• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Thawed out half of the gyro meat I made a while ago--got some really good pita bread.  I'm glad to still have half left and another package of lamb so I can make more.

thumbnail_IMG_0373.jpg.991b6d4ae144715c483ea575e6cbee66.jpg

broccoli salad

thumbnail_IMG_0372.jpg.aade7b6c10849578309cf9c8d919b12c.jpg

gyro fixings

thumbnail_IMG_0374.jpg.895a5b65fe00cb7d5be77671407137f2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0376.jpg.8a34f10c33c9e1cc61ba78b405891cc2.jpg

Last night I roasted a chicken quarter and some thighs--little tiny baby potatoes (Imperfect Foods calls them Creamer potatoes) were underneath to catch all the drippings.  

thumbnail_IMG_0380.jpg.26c46fbead94a7e70ea85fe64cf9fe2f.jpg

Parsnips and carrots

thumbnail_IMG_0378.jpg.58582bf3515056194960b683ba00ead7.jpg

brussels sprouts and tomatoes

thumbnail_IMG_0379.jpg.4f39f888d3403e720fc691522f7a3879.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0381.jpg.8ec4058c187640471634d54f109e2880.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thawed out half of the gyro meat I made a while ago--got some really good pita bread.  I'm glad to still have half left and another package of lamb so I can make more.

thumbnail_IMG_0373.jpg.991b6d4ae144715c483ea575e6cbee66.jpg

broccoli salad

thumbnail_IMG_0372.jpg.aade7b6c10849578309cf9c8d919b12c.jpg

gyro fixings

thumbnail_IMG_0374.jpg.895a5b65fe00cb7d5be77671407137f2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0376.jpg.8a34f10c33c9e1cc61ba78b405891cc2.jpg

Last night I roasted a chicken quarter and some thighs--little tiny baby potatoes (Imperfect Foods calls them Creamer potatoes) were underneath to catch all the drippings.  

thumbnail_IMG_0380.jpg.26c46fbead94a7e70ea85fe64cf9fe2f.jpg

Parsnips and carrots

thumbnail_IMG_0378.jpg.58582bf3515056194960b683ba00ead7.jpg

brussels sprouts and tomatoes

thumbnail_IMG_0379.jpg.4f39f888d3403e720fc691522f7a3879.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0381.jpg.8ec4058c187640471634d54f109e2880.jpg

Looks great @Shelby

And talk about a splurge - *7* French fries!!!

😉:laugh:

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It is.  Bacon, red onion, broccoli, cheddar and a dressing of mayo/sugar/red wine vinegar/black pepper.

Now I know some people dislike green peppers.

And I know some people dislike corn.

Etc. Etc.

(yeah, my problem, and maybe it stems from those oh-so-annoying crudité platters of the 70s (when we weren't doing things which took away our appetites), happens to be raw broccoli, cauliflower, green beans - anything which might be fed to the livestock in that state!).

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Etc. Etc.

(yeah, my problem, and maybe it stems from those oh-so-annoying crudité platters of the 70s (when we weren't doing things which took away our appetites), happens to be raw broccoli, cauliflower, green beans - anything which might be fed to the livestock in that state!).

You can mask a lot with bacon and cheese 🙃

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Etc. Etc.

There's some take delight in the carriages a rolling,
and others take delight in the hurling and the bowling, 
but I take delight in the juice of the barley 
and courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight:

Duck01112021.png

Dinner01112021.png

Duck a l'orange, from Acid Trip.  Attributed to Bertrand Grebaut, Paris.

The recipe specifies duck breasts; however the photograph of the finished dish clearly depicts a leg.  People really ought to test their recipes.

My only complaint is I wish the sauce had been somewhat sweeter.  The recipe does not specify what orange variety, and I used Seville oranges for mine.  More honey might have helped.  Not a difficult procedure other than the orange peels.  Plus I got to use my big Falk frypan.

We made duck with a bigarade sauce a while ago but ours was a bit lighter in colour. The Seville variety is quite bitter and it's usually used in marmalades. I think you should try the Navel variety which is the most popular in any supermarket. Alternatively, blood oranges should be a good option too.

Edited by Objective Foodie (log)

18 minutes ago, Objective Foodie said:

We made duck with a bigarade sauce a while ago but ours was a bit lighter in colour. The Seville variety is quite bitter and it's usually used in marmalades. I think you should try the Navel variety which is the most popular in any supermarket. Alternatively, the blood orange should be a good option too.

Since I live in citrus land I would agree with the Seville bitterness but no no no on Navel - tasteless big goobers usually from supermarket. Off tree - 'nother story. A Valencia type is where I would lean. Better peel oil flavor too. @JoNorvelleWalker lovely meal. Looks like wild rice - your preferred source?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Objective Foodie said:

Our humble Kimcheese: a raw kimchi and a farmhouse aged cheddar melted into a sourdough. We don't actually know who made this sandwich first, nevertheless it's a very comforting combination.

A great surprise - pairs very well with Madeira!

DSC_0543.JPG

Madeira goes with EVERYTHING!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Objective Foodie said:

We made duck with a bigarade sauce a while ago but ours was a bit lighter in colour. The Seville variety is quite bitter and it's usually used in marmalades. I think you should try the Navel variety which is the most popular in any supermarket. Alternatively, blood oranges should be a good option too.

And I had a blood orange in the refrigerator too.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Since I live in citrus land I would agree with the Seville bitterness but no no no on Navel - tasteless big goobers usually from supermarket. Off tree - 'nother story. A Valencia type is where I would lean. Better peel oil flavor too. @JoNorvelleWalker lovely meal. Looks like wild rice - your preferred source?

http://amzn.com/B0059VSNOA

Valencia would ordinarily be my choice but amazon had Seville in stock so I decided to try them, since the recipe did not specify.  Seville are the seediest oranges I have ever seen.

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

The photograph clearly shows the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Wherever you see a leg is beyond me ...

To be clear, I meant the photograph of the duck breast in the cookbook is a picture of a duck leg.  (Granted, easier to see than in my photograph.)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

http://amzn.com/B0059VSNOA

Valencia would ordinarily be my choice but amazon had Seville in stock so I decided to try them, since the recipe did not specify.  Seville are the seediest oranges I have ever seen.

The navels available in our market for juicing these days are pale and tasteless. The Valencias have been better. Also helps to just add the juice of one blood orange. Even if one orange doesn't jazz up the flavor much, at least the color makes you think it's better. I love straight blood orange juice, but you need lots of them. I've used a mix with cara cara oranges and that's pretty good; they are often pretty juicy.

I use Sevilles only for making marmalade, and that's where the seeds come in handy as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, gfweb said:

Description, please?

I'll guess carrots with thyme and oil/vinegar....and  cabbage with dill and caraway?

Asked and answered...

I do use various herbs with  carrots; in this version, dill, chives and parsley (cleaning the herb storage out for tomorrow's delivery). In the celeriac, only parsley.  The carrots' dressing is almost a classic vinaigrette, if mustard heavy, and with lemon juice as the acid component.

For the celeriac - this version, as I am constantly tweaking David's, is equal parts crème fraîche and mayo (Duke's), 2 kinds of mustard, lemon juice. Sometimes I'll sub for the creamy stuff with full-fat yogurt. And interestingly, his recipe for the celery root salad - totally different on his web site vs. in his book.  I go by what I find tastes as close to that which I've eaten in Paris.

Brasserie Bellanger 2020-02-14 lunch.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, liamsaunt said:

Fish and chips.  The fish was cusk from my fish share.

1281559794_fishandchips.thumb.jpg.c35f293028993900a46a688358205c9e.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen cusk in the markets I shop. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing it in markets on the cape, but don't really remember looking for it.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

SV monkfish with creamed spinach. Easy & tasty ...

93A481F4-8C1A-47DB-9B0B-CD3831C4AC0F.thumb.jpeg.fd0d5a86a00bec613005be11352633ba.jpeg

I LOVE monkfish.  Time and temp in the SV?

I was hungry for beets--Ronnie detests them.  More for me.  Shishitos and big sandwiches to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_0383.jpg.0d32f7e469a9c29359d9627a2aa46919.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0384.jpg.d6127a7bb9ab71b8a17d4357261d4083.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1