they have closed their doors.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

@mgaretz 

quite some time ago

one my first ' real ' job

after being a scout dog and Slave 

for some time 

and I do not regret any minute of it ..

was on Long Island

they had a Ben's there

and from time to time 

a group of us went  there for

pastrami etc.

very good ., but not Montreal Hot Smoked Meat

wonder if that's the dame Bens ?

this was

1985 or so.

a big shame 

but good for my tired and clogged coronaries 

that 

Montreal Hot Smoked Meat

https://schwartzsdeli.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

has not migrated S of the Border..

I went there 6 or so times 

and Im here :

"" 1/2 Fat ""  see ?

• Like 1

@weinoo – that is honestly the first sheet pan meal that has appealed to me. 

@Shelby – I forgot to say – Happy Birthday to Ronnie!

@Paul Bacino – braciole is a favorite of ours, but I’ve never prepped the meat like you have.  We used to get it brought to us from a Philly butcher shop once in a while.  Not lately, though.  You make it look fairly simple.  I should give it a try. 

Friday dinner was IP brisket and gravy.  Browned brisket:

IMG_4768.thumb.jpg.81c7e1ea9f6a7e20497068fcb9499528.jpg

Finished:

IMG_4769.jpg.78415fc4d5d06a76e494a45481ee5f48.jpg

Served with IP green beans & potatoes, noodles, and toasted sourdough:

IMG_4770.jpg.bada1874da9701da872534e88d3ac536.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg.86bc88ae16e06a23d7581cac03314309.jpg

Saturday night I took the leftover brisket, gravy, and noodles from the night before and made soup with the addition of some peas and beef stock.  Shredded brisket:

IMG_4780.jpg.1e21e830809fdda8515f7a1433446a30.jpg

With some thinned gravy:

IMG_4781.jpg.e977755b9623afc171834010b30d299b.jpg

Served with some toasted sourdough bread from the freezer:

IMG_4785.thumb.jpg.3a71260d621acf3c9d3c1283b2d6a8c2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo – that is honestly the first sheet pan meal that has appealed to me. 

Oh thank you! Simple is certainly better.  And you know, the chicken is actually really good cold the next day (the leftover potatoes repurposed for breakfast!)!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog